Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Is Bruno Mars a culture vulture?

Nah.

You are saying Bruno has more talent than J.T. (how) what made you come to this thought?

I stated, he can't out dance J.T., and J.T. is a better singer than Bruno to me.

What criteria are you using to come up with your thought
Bruno can sing, play a bunch of instruments, produces/writes his own music, and can dance

what does JT do out of those things better than Bruno?

I agree that culture vulture as a term gets muddy once you're past the blatant "I'm not part of this culture, but Ima take it and make myself rich and famous of it, without even giving props"

Does Lenny make soulful music is what I would ask, I'm not that familiar with dude's music.

Plus isn't Lenny black? aint his mama black? Lol

What I'm asking is, is Lenny and Darius culture vultures for doing "white music".

Cause I'm sure you and GNS wouldn't be alright if some white folks told them they couldn't or shouldn't do the music they do because they are black.

The whole culture vulture concept seems too broad and is kinda silly to me. But maybe you can better explain what you mean by it. I always thought it is when a person imitates a culture for personal gain without crediting or benefiting the originators of the culture. The reasons why I don't think he is a culture vulture under that definitions are:

1) He doesn't just imitate the music. He seems to embrace he musical style and create original works in the same vein. That's different from someone like Timberlake who just hooked up with some black people to get the music and then performed it to build his own career.
2) He always credits blacks and his specific influences for creating the culture and being the reason he has a career.
3) Him surrounding himself with blacks in the band means to some extent he is cognizant of the group that is responsible for the artform and also means that he is benefiting people from the originating group as well as himself even if only on a small scale. And a band is a little different from backup dancers. Backup dancers are just window dressing for performances. They don't really add anything to the music. The band plays an integral part in the music. Hell if you go back to the days of the music that he makes, artists pretty much had to have a good band to get by, so even in that he's being true to the culture.

So what exactly is the problem with him making the music?

The answer to all your questions is "Yes." Sports have associated cultures just like music, and I'm betting you know that. Basketball was most certainly a way of life for the people that created it and grew it into a major sport, just as it is for the people who play it now. The NBA is vast majority black now, and the culture behind basketball in general is a far cry from what it was when whites were the dominant force in the sport, so you could absolutely say that blacks took it away and are now profiteers off of it. Hell, black dominance of basketball is so strong, white Americans can barely even break into the sport anymore. It's not like Bruno Mars' presence is stopping black people from making music anymore.

Why doesn't he have a black person creating the music that will make more money off the music?

What I'm asking is, is Lenny and Darius culture vultures for doing "white music".

Cause I'm sure you and GNS wouldn't be alright if some white folks told them they couldn't or shouldn't do the music they do because they are black.

There is no such thing as "white music"

What is "white music" bro?

Every thing musical come from black ppl bro, even Techno so what is "white music" ?

Reactions: GNS
Wow
Blacks have taken away something that white people willingly give them millions to do....oh ok

You're destroying your own argument. Black people buy Bruno's music and support his efforts too, so by your own logic he's not taking anything from anyone.

But addressing the point you're trying to make, a handful of white billionaires pay NBA players. Those people do not represent all of white America.

Why doesn't he have a black person creating the music that will make more money off the music?
Are you talking about Timberlake? Man at least 90% of his solo songs have been produced by Timbo, which means he'll get half of the publishing if he's the only other songwriter credited. Then half of that other 10% that isn't produced by Timbo is produced by the Neptunes. He even had Brian McKnight produce a song on his first album, not to mention the amount of songs James Fauntleroy has written on over his last couple albums.

You're destroying your own argument. Black people buy Bruno's music and support his efforts too, so by your own logic he's not taking anything from anyone.

But addressing the point you're trying to make, a handful of white billionaires pay NBA players. Those people do not represent all of white America.
A black consumer buying a bruno mars cd = a white billionaire that runs every aspectof the nba

Got it

The whole culture vulture concept seems too broad and is kinda silly to me. But maybe you can better explain what you mean by it. I always thought it is when a person imitates a culture for personal gain without crediting or benefiting the originators of the culture. The reasons why I don't think he is a culture vulture under that definitions are:

1) He doesn't just imitate the music. He seems to embrace he musical style and create original works in the same vein. That's different from someone like Timberlake who just hooked up with some black people to get the music and then performed it to build his own career.
2) He always credits blacks and his specific influences for creating the culture and being the reason he has a career.
3) Him surrounding himself with blacks in the band means to some extent he is cognizant of the group that is responsible for the artform and also means that he is benefiting people from the originating group as well as himself even if only on a small scale. And a band is a little different from backup dancers. Backup dancers are just window dressing for performances. They don't really add anything to the music. The band plays an integral part in the music. Hell if you go back to the days of the music that he makes, artists pretty much had to have a good band to get by, so even in that he's being true to the culture.

So what exactly is the problem with him making the music?

The answer to all your questions is "Yes." Sports have associated cultures just like music, and I'm betting you know that. Basketball was most certainly a way of life for the people that created it and grew it into a major sport, just as it is for the people who play it now. The NBA is vast majority black now, and the culture behind basketball in general is a far cry from what it was when whites were the dominant force in the sport, so you could absolutely say that blacks took it away and are now profiteers off of it. Hell, black dominance of basketball is so strong, white Americans can barely even break into the sport anymore. It's not like Bruno Mars' presence is stopping black people from making music anymore.

Big dog, you do know basketball was a boring game, just like baseball.

Black ppl were the ones to make both games pop off, and I don't believe any white historian information about them creating anything.

Black ppl created the fast-break, created stealing bases, see the Negro League and why the whites dismantled that league.

Black ppl make things pop and go, created more things that ppl can imagine.

Who you think were playing games in the field? cacs?

Breh, No bone in my body believes that a white man created basketball and baseball

Back