Welcome To aBlackWeb

Is an 18 year old a child to you?!

Is an 18 year old a child to you?!

• Total voters
I think people conflate immature/inexperienced with being a child. I don't think an 18 y/o is a child, but at the same time, I don't think people should expect to 18 y/os to have perfect decision making skills.

We also have to understand that as society changes and evolves, the goalpost for what people in society are expected to be able to do shifts too. 100 years ago it was pretty reasonable for a dude could come out of high school, get a decent job at a factory, marry his high school sweetheart, get a house, and start a family at 18. It's hard to look at that and say the person was a child. Society is more complex now though, and there are a lot more pitfalls and stumbling blocks in place to keep people from maintainin that course at a young age.

I think people conflate immature/inexperienced with being a child. I don't think an 18 y/o is a child, but at the same time, I don't think people should expect to 18 y/os to have perfect decision making skills.

We also have to understand that as society changes and evolves, the goalpost for what people in society are expected to be able to do shifts too. 100 years ago it was pretty reasonable for a dude could come out of high school, get a decent job at a factory, marry his high school sweetheart, get a house, and start a family at 18. It's hard to look at that and say the person was a child. Society is more complex now though, and there are a lot more pitfalls and stumbling blocks in place to keep people from maintainin that course at a young age.
I mean, one of the literal definitions is a person who is immature or irresponsible. You can’t conflate a word with one of its definition.

So unless you believe that all 18 years olds are mature and responsible…then most of them are still children.

There really isn’t any valid argument otherwise.

Last edited:
I mean, one of the literal definitions is a person who is immature or irresponsible. You can’t conflate a word with its definition.

So unless you believe that all 18 years olds are mature and responsible…then most of them are still children.

There really isn’t any valid argument otherwise.

If we're going to play the semantic/definition game. The top definition of child in pretty much every dictionary is some form of the following:

a young human being below the age of puberty or below the legal age of majority:

By the definition given the highest priority, 18 y/os are not children and this topic should be closed.

You skills are trash bruh lol

Dude can’t give me a handful. But had the nerve to bring it up.

Americans got the drinking rule age. Countries that y’all considered so much better have that age younger.

You can still own a gun at 18 but not semiautomatic handgun but still own a rifle

I had you from the jump with the gun being age restricted lolololololo

Too easy

Me: There's certain things you can't even do after 18.

You: begins to name said things

Me: Exactly.

You: WHY ARE YOU CONFRIMING WHAT I SAID!?

Congrats. You've taken on another stupid hill you didn't have to

I named 1 which is drinking which most countries let you drink before 21.

because you can still get guns.

Again too easy.

Shit is layup

If we're going to play the semantic/definition game. The top definition of child in pretty much every dictionary is some form of the following:

a young human being below the age of puberty or below the legal age of majority:

By the definition given the highest priority, 18 y/os are not children and this topic should be closed.

I’m not playing any ‘games’, B. Niggas asked if an 18 year old is a child. I looked up the definition of the word ‘child’ and most 18 year olds fit one of those definitions.

I legit don’t understand any argument otherwise.

We can’t just ignore a definition because it doesn’t fit our narrative.

Most kids enter puberty at 10 or 11. No one in here would say that a 12 year old isn’t a child just because they’ve hit puberty, including you. That’s why numerous definitions exist.

What are we doing here?

If a muhfucka is legal enough to legally buy ANY gun that available, shoot up a amusement park or a school, kill a dozen people which results in getting a life sentence and a possible death sentence, then no, they ain’t a kid.

I’m not playing any ‘games’, B. Niggas asked if an 18 year old is a child. I looked up the definition of the word ‘child’ and most 18 year olds fit one of those definitions.

Most kids enter puberty at 10 or 11. No one in here would say that a 12 year old isn’t a child just because they’ve hit puberty, including you. That’s why numerous definitions exist.

What are we doing here?

Bruh, it's not about ignoring a definition because it doesn't fit the narrative. In fact, what you're doing is cherry picking a definition to fit your narrative. If you look at dictionary.com, Webster, and Oxford only one of them has "an immature or irresponsible person" as a definition of child. All of them have definitions that relate childhood to puberty and the legal age. So it would make more sense to use the most common definition of the word than to choose a random uncommon definition.

Yes, most kids enter puberty while still children so your point is fair, but the definition does say "or under the legal age." Legally, 18 is an adult. So again, if we're going to just end this topic with a statement of the definition of the world "child," the answer is "No, 18 y/os are not children." However, I think the deeper discussion here is whether or not 18 should still be considered the legal age for adulthood.

Bruh, it's not about ignoring a definition because it doesn't fit the narrative. In fact, what you're doing is cherry picking a definition to fit your narrative. If you look at dictionary.com, Webster, and Oxford only one of them has "an immature or irresponsible person" as a definition of child. All of them have definitions that relate childhood to puberty and the legal age. So it would make more sense to use the most common definition of the word than to choose a random uncommon definition.

Yes, most kids enter puberty while still children so your point is fair, but the definition does say "or under the legal age." Legally, 18 is an adult. So again, if we're going to just end this topic with a statement of the definition of the world "child," the answer is "No, 18 y/os are not children." However, I think the deeper discussion here is whether or not 18 should still be considered the legal age for adulthood.
My bad. I forgot…

…the end.

I named 1 which is drinking which most countries let you drink before 21.

because you can still get guns.

Again too easy.

Shit is layup

And you still don't see how even naming 1 kills another one of your all or nothing stances. Good job showing how age definitely doesn't mean your ability to comprehend gets automatically better. For some it gets worse

What are we doing here?

Those that do end up looking pretty stupid

The discussion is confusing the legal definition with the social/real world definition. One ignores any nuance of life experiences, culture etc that shapes us all. The other just gives an easy "18 is legal and that's it" response idiots use to justify a whole host of dumbass opinions

And you still don't see how even naming 1 kills another one of your all or nothing stances. Good job showing how age definitely doesn't mean your ability to comprehend gets automatically better. For some it gets worse
Every argument against you is layup because you CAN NEVER GIVE EXAMPLES

I killed both of the ones I names just so I can string you along to see if you were going to go for it because you wasn’t going to name any that someone over the age of 18 can’t do.

I catch you switching stands at every turn

You can’t stand on shit bruh. I already peeped your game

The discussion is confusing the legal definition with the social/real world definition. One ignores any nuance of life experiences, culture etc that shapes us all. The other just gives an easy "18 is legal and that's it" response idiots use to justify a whole host of dumbass opinions

Yes, cherrypicking definitions in an effort to win arguments leads to semantic discord. It's a really stupid thing to do, but a lot of people do it for whatever reason.

Bottom line 18-25 ain’t no damn child and those who think this is why we have folks in that age range completely lost.

Bottom line 18-25 ain’t no damn child and those who think this is why we have folks in that age range completely lost.

I don't know. That's not completely fair. I wouldn't say 18 is a child, but to say that's why people in that age range are completely lost is wrong. Again, we have expectations for people in that age range, but the way our society has moved has made it effectively harder to accomplish those expectations within that age range. As I said before, it's a lot harder to achieve some basic life accomplishments at 18 than it was decades in the past. So maybe an 18 y/o isn't a child, we still might need to adjust what we expect from someone who has only recently transitioned to adulthood.

I don't know. That's not completely fair. I wouldn't say 18 is a child, but to say that's why people in that age range are completely lost is wrong. Again, we have expectations for people in that age range, but the way our society has moved has made it effectively harder to accomplish those expectations within that age range. As I said before, it's a lot harder to achieve some basic life accomplishments at 18 than it was decades in the past. So maybe an 18 y/o isn't a child, we still might need to adjust what we expect from someone who has only recently transitioned to adulthood.
It’s because our society has pushed the thinking that they are still kids even in those ages ranges. They are treated as such so they act as such IMO.

Since I been coaching and being around kids that ranges from 7-18 it really opened my eyes on how they are treated just like babies. Hardly any responsibilities are given to them. So they are falling behind on a lot of things.

It’s why when you see a responsible teenager you’re taken back

We are falling behind

It’s because our society has pushed the thinking that they are still kids even in those ages ranges. They are treated as such so they act as such IMO

We are falling behind

I don't really think society has pushed that thinking. Some people say it when 18 or 19 y/os get caught up in certain shit, but it's not like the average person thinks of an 18 y/o the same way they think of a 12 y/o.

Back