Welcome To aBlackWeb

Photography Equipment For Beginners

I always looked at it as cheating. With film, about the only thing I could do with b&w was over develop or under develop the prints for artistic effect, correct a camera tilt, and that's about it. Color was always developed in a lab unless I was just developing the negatives and making b&w prints from it (I think we were able to develop color film like that, that was a long ass time ago). So, if it's something I could do in a darkroom, then I'm ok with it. Past that? Nah, shit feels like cheating.
It’s only cheating to me when you do it on people where you making them slimmer etc. you not always gonna have perfect settings for every shot so if a pic came out too dark what’s wrong with lightening everything? That would’ve been the same pic if you had the optimal settings set up

It’s only cheating to me when you do it on people where you making them slimmer etc. you not always gonna have perfect settings for every shot so if a pic came out too dark what’s wrong with lightening everything? That would’ve been the same pic if you had the optimal settings set up

That's the equivalent of under/over developing a print; I'm good with that.

It's shit like this:

proxy-falls-autumn-portrait-oregon-landscape-800x970.jpg

Nothing about this shit here looks real. I know if I was standing on the same river bank in the same spot at the same time of day it don't look like this at all.

That's the equivalent of under/over developing a print; I'm good with that.

It's shit like this:

proxy-falls-autumn-portrait-oregon-landscape-800x970.jpg

Nothing about this shit here looks real. I know if I was standing on the same river bank in the same spot at the same time of day it don't look like this at all.
But this not edited tho. This just a tripod and slow shutter. Same way they have slow shutter when photographing moving subjects. They not moving in slow motion but it’s still a cool effect

But this not edited tho. This just a tripod and slow shutter. Same way they have slow shutter when photographing moving subjects. They not moving in slow motion but it’s still a cool effect

See, I figured you might say it's a slow shutter, but that doesn't translate to shots like this:

train-silverton-durango-narrow-gauge-railroad-colorado-high-definition-hd-professional-landscape-photography.jpg

The smoke coming from the top of the train isn't blurred and shows either wind or movement. If it's wind, then the train is stationary and I can see captureing this pic, but there would still be blurring on the smoke leaving the stack in the same way the water on the falls is blurred. If the train is moving, then this whole shit makes no sense because using a slow shutter would have blurred the train, showing a sense of motion, but that's not what's in the shot.

Plus, the color in the last pic looks artificial to my eyes.

See, I figured you might say it's a slow shutter, but that doesn't translate to shots like this:

train-silverton-durango-narrow-gauge-railroad-colorado-high-definition-hd-professional-landscape-photography.jpg

The smoke coming from the top of the train isn't blurred and shows either wind or movement. If it's wind, then the train is stationary and I can see captureing this pic, but there would still be blurring on the smoke leaving the stack in the same way the water on the falls is blurred. If the train is moving, then this whole shit makes no sense because using a slow shutter would have blurred the train, showing a sense of motion, but that's not what's in the shot.

Plus, the color in the last pic looks artificial to my eyes.
Yeah you right. Obviously dude took 2 different shots and merge it together. Casuals don’t care tho

Yeah you right. Obviously dude took 2 different shots and merge it together. Casuals don’t care tho

Ayo, have you done any Milky Way night shots? I've tried and these joints I took last night are prolly the closest I could even get... and they sucks ass. Can't see shit.

Used my Tamron 28-80mm lens, 10 sec exposure, f/3.5, ISO-400

IMG_0308.jpg

This was the same except ISO-800
IMG_0309.jpg

If it's clear tonight I might go back to the same spot with my Canon 18-55mm lens. I didn't use it 'cause manual focus is a bit wonky and doesn't respond all of the time. I gotta fuck with it for a bit and then it works (I need to replace it forreal).

i have a milky way shot with my 24mm 1.4 prime lens. My setting was f/2.5 25 sec iso 1600. I had a mini tripod so it was trash. What i needed was my normal size tripod and would need a focal length like 12mm-18mm which i dont have, so this the best i could do
DSC00571.JPG

You
If it's clear tonight I might go back to the same spot with my Canon 18-55mm lens. I didn't use it 'cause manual focus is a bit wonky and doesn't respond all of the time. I gotta fuck with it for a bit and then it works (I need to replace it forreal).
what's the widest aperture on the 18-55mm?

howcome you didnt use the prime?

I did... this was the best one of the bunch...

IMG_0314.jpg

f/2.8, iso-800, 8 seconds, thought I had got the focus right but clearly that wasn't the case.

Oddly enough, I had it set to f/2, 25 seconds, and iso-1600 but it looked like broad daylight and was out of focus

IMG_0311.jpg

lol fam I found every BUT the gotdamn tripod 🤣

I thought about using my stabilizer joint as a test but fuck that. this shit gon turn up eventually

Them shits is prolly under the couch or the bed or something.

It's finna rain outchea, so I'm not heading out tonight. I'll prolly fuck around with some beats instead.

howcome you didnt use the prime?
50mm too long for this. you want to capture as much as possible, thats why should go 12mm-18mm
I did... this was the best one of the bunch...

f/2.8, iso-800, 8 seconds, thought I had got the focus right but clearly that wasn't the case.

Oddly enough, I had it set to f/2, 25 seconds, and iso-1600 but it looked like broad daylight and was out of focus
you will need to set your lens to manual focus, what time was it when you took the pic and are you in total darkness?

50mm too long for this. you want to capture as much as possible, thats why should go 12mm-18mm

you will need to set your lens to manual focus, what time was it when you took the pic and are you in total darkness?

Yeah, I had it on manual focus, same as the 28-80mm.

I took it in total darkness. Shit was around 11pm in the literal middle of nowhere at the entrance to a nature preserve around the way. Two lane country road, nothing but wetlands and farms over yonder.

Shot this from the same spot last month, except right at the road whereas last night I was about 20-30 ft into the driveway.

DSCF0192.JPG

Yeah, I had it on manual focus, same as the 28-80mm.

I took it in total darkness. Shit was around 11pm in the literal middle of nowhere at the entrance to a nature preserve around the way. Two lane country road, nothing but wetlands and farms over yonder.

Shot this from the same spot last month, except right at the road whereas last night I was about 20-30 ft into the driveway.

View attachment 1165903
i guess iso 1600 too high then. i would keep same settings and start from iso 100

Back