Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Fury vs Usyk: Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Added to Calendar: 05-18-24

test

Deontay Wilder Will Call FOX Fights From Ringside Saturday Night
By Keith Idec

Deontay Wilder will get an up-close look at a potential opponent Saturday night.

BoxingScene.com has learned that the WBC heavyweight champion has agreed to join FOX’s broadcast team for the network’s tripleheader from Barclays Center in Brooklyn. The 12-main event will feature a veteran heavyweight Wilder already has knocked out, Chris Arreola, and another, Adam Kownacki, that Wilder could encounter sometime in 2020 at Barclays Center.

Wilder will join former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis and blow-by-blow announcer Kenny Albert at ringside.

Wilder will fill in for Joe Goossen as part of FOX’s broadcast team. Goossen is Arreola’s trainer.

Unlike the Manny Pacquiao-Keith Thurman/Caleb Plant-Mike Lee event July 20 in Las Vegas, Goossen will not pull double duty for FOX’s three-bout broadcast Saturday night.

Wilder was part of FOX’s broadcast team July 20 as well, but he offered his analysis from an event desk inside MGM Grand Garden Arena. The unbeaten knockout artist didn’t call fights from ringside that night.

In addition to the main event between Brooklyn’s Kownacki (19-0, 15 KOs) and Arreola (38-5-1, 33 KOs, 2 NC), of Riverside, California, FOX will air a light heavyweight championship match that’ll send Staten Island’s Marcus Browne (23-0, 16 KOs), the WBA’s interim 175-pound champion, against former WBC champ Jean Pascal (33-6-1, 20 KOs, 1 NC), of Laval, Quebec.

In the opener of the tripleheader, Brooklyn’s Curtis Stevens (30-6, 22 KOs) and Nigeria’s Wale Omotoso (27-4, 21 KOs, 1 NC) will square off in a 10-round junior middleweight match. The telecast is set to start at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT.

If the heavily favored Kownacki wins, he’ll remain in line for a title shot. That championship chance could come later than expected, though, because Wilder will participate in back-to-back rematches with Luis Ortiz and Tyson Fury if the 33-year-old Wilder’s schedule unfolds as planned.

Wilder (41-0-1, 40 KOs) and Cuba’s Ortiz (31-1, 26 KOs, 2 NC) are expected to fight again in the fall, perhaps November 9. The Wilder-Ortiz rematch will be distributed by Showtime Pay-Per-View.

IBF strips Canelo of title, angers De La Hoya

Middleweight world champion Canelo Alvarez is in the market again for a fall opponent after negotiations for one of his mandatory defenses against Sergiy Derevyanchenko ended with no deal on Thursday afternoon and resulted in his being stripped of the IBF 160-pound title.

The IBF already had allowed for multiple postponements of a purse bid for the bout, and the Derevyanchenko camp even told the IBF it was OK with Alvarez not being stripped at Monday's deadline to allow them more time to work out a deal.

But the sides were far apart on the money even though, according to sources, streaming service DAZN, which has Alvarez under exclusive broadcast contact, had approved Derevyanchenko as an opponent with the stipulation that Alvarez take as much as a $5 million reduction on his $35 million guarantee for his next bout.

Derevyanchenko promoter Lou DiBella did not want to discuss the details of what went down with Alvarez promoter Golden Boy on Thursday but did tell ESPN: "I will confirm that we did not reach a deal by the IBF deadline."

After the final extended deadline at the end of business on Thursday came and went without a deal for the fight, the title was vacated. IBF president Daryl Peoples sent a letter, including to DiBella and George Gallegos, a lawyer representing Golden Boy, informing them of the decision to strip Alvarez.

"It is crystal clear from the correspondence that on July 26, 2019, [Golden Boy matchmaker] Robert Diaz, on behalf of Golden Boy Promotions, agreed that Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez would relinquish the IBF middleweight championship title, with no further negotiations or purse bid, if there was no completed deal between him and Derevyanchenko by the agreed upon extended deadline of Monday July 29, 2019 at 3 p.m. ET," Peoples wrote in the letter, a copy of which was obtained by ESPN. "As of today, August 1, 2019, the IBF has been advised that there is no such deal."

Golden Boy and Alvarez had made a last-ditch effort to keep the IBF title by asking for an exception to the mandatory defense against Derevyanchenko by saying Alvarez would fight a unification bout with WBO counterpart Demetrius Andrade. The IBF rules allow a unification fight to trump a mandatory defense, but only if the request is made within a specific time frame, which Golden Boy did not adhere to, according to Peoples' letter.

"As to Golden Boy's request of August 1, 2019 for approval to allow Alvarez to unify the title with WBO middleweight champion Demetrius Andrade [on] or about October 2019, IBF Rule 10 F.5 does not allow a boxer to request an exception since the IBF has sent out the notice of the date of the purse bid," Peoples wrote. "In this case the notice was sent out and the purse bid has been postponed. In addition, the boxers who were involved in the purse bid are not permitted to take any intervening bouts and if the champion does take an intervening bout he will forfeit the title. Rule 10 F.6. For the foregoing reasons, the IBF hereby declared the middleweight title vacant."

Alvarez (52-1-2, 35 KOs), 28, unified three major titles in his unanimous-decision win over Daniel Jacobs on May 4, but now he is down to one of the major middleweight belts. He still owns the WBA "super" title but he has been stripped by the IBF and the WBC, which gave him the newly created honorary designation of "franchise champion" and elevated interim titlist Jermall Charlo to its full titlist.

If the IBF follows its usual protocol, it will on Friday order a vacant title fight between Derevyanchenko and the next-leading available contender in its rankings, which is former unified world champion Gennady Golovkin, who had hoped for a third fight with Alvarez this fall. However, Alvarez refused to make the fight, even though it was the biggest fight available to him and the one DAZN pressured him to make. DAZN signed Golovkin earlier this year for the purpose of getting the eventual third fight between the two.

So Alvarez now likely will fight somebody else this fall, and Derevyanchenko (13-1, 10 KOs), 33, whose only loss was by split decision for the vacant IBF belt in October, and Golovkin (39-1-1, 35 KOs) likely will meet for the vacant IBF title in October.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya was upset by the IBF's decision and blasted the organization in a statement issued Thursday night.

"We are extremely disappointed at the IBF for forcing the world's best fighter to relinquish his world title," De La Hoya said. "We have been in serious negotiations with Sergiy Derevyanchenko's promoter. We offered his team an unprecedented amount of money for a fighter of his limited stature and limited popularity, but the truth is that I'm now certain they never had any intention of making a deal. But instead they wanted to force us to relinquish Canelo's belt. This is an insult to boxing and more importantly an insult to the boxing fans of the world.

"This decision validates already existing concerns about the credibility of the IBF championship. Canelo inherited a mandatory challenger by defeating Daniel Jacobs, the man who beat Derevyanchenko, so to strip him of his title without giving him enough time to make the best fight possible is truly what is wrong with boxing, and I plan to aggressively consider all legal actions possible."

Roach Says He's "Really Pissed Off" Over Buboy Comments

Could there be trouble brewing between the co-trainers of World Boxing Association welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao?

According to the Manila Bulletin, there appears to be an internal rumble shaking up between Freddie Roach and Buboy Fernandez.

The two trainers recently worked side by side, to prepare Pacquiao for his spectacular twelve round decision win over Keith Thurman at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Pacquiao, now 40-years-old, is still capable of performing at the elite level.

However, Roach would be the first to advise him to retire - if he saw the eight division champion slowing down.

But, Buboy conducted an interview where he told several reporters that Roach would have absolutely no power when it came to persuading Pacquiao to retire.

That statement struck a nerve with Roach.

“If I ever see signs of him slowing down, I’d be the first one to say it. Buboy said the other day that I don’t have the power to do that. Buboy, I don’t have the power to do that but my suggestion to him would be honest. I am really pissed off that he said that about me,” said Roach to The Manila Bulletin.

Roach explained further that he would keep Pacquiao away from the heavy hitters of the welterweight division.

“There’s a couple of guys that maybe we should stay away from and these guys are young, young, young killers,” said Roach, in reference to Spence and Crawford.

“If Manny sucks it up what he did in the last fight and shows these young guys how it’s all about…I mean, it’s just not over yet because his health is good, his mind."

Canelo Apologizes To Fans, Demands Answers From Golden Boy
By Jake Donovan

Reality has finally set in for Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez—and he’s none too pleased about it.

The World middleweight champion went public for the first time on Friday with his thoughts on being stripped of the International Boxing Federation (IBF) middleweight title on Thursday. Mexico’s Alvarez was due to make a mandatory defense versus Sergiy Derevyanchenko, only for the latest deadline to expire without a confirmed deal in place.

Unbeknown to Alvarez—or so he’s suggested out loud—a stipulation in the latest extension called for the IBF to vacate the title by close of business day Thursday in the event the two sides could not come to terms. The ruling came about after having granted multiple extensions over the course of the past two weeks.

Apparently, what was worked out in that regard was literally news to the party affected the most in the ordeal.

“I'm very upset and ashamed (along with) my fans, to have been unfairly stripped of my belt by the IBF,” Alvarez (52-1-2, 35KOs) revealed through his verified social media accounts on Friday. “Especially, when I did not have the knowledge of the agreement that GBP matchmaker had signed.”

Calls to Golden Boy personnel seeking comment went unreturned as this goes to publish.

Alvarez was ordered to defend versus Derevyanchenko just days after claiming the IBF belt in a three-title unification bout with Daniel Jacobs this past May in Las Vegas, Nev. With the win came the inherited mandatory, with the sanctioning body calling for both parties to open negotiations without so much as a congratulatory letter sent to its new champ.

A mea culpa was offered by the New Jersey-based organization one day after the fight was ordered, stating that Alvarez was granted a 30-day window where he could formally request a voluntary defense. Unfortunately, it only added to the confusion as Golden Boy was of the belief that either the World Boxing Council (WBC) or World Boxing Association (WBA) was next in the rotation of mandatory defenses.

With that came a purse bid hearing called for July 15. Golden Boy—on behalf of Alvarez—managed to have the session postponed twice and canceled altogether, confident that a deal could be reached to appease all parties. Four more deadlines were imposed until the IBF let the clock run out on Thursday without hearing any more pleas for more time.

Derevyanchenko (13-1) will now fight for the vacant title, his second run at the same crown. The Brooklyn-based Ukrainian puncher came up just short versus Jacobs, his career-long stablemate in their 12-round thriller last October. Another run at the title has come about courtesy of his close but clear points win over Jack Culcay in their title eliminator this past April.

While not yet finalized, Derevyanchenko will likely next face Gennadiy ‘GGG’ Golovkin for the vacant title. Golovkin, a former unified titlist, is next in line according to the IBF rankings and is already in advanced talks for such a fight to happen with a targeted date of Oct. 5 at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Pending the two coming to final terms, such a bout will stream live on DAZN-USA with whom Alvarez signed a record-breaking 10-fight, $350 million contract last fall. The sports streaming platform also went out of its way to sign Golovkin, with whom Alvarez fought to a draw and then beat via majority decision in their two-fight set.

DAZN’s intention all along was to stage a third fight, of the belief it would help bolster subscriptions well past the 1 million subscriber base they’d hope to reach in their first year of business in the U.S. market. Alvarez was frosty on such a fight, in particular for his general disdain of Golovkin but also of the insistence that he wanted the Kazakhstan native to first reclaim a belt before coming back to the table.

The one he could bring is the very strap Alvarez just conceded, his second in just over a month without losing either in the ring.

He accepted a WBC ruling to inherit a “Franchise” champion label, which came with his actual belt being handed over to interim titlist Jermall Charlo. It was the second time Alvarez has parted ways with the title, the prior occasion coming after his refusal to defend versus Golovkin in 2016.

The development led to a year-long grudge held by Alvarez—and by proxy, Golden Boy—with the Mexico-based sanctioning body. The two sides eventually hugged it out in early 2018, with Alvarez going on to reclaim the belt in his aforementioned win over Golovkin.

Now down to one title, Alvarez is coming out swinging outside the ropes. The public revelation confirmed rumors first revealed by ESPN.com’s Steve Kim of their being internal issues between the superstar fighter and Golden Boy.

Friday’s declaration certainly lends credence to that claim. Now that it’s out in the public, he’s prepared to move on with his career—for now, still with Golden Boy but undoubtedly on his terms and with his full involvement moving forward.

“For my part I will continue as always,” promised Alvarez, vowing to do so “..with discipline and desire to continue to be triumphant.”

Gervonta Davis Feels He's Ready Right Now For Lomachenko

WBA super featherweight world champion Gervonta Davis told TMZ Sports says he's ready, willing and able to get in the ring with Vasyl Lomachenko, who holds the WBA, WBO lightweight straps.

Tank is coming off a second round stoppage over Ricardo Nunez, in a bout that took place last weekend in Baltimore. He improved his record to an impressive 22-0.

31-year-old Lomachenko is widely regarded as one of the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. He's 13-1 and hasn't lost since 2014, when he suffered a twelve round decision loss at the hands of Orlando Salido.

Lomachenko is scheduled to return on August 31, when he faces Luke Campbell at the O2 Arena in London. The vacant WBC lightweight title will also be at stake in the contest.

Davis states that he's very interested in getting in the fight with Lomachenko at some point.

"Of course [I'm interested in the Loma fight]. Just as a boxing fan, ya know, top guys fighting each other. Definitely looking for that. Maybe the beginning of 2020," Davis said.

Davis is only 24, and Lomachenko has a mountain of experience with a voluminous amateur background that includes two Olympic gold medals. Davis is not intimidated, and believes that he's ready right now for the fight.

"[I'm] old enough to take on the challenge. I think I have enough skills. I’m maturing as a fighter, as a person. I think it’s time," Davis said.

And, his message to Lomachenko...

"Just keep winning and someday we will get in there. We will get in there for sure," Davis said.

Andy Ruiz on Facing Joshua in UK: That's Not Going To Happen!

IBF, IBO, WBA, WBO heavyweight champion Andy Ruiz is standing firm with respect to his position of not fighting in the UK.

Back on June 1 at Madison Square Garden in New York City, Ruiz dropped Joshua four times before the contest was waved off in the seventh round.

Joshua, eager to get revenge in a timely manner, exercised an immediate rematch clause within a few days time.

In a recent interview, Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn named Cardiff's Principality Stadium as the "frontrunner" to host the rematch on December 14th.

But Ruiz would rather not take the fight in Joshua's backyard.

"That's not going to happen. We have been going back and forth, my team and their team. I'd love to have it back at Madison Square Garden to run it back. The Staples Center [Los Angeles], Las Vegas would have been great too," Ruiz told Joe Rogan.

The location has been a sticking point, with both sides haggling back and forth.

Ruiz is already mapping out the training camp and expects the rematch to take place this year.

"I don't think we will be changing too much. Just exactly what we did for the last one is what we will be doing, just more intense. I'm willing to fight anybody, as soon as I win the rematch. Tyson Fury, Deontay Wilder - anybody," Ruiz said.

Prior to leaving Top Rank and signing with Al Haymon's Premier Boxing Champions a few months ago, Ruiz was going through some tough times financially.

"A lot of people didn't know we were struggling a lot even before this fight," Ruiz said. "I was with Top Rank and not getting a lot of fights. I had one more fight left with them and they didn't want to let me go so I had to pay the contract off. Everything turned around so quick.

"From having nothing to wanting something in life is big motivation, especially me - I have five kids. It feels nice getting the stuff I always wanted, seeing famous people having nice stuff, now I can get it for myself, my family, kids and mother."

Last edited:

Arum: Wilder-Fury Rematch is Set, But One of Them Could Lose

Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum, who promotes Tyson Fury in the United States, expects him to face WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder in a rematch.

Wilder and Fury fought to a controversial twelve round split draw in December 2018, at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.

The rematch is being targeted for a date in February 2020, at a likely venue in Las Vegas.

But before that happens, both boxers are scheduled to have interim-bouts in the fall.

"The deal is done," Arum said to BBC Sport in Northern Ireland. "But like everything else in boxing it could be an undone deal."

Wilder will have a rematch with Luis Ortiz on a date in October or November. Wilder, who found himself in serious trouble earlier in the bout, stopped Ortiz in the tenth round back in March 2018.

And Fury will face undefeated contender Otto Wallin on September 14th at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Arum's main worry is that one of the boxers will get upset in the coming months, which in turn would crush any plans for a second fight.

"Each of these guys are having an interim fight for whatever reason I can't fathom," Arum said. "Wilder is fighting Ortiz who had him in trouble the last time they fought and Fury is fighting this big Swedish kid in September.

"Hopefully they get by, they win their fights. Then we have a date already and we have two networks that are going to participate in this event. Everything is set but one of these could end up losing."

How a second fight takes place will be interesting, because Fury is aligned with ESPN in America - while Wilder fights under Premier Boxing Champions, who have exclusive deals with rival networks Showtime and Fox Sports

Tyson Fury To Fight Otto Wallin On September 14 In Las Vegas
By Keith Idec

Tyson Fury has an opponent for the second fight of his deal with Top Rank and ESPN.

BoxingScene.com has confirmed that the lineal heavyweight champion will fight Sweden’s Otto Wallin. The Athletic first reported Friday that the Fury-Wallin fight has been finalized.

BoxingScene.com also has learned that the Fury-Wallin fight will headline a card September 14 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Top Rank had considered taking Fury’s next fight to TD Garden in Boston, but he’ll fight a second straight bout in Las Vegas.

England’s Fury (28-0-1, 20 KOs) knocked out Germany’s Tom Schwarz (24-1, 16 KOs) in the second round June 15 at MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Top Rank offered the Fury fight to numerous heavyweights, but ultimately chose Wallin over veteran Frenchman Johann Duhaupas (37-5, 24 KOs) and New Zealand’s Junior Fa (18-0, 10 KOs) for a main event ESPN+ will stream.

Sweden’s Wallin (20-0, 13 KOs, 1 NC) is a 6-foot-5 southpaw, but he is untested at the championship level. Wallin is ranked No. 6 by the WBA and No. 10 by the IBF.

Wallin was supposed to fight BJ Flores on July 12 in Tacoma, Washington, but their 10-round fight was canceled the day of their bout because the Washington State Department of Licensing wouldn’t approve Flores for a license due to an undisclosed medical issue.

In the 28-year-old Wallin’s last fight, he was forced to settle for a no-contest following less than one round of action.

An accidental clash of heads between Wallin (20-0, 13 KOs, 1 NC) and Baltimore’s Nick Kisner caused a cut over Kisner’s right eye midway through the first round of a fight scheduled for 10 rounds April 13 at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey. A ringside physician for New Jersey’s State Athletic Control Board determined that Kisner (21-4-1, 6 KOs, 1 NC) couldn’t continue and referee David Franciosi stopped their fight.

If the 30-year-old Fury defeats Wallin, the former IBF/IBO/WBA/WBO champion is expected to challenge WBC heavyweight champ Deontay Wilder (41-0-1, 40 KOs) in a rematch early in 2020.

Their second fight is dependent, too, on Wilder beating Cuban contender Luis Ortiz (31-1, 26 KOs, 2 NC) in their rematch. The second battle between Wilder and Ortiz, which will be distributed by Showtime Pay-Per-View, could take place November 9.

Fury is taking on another no hoper. First Schwarz and now Wallin. I thought Fury said he was only interested in fighting top level fighters and not "bums". Had somebody else, AJ or Wilder took on guys like Wallin and Schwarz Fury would be quick to diss them. Now I expect Fury to label Wallin a big threat and a very good opponent. Fury is such a walking talking contradiction.

Fury just doesn't give a fuck like most guys do.

Most fighters talk shit about being and fighting the best. Fury like fuck the drama, I just want a steady pay check

I cant front that Fury fight is a joke but his team clearly taking 'easy' fights because the 2nd Wilder fight is all set, so no one wants an upset (i.e aj/ruiz) to ruin that...

Last edited:
Back