Welcome To aBlackWeb

Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Added to Calendar: 05-18-24

Who Wins Tonight?

• Tank Davis

• Frank Martin

Results are only viewable after voting.

I actually worry for DeGale a little bit, I was actually thinking dude might retire after the Traux loss or maybe cash out on a big domestic fight... I think hes an old 32 as dude has had some long tough fights, plus injuries, I just dont think he moves around like he used to and takes too much unnecessary punishment sitting on the ropes instead of spinning off, especially as hes not a massive puncher...

https://www.boxingscene.com/team-povetkin-with-wba-order-aim-force-joshua-shot--126928

Team Povetkin, With WBA Order, Aim To Force Joshua Shot
By Luke Furman

Promoter Andrei Ryabinsky of World of Boxing, who handle Russian heavyweight contender Alexander Povetkin, will do everything possible to force a mandatory fight with WBA, IBO, WBA, IBF world champion Anthony Joshua.

Povetkin is the mandatory challenger under the WBA and WBO - and the World Boxing Association has ordered Joshua to fight him.

“Now there are 150 days to arrange the fight, it must take place,” Ryabinsky stated. “Before the fight with Alexander, Joshua has no right to fight with anybody else. We have 30 days to negotiate.”

Both fighters were in action this past Saturday night, before a crowd of nearly 80,000 at Principality Stadium in Cardiff, Wales.

In the co-featured attraction, Povetkin knocked out Olympic bronze medal winner David Price in brutal fashion in the fifth round.

In the main event - Joshua added the WBO title to his collection with a twelve round unanimous decision over previously undefeated Joseph Parker. It was the first time where Joshua went the full twelve round distance.

Povetkin (34-1, 24 KOs) is now fully focused on getting his mandatory shot against Joshua (21-0, 20 KOs) next.

Like Joshua, Povetkin is an Olympic gold medal winner and a former WBA "regular" heavyweight champion.

"As a whole, I am pleased with the work (in the fight with Price), except for the moment with the knockdown, although at first I was frustrated and many things did not work. Then he quietly opened himself up and eventually I landed the punch that I worked on in sparring. I now have one desire - to fight with Joshua. This will be a good and interesting fight. I am confident in myself," said Povetkin to Vasily Konov.

Joshua and his handlers have been discussing the possibility of fighting WBC champion Deontay Wilder in a summer unification - but that would now require working out a step-aside deal with Povetkin - or getting an exception approved by the WBA.

https://www.boxingscene.com/gary-russell-vs-joseph-diaz-deal-reached-date-site-tba--126931

Gary Russell vs. Joseph Diaz Deal Reached; Date & Site TBA
By Keith Idec

A deal for the WBC featherweight title bout between champion Gary Russell Jr. and mandatory challenger Joseph Diaz Jr. has been completed.

Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez told ringtv.com, a website owned by Golden Boy, for a story posted Friday that the deal has been finalized. According to Gomez, the Russell-Diaz fight could take place at any point from May 19 to June 30 at an undetermined site.

Gomez also stated that HBO or Showtime could televise their 12-round, 126-pound championship match.

Coming to an agreement on financial terms enabled Golden Boy Promotions and Tom Brown, who represented Russell in negotiations on behalf of adviser Al Haymon, to avoid a purse bid.

“It’s his time,” Gomez told ringtv.com regarding Diaz. “He’s ready for it. He’s been waiting for this all his life. He’s fighting the top guy at the weight class, which is Gary Russell. I’m very happy for him, to just see him grow into a man. It’s time. It’s his time to take advantage of all the hard work.”

The 29-year-old Russell (28-1, 17 KOs) has been an elite featherweight for several years, but he has been plagued by inactivity. He’ll end a one-year layoff when he faces the undefeated Diaz.

The 2008 American Olympian has fought just twice since he stopped Mexico’s Jhonny Gonzalez (65-10, 54 KOs) in the fourth round to win the WBC 126-pound championship in March 2015. The Capitol Heights, Maryland, native last fought May 20, the night he conquered Colombia’s Oscar Escandon (25-3, 17 KOs) by seventh-round technical knockout to make the second defense of his title.

The 25-year-old Diaz (26-0, 14 KOs), a 2012 American Olympian from Downey, California, most recently knocked Mexican veteran Victor Terrazas (38-5-2, 21 KOs) in the third round February 22 in Indio, California. Diaz has been very vocal about wanting his shot at Russell, despite Russell’s taunts about Golden Boy Promotions wanting to protect Diaz from him.

“I just feel like he’s running his mouth just to cover his bases,” Diaz told BoxingScene.com recently. “Because at the end of the day, he knows I’ve been calling him out on Twitter, calling him out on Instagram.

“I’ve been mentioning his name a lot because I do wanna fight him. He knows I ain’t no punk and he knows that I do truly wanna fight him.”

Galimore allowed himself to be tied up.. the actual fight was competitive but he was physically outmatched and allowed himself to get tied up.. should've moved more been more consistent with his work.

This nigga Floyd really bout to do this MMA shit.

If he steps in there and wins, damn is all I can say.

Gervonta gonna end up lookin like tre in Boyz N the Hood when he was mad at the run in with the cops hitting absolutely nothing

Damn all those head clashes last fight.. smh.

I believe Lara bout to completely outclass Hurd but that power he has could be a difference maker.

Lara already faced strong punchers and made it difficult for em.

In the words of mills lane, let's get it on!!!

Last edited:
Back