Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Is Bruno Mars a culture vulture?

Naw, I don't think he is a culture vulture. Like others said, he pays homage to his idols. He has talent. I don't know much about his lift to know if he gives back. Just speaking on the music. A good comparison would be Eminem. People may hate em for what ever reason, but he paid his dues. And always paid homage. Mars is doing good in my book

Classical
Bluegrass and Folk (basically country music without the black influence)
Ambient and Chill (even though you could argue those forms blend a lot of influences, but whites are basically the progenitors of the genres)
Traditional European Styles (e.g, Celtic music from artists like Enya and Clannad)

I'm just answering your question, not suggesting that Blacks don't have American music on lock, because we all know the truth about that.

Bro stop.

The origin of music comes outta Africa, and they have well over 1,000s of music patterns/melodies/sounds, hell they have drums patterns for certain events, time to eat dinner, a enemy is coming, king is passing etc and you sitting up telling me that whites invented this and that Lol

Bro, come on.

Reactions: GNS
Bro, you really think a crusty ass white man with no skill set invented basketball? come on man Lol.

Who and where did he get this idea from, ole let me guess, he just woke up and saw cacs playing huh? Come on bro.

Dude Little Richard was the best to do it, Elvis copied his whole style from a black man and whites hail him to being the GOAT and shit. Come on big dog Lol.

Yes, I believe a white man came up with putting a peach basket on a pole and getting kids to throw a ball into it. I also believe whites turned it into a sport. Do I believe a white man invented modern NBA style basketball? No, you already pointed out that blacks are responsible for most of the big time innovations in the sport.

And I never said I thought Elvis was the best to do Rock. I just pointed out that people like James Brown cosigned Elvis because they knew he paid his dues among them and they knew he credited blacks with the creation of the artform. People think Elvis just came out of nowhere profiting off of black music. That's not true. Dude was basically a roadie for black musicians for a long time and sleeping on floors and couches at their cribs.

its obvious there seems to be several definitions of culture vultures

Dame told ya'll:

1) a person does not have to be black to be of the culture
2) being of the culture is being around other like minded individuals who are trying to advance the culture

with that being said

Miley Cyrus...culture vulture...started out making pop records. I think her biggest hit to date was 'party in the USA"...once that dried up...she started "twerking"...linked up with Mike Will Made it, then was in the videos wearing jordans and Jordan jerseys...She gets on the dope, then denounces everything about hiphop when she was cool with it a few months previously

Justin Timberlake...culture vulture...started out in pop bands...rocking cornrows. Breaks from the group, drops "Justified" with heavy production from Neptunes/Timbo...Superbowl incident with Janet...she gets blackballed, he just goes on like nothing happened. Never once spoke up for Janet

Maclemore...im not sure what to even call him b/c i know he was pandering to the gay community for sales.

Post Malone...who knows wtf he was doing prior to the success of White Iverson, but dude drops that, tries to stay hip and in the good graces of black folks...fast forward, he talking about how hiphop is the devil

THESE are prime examples

where does Bruno fit on this spectrum

Bruh Bruno started off making pop records lol. What is you saying bro

He fits everything you've described with the other artists you have listed other than the back-lashing part and hair style

Bro stop.

The origin of music comes outta Africa, and they have well over 1,000s of music patterns/melodies/sounds, hell they have drums patterns for certain events, time to eat dinner, a enemy is coming, king is passing etc and you sitting up telling me that whites invented this and that Lol

Bro, come on.

lol you taking shit too far now man. By your logic no nonblack person can do any kind of music without being a culture vulture. How does the drum being used as a form of communication by Africans in the past change the fact that Classical music is European in origin?

Bruh Bruno started off making pop records lol. What is you saying bro

He fits everything you've described with the other artists you have listed other than the back-lashing part and hair style
when did he denounce hiphop/rnb?

knock, how many Mars albums have you listened to in its entirety?

Bro, so just because it's documented that means it's law.

As I asked the other poster, you really think this dude came up with this concept? Really my nigga?

Columbus is documented for discovering America too, so you believe that too huh

giphy.gif

Yes, I believe a white man came up with putting a peach basket on a pole and getting kids to throw a ball into it. I also believe whites turned it into a sport. Do I believe a white man invented modern NBA style basketball? No, you already pointed out that blacks are responsible for most of the big time innovations in the sport.

And I never said I thought Elvis was the best to do Rock. I just pointed out that people like James Brown cosigned Elvis because they knew he paid his dues among them and they knew he credited blacks with the creation of the artform. People think Elvis just came out of nowhere profiting off of black music. That's not true. Dude was basically a roadie for black musicians for a long time and sleeping on floors and couches at their cribs.

Elvis stole from black ppl bro, coming outta nowhere or anywhere doesn't negate the fact that this dude stole from black musicians, all the way down to the dude's dressing style. Aint no white man moving like that bro.

I'll let you believe what you read about basketball being invented by a white man, but I'll say this, if a black person invented the wheel and pretty much everything in this world, even ice hockey why wouldn't you think they didn't invent basketball and baseball?

Elvis stole from black ppl bro, coming outta nowhere or anywhere doesn't negate the fact that this dude stole from black musicians, all the way down to the dude's dressing style. Aint no white man moving like that bro.

I'll let you believe what you read about basketball being invented by a white man, but I'll say this, if a black person invented the wheel and pretty much everything in this world, even ice hockey why wouldn't you think they didn't invent basketball and baseball?

The people behind Elvis stole from black musicians. Whether he knew what they were doing or not, I don't know. Did he swagger jack black musicians? Of course, he spent most of his youth sneaking into Memphis blues clubs, what kinda style would you expect him to have? Again, he moves like that because he observed and was taught by black people to move like that.

Name the black people that invented basketball and baseball? Give me the approximate date for when black people did it. Tell me something that supports your claims other than biased speculation with nothing but your own racial pride as its foundation.

WHAT!!!!

So he also stole the soul of a black man so he can be able to move the way he did. lol

giphy.gif

Him and Timberlake and others benefit from not being black. There are plenty of black artists that are just as talented yet they get revered as the "only soul artists". Maybe not his fault but it's the way it is.

I dont even hate the guy i just dont listen to him or check for him cause i know if a negro was doing what he was doing he damn sho aint getting played on kiss fm and hot 97.
But yea u saying these people can take take take and give props or hire some black people(like that aint an image thing) and everything is cool is a no for me dawg
I don't listen to him like that either, but when I hear his shit I don't see him as a culture vulture......I'm going to keep it a buck
We are guilty of the same shit, look at what these new niggas did to hip hop........They give two fucks about the culture and they proud of it
I wonder if people are just mad because he found his lane and is doing it better than the black artists that's out.

WHAT!!!!

So he also stole the soul of a black man so he can be able to move the way he did. lol

giphy.gif
White people was strongly against sexual gyrations of the hips during that time period, music up to that point was very conservative when it came to selling sex in the 1950's.

Back