FEATURED Fury vs Usyk: Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Added to Calendar: 05-18-24

test
https://www.boxingscene.com/mares-willing-face-russell-warrington-frampton-valdez--129424

Mares Willing To Face Russell, Warrington, Frampton, Valdez
By Miguel Rivera

The recent loss to Leo Santa Cruz in a vibrant battle at the Staples Center in Los Angeles has not left former world champion Abner Mares out of the mix.

Mares intends to prove that he's still part of the elite group of boxers at 126-pounds when he returns in the final quarter of the year.

Mares mentioned names such as Carl Frampton, Gary Russell, Oscar Valdez, Josh Warrington and even Joseph Diaz, as well as Santa Cruz, as possibilities for the future.

Mares is already planning to resume his physical activities, because he does not want to lose his rhythm.

"Obviously you feel sad because it was not the result we wanted, but they are fights where you do not really lose much. Surprisingly I've won over a lot of fans and we made it clear that we belong to this level, not because of the result. I'm not out of the elite, and I'm going to show that in my next fight," said to ESPN Deportes.

"I'm in a division where nobody turns away from anyone and that's good, because recently Golden Boy worked with Al Haymon, and so we can face Joseph Diaz, why not think about a fight with Oscar Valdez, Gary Russell, Carl Frampton, Josh Warrington, the third with Leo... there are possibilities and as of October I am ready for whatever," Mares said.

Abner, who remained with a record of 31-3-1 and 15 knockouts after losing again with Santa Cruz, considered that he could get a little more in the fight on the part of the judges.

"I could talk a whole day about the points in the fight, about the judges, the fact that they gave the unanimous victory when it was a very close fight. In the end I prefer that the people won and that I still receive very positive comments about my performance," said Mares.

"We took a break, deserved I think, but it's time to return to the gym with some light work so I don't lose my good form."

https://www.boxingscene.com/mikey-garcia-explains-his-confidence-against-lomachenko--129414

Mikey Garcia Explains His Confidence Against Lomachenko
By Radio Rahim

WBC lightweight champion Mikey Garcia (38-0, 30 KOs) is hoping to get his hands on Vasiliy Lomachenko (11-1, 9 KOs), who holds the WBA lightweight title, at some point in 2019.

Next month, on July 28, Garcia will collide with IBF lightweight champion Robert Easter in a highly anticipated unification.

After winning world titles in two other weight classes, Lomachenko hit the lightweight division in May, and recovered from his first career knockdown to stop Jorge Linares for the WBA belt at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Unlike many others, Garcia is not that impressed with Lomachenko's recent streak of wins.

"Aside from Linares, I can't credit him for fighting guys like [Guillermo] Rigondeaux, who is a 122-pounder. I can't credit him for beating guys like [Jason] Sosa, [Miguel] Marriaga. I can't give him that credit. I see the talent in his boxing, but I can't give him the credit for beating those kind of guys," Garcia told BoxingScene.com.

"But beating Linares, at lightweight, and making the adjustments..... because I thought it was a good fight early on. Linares was doing well. And then Lomachenko comes up from being knocked down, and turns it around, and stop Linares... you have to give the man credit. That's the only other fight that excites me [at 135]... Lomachennko and Garcia next year is the only other fight that makes sense at lightweight for me."

Garcia views Lomachenko as a talented fighter, but he does not believe the two-time Olympic gold medal winner will be as dominant at a higher weight like 135-pounds.

"I just didn't see him dominate in the way that he does in lower divisions. He fought a great champion in Jorge. He fought an experienced fighter. I have better boxing abilities than Jorge, I have better power than Jorge, and that's why I think that I would do very well against Lomachenko," Garcia said.

https://www.boxingscene.com/jacobs-vs-derevyanchenko-ibf-orders-purse-bid-july-5--129434

Jacobs vs. Derevyanchenko: IBF Orders Purse Bid For July 5
By Keith Idec

The IBF ordered a purse bid Monday for the Sergiy Derevyanchenko-Daniel Jacobs fight for its vacant middleweight title.

Lou DiBella, Derevyanchenko’s promoter, asked the IBF to call for the purse bid because he hasn’t made progress on a deal with Eddie Hearn, Jacobs’ promoter. If DiBella and Hearn can come to an agreement before the purse bid, scheduled for July 5 at the IBF’s headquarters in Springfield, New Jersey, it’ll be canceled.

The IBF ordered a bout between Derevyanchenko (12-0, 10 KOs), who’s ranked No. 1 by the IBF, and the third-rated Jacobs (34-2, 29 KOs) on June 11.

Brooklyn’s Jacobs and Ukraine’s Derevyanchenko are trained by the same man, Andre Rozier. Keith Connolly, who manages Derevyanchenko and Jacobs, told BoxingScene.com recently that they’re still willing to fight for the IBF’s 160-pound title

Jacobs and Derevyanchenko spar against one another often.

They’ll fight for the title the IBF surprisingly stripped from Gennady Golovkin on June 6. The IBF stripped Golovkin of its middleweight title for failing to adhere to terms to an exception the IBF granted Golovkin to fight Vanes Martirosyan on May 5 in Carson, California.

Derevyanchenko was the mandatory challenger for Golovkin’s IBF 160-pound championship. Golovkin requested another exception to delay that bout during an IBF hearing last month, but the IBF took Golovkin’s title from him for failing to adhere to the stipulations of the exception it granted him to fight Martirosyan.

Kazakhstan’s Golovkin fought Martirosyan, who lost by second-round knockout, on short notice because Canelo Alvarez’s six-month suspension for failing two performance-enhancing drug tests forced him to withdraw April 3 from his rematch against Golovkin. That pay-per-view fight had been scheduled for May 5 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

According to the IBF’s agreement with Golovkin, Tom Loeffler, Golovkin’s promoter, was supposed to begin negotiations with DiBella on May 7. They were supposed to schedule a Golovkin-Derevyanchenko bout within 90 days of May 5, by August 3.

https://www.boxingscene.com/wilder-erupts-on-joshua-i-smell-pssy-you-coward-ass-btch--129467

Wilder Erupts on Joshua: I Smell P*ssy, You Coward Ass B*tch!

As BoxingScene.com reported earlier today, unified world champion Anthony Joshua has been told by the World Boxing Association (WBA) to agree terms for a mandatory title defence against Russia's Alexander Povetkin with "immediate effect" or risk losing his WBA title.

Joshua, the IBF, IBO, WBA and WBO world heavyweight champion, has been in negotiations for a unification fight against WBC champion Deontay Wilder but the WBA's decision is likely to delay a potential bout between the two heavy hitters.

"Today the WBA requested an answer from Anthony Joshua's team regarding his fight with the mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin," WBA president Gilberto Mendoza was quoted as saying by Sky Spors. "The WBA have allowed over a month extension to negotiations with Povetkin and also ongoing discussions with Deontay Wilder."

"It appears the Wilder team have not returned the contract for the fight and therefore we are requesting a date for the Joshua versus Povetkin fight with immediate effect."

The 28-year-old's promoter, Eddie Hearn, said the team were frustrated that contract talks with Wilder's camp were taking so long, and that Joshua would now turn his attention to fighting Povetkin.

"I think they have just said 'Enough is enough'," Hearn told Sky Sports. "'We need to know what you're doing, you're mandated to fight Alexander Povetkin' -- and I think Povetkin's people are getting extremely restless as well.

"They have been waiting and, to be fair to them, they have been patient, but Mendoza has clearly decided enough is enough and we've got to move."

But Wilder erupted at the news, lashing out at both Joshua and Hearn - claiming that neither was serious about the fight.

"I knew I smelt p*ssy but damn, I didn’t know the odor was that strong you coward ass b*tch. Had the world waiting for 3 months, playing games, just for this moment. You’re not a true champion, you’re just a weak minded coward that’s holding hard metal," Wilder stated.

"All they had to do is say they were scared to fight. Period. But instead they made themselves look like what they are, not stand up guys. I'm so happy it's over now. I've done my part, the world seen that, so stay in England."

https://www.boxingscene.com/timothy-bradley-inks-multi-year-contract-extension-with-espn--129483

Timothy Bradley Inks Multi-Year Contract Extension With ESPN

Timothy “Desert Storm” Bradley Jr., the former two-division world titleholder and one of the best pound per pound boxers, has agreed to a new multiyear contract extension with ESPN, it was announced today.

Under the agreement, Bradley will continue to serve as boxing analyst for Top Rank on ESPN, alongside Joe Tessitore and Mark Kriegel.

“Tim’s expertise as a former champion, combined with his passion for the sport, makes him an incredible analyst for Top Rank on ESPN,” said Mark Gross, ESPN senior vice president, production and remote events. “He brings a wealth of knowledge and passion to his analysis and we look forward to his continued

“Bob Arum, Todd DuBoef and Top Rank were instrumental in helping make my career a legacy and have now joined forces with ESPN to create the best boxing platform available,” said Bradley. “It is an honor and a blessing to be part of this platform and to sit alongside Tessitore and Kriegel and be part of the rebirth of boxing on national television. Thank you to Top Rank and ESPN for giving me a chance to be here. I promise to deliver the fans the best insight possible for many years to come.”

Bradley held five world championships in two weight classes. He retired in 2017, finishing his career with a record of 33-2-1, with 13 of his victories by way of knockouts. He won his first world title fight, light welterweight, in 2008 when he upset champion Junior Witter in England.

In 2009, he fought Kendall Holt to unify his WBC and Holt’s WBO titles, winning the fight by unanimous decision and becoming the new WBO champion. In 2011, Bradley had his most notable win up until that point of his career, when he defended his WBO junior welterweight title in a unification fight against then undefeated Jr. welterweight champion Devon Alexander.

In 2012, he defended his WBO junior welterweight title against former lightweight Joel Casamayor and later moved up to welterweight to claim Manny Pacquiao’s welterweight belt, defending the title in a fight with Ruslan Provodnikov in 2013. Seven months later, he defeated junior lightweight and WBO junior welterweight champion Juan Manuel Márquez by split decision. Bradley is particularly known for his trilogy of fights against the then unstoppable Manny Pacquiao, whom he fought in 2012, defeating him in their first of three fights. They faced off again in 2014 and 2016, with Bradley losing the next two bouts by decision.

From Palm Springs, Calif., Bradley began training as a professional boxer in his late teens. In 2004, at the age of 21, Bradley fought Francisco Martinez in his first professional fight, which he won in the second round by knockout.

https://www.boxingscene.com/joshua-wilder-happen-on-april-13-wembley-says-hearn--129491

Joshua-Wilder Can Happen On April 13 At Wembley, Says Hearn
By Elliot Foster

Eddie Hearn has confirmed that Anthony Joshua will fight Alexander Povetkin next.

The Matchroom Boxing head honcho revealed the WBA Super world champion, who also holds the WBO, IBF and IBO titles, is set to come up against the 38-year-old Russian in his next fight.

Hearn, Joshua and the wider British boxing public had hoped for a super-fight with WBC world champion Deontay Wilder for the undisputed crown later this year.

And though a deal has been done to get the mandatory challenger out of the way sooner rather than later, with Boxing Scene understanding that the fight will take place at Wembley Stadium in London on September 22, Hearn has yet to pour water over a fight with the Alabaman.

He has told media that there is an offer that has been sent to Wilder for a fight between the pair for April 13, 2019 at Wembley Stadium.

Hearn even went as far as to say that he would offer ‘The Bronze Bomber’ a two-fight deal worth $20million that would see him allowed to make a defence of his WBC belt against a mutually agreed opponent or Dominic Breazeale, with the end goal of facing former Olympic champion Joshua in the first half of next year.

Wilder is thought to have a deal with Breazeale for a fight later this year and Hearn is ready to offer him a $5million purse for that fight – or against a mutually agreed opponent, as mentioned above – with a $15million purse guarantee for the Joshua fight.

There is a rematch clause in the Joshua-Wilder deal that is currently on the table and Wilder and his team are reportedly unhappy. The rematch would take place in the United States but would only be enforceable should Wilder win the first fight between the heavyweights.

Hearn has yet to confirm the date and venue for the fight between Joshua and Povetkin, which will be next, but has gone as far as to say that the deal has been done for the UK.

Further details will be revealed in due course.

Hearn is officially in Bob Arum category of promoters.. Nothing he says should be believed...

https://www.boxingscene.com/wilder-manager-we-bent-over-backwards-make-joshua-fight--129490

Wilder Manager: We Bent Over Backwards To Make Joshua Fight!

Jay Deas, co-manager and trainer of WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder, makes it clear that his side of the fence did everything possible to make a unification with IBF, IBO, WBA world champion Anthony Joshua.

The two sides had been negotiating for several months, but their talks fell apart after the WBA gave Joshua only 24 hours to reach a deal with mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin.

BoxingScene.com reported on Tuesday that Joshua vs. Povetkin may land on September 22.

Joshua's handlers first offered a guaranteed deal of $50 million to make the fight happen.

Eddie Hearn, who promotes Joshua, submitted a counter-offer, because his boxer was determined to fight in the UK.

Wilder then agreed to take the fight in the UK - and a contract was issued.

There are conflicting claims over what transpired next.

Hearn is claiming that Wilder and his handlers were taking too long to sign, while Wilder's management claim there were crucial details missing from the contract and Hearn was being responsive to provide the lacking details.

"There is no question that Deontay bent over backwards, every way you can bend over, to make the fight," Deas said to Daily Mail.

"They offered us a much, much lower fee — and a flat fee not a percentage — and wanted the fight in England not America, and delayed in answering our questions – everything you can do not to fight, seemed like it was done. Whereas we offered the biggest purse in heavyweight boxing history as a guarantee, plus a percentage, and they didn't take it.'

"My fear is that it becomes the Lennox Lewis-Riddick Bowe of its day and it's a fight that everyone wants but never happens. That's why we were doing everything we could to make the fight happen. That's why Deontay took well below market value because he wants to be the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world."

https://www.boxingscene.com/hearn-joshua-wants-wilder-question-integrity-desire--129498

Hearn: Joshua Wants Wilder; Don't Question Integrity, Desire!
By Keith Idec

Eddie Hearn has heard and read from plenty of people over the past two days that neither he nor Anthony Joshua wanted Joshua to fight Deontay Wilder next.

Hearn contends that it’s Joshua, not him, that ultimately determines his opponents.

Joshua’s promoter also assured skeptics during a wide-ranging interview with IFL TV that the unbeaten British superstar indeed wanted to fight Wilder before the WBA ordered Hearn on Tuesday to finalize a deal for Joshua’s mandatory heavyweight title defense against Alexander Povetkin within 24 hours.

Joshua (21-0, 20 KOs) likely will face Russia’s Povetkin (34-1, 24 KOs) on September 22. According to Hearn, delaying the heavyweight showdown fight fans want most is more the fault of Deontay Wilder’s handlers than him and/or Joshua.

“Do not question the integrity or the desire of Anthony Joshua,” Hearn told IFL TV for a video posted Wednesday to its YouTube page. “Trust me on that. And I’ll tell you something now – if this geezer, Deontay Wilder, signs this contract, he will get absolutely dispatched by Anthony Joshua. Believe me on that. So we will see. We will see.”

The polarizing promoter stressed, too, that he isn’t keeping Joshua away from the dangerous Wilder, who owns the WBC title. The prevailing feeling within the boxing industry and among fans is that since Joshua can earn eight figures for safer fights that he’ll take at least or two more of those types of bouts before agreeing to fight the hard-hitting Wilder (40-0, 39 KOs).

Hearn countered by noting that Joshua has faced a higher level of opposition than Wilder and that Povetkin won’t be an easy opponent for Joshua.

“All I ask the fans to do is know one thing – I’m not the boss,” Hearn said. “All right? I saw Tyson Fury’s stuff today [on Instagram]. ‘Oh, Eddie Hearn don’t want him to fight [Wilder]. Mate, it doesn’t matter who I want him to fight. He wants to fight everybody. He decides everybody he fights. So all these other people, like Fury, ‘Oh, send me the contract. I’ll fight you next.’ Come on, mate. Seen your last fight. Seen the next guy you’re fighting. Understand this – after 22 fights, Anthony Joshua would’ve boxed names that include Dillian Whyte, say Dominic Breazeale because at the time it was his 17th fight, Wladimir Klitschko, Carlos Takam, Joseph Parker and Alexander Povetkin in his 22 fights.

“Wilder’s had what, 41 fights? And he’s fought one real, live opponent [Luis Ortiz]. And he’s pretty much out of the game because he had high blood pressure and he was 40 or whatever it is. So I think in Wilder’s 23rd fight he boxed Jason Gavern on the undercard of Kell Brook against Shawn Porter, I think.”

Wilder was 31-0 when he stopped Gavern in August 2014. Joshua was 10-0 when he knocked out Gavern in April 2015.

00df40ecdc2bc740b0c4098337f96344.gif

Reactions: illed_Out and Duwop
espinoza used to be on a boxing board with me back in the early 2000's

he's ready for the shits......

dude used to school us on so much boxing politics....like i don't think hearns wants to get in a shit talking contest with homie online....

file_172279_1_mitchelldelahoyahopkins630.jpg

Saw this dude Seth Mitchell downtown he now is a Secret Service officer. Cool approachable dude. I asked him WTF does Sam Watson do. He said Sam Watson is one of Haymon's "signatures" making sure things go as smooth as possible for camps, fight night, etc. Kind of a face for the camera because Haymon stays out of the lime light. Also said he scouts talent. Like he might see a young fighter amateur or pro and like what he sees. So Watson will go back to Haymon and tell him you might want to sign this guy.

Saw this dude Seth Mitchell downtown he now is a Secret Service officer. Cool approachable dude. I asked him WTF does Sam Watson do. He said Sam Watson is one of Haymon's "signatures" making sure things go as smooth as possible for camps, fight night, etc. Kind of a face for the camera because Haymon stays out of the lime light. Also said he scouts talent. Like he might see a young fighter amateur or pro and like what he sees. So Watson will go back to Haymon and tell him you might want to sign this guy.

Do you mean Consiglieres...