Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Is Bruno Mars a culture vulture?

AP2.5

Beef Authority
Site Administrator

Peter Gene Hernandez was born on October 8, 1985, in Honolulu, Hawaii, to Peter Hernandez and Bernadette San Pedro Bayot, and was raised in the Waikiki neighborhood of Honolulu. His father is of half Puerto Rican and half Ashkenazi Jewish descent (from Ukraine and Hungary), and is originally from Brooklyn, New York.

Was having a conversation with another member (ya'll know who), and we were talking about this.

I was on the side that he's not. I think he has always paid homage to a lot of his influences and who inspired him, but some may feel that he is exploiting the culture and not giving anything back

What say you all?

He did say this in Latina Magazine He knows he wouldn't have music career without Black Culture

C3bdu1NW8AApnL4.jpg

Concertgoers will be treated to the Mars stage presence—an aura influenced by his family and the greats: Michael Jackson, James Brown, and Prince. Needless to say, Mars’ music is undoubtedly black.

“When you say ‘black music,’ understand that you are talking about rock, jazz, R&B, reggae, funk, doo-wop, hip-hop, and Motown. Black people created it all. Being Puerto Rican, even salsa music stems back to the Motherland [Africa].

On his '90s music influences: "So In my world, black music means everything. It's what gives America its swag. I'm a child raised in the '90s. Pop music was heavily rooted in R&B from Whitney, Diddy, Dr. Dre, Boyz II Men, Aaliyah, TLC, Babyface, New Edition, Michael, and so much more
As kids this is what was playing on MTV and the radio. This is what we were dancing to at school functions and BBQs. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for these artists who inspired me. They have brought me so much joy and created the soundtrack to my life filled with memories that I'll never forget. Most importantly, they were the superstars that set the bar for me and showed me what it takes to sing a song that can get the whole world dancing, or give a performance that people will talk about forever. Watching them made me feel like I had to be as great as they were in order to even stand a chance in this music business. You gotta sing as if Jodeci is performing after you and dance as if Bobby Brown is coming up next.”

Good thread.

I think dude is, just my thoughts, dude is getting sued outta the ass for the music he's doing now, which is from black culture. I don't think he would have gotten away with what he's doing now if he would have came out around the Motown area. I think those artists, along with Rick James, James Brown, Smokey, Marvin and others, wouldn't co-sign this dude on any level if he did their kind of music let's say back in the 70s.

Just because one grew up on the music doesn't mean that they should be trying to re-create it if they are not black. Stay in your own lane bro. That's like a black boy re-creating Elvis or his act in which Elvis stole from black musicians as well. You don't hear black ppl growing up trying to capture that Elvis feeling

I mean, I ask you @AP21, his last album he dropped, did it sound like the music when he 1st came out? The music is Night and Day.

Just my thoughts on dude and how he's moving.

Reactions: GNS
Good thread.

I think dude is, just my thoughts, dude is getting sued outta the ass for the music he's doing now, which is from black culture. I don't think he would have gotten away with what he's doing now if he would have came out around the Motown area. I think those artists, along with Rick James, James Brown, Smokey, Marvin and others, wouldn't co-sign this dude on any level if he did their kind of music let's say back in the 70s.

Just because one grew up on the music doesn't mean that they should be trying to re-create it if they are not black. Stay in your own lane bro. That's like a black boy re-creating Elvis or his act in which Elvis stole from black musicians as well. You don't hear black ppl growing up trying to capture that Elvis feeling

I mean, I ask you @AP21, his last album he dropped, did it sound like the music when he 1st came out? The music is Night and Day.

That is less of a culture vulture argument and more of a swagger jacker argument. He is getting a little corny with the "throw back" sounding music to me.

Good thread.

Don't think Rick had a problem w/ any "others" being involved in black music

That is less of a culture vulture argument and more of a swagger jacker argument. He is getting a little corny with the "throw back" sounding music to me.
if you think his ode to throw back music is corny, then you would hate Leon Bridges

Don't think Rick had a problem w/ any "others" being involved in black music

I think this a lil different than what Bruno is doing.

Teena was under Rick's guidance/c0-sung with Rick, plus she was on the same label as him.

She got her notoriety by singing songs with him, she didn't just come into the game and drop albums without a black singer backing her?

Who back then that wasn't black did that? Just come into the R&B, funk, soul, and gospel lane and drop music and that black ppl back then took notice to?

Reactions: GNS
if you think his ode to throw back music is corny, then you would hate Leon Bridges

Here's the thing though, why the record labels, radio personnel, are not pushing the Leon dude, along with your P.J. Morton, Rio James etc who are doing the same type of music as Bruno? These ppl are black

R.Kelly did a whole album dedicating vintage music along with Raphael Saadiq

Back