Welcome To aBlackWeb

Tipping At A Restaurant

SlowFastAmericancrayfish-small.gif

“If you don’t want your waiters all up in your face cheesing for tips, come to the UK”

Actually, you're wrong. The server's pay is a part of the restaurant's overhead just like every other employee's pay is. The owner is legally required to make up the difference if a server's tips plus their hourly wage don't add up to minimum wage, so at a bare minimum they're supposed to include that as a part of their operating budget. What you believe would have merit if it wasn't for the fact that there are restaurants in every one of the states on the west coast that already pay their servers minimum wage or higher. Their pay is factored into the overhead of the establishment just like every other employee.

As for labor charges for other services: Those establishments also factor in their employees wages into their overhead. Labor charges do not go into the worker's pocket like that. If there's no work, they still get paid their hourly wage for being there and available to do work should it come along. They're just allowed to charge for labor as a line-item when it's time to bill the client/customer.

Do you really think auto mechanics get that $70-$90/hr you get charged for "labor" when you pull up to get a new fuel pump installed???

nope.

On average they only make about $18-$20/hr, so where do you think the rest of that money goes? Can you even justify being charged that much when you also pay for parts as well as "shop items"?

It's all for optics. They don't get paid out of the labor charge, they get paid out of the operating budget.

Dude all that shit you wrote was for nothing. We already have restaurants here who have moved away from the tip system and they did exactly what I'm saying they would do. And several other restaurant chains have said they are going to do the same thing. So the shit you're saying doesn't mean anything. At the day, what I'm saying is already a reality at mean places and will soon be at many more. So what I said remains. In a lot of establishments, you're either going to pay a service charge or a tip, but either way you're paying your server.

Dude all that shit you wrote was for nothing. We already have restaurants here who have moved away from the tip system and they did exactly what I'm saying they would do. And several other restaurant chains have said they are going to do the same thing. So the shit you're saying doesn't mean anything. At the day, what I'm saying is already a reality at mean places and will soon be at many more. So what I said remains. In a lot of establishments, you're either going to pay a service charge or a tip, but either way you're paying your server.

sigh... You really believe this, don't you?

You do know that restaurants are under no legal obligation to hand over money collected as a "service charge" to their waitstaff, right?

Most restaurants that charge a "service fee" or whatnot don't give it to their employees; that shit goes straight into the owner's pocket. The owner might use that money to increase everyone's salary so there's no direct correlation between a service charge and the servers being the people that solely benefit from it like tips did. On top of that, places that charge a service fee also discourage tipping their waitstaff.

https://www.laweekly.com/restaurant...staurant-industry-or-legal-wage-theft-7852984

"... Like most people, I assumed that the service charge is a tip. In fact, it is not — in Los Angeles, the money belongs 100 percent to the business itself.

"It is a total land grab," one L.A. server, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told me the day after my service-charges story came out. "These guys are just taking the money and running. It's bullshit." The server described the experience of working in one restaurant that operated with the service-charge model. "At first it was great — we were all making a ton of money. The dishwashers were making, like, $18 an hour! It was amazing for them to have an actual living wage. Everyone was so happy. The servers were making money, the cooks were making money. And then the owners realized that there was all this cash that was legally theirs, and they were giving it away. And slowly, the money started to disappear. We weren't any less busy. But the money went away, and it went straight into the pockets of the owners."

I was told by another disgruntled employee (who asked for anonymity) that it's now becoming commonplace for owners to pocket "service charges" in some of the city's high-end sushi restaurants...
"

That's not to say there aren't ordinances on the books that make it illegal for an owner to keep the service charges, 'cause as the article explains Santa Monica has that on the books, but they're hardly in the majority, so those service charges become free money to the owners and while they do use it pay better wages to their employees, it also adds a helluva pad to their bottom line.

lol Who is talking about legal obligations? Restaurants aren't obligated to give servers all their tips either. Shitty restaurants actually don't give the tips fairly. You're writing this titangraphs, but you aren't really saying anything of substance. Like I said, many restaurants already do this and more are moving towards it. I didn't say all restaurants are doing it or will do it, but the point is for a lot of them that do transition away from tips, people will wind up paying one way or the other.

lol Who is talking about legal obligations? Restaurants aren't obligated to give servers all their tips either. Shitty restaurants actually don't give the tips fairly. You're writing this titangraphs, but you aren't really saying anything of substance. Like I said, many restaurants already do this and more are moving towards it. I didn't say all restaurants are doing it or will do it, but the point is for a lot of them that do transition away from tips, people will wind up paying one way or the other.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2017...regulations-labor-department-makes-good-move/

"... Federal law allows employers to pay tipped workers less than the minimum wage ($2.13 per hour instead of $7.25), but it explicitly says that when employers take advantage of this, they have to let employees keep their tips. Tipped employees can be required to share a tip pool among themselves, but the pool can’t include non-tipped employees or fund other expenses.

There is no such restriction, however, regarding businesses that pay all their employees the full minimum wage or higher. Their tipping systems are supposed to be regulated by the states, if at all. The Obama administration didn’t like this policy, so as was its wont, it made up a new one and declared it the law. According to a 2011 Labor Department regulation, all tips are the property of tipped employees — and no employer can set up a pool that includes non-tipped employees or funds other expenses...
"

and the law itself:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/29/531.52

§ 531.52 General characteristics of “tips.”

A tip is a sum presented by a customer as a gift or gratuity in recognition of some service performed for him. It is to be distinguished from payment of a charge, if any, made for the service. Whether a tip is to be given, and its amount, are matters determined solely by the customer, who has the right to determine who shall be the recipient of the gratuity. Tips are the property of the employee whether or not the employer has taken a tip credit under section 3(m) of the FLSA. The employer is prohibited from using an employee's tips, whether or not it has taken a tip credit, for any reason other than that which is statutorily permitted in section 3(m): As a credit against its minimum wage obligations to the employee, or in furtherance of a valid tip pool. Only tips actually received by an employee as money belonging to the employee may be counted in determining whether the person is a “tipped employee” within the meaning of the Act and in applying the provisions of section 3(m) which govern wage credits for tips.

Now, Trump is trying to undo all of that and congress is likely going to do away with that law, especially if the Republicans take both the House and Senate, but for now the law stands...

... and that means you're wrong.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2017...regulations-labor-department-makes-good-move/

"... Federal law allows employers to pay tipped workers less than the minimum wage ($2.13 per hour instead of $7.25), but it explicitly says that when employers take advantage of this, they have to let employees keep their tips. Tipped employees can be required to share a tip pool among themselves, but the pool can’t include non-tipped employees or fund other expenses.

There is no such restriction, however, regarding businesses that pay all their employees the full minimum wage or higher. Their tipping systems are supposed to be regulated by the states, if at all. The Obama administration didn’t like this policy, so as was its wont, it made up a new one and declared it the law. According to a 2011 Labor Department regulation, all tips are the property of tipped employees — and no employer can set up a pool that includes non-tipped employees or funds other expenses...
"

and the law itself:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/29/531.52

§ 531.52 General characteristics of “tips.”

A tip is a sum presented by a customer as a gift or gratuity in recognition of some service performed for him. It is to be distinguished from payment of a charge, if any, made for the service. Whether a tip is to be given, and its amount, are matters determined solely by the customer, who has the right to determine who shall be the recipient of the gratuity. Tips are the property of the employee whether or not the employer has taken a tip credit under section 3(m) of the FLSA. The employer is prohibited from using an employee's tips, whether or not it has taken a tip credit, for any reason other than that which is statutorily permitted in section 3(m): As a credit against its minimum wage obligations to the employee, or in furtherance of a valid tip pool. Only tips actually received by an employee as money belonging to the employee may be counted in determining whether the person is a “tipped employee” within the meaning of the Act and in applying the provisions of section 3(m) which govern wage credits for tips.

Now, Trump is trying to undo all of that and congress is likely going to do away with that law, especially if the Republicans take both the House and Senate, but for now the law stands...

... and that means you're wrong.

lol What the fuck does that even have to do with what I've been talking about?

lol What the fuck does that even have to do with what I've been talking about?

You said this:

Restaurants aren't obligated to give servers all their tips either.

The law says this:

The Department of Labor said:
Tips are the property of the employee whether or not the employer has taken a tip credit under section 3(m) of the FLSA. The employer is prohibited from using an employee's tips, whether or not it has taken a tip credit, for any reason other than that which is statutorily permitted in section 3(m): As a credit against its minimum wage obligations to the employee, or in furtherance of a valid tip pool.

Ergo, you're dead ass wrong.

Ok, congrats, you proved me wrong on a side point, that I don't really give a shit about and has very little to do with the primary discussion.

What's really sad is that you don't get how integral it is to the whole point. You can't see the forest because of the trees in your way.

You brought this shit up, argued it, had nothing to back up your argument, and now after it's been proven wrong suddenly you didn't give a shit about it to begin with.

Typical.

What's really sad is that you don't get how integral it is to the whole point. You can't see the forest because of the trees in your way.

You brought this shit up, argued it, had nothing to back up your argument, and now after it's been proven wrong suddenly you didn't give a shit about it to begin with.

Typical.

I didn't bring it up. I responded to something you said. I got what is in place now mixed up with what Trump is trying to do. I was wrong. That doesn't have anything to do with what I was originally talking about. You're putting up all these titangraphs and none of it changes the fact that what I'm saying is based on trends that are actually happening. None of that changes the fact that many of these restaurants that attempted to move away from tipping without adjusting their prices either failed or quickly abandoned the practice.

I didn't bring it up. I responded to something you said. I got what is in place now mixed up with what Trump is trying to do. I was wrong. That doesn't have anything to do with what I was originally talking about. You're putting up all these titangraphs and none of it changes the fact that what I'm saying is based on trends that are actually happening. None of that changes the fact that many of these restaurants that attempted to move away from tipping without adjusting their prices either failed or quickly abandoned the practice.

LOL @this interview with ONE dude that has a restaurant in one of the most expensive cities in the world being the voice for everyone. He even admits that he screwed it up!

Just admit you don't understand how a business works and be done with it. I could spot the flaws and misrepresentations in this dude's interview immediately. He ain't tellin the whole truth.

LOL @this interview with ONE dude that has a restaurant in one of the most expensive cities in the world being the voice for everyone. He even admits that he screwed it up!

Just admit you don't understand how a business works and be done with it. I could spot the flaws and misrepresentations in this dude's interview immediately. He ain't tellin the whole truth.

Uh huh

Tipping is a disgrace.

Why am I obligated to provide charitable service to a waiter/waitress for? Who are u, a starving child in Cambodia? Nah, ur glorified plate carriers who are already paid by your employer. I'm just trying to eat the food made with craft and skill by the CHEFS. Lemme pay for my food and skedaddle.

I don't throw a dollar into a bank tellers hand for helping me deposit my money. Or to a barista for prepping my coffee. Y'all are doing what ur hired to do.

I work a service job myself. Where's my moolah? Oh yeah, it comes in a cheque every two weeks. Seems like this "social contract" is arbitrary as all hell.

My Theory: ?

Exploitative employers decided to opportunistically make tipping a matter of "social etiquette" in order to offset their own dearth of providing adequate wages.

And....

The sheer amount of famished simp niggas oggling their favourite waitress a lil too hard thought throwing em a bone in the form of a few bills could buy them some charm. Next thing u know, a horde of plate juggling hoes think they're entitled to my cash. Well biatch, think again.

Who's with me? Tipping can kick rocks.

giphy.gif

Back