Welcome To aBlackWeb

Asian barbershop in Philadelphia opens up in black neighborhood and refuses to hire black barbers

im just fucking with Du fwiw, but there is some truth to my post b/c often too many times, as patrons, while i want the best deal, if im dealing with a black owned business, there is a difference b/t wanting the best deal vs just trying to get as much shit as you possibly can for as little as possible

im not suggesting thats what you doing Du, just an observation based on other experiences

so they try to make up for the lost of clients by charging more vs making something about them stand out to get more client like lowering your prices
which is how my barber got all his customers back, he charged all the business they lost half price to come back, and locked in that price for them,.....

he's the busiest barber in the whole shop, and the only one who has to make appointments

im just fucking with Du fwiw, but there is some truth to my post b/c often too many times, as patrons, while i want the best deal, if im dealing with a black owned business, there is a difference b/t wanting the best deal vs just trying to get as much shit as you possibly can for as little as possible

im not suggesting thats what you doing Du, just an observation based on other experiences
I want just wanted consumer friendly services.

presented, distributed, and charged in a manner that flatters your customer..

make me feel valued and appreciated, and keep your process respectable...

overcharging feels like disrespect.....like you think I'm either too dumb or to ignorant to realize I'm being hustled....

i'll go elsewhere....

I love supporting black business....but I ain't going into debt for that shit....

my uncle had a stage play Saturday, and the nigga charged $30 a head, it was in a church basement, and while I was all about supporting him and encouraging him....that was not a $30 play. it was a $10-15 play.......

and they ran outta food in 20 mins....they was church folk, and I know church folk stash food, so I made them produce some plates... cuz if I'm paying $30 for a $5 play....I ain't tryna hear yall outta food too.....fuck that...

I was overly ignorant that whole day....

Last edited:
thats where we disagree, its only overcharging b/c you set a threshold of what you not going to spend

I mean, im like that when it comes to shoes. We all have our thresholds when it comes to certain things, however, to suggest they are overcharging you b/c they have to compete with the market comes off as cheap

thats where we disagree, its only overcharging b/c you set a threshold of what you not going to spend

I mean, im like that when it comes to shoes. We all have our thresholds when it comes to certain things, however, to suggest they are overcharging you b/c they have to compete with the market comes off as cheap

Naw

I want just wanted consumer friendly services.

present, distribute, and charge in a manner that flatters your customer..

make me feel valued and appreciated, and keep your process respectable...

overcharging feels like disrespect.....like you think I'm either too dumb or to ignorant to realize I'm being hustled....

i'll go elsewhere....

I love supporting black business....but I ain't going into debt for that shit....

my uncle had a stage play Saturday, and the nigga charged $30 a head, it was in a church basement, and while I was all about supporting him and encouraging him....that was not a $30 play. it was a $10-15 play.......

and they ran outta food in 20 mins....they was church folk, and I know church folk stash food, so I made them produce some plates... cuz if I'm paying $30 for a $5 play....I ain't tryna hear yall outta food too.....fuck that...

I was overly ignorant that whole day....
and this is how it should be.

niggas be trynna charge one thing but give a different type of service.
i stopped going to barbers many years ago. it was always some shit.....appointments for cuts....ok but appointments cause you rather be home if you have no reason to be there....i cant rock with...because niggas do walk in....then niggas be on the phone...taking smoke breaks and arguing with other niggas.....
nah..i couldnt do it anymore. simply because i cant see my people failing and they dont even realize it.

how does overcharging help with competing in the market? or how does charging $30 help the market?

it sounds more like someone wants to get it like someone else getting it vs building a brand and name

well you cant try to hide your cheapness behind the guise of supporting black businesses b/c if you really wanted to support them and for 20 years, dude been hooking you up, you shouldnt have an issue with him and price increases over time

how does overcharging help with competing in the market? or how does charging $30 help the market?

it sounds more like someone wants to get it like someone else getting it vs building a brand and name
how is it overcharging when its becoming the standard?

find me a gas station thats charging .89 a gallon when the average cost is $2.50

overcharging to me, is the example about the shirt company he posted and the posts that followed it

like when kanye was trying to charge niggas $250 for blank T-shirts

how is it overcharging when its becoming the standard?

find me a gas station thats charging .89 a gallon when the average cost is $2.50
at times a regular gas station charges one thing when a place like walmart might be 25cent less. market share
but your example is a bad one because the price is set differently do to alot of other factors.
barbers can set their own price....once you got the clippers and a few other things...its not regulated and you can do it yourself.

maybe they gotta pay rent foe a chair so thats why its so high...but that just means build up your clientele and bounce.

even dope boys do 2 for 5's...and their customers are physically addicted....

niggaz can't be overcharging allll the time...

fuck...

at times a regular gas station charges one thing when a place like walmart might be 25cent less. market share
but your example is a bad one because the price is set differently do to alot of other factors.
barbers can set their own price....once you got the clippers and a few other things...its not regulated and you can do it yourself.

maybe they gotta pay rent foe a chair so thats why its so high...but that just means build up your clientele and bounce.
like I said earlier, the busiest barber in my shop is the one who charges the least.....

he ain't gotta worry about chair rent cuz he been in the shop for 20+ years, and he brings in the most customers....so they don't charge him for his chai, he told me that himself, which is why he don't mind giving his peoples half price cuts...if he know u $15 and that's normally discussed in private....but if you a new face, and you don't say someone sent you $30

other niggaz in the shop literally get work cuz Larry's wait be over 4 hours sometimes.....homie clearly know what he doing...he like 7-8 years older than me and been caking off barbering for a minute now.... never once charged me more than $20...inm fact everytime I give him $20 he still start counting out the change..i gotta tell him to keep it each and every time

I give him $50 sometimes around Christmas though

brah, there are barbers who have clients that will pay $100 a cut every single time and they get preferential treatment. Im not advocating the barber charge all of their clients that price, however, unless that person paying $100 is getting their haircut 2x a week or something like that, the barber is going to have to offset the cost of that person not getting their hair cut so they need to make up that ground somewhere and charging 6 people $15 dollars is a lot more work than 3 at ~$30

build up your clientele, bounce and go where? To a building paying more in rent vs a chair at a building? How many people will you have to cut to make up that difference?

overcharging to me, is the example about the shirt company he posted and the posts that followed it

like when kanye was trying to charge niggas $250 for blank T-shirts
and guy why he can charge that?

guess why jordans didnt go down in price?

niggas dont even comparison shop no more.

niggas charge what they want to because they can and people will buy it trying to look like they got it like that when they really dont.

even dope boys do 2 for 5's...and their customers are physically addicted....

niggaz can't be overcharging allll the time...

fuck...
this not crack and its a bad example too

and guy why he can charge that?

guess why jordans didnt go down in price?

niggas dont even comparison shop no more.

niggas charge what they want to because they can and people will buy it trying to look like they got it like that when they really dont.

im not saying he cant, im saying IM not paying it.

That is a T shirt that you will probably wear a handful of times. How often are you getting your haircut/groomed?

i dont even buy jordans in the first place, but thats another convo for another day

Back