Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Official Black Web Boxing Corner

test
I thought it was a good stoppage. Nunez was finished and had no idea where he was. Davis was about to take Nunez head off and knock him out cold.

I thought it was a good stoppage. Nunez was finished and had no idea where he was. Davis was about to take Nunez head off and knock him out cold.

Did you see the slow motion replay? Nunez looked good the first round and a half. Not “win a fight” good but didn’t look like he’d be steamrolled early. The only reason he even got put on his heels so badly in the first place was because he got cocky / sloppy during a break and lowered his guard to play to the crowd.

In the slow-mo during Tanks barrage he only got hit with two clean shots. They were sledgehammer hits but everything else was blocked or grazing blows. You don’t stop a fight just because a guy got hit with 2 or 3 concurrent sledgehammer punches. He got knocked off balance and the force of one of those final two punches sent him leaning into the ropes with his arms flailing, which I can understand likely looked worse in real time from the refs perspective than it actually was.

But none of that justifies a stoppage in my opinion. I feel they GAVE Tank a fight he was going to inevitably win anyway instead of letting him work through for it.

Did you see the slow motion replay? Nunez looked good the first round and a half. Not “win a fight” good but didn’t look like he’d be steamrolled early. The only reason he even got put on his heels so badly in the first place was because he got cocky / sloppy during a break and lowered his guard to play to the crowd.

In the slow-mo during Tanks barrage he only got hit with two clean shots. They were sledgehammer hits but everything else was blocked or grazing blows. You don’t stop a fight just because a guy got hit with 2 or 3 concurrent sledgehammer punches. He got knocked off balance and the force of one of those final two punches sent him leaning into the ropes with his arms flailing, which I can understand likely looked worse in real time from the refs perspective than it actually was.

But none of that justifies a stoppage in my opinion. I feel they GAVE Tank a fight he was going to inevitably win anyway instead of letting him work through for it.

Doesn't matter how he looked the first round and a half. The ref's job is to protect the fighters when they can't defend themselves. I've seen several stoppages that I thought were way too early. This was not one of those fights IMO. The way his head snapped back like that and needing the ropes to keeping him up. In the end I see a man who's pretty much finished and when the ref steps in he looks gone. I honestly have no problem with this stoppage.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter how he looked the first round and a half. The refs job is to protect the fighters when they can't defend themselves. I've seen several stoppages that I thought were way too early. This was not one of those fights IMO. The way his head snapped back like that and needing the ropes to keeping him up. In the end I see a man who's pretty much finished and when the ref step in he looks gone. I honestly have no problem with this stoppage.

Bro you just posted a 14 second clip in which Nunes was clearly ducking and dodging everything for 11 of said 14 seconds.

Head snapped back? Bro this is boxing. You don’t stop a fight because someone’s head snapped back and the momentum of a landed punch bounced them back off the ropes.

Not trying to be sarcastic with you but did you watch the fight? Because that clip cuts off the very second the fight was called. Nunes was immediately responsive, shook his head when the ref stepped in and at no point looked out of it. He only got hit with like 5 punches (all in that flurry) the whole round.

Bro you just posted a 14 second clip in which Nunes was clearly ducking and dodging everything for 11 of said 14 seconds.

Head snapped back? Bro this is boxing. You don’t stop a fight because someone’s head snapped back and the momentum of a landed punch bounced them back off the ropes.

Not trying to be sarcastic with you but did you watch the fight? Because that clip cuts off the very second the fight was called. Nunes was immediately responsive, shook his head when the ref stepped in and at no point looked out of it. He only got hit with like 5 punches (all in that flurry) the whole round.

I watched the fight. I don't feel like posting the entire fight, only the finish. I rewatched it this morning and I have not changed my opinion. The stoppage was definitely justified.

Two niggaz literally died this past week from fights....

And y'all complaining about the very next national major boxing broadcast calling an early stoppage?

Nunez neck was out there pop locking.... That shit was a reasonable ass stoppage

Two niggaz literally died this past week from fights....

And y'all complaining about the very next national major boxing broadcast calling an early stoppage?

Nunez neck was out there pop locking.... That shit was a reasonable ass stoppage

If you wanna say they called a bad stoppage b/c of the deaths then fine but don't lie to me and tell me the stoppage was reasonable.

Why even box at all if a match is over the second someone gets caught in a flurry of punches? Might as well eliminate 10 counts all together and call the fight the second someone looks like they're edging towards being knocked out. Just kill the sport.

People don't typically get seriously injured from 2nd round knockouts. It's the consistent pop shots to the head over the duration of a long fight. Calling the fight during a moment like that in the 7th or 8th makes more sense to me than what occured. You CANNOT make sense of ending a fight like that in the 2nd round. I'd go for making the 3 knockdown TKO universal before I'd sign off on this.

The more you guys speak about it the more I'm convinced you guys only saw the highlights b/c Nunes was in control that ENTIRE round, got popped in a moment of misguided cockiness and was immediately miffed the VERY second the fight was called.

I'll just put this here.

There's a difference between being on your heels and needing to be saved from yourself.

Crawford: No Streets, No Line - Best Supposed To Fight The Best!
By Jake Donovan

Terence ‘Bud’ Crawford has reached a point in his career—or at least his stay at welterweight—where all he can do is accept the fights with those willing to get in the ring with him.

The unbeaten three-division and current welterweight titlist is clearly the odd man out in a 147-pound division where nearly all of his best options reside under boxing adviser Al Haymon’s Boxing Champions (PBC) banner. Party lines have been crossed plenty of times in the past—Crawford himself posted title defenses at super lightweight versus Felix Diaz and John Molina Jr., both of whom advised by Haymon.

It’s been a different kind of energy, however, in getting the undefeated Omaha (Neb.) native in the ring with the division’s best. In particular, Crawford and Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum have repeatedly beaten the drums for a showdown with unbeaten titlist Errol Spence, but to no avail.

The two have circled each other for nearly a year, highlighted by their spirited verbal exchange back stage for a Top Rank on ESPN card last November in Oklahoma City, Okla. Crawford was in town as a regular ringside fixture for the series, while Spence was on hand in support of fellow Dallas native Maurice Hooker, then an undefeated titlist who scored a spectacular 7th round knockout of Alex Saucedo.

The back-and-forth between Crawford and Spence that night made for great copy, but no closer to bringing the two together in the ring. It was Spence who famously quipped last fall that Crawford is “on the wrong side of the street” in regards to being a viable option for his own immediate future.

Such talk has worn thin as it relates to the switch-hitting pound-for-pound entrant.

“There’s no such thing,” Crawford (35-0, 26KOs) insisted in correcting DAZN’s Chris Mannix on the topic, while in Arlington, Tex. for Saturday’s headliner between Jose Carlos Ramirez (Top Rank/ESPN) and Maurice Hooker (Roc Nation and Matchroom Boxing USA/DAZN). “There’s no such thing as across the street. Back in the day, you never heard fighters say across the street. What street? This is boxing. Everybody fight everybody.

“What street? Maurice is with DAZN and Roc Nation. Ramirez is with Top Rank and ESPN. What street is we talking about?”

While Crawford remains dismissive of such talk, it’s clear that the PBC-based welterweights are content with creating a series of high-level matchups within the division without his involvement. The July 20 Fox Sports Pay-Per-View headliner between Manny Pacquiao and Keith Thurman was just the latest entry in a year flooded with relevant welterweight action all under the PBC banner.

Spence is currently training for a title unification bout versus Shawn Porter, with their clash to take place September 28 at Staples Center in Los Angeles, Calif. The Fox Sports PPV headliner comes six months after the platform’s foray into the market, topped by Spence who pitched a 12-round shutout over Mikey Garcia this past March in Dallas, Tex. which sold more than 360,000 PPV units.

It has been teased that the winner of Spence-Porter could land a crack at Pacquiao in the first quarter of 2020, thus further flushing Crawford out of the queue.

“That’s their decision,” Crawford acknowledged of the development. “They got the rights to do whatever they want.”

In efforts to remain active, Crawford—whose last fight came in April, scoring an anti-climactic 6th round stoppage of Amir Khan atop an ESPN PPV event that generated in the neighborhood of 175,000 buys—could next face mandatory challenger Egidijus Kavaliauskas, an unbeaten Top Rank-promoted welterweight. The bout is being eyed for mid-October in Crawford’s hometown of Omaha, Neb. where he remains a sizable draw.

Aside from the homecoming, there isn’t anything particularly sexy about the pairing. Simply, it’s means to remain in the ring while continuing to push for bigger fights.

In that regard, he will continue to hold his divisional peers accountable more so than any claims of platforms, managers or promoters serving as a roadblock

“There’s no streets, no line, there’s no nothing,” insists Crawford. “You know… it’s boxing. The best supposed to fight the best, that’s it.”

Amir Khan: Thurman is Slow, I'd Give Pacquiao A lot of Problems
By Alex Wood, courtesy of The Daily Star

AMIR KHAN is ready to call time on his boxing career - but he wants one final hurrah against Manny Pacquiao.

The British boxing star is a former unified light-welterweight world champion and Olympic silver medalist.

But after 39 professional fights, Khan admits he’s now thinking of retirement.

The Bolton lad claimed the WBC international welterweight title with a fourth-round stoppage of Australian Billy Dib in Saudi Arabia earlier this month.

Following the bout, Khan sensationally claimed a deal to fight Pacquiao on November 8 had been sealed.

However, that was quickly rubbished by the Filipino superstar’s camp.

“I was just told what to say in the press conference by my advisors,” he said. “I think it was all very badly handled.

“I just think the only way a fight like that will happen is if me and Pacquiao sit together and talk.

“We’ll see if it happens next year. We both know it’s a big fight which can make a lot of money.

“Look, it’s the final chapter now. A couple of more fights - honestly. I’ve done well in the sport financially, winning titles and making a name for myself.

“It’s all about now just enjoying the last bit - the last few fights - and just calling it a day really.

“Health is everything and family. Everything you do is for your family. I want to be in one piece for when I’m spending time with them.

“You’re always just one punch away from getting hurt. I never want that one punch to land on me, you know? Before it’s too late… so let’s see how it goes.”

Pacquiao became the oldest welterweight champion in history two weekends back.

The 40-year-old beat WBA super champion Keith Thurman in a split decision in Las Vegas.

Khan is adamant he’d offer a far tougher challenge for the veteran, though.

“I’ve worked with him for years and years - I know him quite well,” he added.

“I think honestly I’d give him a lot of problems. He fought Thurman who’s got slow feet and slow hands.

“With me he’ll have a lot of problems because I move my hands fast, have better footwork and more head movement. I wouldn’t just stand there and get hit.

“You have to still give him credit, but he’s not the same Pacquiao he was a couple of years ago.”

Gervonta Davis: I'll Try and Break Every Bone in Farmer's Body!

WBA super featherweight champion Gervonta Davis is hungry to batter Tevin Farmer, the IBF's world champion, in a high stakes unification showdown.

Both boxers were in action on Saturday night, coming away with wins and their world titles.

Over in Baltimore, Davis made a statement when he blew away mandatory challenger Ricardo Nunez in two short rounds. And in Arlington, Farmer retained is title with a twelve round decision win over mandatory challenger Guillaume Frenois.

After the fight, both boxers called each other out.

Davis hopes a deal can get done - because he wants to punish Farmer in every single round.

"I bumped into him years ago, and there’s so much talk—he’s been talking. When we fight, I’m not gonna lie, I’m gonna try and break every bone in his body. I’m not holding back nothing. We can fight until one person dies, that’s how I feel," Davis told Premier Boxing Champions.

He cautions that a contest with Farmer would not establish the winner as the best fighter in the weight class.

Davis views himself and WBC world champion Miguel Berchelt as the best fighters at 130.

He aims to unify by the end of the year, and if that doesn't happen he intends to move up to lightweight for more gold.

"[Farmer is] not the best at 130, he’s not even top tier. Me and Miguel Berchelt would, but I don’t care who I fight as long as I get what I earned and it’s a fair shake. I’ll fight whoever. I will unify for sure by the end of this year. I’m gonna get one of those other champions. If I don’t unify though, I’m going up. If not 130, then we’ll go to 135 and snatch all of those belts up there. Keep supporting me, I fight for y’all," Davis said.

bud definitely on the wrong side of the street, top rank put his boys on espn, and bob dob't play friendly with others...

WBC Suspends Dillian Whyte's Position as Interim-Champ, Mandatory

By World Boxing Council

An "A" Sample UKAD collected from Mr. Dillian Whyte in relation with his bout against Oscar Rivas yielded an adverse finding.

In light of that adverse finding, and pending the outcome of the WBC’s own investigation and adjudicatory process, the WBC is provisionally suspending the WBC’s recognition of Dillian Whyte as WBC Interim World Heavyweight Champion and Mandatory Challenger of the division.

The WBC has notified Mr. Whyte and his team of the WBC's suspension, and that it will afford Mr. Whyte the opportunity to present its position to the WBC at an investigative hearing which will take place at a place and time to be announced in the near future.
Throughout its investigation and hearing, the WBC will afford Mr. Whyte and his team the opportunity to present any available information and materials, and any exculpatory evidence they might deem appropriate.

The stoppage was legit. Buddy was not responding

Not responding? Not responding to what? If you’re talking punch wise you don’t end a match because a nigga didn’t respond with punches over the course of 15 seconds (btw he was responding punch wise because he hit Tank square in the nose at the exact moment Tank landed his final haymaker as the ref stepped in between.)

But okay. Since you don’t seem to have watched either.

View attachment iOS Image - 2368674710.mov

Last edited:
Not responding? Not responding to what? If you’re talking punch wise you don’t end a match because a nigga didn’t respond with punches over the course of 15 seconds (btw he was responding punch wise because he hit Tank square in the nose at the exact moment Tank landed his final haymaker as the ref stepped in between.)

But okay. Since you don’t seem to have watched either.

View attachment 154907
Who recorded this, your dog? He was on the ropes clearly disoriented catching mad left hooks. Stoppage was legit

Who recorded this, your dog? He was on the ropes clearly disoriented catching mad left hooks. Stoppage was legit

Now I figured you'd say that and argue against what was clearly in your face (that he wasn't responsive like you stated), which is why I waited to upload the slow mo. Man's only got hit three times. He blocked and ducked EVERYTHING else. He didn't catch "mad" left hooks. Other than two punches and one feeler he was only being knocked off balance by the force of the blocked shots.

But I feel you. You aren't going to change your stance now so the discussion is for naught. I personally feel when you have a competitor that responsive and attentive then you give them room to collect themselves at the end of the round and leave room for a comeback. If it happens again THEN you stop a fight. You don't do that shit first time you see it especially when 75% of the shots are blocked.
View attachment IMG_4276.mov

Last edited:
Back