Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Who Fumbled Their Debut More??

My vote goes to Dave. He had/has way more potential as an artist than Fivio imo. I legit feel disappointed listening to some of his albums because I hear the potential. My personal issue w/ Dave is that I can't listen to his voice for long. He can rap, make good songs and get creative w/ the subject matter, but he has an annoying rap voice like Lloyd Banks.

My vote goes to Dave. He had/has way more potential as an artist than Fivio imo. I legit feel disappointed listening to some of his albums because I hear the potential. My personal issue w/ Dave is that I can't listen to his voice for long. He can rap, make good songs and get creative w/ the subject matter, but he has an annoying rap voice like Lloyd Banks.

So how did he “fumble”?

Just my thought
By now Dave East should at least be as big as Young Dolph was ...he's not even close..not even on Key Glock level

He was in same XXL freshman class as Kodak and 21 Savage .....dem boys light years ahead of him

So how did he “fumble”?

These are purely my opinions but...

- signed w/ a team that's probably not going to get him to the next level...or maybe doesn't know how to market him to a larger/commercial consumer base; Not sure if signing w/ Mass Appeal was the right move IF he was seeking a certain level of commercial success or visibility for a debut artist
- didn't capitalize on his buzz when he had it ( purely from a commercial pov );

Only reason I didn't pick Fivio is because I never felt he was that caliber of an artist to begin with. I even question if he would've gotten the looks he got if Pop were still alive.

These are purely my opinions but...

- signed w/ a team that's probably not going to get him to the next level...or maybe doesn't know how to market him to a larger/commercial consumer base; Not sure if signing w/ Mass Appeal was the right move IF he was seeking a certain level of commercial success or visibility for a debut artist
- didn't capitalize on his buzz when he had it ( purely from a commercial pov );

Only reason I didn't pick Fivio is because I never felt he was that caliber of an artist to begin with. I even question if he would've gotten the looks he got if Pop were still alive.

I appreciate your opinions but let’s get to it.

You’ve heard Dave East. You’ve heard whats popular in today’s rap music, right?

It’s blatantly obvious that the type of energy and content that East is capable of really isn’t all that popular…and you can say that starting from his first mixtape until now. The masses would rather hear Travis Scott or Lil Baby or Gunna than someone more wordy like a Dave East. He was already handicapped by that. His personality ain’t as loud or crazy like some other contemporaries. He ain’t making songs so that his team can pump out a viral campaign on tiktok. He’s not in the news for dumb shit like being in trouble with the law. Dude just raps, smokes and comes across as a “cool guy”….and that’s cool but it takes a lil more to gain the attention of the masses. Sure, folks who are interested in getting “the feeling back” would gravitate towards that sound…but that fan base is older and probably ain’t buying music like they used to…so what are you left with?

The best thing he coulda done…is what he did; worked hard to establish a solid fan base by consistently feeding them music and then parlaying his hype into acting.

I appreciate your opinions but let’s get to it.

You’ve heard Dave East. You’ve heard whats popular in today’s rap music, right?

It’s blatantly obvious that the type of energy and content that East is capable of really isn’t all that popular…and you can say that starting from his first mixtape until now. The masses would rather hear Travis Scott or Lil Baby or Gunna than someone more wordy like a Dave East. He was already handicapped by that. His personality ain’t as loud or crazy like some other contemporaries. He ain’t making songs so that his team can pump out a viral campaign on tiktok. He’s not in the news for dumb shit like being in trouble with the law. Dude just raps, smokes and comes across as a “cool guy”….and that’s cool but it takes a lil more to gain the attention of the masses. Sure, folks who are interested in getting “the feeling back” would gravitate towards that sound…but that fan base is older and probably ain’t buying music like they used to…so what are you left with?

The best thing he coulda done…is what he did; worked hard to establish a solid fan base by consistently feeding them music and then parlaying his hype into acting.

Hey...don't get me wrong...I agree w/ you 100%. I still like to think certain artists are capable of breaking out of that box w/ a certain level of artistry and support. I know I’m being idealistic and optimistic because yes…artists like Dave don’t chase or follow what’s popular and typically don’t make mainstream waves. If I’m being realistic, he’s where I would expect him to be in today’s climate. However, if I’m comparing the 2, I feel like Dave would be more capable of getting into that exclusive group that Cole and Kendrick are in….not saying he’s on their level…just more likely to be accepted by a more diverse group of consumers.

Tick Tick Tick

tenor.gif

Hey...don't get me wrong...I agree w/ you 100%. I still like to think certain artists are capable of breaking out of that box w/ a certain level of artistry and support. I know I’m being idealistic and optimistic because yes…artists like Dave don’t chase or follow what’s popular and typically don’t make mainstream waves. If I’m being realistic, he’s where I would expect him to be in today’s climate. However, if I’m comparing the 2, I feel like Dave would be more capable of getting into that exclusive group that Cole and Kendrick are in….not saying he’s on their level…just more likely to be accepted by a more diverse group of consumers.

Cole & Kendrick came up in the perfect time; when a lot of their fanbase was in high school or leaving high school and going to college. The blog era was perfect for developing a fanbase that could grow with the artist. Dave East wasn’t privy to that opportunity. Them days are over.

Just my thought
By now Dave East should at least be as big as Young Dolph was ...he's not even close..not even on Key Glock level

He was in same XXL freshman class as Kodak and 21 Savage .....dem boys light years ahead of him

Are you even paying attention to the landscape of rap music today?

All those artists you named make the music that is popular today. Dave East was NEVER gonna do that.

Are y’all niggas being for real?

Lol niggas wanna pick and choose when the music landscape matters

Griselda
TDE
Dreamville
Badass
Etc

All put out music since 2016 and they have been fine

But when it’s East, eyerone wanna have this wack ass argument about how he can’t thrive during these times lol

Like stop it bro

Back