Welcome To aBlackWeb

Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Added to Calendar: 05-18-24

Who Wins Tonight?

• Tank Davis

• Frank Martin

Results are only viewable after voting.
From what I been seeing lots actually 11 fights but regardless 33m a fight is a boss move.

Interesting how it works but with a billion dollar budget and spending lil over a third on Canelo be interesting how it works out for them. Unless it was 8b and a bill a year than that was a drop in the bucket for em.

Personally won't be buying any of that ish but will definitely be tuning in.

Beyond that question for my dysfunctional boxing brethren. How long does he stay at 168 or is this just to grab a belt than back to 160?

Its just a belt grab. He targeted the so called weakest belt holder at 168. Canelo not built like that to just go up in weight and challenge the best at said weight.

They can drop that money on Canelo cause besides Joshua. Hearn doesn't have anybody to my knowledge that he is paying over 2 mill per fight for. So if Canelo brings in the subscription buys like they think he will they going to make that back in spades.

I will say that its going to take a lot of fucking mexicans to make that money back plus a profit though. It won't be easy but its possible to work out.

ROFL, who just saw that headline that the Broner/Pacquiao fight is 90% done??

https://www.boxingscene.com/wbc-prez-overjoyed-by-canelo-dazn-deal-time-celebrate--132885

WBC Prez Overjoyed By Canelo-DAZN Deal: Time To Celebrate!

World Boxing Council President Mauricio Sulaiman is overjoyed by the news that Saul "Canelo" Alvarez signed a five year, 11 fight deal with streaming service DAZN.

The deal is worth a guaranteed $365 million - which Canelo's promoters are calling the richest contract in history for any athlete.

Canelo's handlers at Golden Boy Promotions, run by Oscar De La Hoya, brokered the deal with DAZN, an online streaming service that only launched in September. DAZN charges its subscribers $9.99 per month for a range of combat sports content.

Canelo's switch to DAZN is a direct consequence of HBO's decision to pull the plug on 45 years of broadcasting boxing earlier this month.

Canelo reviously had a deal with HBO to broadcast his fights on a pay-per-view basis. However Canelo's baseline earnings could increase sharply over the course of the deal if DAZN reaches a series of specific subscription benchmarks during the next five years.

Sulaiman has been a huge supporter of Canelo - especially after the two sides mended some broken fences after a two year fallout that spanned back to the summer of 2016.

Now with the WBC middleweight title around his waist, Sulauman is firmly in Canelo's corner and believes this deal should a call to celebrate for the boxing world.

"We`re living a new era in every sense. It`s a new distribution platform and the fact that a Mexican is having a major presence in front of the whole world must be celebrated," Sulaiman told The Record.

"It seems to me that we are in a digital age and have to understand it better, because this is the reality of things. We all live with our phone in hand, and that makes it important to have a digital channel. In the US, HBO has just withdrawn from boxing, but hopefully DAZN will keep showcasing and supporting the sport.

"We congratulate Canelo and boxing. It's something that in every way should be a source of great pride, because he's Mexican and a boxer. It's also a cause for celebration because this is historic."

WBC’s Cinnamon jock riding continues...

https://www.boxingscene.com/de-la-hoya-unloads-on-mayweather-we-hit-women--132882

De La Hoya Unloads on Mayweather: We Don't Hit Women!

Things are getting very personal, as heated words have been flying back and forth between five division world champion Floyd Mayweather and Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez.

And now Canelo's promoter, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya, has entered the fight.

Tempers began to flare up after Canelo criticized Mayweather in a recent interview with TMZ.

Mayweather has been discussing the idea of a comeback, to fight Khabib Nurmagomedov - after he was recently challenged by the UFC lightweight champion.

Khabib challenged Mayweather over the weekend, after coming face to face with Mayweather's company CEO, Leonard Ellerbe, at a boxing event in Russia.

In August 2017, UFC superstar Conor McGregor lasted 10 rounds, with Mayweather ultimately breaking him down and stopping him - to raise his perfect record to 50-0.

Mayweather retired after the McGregor fight, but now he's pondering the idea of a comeback against Khabib and then a rematch with Manny Pacquiao.

Canelo, who was dominated by Mayweather over twelve rounds in 2013, had voiced the opinion that Mayweather is hurting the sport by taking part in contests against UFC fighters like McGregor and Khabib.

If Mayweather wants a real return, Canelo is urging him to do the right thing - make the rematch.

"He wants to continue hurting boxing by making fights that don't make sense ... and not giving boxing the credibility it deserves," Canelo tells TMZ Sports.

"If he wants to return, I ask him to look my way to give a great fight to the fans. Let's do the second fight. It's very important. We have something pending there, so let's make the second fight."

Mayweather fired back at Canelo by calling him a "cheater" - which is a direct shot at the boxer testing positive for the banned substance clenbuterol earlier this year - and saw him get suspended for six months by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

And he also threw water at Canelo's 11 fight, $365 million deal with streaming service DAZN.

"It didn’t matter if Canelo ate his PED steak or not this night, this was by far the easiest fight of my career," Mayweather said on social media.

"Connor McQuitter was a way better fighter than Canelo's cheating ass and I beat the breaks off him too! It takes me 36 minutes or less to make $300 million plus. It literally takes me 1 night and 1 fight to make what you might make in 5 years and 11 fights! So really, who's still winning? You do the math!"

And then De LaHoya jumped in the mix - after Mayweather posted an old photo of De La Hoya wearing fishnet stockings and heels -- and saying, "I fought her and her name is Oscar 'Golden Girl' Dela Hoya."

Mayweather then implored his fans on social media to "leave the most disrespectful caption you can think of" about De La Hoya.

De La Hoya fired back, poking shots at Mayweather's history with domestic abuses charges

"Hey, [Canelo], someone is salty about your record breaking contract with DAZN. Good thing we will never resort to hitting women," De La Hoya said.

He then added hashtags -- "#DomesticAbuser #DomesticViolence #Salty #antidomesticviolence #FloydMayweather #SaltyFloyd #FloydSaltyMayweather #whyyoumad."

https://www.boxingscene.com/hearn-jacobs-fight-canelo-if-he-beats-derevyanchenko--132873

Hearn: Jacobs To Fight Canelo in May If He Beats Derevyanchenko
By Keith Idec

NEW YORK – The vacant IBF middleweight title won’t be the only thing at stake for Daniel Jacobs a week from Saturday night.

If Jacobs can defeat Sergiy Derevyanchenko in what should be a difficult 12-round, 160-pound title fight, promoter Eddie Hearn thinks there’s a “very, very, very good chance” Jacobs will earn a shot to challenge Canelo Alvarez on May 4. That’d also require the heavily favored Alvarez to defeat England’s Rocky Fielding – who, like Jacobs, is promoted by Hearn – on December 15 at Madison Square Garden and return to the middleweight division for his following fight.

Now that Alvarez has signed a five-year, 11-fight deal to have his fights streamed by DAZN, Hearn figures it’ll be easier to make an Alvarez-Jacobs bout.

“Obviously, we’re all in the same boat,” said Hearn, whose company, Matchroom Boxing, has 32 dates per year with DAZN. “We’re all on the same platform, so I think that there’s an excellent chance that if Danny Jacobs can win the world title next Saturday that he will go on to fight Canelo in May. … That’s the carrot for Danny Jacobs.”

Oscar De La Hoya, Alvarez’s promoter, and Alvarez ultimately will choose his opponent after he faces Fielding. An Alvarez-Jacobs bout makes sense because Hearn also is aligned with DAZN and it’s seemingly more appealing than an Alvarez-David Lemieux matchup.

Jacobs’ tough fight versus Derevyanchenko (12-0, 10 KOs) will mark the end of Jacobs’ multi-fight agreement to box exclusively on HBO, which will air their fight October 27 from The Theater at Madison Square Garden. The premium cable network announced last month that it’ll move away from broadcasting boxing, which could lead Jacobs (34-2, 29 KOs) to fight exclusively on DAZN.

Alvarez’s handlers reached out to Jacobs’ manager, Keith Connolly, when negotiations stalled in June for Alvarez’s rematch against Gennady Golovkin. Jacobs was willing to battle Alvarez on September 15, but Alvarez (50-1-2, 34 KOs) and Golovkin (38-1-1, 34 KOs) ultimately came to an agreement and Alvarez won a majority decision that night at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

“The fight was actually in negotiations,” Jacobs said late in August, following a press conference to announce his fight against Ukraine’s Derevyanchenko. “Obviously, I was preparing for just the idea of it once I got the phone call. It was exciting and it was something that I would’ve took on the fly. But I don’t know, they might’ve just been using me as a pawn. You know how De La Hoya could be.”

If Brooklyn’s Jacobs does get the opportunity to face Alvarez, he is sure their fight wouldn’t go to the scorecards.

“I think I stop Canelo,” Jacobs said. “I’ve always said that.”

https://www.boxingscene.com/hearn-canelo-fielding-probably-gets-dazn-1-million-subscribers--132855

Hearn: Canelo-Fielding Probably Gets DAZN 1 Million Subscribers
By Keith Idec

NEW YORK – Eddie Hearn expects Canelo Alvarez to make an immense impact immediately for DAZN.

The British promoter predicted Wednesday that Alvarez’s first fight on the new streaming service “probably” will account for “a million subscribers overnight.” DAZN doesn’t release its subscription figures, but its executive chairman, former ESPN president John Skipper, obviously is counting on the Mexican superstar to lure subscribers to the fledgling platform.

Skipper announced Wednesday during a press conference in The Theater at Madison Square Garden that DAZN has signed boxing’s most proven, active pay-per-view star to a five-year, 11-fight deal that reportedly could become worth $365 million. The WBA/WBC middleweight champion is heavily favored to defeat England’s Rocky Fielding in his DAZN debut, a 12-round fight for Fielding’s WBA world super middleweight title December 15 at Madison Square Garden.

Hearn, whose company promotes Fielding, envisions Alvarez’s star power producing plenty of subscriptions come December because his fight against Fielding can be streamed either for a $9.99 monthly subscription or for free if a viewer hasn’t already used DAZN’s free one-month trial. Nine of Alvarez’s past 10 fights have been pay-per-view events distributed by either HBO or Showtime.

“Ultimately, whatever the subscriber number is going into December, it will quadruple in one day for a Canelo fight,” Hearn said following the press conference Wednesday. “If you’ve got 1.1 million people who’ll spend $84.99 on a fight, how many would get it for free or for $9.99 a month?”

The 1.1 million people to whom Hearn referred represents the reported pay-per-view buy rate for Alvarez’s last fight – a majority-decision defeat of rival Gennady Golovkin on September 15 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. While it’ll be much cheaper to watch the Alvarez-Fielding fight, there’s not nearly as much interest in it as the Alvarez-Golovkin middleweight championship rematch.

Hearn remains more than optimistic about how much business Alvarez-Fielding will generate for DAZN, which provides 32 dates per year in the U.S. market for Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing.

“What does the Fielding-Alvarez fight do, 300,000 buys on HBO [Pay-Per-View]?,” Hearn said. “You’ve gotta think at least half-a-million are gonna watch it for free, probably a million. So you’re gonna add a million subscribers overnight. And then, when they do the next one in May, at $9.99 a month, you’re gonna get another chunk of subscribers. But you’re gonna have great retention because they’re not gonna leave.

“You know, by the way, it’s not just Canelo, it’s not just Anthony Joshua. It’s 32 Matchroom shows. You know, it’s now Golden Boy shows. It’s three weight classes in the World Boxing Super Series. It’s Bellator [MMA]. It’s Combate Americas [MMA] and a whole load of other new sports coming over the next couple months. So it’s like, these guys, they don’t mess around.”

11B6799E-D8B7-4B0A-9AC1-05A266F61057.gif

https://www.boxingscene.com/arum-crawford-spence-fight-made-3-hours--132870

Arum: Crawford-Spence Fight Could Be Made in 3 Hours!
By Ryan Burton

After last week's 12th round knockout of Jose Benavidez in the highest rated fight of the year, the clamor for a Terence Crawford-Errol Spence unification bout is bigger than it has ever been.

There are significant obstacles to making the fight with Spence's allegiance to Showtime and the PBC and Crawford's affiliation with ESPN and Top Rank being the biggest ones.

Another mega-fight that would have the same obstacles would be a Vasily Lomachenko-Mikey Garcia fight for undisputed at 135 pounds. If Lomachenko defeats Jose Pedraza on December 8th, he will hold both the WBA and WBO lightweight titles while Garcia is in possession of the WBC and IBF titles.

Arum says that he would like both fights to happen next year.

"As far as I am concerned do the best fights as soon as possible. Forget about marinating. The best fight at lightweight is Lomachenko and Garcia. If Lomachenko is successful against Pedraza do that fight right away," Arum stated.

"There is no reason to do any fights for Terence or for Spence unless they fight each other but again it takes two to tango. I really mean that. I am not playing games. They wanna make that fight, it will take probably 3 hours to do a Crawford-Spence fight."

Spence, who holds the IBF welterweight title, has expressed his displeasure on several occasions that the other welterweight champions won't face him. A Crawford-Spence clash would likely have to be a joint Showtime/ESPN pay-per-view venture between Premier Boxing Champions and Top Rank Inc. who recently signed Crawford to a multi-year extension.

9F2EDA9F-2433-4643-BB37-AFCF492D079B.gif

https://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-mayweather-stop-hurting-boxing-fight-me--132854

Canelo To Mayweather: Stop Hurting Boxing - Fight Me!

Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez is not a big fan of the potential fight that Floyd Mayweather is attempting to pitch.

Mayweather has been discussing the idea of a comeback, to fight Khabib Nurmagomedov - after he was recently challenged by the UFC lightweight champion.

"We're fighting," Mayweather told TMZ Sports. "I'm my own boss. I can't say what's going on on Khabib's end, but on my end we can make it happen."

Khabib challenged Mayweather over the weekend, after coming face to face with Mayweather's company CEO, Leonard Ellerbe, at a boxing event in Russia.

Khabib successfully defended his title earlier this month at UFC 229 with a submission win over Conor McGregor, who stepped out of the octagon and into the boxing ring last August to take on Mayweather.

McGregor lasted 10 rounds, with Mayweather ultimately breaking him down and stopping him - to raise his perfect record to 50-0.

Mayweather retired after the McGregor fight, but now he's pondering the idea of a comeback against Khabib and then a rematch with Manny Pacquiao.

When asked if the potential bout with Khabib would be a boxing or mixed martial arts matchup, Mayweather was candid with his response.

"Who's the 'A-side?' He called me out, so you have to come to my world," Mayweather said. "I seen in an interview, he said when he hit Conor McGregor, he knocked Conor McGregor down. He said I didn't knock him down. OK, Khabib. You got my leftovers. Whoop-dee-do."

Canelo, who was dominated by Mayweather over twelve rounds in 2013, has been eager to get the opportunity for revenge.

In the opinion of Canelo, Mayweather taking part in contests against UFC fighters like McGregor and Khabib are only hurting the sport.

If Mayweather wants a real return, Canelo is urging him to do the right thing - make the rematch.

"He wants to continue hurting boxing by making fights that don't make sense ... and not giving boxing the credibility it deserves," Canelo tells TMZ Sports.

"If he wants to return, I ask him to look my way to give a great fight to the fans. Let's do the second fight. It's very important. We have something pending there, so let's make the second fight."

https://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-im-not-desperate-mayweather-rematch-good-fans--132902

Canelo: I'm Not Desperate, Mayweather Rematch is Good For Fans

WBA, WBC middleweight world champion Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez makes it clear that he's not desperate for a rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr.

He just believes that a contest between them would be welcomed by boxing fans.

On Wednesday, Canelo (50-1-2) announced a record-breaking 11-fight deal with DAZN on Wednesday, which is worth a minimum of $365 million and is the richest contract in sporting history, and he has given thought to who he might face after his December date with Rocky Fielding, the WBA "regular" super middleweight champion.

Mayweather is one potential opponent and, although Floyd has talked up a clash with UFC star Khabib Nurmagomedov, Canelo would encourage the undefeated star to consider a repeat of their 2013 Las Vegas bout.

Mayweather dominated Canelo in their 2013 encounter, and retired from the sport in August 2017 - after winning stopping UFC superstar Conor McGregor in ten rounds.

"Yeah, [Mayweather] should return, he should return," Canelo told Omnisport. "And if he wants one more fight, we're here to give him a real fight, a good fight.

"[It would be] for the fans. I know that it would be good to make this fight so that they can enjoy some great sport. And so he doesn't hurt the sport by making the fights that he wants to make. He should come back to me.

"There's no desperation on my side. I'm good. I'm making my big fights, doing my big fights, I've done big fights. I just think it would be something good for the fans."

A third bout with Gennady Golovkin is another possibility for Canelo. After an initial twelve round split draw in September 2017, Canelo won a very close twelve round majority decision last month at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

He said of Golovkin: "If the people want to see a third fight then we'll see about that. I always like giving the fans what they want to see, so if they want that third fight then we'll see about that."

Mayweather fighting gets everybody on the PBC card ppv money.
. Everybody eats

One man getting at least a 100Mill guarantee doesn't leave a lot of money for everybody else.

Now it would be smart of them to take the short money to get the exposure of being on a Floyd ppv card but they won't be getting paid a lot of money for being on that card.

One man getting at least a 100Mill guarantee doesn't leave a lot of money for everybody else.

Now it would be smart of them to take the short money to get the exposure of being on a Floyd ppv card but they won't be getting paid a lot of money for being on that card.
sometimes you have ta take short money ta get to big money

Back