Welcome To aBlackWeb

Should Eddie Murphy apologize for his old jokes?

Smart move to get ahead of the climate. And obviously his routine is gonna change so he needs to get ahead of that too.

Murphy, who has never owned a computer and describes himself “as close as you can get to a technophobe,” said he wasn’t concerned about new scrutiny of his comedy. He has been criticized for jokes on his specials that talked about fear of contracting AIDS from kissing gay men and used homophobic slurs; in the past, he cited such backlash as the reason he stopped doing stand-up.

He has also said stand-up stopped being fun. But now he regrets giving it up and once he returns, he said, he will never abandon it again.

“I went through all that stuff, so this is not scary,” he said about controversies over jokes. He pointed that he had been picketed and had also apologized for material about AIDS that he now calls “ignorant” before adding, on the subject of anxiety by comics today: “All this stuff they are talking about: ‘Hey, welcome to the club.’”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/26/movies/eddie-murphy.html

Oh no Eddie, what is you doing b

The same shit he did in the 90's when he apologized the 1st time for these jokes...the nigga looking back on some shit he said in his 20's and saying "Damn, that was fucked up" ain't that serioues. It's crazy how many people see apologizing for some shit as admitting some sort of defeat instead of simply seeing it as aperson growing and realizing their current views don't align with shit they said/did in the past.

The same shit he did in the 90's when he apologized the 1st time for these jokes...the nigga looking back on some shit he said in his 20's and saying "Damn, that was fucked up" ain't that serioues. It's crazy how many people see apologizing for some shit as admitting some sort of defeat instead of simply seeing it as aperson growing and realizing their current views don't align with shit they said/did in the past.
I don't care about none of that

Nobody expects his views to align from then ans now but they was jks. Simple jks

Nobody expects his views to align from then ans now but they was jks. Simple jks

And things that people find funny change over time so what's the issue with looking back and thinking "That shit ain't as funny as I thought it was"? There's plenty of jokes people made decades ago that got roaring laughter but if you said them now it would cause a problem...that's how society works. It changes over the course of time

If nobody expects his views from the to line up with his views from now, then why is everybody so up in arms about him saying 'Hey those jokes I made, I'm sorry, because my views on those things is different than it is now.'?

For me, it really ain't that deep. We all say shit that in retrospect, prolly could've been worded differently, approached differently or not said at all. We apologize. Then we move on.

And things that people find funny change over time so what's the issue with looking back and thinking "That shit ain't as funny as I thought it was"? There's plenty of jokes people made decades ago that got roaring laughter but if you said them now it would cause a problem...that's how society works. It changes over the course of time

I understand where you're going, but the bolded is false. What society finds socially and morally acceptable changes over time. Funny, however, doesn't. Them gay jokes was funny in '83. They was funny in '87 and they'd be funny today.

If nobody expects his views from the to line up with his views from now, then why is everybody so up in arms about him saying 'Hey those jokes I made, I'm sorry, because my views on those things is different than it is now.'?

For me, it really ain't that deep. We all say shit that in retrospect, prolly could've been worded differently, approached differently or not said at all. We apologize. Then we move on.
I hear y'all but....these are jks. Like he may never felt like that at the time but saw his audience found it funny

He ain't no longer making these types jks so it doesn't require an apology imo

I understand where you're going, but the bolded is false. What society finds socially and morally acceptable changes over time. Funny, however, doesn't. Them gay jokes was funny in '83. They was funny in '87 and they'd be funny today.

Nah funny does change depending on what the joke is based on, especially if the joke is based on something you can actually verify or some sort of truthful observation and not just popping shit

I hear y'all but....these are jks. Like he may never felt like that at the time but saw his audience found it funny

He ain't no longer making these types jks so it doesn't require an apology imo

And you can feel like it doesn't deserve an apology but you weren't either A. the person who made the joke or B. the person/group the joke was targeting so it's really on them to decide if the joke is really that offensive and worthy of an apology which Eddie clearly felt 20 years ago when he apologized the first time. This ain't a new "Eddie gotta apologize in order to make it now"...He's been doing family movies for 2 decades plus. That nigga in "Raw" been gone and for people to expect him to still have that mindset is wild as hell.

Nah funny does change depending on what the joke is based on, especially if the joke is based on something you can actually verify or some sort of truthful observation and not just popping shit

Gimme an example of a joke that we all used to think was funny that isn't funny anymore.

It’s seems like to me as long as most black people ain’t offended then niggas are soft for apologizing or growing from them to now. Like people use to make jokes about beating on their wives or jokes about other races. Why is this any different?

Back