Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Is Bruno Mars a culture vulture?

Lol
Hes been singing r&b for a looong ass time. He wrote for a shit load of people before he came out too. I feel like that early pop shit mightve been labels tryna put people in certain categories regardless of the lane they wanna be in...ie pink

They get called sell-outs/pop.
Nah not rappers like flo rida or pitbull that literally go pop...I mean ppl like chief keef, mr ghetto (wally world guy), any prepackaged rapper that got made fun of on boondocks, the mumble rap drug abusers colored dread mufuckas.....they do just as much (if not more) damage to the culture and don't give a fuck about if what they put out is even good.

Niggas mad at lil pump but let playboi carti slide lolololol

Im not saying he's not talented. Im just saying this retro shit is making him look stagnant to me. Like he can't make good original music so it's just copies. It's the lazy way out. It's the lazy way out to me.

Disagree here and here's why....

If he would've kept doing the same style of Pop music when he first came out "Grenade", "When I Was Your Man", "Just The Way You Are" then he would be stagnant. He'd still be hella successful.... but stagnant in respect to the style of music.

What he's done now is reinvented himself. It kinda started w/ "Locked Out Of Heaven" (which had a Police/Sting sound) and then "Gorilla" then to "Treasure" and then to now what he's currently doing.

IMO, this is what real artist do, they shift They change/switch their sound up all while still sounding lIke themselves @ their core.

Was Switch an all white band or no? I could have thought it was a group that consisted of black members? Wasn't Switch working with the likes of the Jacksons and was under Berry G? Wasn't Switch signed to Motown? so how are they culture vulture when they not only had black members in the group, they were signed to a black label?

And wasn't Debarge mother black? so that does make her children black huh? Didn't the mother come from a gospel background?
If im not mistaken they are everything but black.

culture vulture or nah
tenor.gif

Last edited:
so looks like if you not black, then you a culture vulture

this is some nigga logic

Gabi, Black Samson, Mally G, Race, all came through putting swiss cheese holes in ya arguments that he is a culture vulture

Someone has the talent or is someone imitating the sound?

Having an all black band means what though? If he didn't have an all black band, would you or would you not consider him an culture vulture?, I'm just trying to see how an all black band means he should get a pass.

Justin Timberlake had black dancers as well, even had a black producer and he gave props to folks, and he's going back to his original sound. You can only hide and pretend for so long.

Justin Timberlake is a bad argument in this instance because his "original sound" was Nsync which was pop music. His 1st solo songs were produced by Timbaland and The Neptunes. So all we know from Timberlake is Nsync sounding shit...and then his solo stuff.

Im not saying he's not talented. Im just saying this retro shit is making him look stagnant to me. Like he can't make good original music so it's just copies. It's the lazy way out. It's the lazy way out to me.

When Bruno Mars last album dropped he said he purposely made the songs sound like late 80s and early 90's r&b music because that's what he grew u listening to. So if it sounds like he's just copying on this project it's because that's literally what he did and he didn't hide it. He's said it openly

Are Jon B , Lisa Stansfield, Amy Winehouse, Cypher Hill, Fat Joe, Big Pun, The Beatnuts, The Alchemist, and Dilated Peoples members (Evidence & DJ Babu) "culture vultures"???

Last edited:
Back