Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Added to Calendar: 05-18-24

test
Pics of Maidana after he retired always makes me laugh.

Here he looks like a flamboyant drug cartel boss....

DIoLqIcXkAMNE26

marcos-maidana.jpg

Maidana should have stayed on track for his comeback instead of bailing

Nah I he was way too big to get back down and I dont think he could get motivated to train, if a fighter isnt fully committed to a comeback its best to stay retired or there is a great risk to getting seriously hurt...

Vito Mielnicki Jr. Signs Contract With Premier Boxing Champions
By Jake Donovan

While most athletes his age will have to wait until later this fall to formal announce their intentions to compete at the collegiate level, 17-year old Vito Mielnicki Jr. held his own National Signing Day.

The rookie welterweight from northern New Jersey—who turned pro this past July in Newark—dropped a bombshell on Monday in announcing that he has joined the Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) family.

“When it came down to it, we just believed they have the top guys in the business and the best platform to showcase their fighters,” Mielnicki Jr. (1-0, 1KO) told BoxingScene.com of his decision to choose them among a sea of lucrative offers. “They publicize all of their fighters better than any other promotional company or network today.”

Interestingly, the move comes after Mielnicki Jr.—whose father Vito Sr. for years has run GH3 Promotions—turned pro on another platform, appearing on the July 13 undercard of an ESPN card headlined by local favorite 2016 Olympic silver medalist Shakur Stevenson.

Mielnicki Jr. ultimately stole the show in a big way, needing just 76 seconds to register a highlight reel 1st round knockout of Tamarcus Smith. The win came in front of a rabid crowd, with the entering West Essex High School senior personally selling more than 1,000 tickets for the occasion. In addition to making history in becoming the youngest-ever boxer to turn pro in the state of New Jersey, he suddenly transformed into a highly-sought after free-agent.

“That gave us all the leverage,” Anthony Catanzaro, Mielnicki’s manager told BoxingScene.com. “To make a pro debut with a tsunami, we exercised the leverage that we had. Whoever pursued us after that knew who we were and we knew what they brought to the table. We weren’t shortsighted.”

From there, it was dealer’s choice for Mienicki Jr., a four-time Junior National Golden Gloves champion amidst an amateur career where he went 147-22 and once had aspirations of serving on the 2020 U.S. Olympic boxing team.

He walked away from that dream following a disappointing and disputed loss in an overseas tournament earlier this year, instead deciding to turn pro. As previously detailed by BoxingScene.com senior writer Keith Idec, his pro debut came just three months after attending his junior prom and less than two months prior to entering his senior year.

What a story he will have to share with his classmates come Sept. 3. Of course in this era, most will have already peeped his online reveal by that point.

“Of course, my generation is always on the phone so it was a big deal to able to make my announcement that way, for all my friends and fans to see,” noted Mielnicki Jr., though also pointing out not all apps are created equal. “But as much as we’re on our phones, all my friends and family love watching boxing live on TV.

“That was a big deal for us too, seeing the way PBC treats all their fighters. Whether you’re a world champion or just turning pro, if they see something in you, then you’re going to make your way to a televised fight.”

It ultimately trumped what Top Rank and ESPN had to offer, as well as that of standalone streaming service DAZN.

“The resources that PBC has is unprecedented,” pointed out Catanzaro. “Terrestrial TV, post-fight shows—all of the shoulder programming and social media presence. They are unmatched across the board.”

It made the decision that much easier for one young man take his own family to boxing’s biggest family.

“I’m more than happy with what me and my team were able to accomplish,” notes Mielnicki Jr.. who was coy in revealing when his next fight—and first under the PBC banner—will take place but nevertheless thrilled with what the future hold. “There’s no question that (PBC creator and high-powered adviser) Al Haymon is the number-one force in boxing today.

“To be able to fight under his banner is unbelievable, and I’m going to make everyone at PBC proud that they invested in my future.”

Marcus Browne was robbed. That should've been a draw.

Browne can fight but he each time he got dropped he threw the same punch basically from the same distance and didn't get his hand back to protect his chin and Pascal caught him the same punch.

At the level it seems Browne's ability can take him he can't keep making the same mistake over and over again especially in the same fight.

Dana White: I Hope To Have Zuffa Boxing Running By October

UFC President Dana White has explained that his promised launch of Zuffa Boxing is only a few months away.

For the last two years, White has been promising to create his own boxing brand - which is going to be the sub-company of the UFC umbrella.

White has been eager to get the company off the ground since the UFC came together with Showtime to stage the Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor cross-sport boxing match in August 2017. The event generated massive numbers at the gate and on pay-per-view.

White explained that he's hired someone to run the boxing side and they are in process of building offices for the company.

“I’ve hired a guy to come in and run the boxing side,” White said to MMA Fighting. “Actually over here on the other side of my office, construction is going on, we’re building offices and a war room and all the things that we’re going to need for this thing to start running in October.

“I’m hoping to have Zuffa Boxing fully functional and running by October.”

It's being reported that White’s plan for Zuffa Boxing involves the completion of the new UFC Apex in Las Vegas.

The UFC Apex is a huge facility that also includes an arena for live fights. The UFC Apex also has a fully functional production studio - making it a perfect location to handle every aspect of the coming boxing brand.

Where will the Zuffa Boxing cards air? More than likely they will be exclusively streamed on UFC Fight Pass. The UFC Fight Pass service is already streaming boxing cards being put together by Lou DiBella, Roy Jones Boxing, and several other promotional outfits.

Joshua: My Mind Was Not Fully on Ruiz, It Was Partly on Wilder

Former world champion Anthony Joshua admits that he wasn't fully focused when he entered the ring against Andy Ruiz back on June 1 at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Joshua was shocked, as were most boxing fans, when Ruiz dropped him four times to secure a seventh round stoppage.

The victory gave Ruiz the WBA, WBO, IBF, IBO heavyweight titles.

Joshua was not happy with referee Mike Griffin's decision to stop the fight in the seventh.

"I didn't really know where I was other than in the corner but I had my arms back over the ropes waiting for the gum shield to replaced. The referee should not have expected me to fight on without it. I just saw the gumshield lying on the floor," Joshua told JD Sports.

Joshua would later admit that he wasn't mentally in tune for Ruiz - because he was already thinking ahead to a full unification with WBC world champion Deontay Wilder.

This time around, for the planned rematch at year's end, Joshua says his full focus will be on getting revenge.

"My mind was not fully on Ruiz but partly on the fight for the undisputed title against Deontay Wilder which was due next. But now we have this massive rematch and I will train differently for Andy. This time I will be ready to unleash the beast," Joshua said.

"This defeat has told me I must make my own decisions about everything inside the ring and around me outside. I was down to 40 percent of myself after that early punch behind the ear and had never felt like that before in my life. I was deep into an uphill struggle but I would still rather have lost flat on my back than like that."

Didnt they just rob Amir over there? Lol

Ain't pay him his money or that was someone on his side. Al ain't bout that

Anyone looking forward to Yarde vs Kovalev in a couple of weeks?

Yarde has never fought anyone as good as Kovalev before so it's hard to know exactly how good he is. This fight will tell us everything we still don't know about him. Does he have what it takes to step up in class and beat a top level boxer? Does he have the skills? The stamina? The chin? Kovalev will force Yarde to answer those questions. Yarde comes to drop bombs. He is fast and heavy handed so this is a match up I'm really excited to see.

Kovalev_Yarde_1920x1080_1024x576.0.jpg

Back