Welcome To aBlackWeb

Should Eddie Murphy apologize for his old jokes?

You just admitted to the ignorance surrounding HIV/AIDS at that time while seeming to have a problem with the joke being labeled "ignorant".

In context of the day, it wasn't. This was what we were told as fact. Ignorance would have been to say some shit like "I heard if a nigga with it touch you, you get it". You're still looking at it through current lenses. If you weren't around and old enough to comprehend the shit, you wouldn't get it.

In context of the day, it wasn't. This was what we were told as fact. Ignorance would have been to say some shit like "I heard if a nigga with it touch you, you get it". You're still looking at it through current lenses. If you weren't around and old enough to comprehend the shit, you wouldn't get it.

I'm in 40s.

The public was generally ignorant about HIV/AIDS in the early/mid 80s. That's why we accepted as "fact" things that weren't true. Thereby remaining ignorant to the true facts about HIV/AIDS.

"Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about a particular thing."

What about that definition doesn't apply?

I'm in 40s.

The public was generally ignorant about HIV/AIDS in the early/mid 80s. That's why we accepted as "fact" things that weren't true. Thereby remaining ignorant to the true facts about HIV/AIDS.

Nothing he said hadn't been presented as medical fact. At that time Dr's believed that transmission of the disease happened through swapping any body fluids, including spit. So, the joke where he talks about a chick partying with her gay friends, gets a goodbye kiss on the lips and brings AIDS home to her husband was something that was considered medically plausible in 1983.

If you're feeling some type of way about the jokes because someone close to you has AIDS or died from it then just say that shit. FWIW, however, in late September of 1989 my then favorite uncle died from AIDS in Dallas. I was given enough time to go to my senior homecoming dance and was scooped up by my family from Saginaw immediately after I got home that night to drive down to Dallas to get his affairs in order and for the funeral. Shit had me fucked up 'cause earlier that summer he came to Saginaw to visit my grandmother. He was so skinny that I didn't even recognize him. Nobody told me what what going on and it had me so fucked up that I never spoke to him the entire time I was there. He was a GP doctor and had to let his staff take over his clinic because his appearance had his patients shook.

AIDS affected my life personally... In the 80's... And I STILL laugh at them jokes. I laughed again when I re-watched it yesterday.

Nothing he said hadn't been presented as medical fact. At that time Dr's believed that transmission of the disease happened through swapping any body fluids, including spit. So, the joke where he talks about a chick partying with her gay friends, gets a goodbye kiss on the lips and brings AIDS home to her husband was something that was considered medically plausible in 1983.

If you're feeling some type of way about the jokes because someone close to you has AIDS or died from it then just say that shit. FWIW, however, in late September of 1989 my then favorite uncle died from AIDS in Dallas. I was given enough time to go to my senior homecoming dance and was scooped up by my family from Saginaw immediately after I got home that night to drive down to Dallas to get his affairs in order and for the funeral. Shit had me fucked up 'cause earlier that summer he came to Saginaw to visit my grandmother. He was so skinny that I didn't even recognize him. Nobody told me what what going on and it had me so fucked up that I never spoke to him the entire time I was there. He was a GP doctor and had to let his staff take over his clinic because his appearance had his patients shook.

AIDS affected my life personally... In the 80's... And I STILL laugh at them jokes. I laughed again when I re-watched it yesterday.

You typed a lot and none of it changes or proves wrong my post that you quoted.

I'm in 40s.

Eddie admitted the joke was ignorant over 20 years ago. If you want to believe it wasn't ignorant, more power to you. But the facts remain.

And my no longer finding the joke funny has nothing to do with anyone I've known with the disease. It's simply that I know how silly the premise actually is now. When I believed it possible as a kid, the joke was never not funny. But once I knew better....

You typed a lot and none of it changes or proves wrong my post that you quoted.

Eddie admitted the joke was ignorant over 20 years ago. If you want to believe it wasn't ignorant, more power to you. But the facts remain.

And my no longer finding the joke funny has nothing to do with anyone I've known with the disease. It's simply that I know how silly the premise actually is now. When I believed it possible as a kid, the joke was never not funny. But once I knew better....

download (2).png

Aiight. I know better and the shit is still funny... Prolly ''cause I'm not uptight about shit like that. Even in the middle of that part of the routine Eddie says the shit is just jokes and he fucks with everyone and don't take it personal. That's what a comedian does, they poke fun at any and everything and everyone.

And then niggas say we have all rights to be offended by white people saying and doing shit. But if a black gay person gets offended they just soft? Do they not know crackers use the same argument
Bruh you comparing apples to oranges. When did black people opress gay people? Completely different circumstance.

That will never happen because "funny" is always subjective so "we all used to think was funny" is a loaded question but I can very easily give an example of jokes that used to be acceptable that aren't anymore w/o facing serious backlash...look at the way folks react to those that defend blackface as "jokes that were ok at the time so why are people making a big deal now" that happens everytime some famous white person pops up w/ an old black face picture or racist joke?
Once again two different situations. Blackface was a mockery of black people, not a joke. It was used to degrade blacks. Stop comparing gays to how black people are/were treated. Its not the same at all.

Once again two different situations. Blackface was a mockery of black people, not a joke. It was used to degrade blacks. Stop comparing gays to how black people are/were treated. Its not the same at all.

It was a joke tonwhite people but not to us. Why you can’t fathom what a joke to us ain’t a joke to them. Like it’s literally simple as fuck but it’s just excuses on why it shouldn’t be respected

So they can’t be offended by being called a faggot because black people didn’t oppress them. That stupid as fuck
That's not what I said bruh. Comprehension is everything. You comparing blacks and gays as if its like blacks and whites but it ain't the same history. If y'all offended that's fine, but don't compare it to how blacks feel about whites.

It was a joke tonwhite people but not to us. Why you can’t fathom what a joke to us ain’t a joke to them. Like it’s literally simple as fuck but it’s just excuses on why it shouldn’t be respected
Eddie didn't hate gays. Blackface wss born from hate, not jokes or humor. Once again you missing the point and watch your tone whem you type to me.

Back