Welcome To aBlackWeb

Should Eddie Murphy apologize for his old jokes?

And you can feel like it doesn't deserve an apology but you weren't either A. the person who made the joke or B. the person/group the joke was targeting so it's really on them to decide if the joke is really that offensive and worthy of an apology which Eddie clearly felt 20 years ago when he apologized the first time. This ain't a new "Eddie gotta apologize in order to make it now"...He's been doing family movies for 2 decades plus. That nigga in "Raw" been gone and for people to expect him to still have that mindset is wild as hell.
Bruh, nobody expecting him to have the same mindset. Nobody asking for him to tell gay jokes

The apology however was unnecessary. To me. To a lot of ppl.

He still the Goat, apology or nah

Bruh, nobody expecting him to have the same mindset. Nobody asking for him to tell gay jokes

The apology however was unnecessary. To me. To a lot of ppl.

He still the Goat, apology or nah

And what I'm sayng is it's not up to you to say if the apology was warranted because you aren't part of the group that would be offended. The same way I would tell a white person it's not on them to say whether or not a black person should forgive or even be offended by a racist comment...and ye some are actually expecting the same Delirious/Raw Eddie Murphy and seeing this apology as him "going soft"...niggas will push back against any form of accountability just being stupid sometimes instead of actually seeing the point being made. They're so caught up in "not trying to be controlled" they're willing to be wrong as fuck and defend some shit the person who said it said years ago ain't worth defending.

Let's make it not subjective then. Let's use YOU as the baseline. Can You tell me a joke that YOU thought was funny back in the day but that YOU don't think is funny anymore.

I'm just curious. Legitimately.

Basically any episode of ComicView would qualify for this.

I'm not sure I understand your premise.... are you really suggesting that if a joke is funny once it remains funny for all time?

Basically any episode of ComicView would qualify for this.

I'm not sure I understand your premise.... are you really suggesting that if a joke is funny once it remains funny for all time?
I’m also trying to figure out where he’s going with this myself.

It's funny you say that because a good portion of these "social justice warriors" you are disparaging are black folks. Niggas just don't like when the issues they brng up shine a light on them instead of everyone else
That good portion are the voice of the mob. Black people have always been a tool of vocalizing an idea or plight.

But trust and believe those are not the same "warriors" that actually get shit done i.e. getting jobs taken, cancelling shows, removing ads, etc. That portion of the mob is white as rice.

That good portion are the voice of the mob. Black people have always been a tool of vocalizing an idea or plight.

But trust and believe those are not the same "warriors" that actually get shit done i.e. getting jobs taken, cancelling shows, removing ads, etc. That portion of the mob is white as rice.

And what has been the most serious consequence? Majority of people that they're rallying against have faced little to no long term consequences. THey was mad at Chappelle? He's still gonna sell out tours and that Netflix check cashed. Hell even Louis CK has done shows since he was outed for literally beating off in front of people. Aziz Ansari just had a special dropped to much acclaim after his issue...so pretty much it seems that what people want is to say anything they want free of consequence and can't handle when someone offers a challenge or objection to the shit they say.

And what has been the most serious consequence? Majority of people that they're rallying against have faced little to no long term consequences. THey was mad at Chappelle? He's still gonna sell out tours and that Netflix check cashed. Hell even Louis CK has done shows since he was outed for literally beating off in front of people. Aziz Ansari just had a special dropped to much acclaim after his issue...so pretty much it seems that what people want is to say anything they want free of consequence and can't handle when someone offers a challenge or objection to the shit they say.
There's not much that anyone can do to Dave Chappelle. He's a pretty big anomaly when it comes to celebrity entertainers.

Aziz and CK both went into hiding for a good long time before the pressure let up. If you think they didn't lose out on some shows or gigs, you weren't paying enough attention.

None of this "cancel" shit is permanent but that doesn't mean it does not exist.

There is no specific joke referenced in the portion you quoted and I don't have access to the NYT. We can talk in circles about not reading all we want. I asked for a specific joke that used to be funny but isn't funny anymore. 2 pages ago. Everyone can talk in circles, ask questions about if niggas read, etc.

But none of that answers my very specific question. So...

Again, gimme an example of a joke that we all used to think was funny that isn't funny anymore.

If you don't remember the "ignorant" joke he made about AIDS, that's not my fault. You asked for an example and I gave you one.

It's funny you say that because a good portion of these "social justice warriors" you are disparaging are black folks. Niggas just don't like when the issues they brng up shine a light on them instead of everyone else

Black SJW's are a minority. The vast numbers are Whites and this really can't be disputed. Sure there are Black folks that take up these causes as well just like there are Black Republicans. And like those Black Republicans they get trotted out or put in the spotlight whenever they need a "colored" talking head in order to seem inclusive and that there are those of us that share their viewpoints. But those Black folks are just a tiny minority, most Black folks really ain't got time to sit off worrying about shit that doesn't directly impact our lives like that; that's a white person's luxury. Black folks are too busy just trying to survive outchea to be worried about bullshit like which pronoun to use or some 30+ year old jokes that people are now offended by.

If you don't remember the "ignorant" joke he made about AIDS, that's not my fault. You asked for an example and I gave you one.

Nigga... I just went and re-watched the part of Delirious where he made those jokes. In context, the shit was right in line with what the current narrative was about AIDS in 1983: It was a gay disease, it was transmitted through sex AND kissing, and the scare was that women with gay friends could inadvertently bring it home to their husbands/boyfriends by kissing them. In 1983 there was still a lot that we simply didn't know about AIDS. Shit, "HIV" still hadn't been coined yet in '83.

So, listening to them with a current frame of reference is the only way you could possibly call those jokes "ignorant" 'cause at the time they weren't.

Nigga... I just went and re-watched the part of Delirious where he made those jokes. In context, the shit was right in line with what the current narrative was about AIDS in 1983: It was a gay disease, it was transmitted through sex AND kissing, and the scare was that women with gay friends could inadvertently bring it home to their husbands/boyfriends by kissing them. In 1983 there was still a lot that we simply didn't know about AIDS. Shit, "HIV" still hadn't been coined yet in '83.

So, listening to them with a current frame of reference is the only way you could possibly call those jokes "ignorant" 'cause at the time they weren't.

You just admitted to the ignorance surrounding HIV/AIDS at that time while seeming to have a problem with the joke being labeled "ignorant".

Should he have had to?
No.

Was it a wise thing to do ahead of CtoA:II?
Absolutely.

He would have been a fool not to learn from his peers.

And nobody was forcing him to apologize and honestly nobody would’ve went back longer than 10 years to find something to be triggered by. Y’all over exaggerate

Back