Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Who Fumbled Their Debut More??

Dave wouldn’t have blown up in the 00’s either tbh

His style is very monotone and dull

Saying a bunch of words that rhyme doesn’t automatically make you a great rapper

I’m not saying he would have blown up in the 2000s.

I’m just saying that the sound/style that Dave has ain’t exactly what’s at the forefront of popular/mainstream rap right now.

He didn’t drop so many mixtapes and wait so long for his debut to drop after so much initial buzz

If his debut wasn’t shit

It’s actually right there in the OP if you look hard enough

These days, the line between “mixtapes” and “albums” are blurry as fuck. Those mixtapes were put out by his label to establish and maintain the initial “buzz”. You still need a FANBASE & his label recognized that he would need to build that up before they released anything “official”. Even if they released his “highly anticipated (lol)” album after the first mixtape he dropped, what the FUCK do you think it would have done commercially?

Be for FUCKING real, man. These companies want a return on their investment. Mass Appeal knew what type of artist Dave East is; he’s not going to generate a quick Buck so they went with the long haul approach, which seemingly has paid off as he seems to have SOLID fan base despite not changing his sound to something more contemporary or having that super crossover feature that exposes him to a different audience. As I said earlier, he did the best thing he could by parlaying his hype into an acting career.

Beta you should appreciate Dave East's existence because he represents "when NY was NY." Despite his lack of reach he restores the feeling yea? Why you think all the old heads, Fab, Jada, Jim Jones fuck with him? He's the 15 years younger version of them

Beta you should appreciate Dave East's existence because he represents "when NY was NY." Despite his lack of reach he restores the feeling yea? Why you think all the old heads, Fab, Jada, Jim Jones fuck with him? He's the 15 years younger version of them
He should be bigger than he is and that’s my issue with him

He a slightly more know smoke DZA as far as relevance

East and Joey Badass career paths are very similar
Only difference I don’t think people expect Joey badass to be a star because he a headass nigga

He does pretty well though and it’s enough and I can’t complain about him

He actually releases projects guys like 5th letter swear are great and he isn’t looked at as a WSHH rapper almost 10 years later

They fuck with him because of the swag not really the music

He has NY energy but his music is bland

I like East. Ima fan

Maybe its the Nas cosign or his brotherhood with Nipsey, idk but i fuck with son

What about Joe Budden?

Pump It Up was huge, then he kinda fizzled away from the mainstream.

He had some success with the Mood Music mixtapes but he could have been bigger.

He was in the era of Rocafella and G-Unit. Those guys were selling multiplatinum.

What about Joe Budden?

Pump It Up was huge, then he kinda fizzled away from the mainstream.

He had some success with the Mood Music mixtapes but he could have been bigger.

He was in the era of Rocafella and G-Unit. Those guys were selling multiplatinum.
Some genius said Joe Budden ranks Higher than Lauryn Hill on the NJ Mount Rushmore

These days, the line between “mixtapes” and “albums” are blurry as fuck. Those mixtapes were put out by his label to establish and maintain the initial “buzz”. You still need a FANBASE & his label recognized that he would need to build that up before they released anything “official”. Even if they released his “highly anticipated (lol)” album after the first mixtape he dropped, what the FUCK do you think it would have done commercially?

Be for FUCKING real, man. These companies want a return on their investment. Mass Appeal knew what type of artist Dave East is; he’s not going to generate a quick Buck so they went with the long haul approach, which seemingly has paid off as he seems to have SOLID fan base despite not changing his sound to something more contemporary or having that super crossover feature that exposes him to a different audience. As I said earlier, he did the best thing he could by parlaying his hype into an acting career.
Dave East failed

Fivio did too

I understand I expected more than you did though

giphy.gif

East is definitely the underachiever in this scenario, as there wasn't a preset expectation from Fivio. However, even while underachieving, East still outshines Fivio when comparing the two (I know that wasn't the question).

Dave East is dope but I only ever here ransom songs and feathers, think I may of had a mixtape few years back... Either that or I just had a collection of songs and features...

I get people dont really rock with him after a while and his flow, voice and songs can be quite repetitive...

I get what Beta is trying to say about Fivio. He was expected to fill that void with Pop Smoke being gone and his shit was a dud unlike Pop Smoke's debut.

Dave East makes dreadful music imo

Back