Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Is Bruno Mars a culture vulture?

Why though? He pays homage and his entire band is black

So if he paid homage and had an all-white band or an all x band other than black, then he doesn't get a pass? Just because he has these 2, he's good in the black ppl book of acceptance?

I don't get this whole thing about paying homage, (that's a given) it's not your music, and sprinkling in black folks as dancers and instrument players (who ain't the ones that's writing the music and getting points) is just even more sad.

Reactions: GNS
why do you think so?
How is he not?
A Hawaiian, Ukrainian, puerto rican how is black culture his culture unless he is.....copying.

Why though? He pays homage and his entire band is black
So?
Let anyone of those guys try to strike out as their own using the same sound. They arent going nowhere.

Good for him that he acknowledges what everyone knows. It does strike me as odd that i can hear this cat on every radio station urban or otherwise but not the same with black musicians.

Dude is just a non black face used to sell black music which the world has been doing for years

Is Michael Mcdonald a culture vulture? If the music is good......who cares
Shit, Cardi B is a culture vulture in my opinion

Yes he is, I don't care if he do pay homage and have black people in his band. I feel Eminem is one too and he pays homage and have black people working with him. The fact is he's not black getting rich off of the music.

so dancing is the criteria we're basing this on?

Nah.

You are saying Bruno has more talent than J.T. (how) what made you come to this thought?

I stated, he can't out dance J.T., and J.T. is a better singer than Bruno to me.

What criteria are you using to come up with your thought

This is fucking stupid.

Should black people not play basketball anymore? We didn't create that.
Speaking of stupid is the game of basketball a culture or a sport.

Was basketball a way of life for its originators and blacks came in took it a way and now are profiteers off of it.

Or did cacs just hire niggaz to play it?
Smh wtf

Someone has the talent or is someone imitating the sound?

Having an all black band means what though? If he didn't have an all black band, would you or would you not consider him an culture vulture?, I'm just trying to see how an all black band means he should get a pass.

Justin Timberlake had black dancers as well, even had a black producer and he gave props to folks, and he's going back to his original sound. You can only hide and pretend for so long.

The whole culture vulture concept seems too broad and is kinda silly to me. But maybe you can better explain what you mean by it. I always thought it is when a person imitates a culture for personal gain without crediting or benefiting the originators of the culture. The reasons why I don't think he is a culture vulture under that definitions are:

1) He doesn't just imitate the music. He seems to embrace he musical style and create original works in the same vein. That's different from someone like Timberlake who just hooked up with some black people to get the music and then performed it to build his own career.
2) He always credits blacks and his specific influences for creating the culture and being the reason he has a career.
3) Him surrounding himself with blacks in the band means to some extent he is cognizant of the group that is responsible for the artform and also means that he is benefiting people from the originating group as well as himself even if only on a small scale. And a band is a little different from backup dancers. Backup dancers are just window dressing for performances. They don't really add anything to the music. The band plays an integral part in the music. Hell if you go back to the days of the music that he makes, artists pretty much had to have a good band to get by, so even in that he's being true to the culture.

So what exactly is the problem with him making the music?

Speaking of stupid is the game of basketball a culture or a sport.

Was basketball a way of life for its originators and blacks came in took it a way and now are profiteers off of it.

Or did cacs just hire niggaz to play it?
Smh wtf

The answer to all your questions is "Yes." Sports have associated cultures just like music, and I'm betting you know that. Basketball was most certainly a way of life for the people that created it and grew it into a major sport, just as it is for the people who play it now. The NBA is vast majority black now, and the culture behind basketball in general is a far cry from what it was when whites were the dominant force in the sport, so you could absolutely say that blacks took it away and are now profiteers off of it. Hell, black dominance of basketball is so strong, white Americans can barely even break into the sport anymore. It's not like Bruno Mars' presence is stopping black people from making music anymore.

Back