Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Is Bruno Mars a culture vulture?

I actually fuck with Leon. But he stays in the same era, it's the era switching that makes me think he's doing ti just for the attention.

i look at that as expanding his range

that takes talent to avoid pigeon holing yourself into one sound

Here's the thing though, why the record labels, radio personnel, are not pushing the Leon dude, along with your P.J. Morton, Rio James etc who are doing the same type of music as Bruno? These ppl are black

R.Kelly did a whole album dedicating vintage music along with Raphael Saadiq

Leon and Bruno not in the same lane though...as far as sonically speaking

they both make music inspired from eras that predate them, but Leon sounds like he recorded with Otis Redding

i look at that as expanding his range

that takes talent to avoid pigeon holing yourself into one sound
It's one thing to expand your range and there is another thing to take sounds that are already done and recreate them from head to toe. From video to drums, it's a copy. That doesn't take talent, you just copying homework.

If he were to incorporate the sound and put a new spin then he would be doing something, moving it forward. He's looking stagnant right now.

Good thread.

I think dude is, just my thoughts, dude is getting sued outta the ass for the music he's doing now, which is from black culture. I don't think he would have gotten away with what he's doing now if he would have came out around the Motown area. I think those artists, along with Rick James, James Brown, Smokey, Marvin and others, wouldn't co-sign this dude on any level if he did their kind of music let's say back in the 70s.

Just because one grew up on the music doesn't mean that they should be trying to re-create it if they are not black. Stay in your own lane bro. That's like a black boy re-creating Elvis or his act in which Elvis stole from black musicians as well. You don't hear black ppl growing up trying to capture that Elvis feeling

I mean, I ask you @AP21, his last album he dropped, did it sound like the music when he 1st came out? The music is Night and Day.

Just my thoughts on dude and how he's moving.

What makes you say this though? I mean people call Elvis a culture vulture, and one of the people you named, James Brown, cosigned Elvis.

Your second argument is kinda weird. Even by your own logic, how could a black kid be wrong for recreating Elvis' style if Elivis' style itself is just a recreation of black culture. If someone has a talent for certain kinda music, that person should be allowed to express that talent. It doesn't matter if they not the same race as the originators. As long as they pay the proper respects to the originators, what's the problem? And isn't this dude's band full of black people, so not only does he pay homage, he's making sure that more blacks are eating off of black culture. Isn't that a good thing?

Here's the thing though, why the record labels, radio personnel, are not pushing the Leon dude, along with your P.J. Morton, Rio James etc who are doing the same type of music as Bruno? These ppl are black

R.Kelly did a whole album dedicating vintage music along with Raphael Saadiq

I rarely listen to the radio but what other songs from Bruno got any play on black radio stations other than Uptown Funk and That's What I Like?

I rarely listen to the radio but what other songs from Bruno got any play on black radio stations other than Uptown Funk and That's What I Like?
i think he talking about how he doing a remix with Cardi b/c she's the hot thing atm, but i wouldnt limit that to Bruno...that could've been anyone

What makes you say this though? I mean people call Elvis a culture vulture, and one of the people you named, James Brown, cosigned Elvis.

Your second argument is kinda weird. Even by your own logic, how could a black kid be wrong for recreating Elvis' style if Elivis' style itself is just a recreation of black culture. If someone has a talent for certain kinda music, that person should be allowed to express that talent. It doesn't matter if they not the same race as the originators. As long as they pay the proper respects to the originators, what's the problem? And isn't this dude's band full of black people, so not only does he pay homage, he's making sure that more blacks are eating off of black culture. Isn't that a good thing?

Someone has the talent or is someone imitating the sound?

Having an all black band means what though? If he didn't have an all black band, would you or would you not consider him an culture vulture?, I'm just trying to see how an all black band means he should get a pass.

Justin Timberlake had black dancers as well, even had a black producer and he gave props to folks, and he's going back to his original sound. You can only hide and pretend for so long.

Reactions: GNS
It's one thing to expand your range and there is another thing to take sounds that are already done and recreate them from head to toe. From video to drums, it's a copy. That doesn't take talent, you just copying homework.

If he were to incorporate the sound and put a new spin then he would be doing something, moving it forward. He's looking stagnant right now.

well i mean, dude can play multiple instruments and can actually perform

thats talent...if you talking about copying videos, again, i think thats a reach unless im misunderstanding your point

So we giving Justin T. a pass? Because he has talent, maybe more than Bruno??

What about Robin Thicke?

What so different with these cats and Bruno?

All they are doing is copying the sound of our culture

Last edited:
well i mean, dude can play multiple instruments and can actually perform

thats talent...if you talking about copying videos, again, i think thats a reach unless im misunderstanding your point
Im not saying he's not talented. Im just saying this retro shit is making him look stagnant to me. Like he can't make good original music so it's just copies. It's the lazy way out. It's the lazy way out to me.

Im not saying he's not talented. Im just saying this retro shit is making him look stagnant to me. Like he can't make good original music so it's just copies. It's the lazy way out. It's the lazy way out to me.
oh ok...i get you now

well its gonna be interesting to see how his trajectory shapes up after this album

Back