Welcome To aBlackWeb

Photography Equipment For Beginners

Never rented a lens before. Where yall rent them joints from? They let you travel with them like that?
They got a camera store in Manhattan that let you rent. There’s another joint that you can rent online and they’ll ship the lens to your house. Yeah you can travel with it, I took it to africa and back. As long as you give the lens back in the condition you got it then you good

When ever I take my safari trip this is what I'm going to rent. I think the biggest one is a something to 300mm. I used it for my niece graduation and it did good but was needing a little bit more. They were on a football field and we were in the stands 1/4 way up. And I've used that lens about maybe about 5 times. Just didn't do that much long range shooting
They also got a 200-600mm 5.6-6.3 but you lose a stop of light compared to the 100-400 4.5-5.6
IMG_9722.jpeg

Just now seeing this thread. I got into photography bout 3 years ago. Purchased kit like what he posted above. Mine is a nikon d5500 came with 2 lens 18-55, 55-300,2 batteries a bag and a DVD to teach you the basics that bad boy take pics better than any phone. But this is a hobby and a side gig. As I've done birthday parties family portraits and even clothes for boutiques.
Where do you recommend looking for deal? I was thinking about checking out some pawn shops too

What mode ya usually shoot in the most? I been doing alot in shutter priority. I'm still struggling with lighting tho specifically backlit shots. Gonna play around some more

dope! what body?

The same Canon Rebel XSi (EOS 450D in other parts of the world) I copped from a pawn shop last year. I still haven't upgraded and since buying a house late last year, moving across country, and still trying to get caught up on all the bills that shit created I just haven't gotten around to picking up a full frame body like I had hoped to by now.

The same Canon Rebel XSi (EOS 450D in other parts of the world) I copped from a pawn shop last year. I still haven't upgraded and since buying a house late last year, moving across country, and still trying to get caught up on all the bills that shit created I just haven't gotten around to picking up a full frame body like I had hoped to by now.

shots look dope fam. What mode were you shooting on? Aperture? Manual?

I got alot of homework to do when it comes to lighting

shots look dope fam. What mode were you shooting on? Aperture? Manual?

I got alot of homework to do when it comes to lighting

Actually, I was lazy and flipped it to the camera's "Close-up" mode. I couldn't catch a lot of super detailed shots 'cause between the autofocus, the lens' minimum focus distance of about 1m, and the goddamned flash constantly popping up on me a lot of shit just didn't make it. Some of them came off too bright because of the flash, and it even ruined this pic that could have been dope.

IMG_9790.JPG

If I had actually gone out with the sole intention of taking my time in manual mode I could have done a lot better. But I was actually on a grocery run and grabbed the camera on some "just in case" shit, so I was rushing myself.

Trying my hand at taking pics of the moon tonight.

Shot with my EOS Rebel XSi with the Canon EF 75-300 lens, aperture 1/60, f/11, and iso 100 using manual focus and shot as RAW

IMG_0304.jpg

This one was shot with my Fujifilm Finepix S4500 "superzoom" bridge camera. Lens was all the way out at 720mm, aperture at 1/60, f/8, iso 100.

DSCF2204.JPG

The color in the FinePix is correct. The superzoom on the Finepix is also showing it's worth. However, I think the image on the Canon, whole smaller, is sharper because I was able to manually focus it where I can't do that with the S4500. Not at all sure why the Rebel's color came up blueish tho, that's kinda weird.

Trying my hand at taking pics of the moon tonight.

Shot with my EOS Rebel XSi with the Canon EF 75-300 lens, aperture 1/60, f/11, and iso 100 using manual focus and shot as RAW

View attachment 1164455

This one was shot with my Fujifilm Finepix S4500 "superzoom" bridge camera. Lens was all the way out at 720mm, aperture at 1/60, f/8, iso 100.

View attachment 1164457

The color in the FinePix is correct. The superzoom on the Finepix is also showing it's worth. However, I think the image on the Canon, whole smaller, is sharper because I was able to manually focus it where I can't do that with the S4500. Not at all sure why the Rebel's color came up blueish tho, that's kinda weird.
What was the white balance on?

What mode ya usually shoot in the most? I been doing alot in shutter priority. I'm still struggling with lighting tho specifically backlit shots. Gonna play around some more
I shoot in manual exclusively. I tried shutter/aperture priority a few time but the pics never look good me as it does in manual. Scenes i would use but can’t shoot in RAW so don’t use that either

Actually, I was lazy and flipped it to the camera's "Close-up" mode. I couldn't catch a lot of super detailed shots 'cause between the autofocus, the lens' minimum focus distance of about 1m, and the goddamned flash constantly popping up on me a lot of shit just didn't make it. Some of them came off too bright because of the flash, and it even ruined this pic that could have been dope.

View attachment 1128550

If I had actually gone out with the sole intention of taking my time in manual mode I could have done a lot better. But I was actually on a grocery run and grabbed the camera on some "just in case" shit, so I was rushing myself.
Flash may have been popping up cause ur shutter speed was slow. I would’ve had a faster shutter to capture the bee while keeping background blur

I very rarely edit my pics. About the only thing I might do is rotate it a bit if I wasn't holding it level or I might do small crops but that's about it.
Oh nah. You doing yourself a disservice. I used to not edit either but then started to really getting into it and took that same knowledge and went back and redid some old photos and really unlock the potential of the photo

I can probably look in my stash for some before and after

Took this in 2017, it looked good to me at the time...
View attachment DSC_2214.JPG

Started reading up on photo editing, messing around with lightroom and photopshop and watching videos on techniques and stuff and went back to this photo and redid it over

DSC_2214_1.jpg

Last edited:
Oh nah. You doing yourself a disservice. I used to not edit either but then started to really getting into it and took that same knowledge and went back and redid some old photos and really unlock the potential of the photo

I always looked at it as cheating. With film, about the only thing I could do with b&w was over develop or under develop the prints for artistic effect, correct a camera tilt, and that's about it. Color was always developed in a lab unless I was just developing the negatives and making b&w prints from it (I think we were able to develop color film like that, that was a long ass time ago). So, if it's something I could do in a darkroom, then I'm ok with it. Past that? Nah, shit feels like cheating.

Back