Welcome To aBlackWeb

Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Added to Calendar: 05-18-24

Who Wins Tonight?

• Tank Davis

• Frank Martin

Results are only viewable after voting.
https://www.boxingscene.com/crawford-frustrated-times-i-get-credit-i-deserve--132788

Crawford Frustrated at Times; "I Don't Get the Credit I Deserve"
By Keith Idec

OMAHA, Nebraska – Terence Crawford knows what his detractors will state and write now that he has stopped Jose Benavidez Jr.

The unbeaten WBO welterweight champion expects them to degrade Benavidez, who was competitive with Crawford for five rounds before Crawford took control and beat him by 12th-round technical knockout Saturday night at CHI Health Center.

The three-division champion has grown used to such criticism during his ascent toward the top of pound-for-pound lists.

The Omaha native knows he won’t be able to sway some skeptics until he defeats a fellow welterweight champion – either Errol Spence Jr. (IBF), Shawn Porter (WBC) or Keith Thurman (WBA). But until he is able to land one of those title unification fights, Crawford feels he won’t receive the proper respect for his victories.

“It can be frustrating at times because I feel like I don’t get the credit I deserve,” Crawford said after beating Benavidez. “So I get a little frustrated. But at the same time, like you said, it’s out of my hands. I can’t do nothing about it, but continue to do what I do inside the ring.”

By defeating Benavidez, Crawford (34-0, 25 KOs) made the first defense of the WBO 147-pound championship he won from Jeff Horn on June 9 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Crawford was a 10-1 favorite over Australia’s Horn (18-1-1, 12 KOs), but an even heavier favorite, 25-1, against the previously unbeaten Benavidez.

At 6-feet, Benavidez is bigger than the 5-feet-8 Crawford and, at 26, younger than the 31-year-old champion. That didn’t stop Crawford from picking apart Benavidez throughout the second half of their scheduled 12-rounder.

Crawford battered Benavidez to the body, slowed down his game challenger and dropped him with a crushing right uppercut with under a minute remaining in their fight. Benavidez got up, but Crawford pounced on him, hurt Benavidez again with a right hook and their ESPN main event was stopped with 18 seconds left in it.

Benavidez (27-1, 18 KOs) fought for just the third time since resuming his career earlier this year following an 18-month layoff. He suffered a career-threatening injury to his right leg when an unknown assailant shot Benavidez in an August 2016 incident in his native Phoenix.

“They gonna say, ‘Oh, Benavidez wasn’t nobody. He didn’t beat nobody. He had a messed-up leg,’ ” Crawford said. “They gonna bring up so much to say about him to discredit me from doing what I did, just like he discredited me for fighting Jeff Horn.”

all props to benevidez for putting up the fight he did, but he was a one legged fighter against a top p4p talent....

so if Bud was pushing for it like arum suggests....then that KO should have came much earlier than the 12th

by making that statement it discredits bud more than anything... which is ironic considering the very next article posted.....

"Top 25 Fastest Boxers" from Boxing Legends TV

I agree with and disagree w/ some of the rankings of course, but it's a dope video.

https://www.boxingscene.com/dazn-stream-canelo-fielding-card-future-canelo-fights--132806

DAZN To Stream Canelo-Fielding Card, Future Canelo Fights
By Keith Idec

DAZN has made its most significant impact yet in the crowded American market for televising or streaming boxing.

BoxingScene.com has learned DAZN, a new streaming service that launched September 22 in the United States, has secured the rights to show Canelo Alvarez’s next fight, a December 15 super middleweight title bout against Rocky Fielding at Madison Square Garden. Alvarez-Fielding is expected to be the first of a multi-fight agreement for Alvarez’s bouts to be streamed by DAZN.

Streaming Alvarez-Fielding represents considerable progress for fledgling DAZN because once Alvarez faces Fielding, the deep-pocketed newcomer will have provided U.S. coverage of perhaps the sport’s two biggest active stars – Alvarez and unbeaten heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua – within its first three months. The agreement between Golden Boy Promotions, Alvarez and DAZN will be officially announced at a press conference Wednesday at Madison Square Garden.

The deal, which will include additional Golden Boy dates on DAZN, means fans will be able to watch Alvarez’s fights for a significantly lower fee than usual ($9.99 for a monthly subscription in the United States). Nine of Alvarez’s past 10 fights have been pay-per-view events distributed either by HBO or Showtime, and typically have cost between $65 and $75 to view in HD.

The Mexican superstar’s last fight, a majority-decision victory over Gennady Golovkin in their middleweight championship rematch September 15 in Las Vegas, cost $84.99 to watch in HD.

HBO, which signed Alvarez to a multi-fight agreement before his third-round knockout of James Kirkland in May 2015, is believed to have contractually owned the right of first refusal to Alvarez’s next fight. When HBO announced last month, however, that it is moving away from broadcasting boxing, Oscar De La Hoya began seeking a new television or streaming home for his company’s franchise fighter.

Showtime also expressed significant interest in televising Alvarez’s fights again. Showtime televised each of Alvarez’s five fights before the Kirkland bout either live on the network or via pay-per-view.

The most noteworthy of those five fights was Alvarez’s majority-decision defeat to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in September 2013. Mayweather-Alvarez drew roughly 2.2 million buys and generated approximately $150 million in pay-per-view revenue.

The 28-year-old Alvarez (50-1-2, 34 KOs), the WBA/WBC middleweight champion, will attempt to win a world title in a third weight class when he challenges Fielding on December 15. The 31-year-old Fielding (27-1, 15 KOs), of Liverpool, England, will make his first defense of the WBA world super middleweight title he won by stopping Germany’s Tyron Zeuge (23-1-1, 13 KOs) in the fifth round July 14 in Offenburg, Germany.

Big move by DAZN.. But I’m still not fucking with streaming service tho...

Last edited:
Not that big of a deal IMO if its just a one fight deal between dazn and Canelo. Now if Canelo plans to fight off of ppv more often and they get the rights to his non ppv fights that would be a big deal.

https://www.boxingscene.com/canelos-deal-with-dazn-10-fights-365-million-guarantee--132826

Canelo's Deal With DAZN is 10 Fights, $365 Million Guarantee

As BoxingScene.com first reported on Tuesday, boxing's biggest network free agent - Canelo Alvarez - signed a multi-year deal with streaming service, DAZN.

The first fight of that deal will take place on December 15th, when Canelo moves up to 168-pounds to challenge Rocky Fielding for the WBA "regular" super middleweight title at New York's Madison Square Garden.

Canelo's contract with HBO expired last month. And soon after the network announced their intention to drop boxing by the end of the year.

The Los Angeles Times has reported that Canelo's deal with DAZN is a five year pact - with 10 fights under that deal.

And entire package is worth a staggering guarantee of $365 million.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya, who promotes the boxer, spoke to the paper and called it “the highest paid guaranteed contract in sports history.”

As part of the new deal, Golden Boy is guaranteed 10 shows a year on DAZN (starting in 2019) - which is a huge boost for De La Hoya's company, because they lost their network home when HBO announced their decision to part ways with the sport.

Canelo and Golden Boy will officially announce the deal on Wednesday, during a New York City press conference to promote the Mexican superstar's showdown with Fielding.

The pairing of Canelo and DAZN is a breath of fresh air for his followers - because the app is available for the monthly fee of $9.95.

Canelo, who is only 28-years-old and currently the biggest draw on pay-per-view, was a costly attraction for his legion of loyal fans.

Last month's rematch with Gennady Golovkin was nearly $90 on HBO Pay-Per-View.

DAZN crashed on the scene a few months ago, when they finalized an eight year content deal, worth $1 billion, with British promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom. DAZN also signed a nine-figure content deal with Bellator, which is the UFC's biggest competitor in the United States.

I see See it all the time ppl are that silly matter ofbfact dide wasnlike ubdont eatch UFC because dana white a few days ago.... what

i got espn +.. i ain't getting dazn....

as much as i hate arum, he stay putting on some good prospects....

https://www.boxingscene.com/golden-boy-prez-we-signed-with-leader-sports-streaming--132835

Golden Boy Prez: We Signed With The Leader of Sports Streaming!

World middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez has set the boxing world ablaze, after he signed a lucrative long-term deal with sports streaming service DAZN that will see him earn at least $365 million over five years, it was officially announced Wednesday.

Mexican star Alvarez, who dethroned Gennady Golovkin in their gruelling rematch in Las Vegas last month, will fight 11 times as part of the deal, starting with December's super-middleweight bout in New York against Rocky Fielding.

Alvarez's deal with DAZN, which runs through 2023, is the most lucrative long-term athlete contract in history, shattering the 13-year $325 million deal signed by baseball's Giancarlo Stanton in 2014.

Alvarez's handlers at Golden Boy Promotions, run by former world champion Oscar De La Hoya, brokered the deal with DAZN, an online streaming service that only launched in September.

“As we all know, the sport is undergoing an enormous change. We at Golden Boy Promotions have taken a major step forward to adapt to this change by signing this historic partnership with the leader of sports streaming DAZN. This is a direct and unprecedented partnership between two major global companies in the sport, Golden Boy Promotions and DAZN,” said Golden Boy President, Eric Gomez.

“As a Golden Boy fighter, Canelo became the undisputed pay-per-view king. But now Canelo is starting a new era in the sport by having his next 11 fights on this amazing platform. We are committed to making this sport as accessible and affordable as possible for all the fans. The most remarkable thing about this deal is that fans will not have to pay any extra to see the biggest name in boxing, Canelo Alvarez.”

DAZN charges its subscribers $9.99 per month for a range of combat sports content.

Alvarez's switch to DAZN is a direct consequence of HBO television's decision to pull the plug on 45 years of broadcasting boxing earlier this month.

Alvarez previously had a deal with HBO to broadcast his fights on a pay-per-view basis.

However Alvarez's baseline earnings could increase sharply over the course of the deal if DAZN reaches a series of specific subscription benchmarks during the next five years.

https://www.boxingscene.com/hearn-canelo-dazn-deal-end-ppv-boxing-united-states--132833

Hearn: Canelo/DAZN Deal Will End PPV Boxing In the United States
By Keith Idec

NEW YORK – Eddie Hearn believes the historic deal Canelo Alvarez, Golden Boy Promotions and DAZN have struck will signal the end of pay-per-view boxing in the United States.

The 28-year-old Alvarez’s 11-fight contract with the new streaming service reportedly could be worth as much as $365 million. It’ll also make the Mexican superstar’s fights available as part of a $9.99 monthly subscription to DAZN, as opposed to paying from $75 to $85 to watch Alvarez’s fights on pay-per-view.

Hearn discussed the deal, first reported by BoxingScene.com on Tuesday, before a press conference Wednesday afternoon at Madison Square Garden. The first fight of Alvarez’s DAZN deal will take place at The Garden, where he’ll challenge WBA world super middleweight champion Rocky Fielding (27-1, 15 KOs) on December 15.

“This is gonna shake up the world,” Hearn said. “This is such a great deal that has happened here, and not just for DAZN, but for the boxing landscape. I believe today, with this announcement, you will see the end of pay-per-view boxing in the U.S. over a period – not today. But when you’re talking about going from an $84.99 or a $99 pay-per-view, to a $9.99 or even a free fight, like in December, this is gonna change boxing. Not just Canelo, this is Anthony Joshua. Anthony Joshua against Deontay Wilder, I believe, will happen on DAZN as well.”

Hearn confirmed that there is no plan for DAZN to eventually move toward pay-per-view events for such stars as Alvarez (50-1-2, 34 KOs) and Joshua (22-0, 21 KOs), Great Britain’s biggest draw and the IBF/IBO/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion.

“The plan for DAZN is to be a subscription service,” Hearn said. “Ultimately, the first one against Fielding, which we’ll talk about in a minute, is free. There is no subscription. You can free subscribe to that fight, so again, that’s an early Christmas present for fight fans that, on HBO, you would’ve had to pay $84.99 for that Canelo pay-per-view fight.

“So their aim is to take boxing away from pay-per-view. Pay-per-view is a very important model in the UK, where we’re from. But it’s $25 for a major fight. Eight-five dollars, a hundred dollars is so much money, and I think fight fans will embrace this move and embrace DAZN.”

https://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-mayweather-return-right-way-fight-me--132814

Canelo: Mayweather Should Return The Right Way - Fight Me!

WBC and WBA unified middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez is more than willing to do a rematch with the now retired Floyd Mayweather.

Canelo's sole career defeat came at the hands of Mayweather on September 14 of 2013. The bout took place at a catch-weight of 152-pounds, with Mayweather dominating the contest over twelve rounds at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Mayweather retired from boxing back in August of 2017, after snapping a near two-year layoff to score a tenth round stoppage of UFC superstar Conor McGregor.

At the moment, Mayweather is discussing the possibility of a comeback - for a rematch with Manny Pacquiao, who Floyd defeated back in May of 2015. And Mayweather is also teasing his fans that he might entertain the idea of a cross-sports boxing match with UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov.

If Mayweather is serious about come back, Canelo says he should do the right thing and grant him a rematch.

"Look, that's something that I would love," Canelo said to Sports Illustrated. "If he wants to come back and is still motivated to come back, he should do it right. He should do it right and give me the opportunity to have that rematch and demonstrate who is better."

Canelo believes he was too inexperienced to beat Mayweather in 2013 - and would love to get the opportunity to do it again.

"In that first fight, experience beat me, as I was young," Canelo said. "And I don't have much more to say than his experience beat me and he is a great fighter. I'd love to have the opportunity to prove myself at this point in my career. I think it would be very different and if he is willing to come back, I would love to have that rematch. Show the people, who is truly the best."

Weight would certainly be an issue. Mayweather has never fought any higher than 154-pounds, and Canelo is heading up to 168-pounds to challenge WBA "regular" super middleweight world champion Rocky Fielding on December 15th at Madison Square Garden in New York.

https://awfulannouncing.com/showtim...g-in-2019-but-that-seems-pretty-unlikely.html

Boxing promoter Bob Arum expects Showtime to follow HBO and “be exiting from boxing” in 2019, but that seems pretty unlikely

Premium cable networks like HBO and Showtime have long showed boxing matches, but those days may be coming to an end. Last month, HBO announcedthat they planned to end their live boxing coverage after 45 years, with their final card airing Oct. 27. This week, famed boxing promoter Bob Arum said he expects Showtime to follow suit. However, there are good reasons to think Arum is wrong.

Let’s get to his comments first, though. In a Sirius XM interview with Randy Gordon and Gerry Cooney Monday, Arum (whose Top Rank company has an exclusive deal with ESPN) said he thinks HBO and Showtime are focusing more on competing with Netflix and less on showing sports. Here’s a transcription of that from Michael Woods at Bad Left Hook:

“Both HBO and Showtime are competing for viewers with Netflix,” said Arum, taking a bow for the Saturday effort by Terence Crawford on ESPN.

“So every dollar that they have has to go into what they’re really great at — providing entertainment. HBO certainly has done it. They have really, really good, good programming. And so does Showtime.”

“So I’m predicting also that within the next year Showtime will be exiting from boxing because, as great as they’ve been for boxing, they don’t belong. Does FOX belong in boxing? Of course they do. They’re a regular network that has a lot of sports. ESPN is perfect for boxing. That’s where it’s going. The world never stays the same. It always changes. Their time has now passed.”

This builds on comments Arum made in September, where he said “HBO doesn’t belong in boxing, Showtime doesn’t belong in boxing. They’re entertainment networks and I think they’re beginning to realize that.” However, as Woods notes, while Arum did correctly call HBO’s exit a couple of months before it happened, his Showtime prediction may be harder to cash in.

HBO was showing less fights and less big fights than before ahead of its eventual exit, but Showtime did a ton of live boxing this year (26 world title fights across 12 events) and has more lined up in 2019 (including a three-year partnership with Premier Boxing Champions). And they’ve seen some good results lately, including a 2.5 year high for Adrian Broner-Mikey Garcia in August 2017. In fact, Showtime president for sports and event programming Stephen Espinoza told Boxing Scene late last month he thinks his network will stick with boxing for years to come, and he even took a shot at Arum for his Showtime-bashing:

“As a general comment, I don’t think [Arum] understands our business as well as he thinks he does,” Espinoza said. “Boxing is an important and valuable part of Showtime’s business. Our subscribers respond positively to it and it definitely drives business for us. We’ve been in this sport for over 30 years and, arguably, the last few years have been the strongest period in that entire history. We’ve spent more on boxing this year than we have in the past several years. And next year, we’ll be doing even more. So the reality is regardless of whatever his perceptions are or his assumptions about the business are, we are committed to the sport of boxing. We’re not going anywhere. We’re as excited and positive about the future of the sport as we’ve ever been. It is an important part of our business.

“I think it’s great that more networks are waking up and realizing what a great sport boxing is, and that other networks and platforms are getting into a sport that we’ve been in for 30 years. It’s a positive thing for the sport. But from the Showtime perspective, we have been the industry leader in terms of the quality of the fights, in terms of the amount of fights and in terms of building the next generation of stars. And that’s not gonna change going forward. We intend to be the industry leader for a long time to come.”

There is an awful lot of competition for boxing events now, though, both from networks like Fox and streaming services like ESPN+ and DAZN. So even with HBO leaving, it isn’t a particularly easy environment to work in, especially as there aren’t a ton of stars who have really broke through in terms of mainstream media coverage. And it’s somewhat understandable why there’s some skepticism about how long Showtime will stick with the sport after HBO’s exit.

Still, it should definitely be remembered that Arum is a promoter who likes to say controversial things to get attention (see also Dana White, and the longrunning rivalry between the two), and that his company has a deal with one of Showtime’s competitors. His comments are notable, especially given his boldness about the timeline here, and it’s interesting to see him going out on a limb like this. But it’s also quite possible that he won’t be right, and that Showtime will show boxing long after 2019.

tenor.gif

https://www.boxingscene.com/arum-nobody-sees-al-haymon-talks-him-its-not-normal--132824

Arum: Nobody Sees Al Haymon or Talks To Him - It's Not Normal!

A few days ago, Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum - in an interview with BoxingScene.com - questioned the existence of powerful boxing manager Al Haymon.

Haymon, who manages/advises over a 100 boxers, is the founder of the Premier Boxing Champions banner.

There are many fights to be made between Arum and Haymon - but the veteran promoter is not convinced that Haymon is a real person.

Haymon stays away from the press, he's rarely photographed and he's usually missing from ringside.

His biggest client, five division world champion Floyd Mayweather, gave him the label of 'The Ghost' several years ago.

Arum is likely joking, or is he?

Arum and Haymon sat down together, back in 2015, to finalize the richest fight in the history of the sport - Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao.

Despite their face to face meeting three years ago, Arum does not view Haymon as a normal human being.

“Nobody sees him, nobody talks to him. It is not normal. When was the last time you sat and talked to him? Never. What kind of craziness is this? You can’t equate it to doing business with a normal person,” Arum told the LA Times.

There are two major fights that Arum would like to finalize - Terence Crawford vs. Errol Spence and Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Mikey Garcia.

Haymon handles Spence and Garcia.

Arum, who has an exclusive content deal with ESPN, is even willing to come together with Showtime or FOX (who have deals with Haymon) to have a joint pay-per-view event.

But Arum doubts that type or scenario would ever happen. In his opinion, Haymon has other plans in mind.

“That’s not where Haymon is at,” Arum said. “He’d rather overpay his fighters, keep them to himself, have them fight once a year. … It’s a peculiar way to run a business."

3383878-4vv0xkazeqz0exyuzy5cbskfb48%3D.gif

From what I been seeing lots actually 11 fights but regardless 33m a fight is a boss move.

Interesting how it works but with a billion dollar budget and spending lil over a third on Canelo be interesting how it works out for them. Unless it was 8b and a bill a year than that was a drop in the bucket for em.

Personally won't be buying any of that ish but will definitely be tuning in.

Beyond that question for my dysfunctional boxing brethren. How long does he stay at 168 or is this just to grab a belt than back to 160?

Back