Welcome To aBlackWeb

Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Added to Calendar: 05-18-24

Who Wins Tonight?

• Tank Davis

• Frank Martin

Results are only viewable after voting.
GBP did not go over Hearn's head per say at all, Eddie was in on it the negations for the Canelo/DAZN deal, and Eddie made the Fieding deal with Diaz, Im not sure where GBP going over Eddie's came from, I don't know Im not in on discussions and Im not that bothered TBF... Either way I don't believe a word Oscar or Eddie say!!!

With regards to Canelo's bouts, Ive said the same thing Im not disagreeing there... I was saying for years GBP were protecting him from GGG, I don't think he actually didn't want to fight him, I think it was Oscar protecting his 'Golden Egg'... Im just saying Canelo going forward will not get away from having to fight credible opponents...

Boxing has always being about timing, thats why Im kinda anti SRL for the way he done Haglar, but its the sport... Who would you like to see him face??? And who do you think he will face???

In the MW division there isn't alot to choose from, off top Jacobs, Charlo, GGG, Andrade, Billy Joe, I would love to see BJS have a pop at Canelo, but I cant see that happening now BJS lost his mando status plus is with Frank Warren.... Then at SM: Callum Smith, Ramirez, Groves, DeGale so there's not an awful lot of choice, personally I'll take any of those fights... But then if Jacobs and BJS are ruled out and Groves and DeGale might face each other or Eubank vs one of them, forget Eubank Jr/Canelo there would be outrage... There really isn't alot of choice... Unless Im forgetting someone...

That's a horrible opinion to have considering who Ray Leonard fought before Hagler and the fact that he had a detached retina surgery

That's a horrible opinion to have considering who Ray Leonard fought before Hagler and the fact that he had a detached retina surgery

What say Im 'kinda anti SRL'??? Im not disputing him a great boxer...

Are you forgetting the demands SRL stated for the fight??? It was criminal... Hagler chased and harassed SRL his whole career, SRL said himself he didn't want ANY parts of Hagler until he saw Hagler's last fight, Hagler said himself to Ray I believe, that he is no longer motivated... Then SRL decides to pop out of retirement and fight a worn-out Hagler... Youre basically slating Canelo for doing a similar thing, but nowhere near as bad...

SRL demanded a bigger ring so he move, the fight to be 12 rounds not 15 rounds, 10oz gloves not 8oz and almost twice the amount of the purse... Had the fight been 15round Hagler would of probably one, had the fight been in smaller ring with 8oz AND 15rounds Im sure Hagler would of won, had they both been in their prime, Im also sure Hagler would of won...

Are you forgetting the demands SRL stated for the fight??? It was criminal... Haglar chased and harassed SRL his whole career, SRL said himself he didn't want ANY parts of Haglar until he saw Haglar's last fight, Haglar said himself to Ray I believe, that he is no longer motivated... Then SRL decides to pop out of retirement and fight a worn-out Haglar... Youre basically slating Canelo for doing a similar thing, but nowhere near as bad...

SRL demanded a bigger ring so he move, the fight to be 12 rounds not 15 rounds, 10oz gloves not 8oz and almost twice the amount of the purse... Had the fight been 15round Haglar would of probably one, had the fight been in smaller ring with 8oz AND 15rounds Im sure Haglar would of won, had they both been in their prime, Im also sure Haglar would of won...

Somebody has been drinking the kool aid and don't know the truth.

Hagler got paid more than Leonard
Hagler had already fought in a TWO 12 round fights before fighting Leonard
Leonard prime weight class wasn't middleweight.

Hagler chased Leonard cause Leonard was the cash cow of his era. No different than everyone screaming Floyd name and everyone screaming Canelo name now.

Canelo is in his PRIME right now.

Leonard nor Hagler were in their prime when they fought. Also Leonard and Hagler fought damn near everybody they were supposed fight when both fighters were in their primes.

Only prime fighter Canelo has fought was Lara. All of the fighters Canelo has fought that were supposed to be good he has gotten controversial wins over.

Canelo doesn't have not 1 clear non controversial win over a top tier fighter.

Stop it Canelo don't compare.

Last edited:
this is hilarious...

this the reason why Bob arum left HBO and inked his own deal with ESPN.. he not working with any other egos...

this why Al Haymon got his exclusive PBC network deals... h ain't gotta worry about no other egos..

Oscar and Eddie Hearn gonna drive each other crazy......

and Oscar still got beef with Dana White..

He going bald in 2019

this is hilarious...

this the reason why Bob arum left HBO and inked his own deal with ESPN.. he not working with any other egos...

this why Al Haymon got his exclusive PBC network deals... h ain't gotta worry about no other egos..

He going bald in 2019

Exactly

The other thing is these dudes need to realize they not going to be able to get over on one another. They all know the game and how its played. Once they come to grips with that I think more fights can be made.

I also think they don't fuck with Haymon cause he not willing to rip off his fighters like they do.

Somebody has been drinking the kool aid and don't know the truth.

Hagler got paid more than Leonard
Hagler had already fought in a TWO 12 round fights before fighting Leonard
Leonard prime weight class wasn't middleweight.

Hagler chased Leonard cause Leonard was the cash cow of his era. No different than everyone screaming Floyd name and everyone screaming Canelo name now.

Are serious breda, they could of easily met at a catch weight, and Leonard has already fought at 154, Hagler would of come down... Fighters in that era of 147-160 were fighting left, right and centre... In fact the forgotten one is Benitez... Hagler would of chopped off his right arm to make that fight happen... Have you read SRL book??? Or the excellent 'Four Kings'???

OK if Hager took more money fine, but that does not take away from the fact of SRL demands, all the odds were stacked in his favour, infact the myth of fighting after 2 years out if rubbish too, he fought loads of unsanctioned bouts before making his decision to fight Hagler...

this is hilarious...

He going bald in 2019

This has always been the problem with boxing... Bob and Al just creates for in house fights though... I hate UFC, BUT what they have working PERFECTLY is its one organisation/promotion and they make all the fighters fight eachother...

Are serious breda, they could of easily met at a catch weight, and Leonard has already fought at 154, Hagler would of come down... Fighters in that era of 147-160 were fighting left, right and centre... In fact the forgotten one is Benitez... Hagler would of chopped off his right arm to make that fight happen... Have you read SRL book??? Or the excellent 'Four Kings'???

OK if Hager took more money fine, but that does not take away from the fact of SRL demands, all the odds were stacked in his favour, infact the myth of fighting after 2 years out if rubbish too, he fought loads of unsanctioned bouts before making his decision to fight Hagler...

What were the odds besides a bigger ring?

You still forgetting all of the GOAT fighters Ray Leonard fought outside of fighting Hagler and the time frame with which he fought them in. You also forgetting the man had a fucked up eye that required surgery.

I can respect that you are a Hagler fan over Leonard. Nothing wrong with that. But the shit you trying to use to run down Leonard in favor of Hagler just don't hold up under the light.

Arum hate Haymon so much, he accused him of setting up a boxing monopoly and tried to sue him from 100 million 6 months into the launch of his company...

https://www.ringtv.com/393289-top-rank-sues-al-haymon-for-100-million-alleges-monopoly-attempt/

that's like Grouchy Greg suing Goldie 6 months into ABW just cuz a few guys jumped ship

What makes Arum even more fucked up his he copied Haymon's model for his ESPN deal.

The black man can do it he just can't do it first or better than the white man is how they see it.

What were the odds besides a bigger ring?

You still forgetting all of the GOAT fighters Ray Leonard fought outside of fighting Hagler and the time frame with which he fought them in. You also forgetting the man had a fucked up eye that required surgery.

I can respect that you are a Hagler fan over Leonard. Nothing wrong with that. But the shit you trying to use to run down Leonard in favor of Hagler just don't hold up under the light.

Im not disputing how great SRL was, its obvious, look at what I said... I just don't like the way he played Hagler...

The demands??? Like I said bigger ring, smaller gloves, have the bout changed from 15 rounds to 12rounds... And the fact he choose to fight Hagler when Hagler had already told him he was finished, thats sneaky....And he knew he had more in him... It was Hagler's last fight, Ray went on and fought Hearns and Duran again...

SRL did the same shit everybody does.. boxing politics always been the dirtiest part of the sport, i just hate when they try to make only 1 or 2 people the villains

SRL did the same shit everybody does.. boxing politics always been the dirtiest part of the sport, i just hate when they try to make only 1 or 2 people the villains

I just feel like Ray did Hagler extra grimy, I think if I remember, Hagler didn't know Ray was thinking of a comeback, and they were at a bar or somewhere and he told Ray he was retiring, something along them lines, so Ray was like, bingo its time... Knowing Hagler wouldn't say no to the fight...

Im not disputing how great SRL was, its obvious, look at what I said... I just don't like the way he played Hagler...

The demands??? Like I said bigger ring, smaller gloves, have the bout changed from 15 rounds to 12rounds... And the fact he choose to fight Hagler when Hagler had already told him he was finished, thats sneaky....And he knew he had more in him... It was Hagler's last fight, Ray went on and fought Hearns and Duran again...

I never said you said alluded to he wasn't great. I'm speaking only on Leonard vs Hagler and what you saying about them.

Hagler was already fighting 12 rounds fights. So how was the bout changed from 15 to 12? Did you actually see those Hearns and Duran fights? They were all shells of themselves fighting for good checks because of the weight their names carried. It was nothing more than that.

Hagler could've said no since he was "done". Hagler didn't fight again cause he felt he was robbed against Leonard on the cards not because he was physically done. Not going to let you pull that shit.

Like I said neither fighter was at their best. So you what saying doesn't hold up.

I never said you said alluded to he wasn't great. I'm speaking only on Leonard vs Hagler and what you saying about them.

Hagler was already fighting 12 rounds fights. So how was the bout changed from 15 to 12? Did you actually see those Hearns and Duran fights? They were all shells of themselves fighting for good checks because of the weight their names carried. It was nothing more than that.

Hagler could've said no since he was "done". Hagler didn't fight again cause he felt he was robbed against Leonard on the cards not because he was physically done. Not going to let you pull that shit.

Like I said neither fighter was at their best. So you what saying doesn't hold up.

Of course Ive watched it, many times... And its clear they were both passed their best, Hagler had already contemplated retirement and told Ray that... And had come outta retirement... Thats what also pisses me off...

With regards to the rounds, Hagler had over 60 fights 2 had been 12rounders, it wasn't the norm back then... But my point is, SRL called him out and it was changed to 15rounds and Hagler got an extra $1million for the concession... Thats not counting the glove and ring size etc it was stacked against him...

Like I said, my gripe with it was the way in which Ray went about securing the fight, knowing Hagler wasn't motivated and thinking of retiring... I just find it sneaky, but TBF Ray has said it was all calculated...

GBP did not go over Hearn's head per say at all, from what I gather Eddie was in on it the negations for the Canelo/DAZN deal,

From an ESPN article says nothing about Hearn being involved.

De La Hoya and Gomez also met with John Skipper
, the executive chairman of Perform Group, DAZN's parent company, in Los Angeles. De La Hoya and Skipper already knew each other from when Skipper was the president of ESPN and Golden Boy had a limited deal for a series of boxing events on the network; and they were able to make this deal in relatively short order because De La Hoya needed a home for his fighters and Skipper, with money to spend, needed content for the new service.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...s-5-year-11-fight-deal-worth-365-million-dazn

Of course Ive watched it, many times... And its clear they were both passed their best, Hagler had already contemplated retirement and told Ray that... And had come outta retirement... Thats what also pisses me off...

With regards to the rounds, Hagler had over 60 fights 2 had been 12rounders, it wasn't the norm back then... But my point is, SRL called him out and it was changed to 15rounds and Hagler got an extra $1million for the concession... Thats not counting the glove and ring size etc it was stacked against him...

Like I said, my gripe with it was the way in which Ray went about securing the fight, knowing Hagler wasn't motivated and thinking of retiring... I just find it sneaky, but TBF Ray has said it was all calculated...

15 rounders were already being phased out. Plenty of fights were 12 rounds then as well including Hagler's previous 2 fights. Just because Hagler was more active and the 15 rounds would've benefit him more than Leornard doesn't mean the shit was changed out of the blue.

You acting like Ray hadn't retired twice already before that fight. Ray said he thought he "Might" have a chance to beat Hagler after he saw Mugabi fight because he thought Hagler lost a step.

You can feel it was fucked up all you want just use the right reasons for those feelings. Both fighters out of prime you saying Hagler wasn't motivated, Leonard had surgery on his eye but yet Leonard the one who more fucked up. LLS you entitled to your opinion.

From an ESPN article says nothing about Hearn being involved.

De La Hoya and Gomez also met with John Skipper
, the executive chairman of Perform Group, DAZN's parent company, in Los Angeles. De La Hoya and Skipper already knew each other from when Skipper was the president of ESPN and Golden Boy had a limited deal for a series of boxing events on the network; and they were able to make this deal in relatively short order because De La Hoya needed a home for his fighters and Skipper, with money to spend, needed content for the new service.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...s-5-year-11-fight-deal-worth-365-million-dazn

Why is this going over Eddie's head though??? He's got a link to his stable with Golden Boy and Canelo, all promoters want to save face... Like I said its pointless believing anything in print, Eddie would of prolly been in the loop either way... Eddie has a huge deal with DAZN, and the money and numbers British fans bring to the table is crazy and they know they all need to work together... Its hardly a surprise the first fight was with a Matchroom fighter...

All promoters are picking sides now, Frank Warren working with Top Rank etc its tit for tat... I just wanna see more cross promotion fights....

15 rounders were already being phased out. Plenty of fights were 12 rounds then as well including Hagler's previous 2 fights. Just because Hagler was more active and the 15 rounds would've benefit him more than Leornard doesn't mean the shit was changed out of the blue.

You acting like Ray hadn't retired twice already before that fight. Ray said he thought he "Might" have a chance to beat Hagler after he saw Mugabi fight because he thought Hagler lost a step.

You can feel it was fucked up all you want just use the right reasons for those feelings. Both fighters out of prime you saying Hagler wasn't motivated, Leonard had surgery on his eye but yet Leonard the one who more fucked up. LLS you entitled to your opinion.

My god, look at what I said, they were both over the hill, clearly thats not what Im saying, Im saying I didnt like the way Ray went about it... It was scheduled for 15 rounds.... It got changed to 12, Hagler got $1million for it... His demands etc

Hagler told Ray he wasn't motivated anymore, before he knew Ray wanted a comeback.... Again, I think it sneaky and I didn't like that...Ray confirms it:

'The way Marvin thinks, if you're not a threat, Marvin's cool with you. So we sat there at Jameson's, my restaurant, had a few glasses of champagne, and he just started telling me things. He said, "I'm not motivated, I cut easy." He was telling me things that normally a fighter wouldn't [say], because I'm retired. He felt like I felt when I was retired. You don't have that same commitment in your heart, or that edge that we had from day one. I think you become civilized. You're not the fighter you used to be because now you're flying in private planes, you're staying in suites, girls tell you how cute you are. That's not conducive to being a great fighter. He had one foot out the door'

SOURCE:
http://grantland.com/features/hagler-vs-leonard/

Back