Welcome To aBlackWeb

Tipping At A Restaurant

Lol it only took me one time of sitting in my car for 10 mins waiting for somebody to come out to never try curbside again.
I usually do curbside when im already sitting in tbe parking lot so im never ver conscious of how much time elapses

Fuck a service charge. That should already be factored into the price of the meal.

The service charge is factored into the cost of the meal. It's something you pay automatically just like taxes. A lot of restaurants already do that.

Now if you mean it should be factored into the cost of the meals, that's too complicated and doesn't really change anything one way or the other for the customer.

Do you guys tip if you are picking up food? I usually tip 5 dollars on standard if I'm picking up something

I don't really do this to be honest mostly because I don't see where the people giving me the food do enough to deserve a tip in that case. The exception is curbside. I tip when using that.

I got bamboozled once paying a tip on top of there already being a 15% charge that I didn't realize was auto applied to the bill. The waitress was all smiles as if I was tryna be extra gracious. Wack shit... That's what u get when u don't check the receipt.

I got bamboozled once paying a tip on top of there already being a 15% charge that I didn't realize was auto applied to the bill. The waitress was all smiles as if I was tryna be extra gracious. Wack shit... That's what u get when u don't check the receipt.
This happens on vacation all the time....I still break them off though

Lol at giving them a set amount based on the price of the meal and not the service.

I have left no tip before and not gave a single fuck about it.

Had to run down another waiter just for a damn refill.

There seems to be a disconnect here. Servers make MORE than min wage and if they dont, they report it and the restaurant owner is has to make up the difference so that they make at least min wage. Thats the law.

an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the Federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.

But theres a reason why servers purposely, keep spreading disinformation that they dont make min wage. Thats to get sympathy and make even more in tips.

Another thing is they are just now, starting tip sharing policies for back of the house employees,but only in some places. For years servers made more money than all the cooks in the back making the food. They'd hide it by claiming cooks make more an hour but never mention how much they take home in tips. This alone has had cooks pissed off. Now a lot of servers are mad they have to share tips with back of the house staff.

This is story on it in 2015

Cliffs

But there's another problem that's been bubbling up for decades: Many of the people who work the kitchen have been getting short-changed -- especially when compared to the wait staff serving customers.

"The back-of-house staff are typically underpaid compared to the front of the house," said Darren Tristano, executive vice president of Technomic, a restaurant industry research firm. "It's a really big issue."

On paper at least, cooks in this country are paid more than waiters. The median pay for cooks is about $10 an hour, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. For waiters, it's roughly $9 an hour. But those numbers don't tell the whole story -- because waiters are paid tips, and kitchen workers are not. And tips completely skew the comparison.
The government's estimate for how much waiters make includes a bit of guesswork about how much they earn from tips, since tips are often paid in cash, and things paid in cash tend to slip through the cracks. The Atlantic wrote about the issue earlier this year:
...the IRS estimates that as much as 40 percent of tips go unreported. It's hard to track for an obvious reason: Everyone likes giving and getting tips in cash. Nationally this adds up to as much as $11 billion in unreported (and untaxed) income.
Waiters, in other words, are probably making a lot more money than BLS data makes it seem. Pay Scale, which tracks salaries through crowdsourcing, estimates that in cities like Miami, Boston and San Francisco, waiters can expect to make $13 an hour in tips alone, on average. Elsewhere, tips can add well over $10 an hour to servers' salaries.
Waiters working in big cities understand this. But so do cooks, and they aren't happy about it.

Keep in mind, these numbers are from 2015, so i'm sure they've gone up.
The ark of tipping etiquette varies, depending on where you live, but it tends to bend upward. In many cities, the tip norm has crept up from 15 percent of the bill to 18 percent. Where 20 percent was considered generous, 25 percent is becoming the new standard. And that's only widening the gap between what waiters and cooks are paid.

Many restaurants have responded by breaking from the traditional tipping system. Some have gotten rid of tips altogether. For instance, Sushi Yasuda in New York City added this note to its credit card slip a couple years ago: "Sushi Yasuda’s service staff are fully compensated by their salary. Therefore gratuities are not accepted." Many others have simply added a flat service charge.

Trump administration did some law to make them share tips with back of the house. Sounds good for a headline but when you look close, it could give owners loopholes to pay them less and make them live off tips too

Back