Welcome To aBlackWeb

Movie Night (Official Movie Discussion Thread)

Fly Me to the Moon

Moving but Meandering

PRAISE: This latest race to space story about Sparks flying between a marketing executive and a NASA official as he makes preparations for the Apollo 11 moon landing is charming and funny. Fortunately it's two leads Scarlett Johansson as Kelly Jones and Channing Tatum as Cole Davis have just enough chemistry for me to not only root for them romantically but hopefully to accomplish the goals set before them.
They butt heads over and over again as Jones wants to sell America and several politicians on still providing funding for NASA and it's to the Moon mission while Cole wants to insure that everything goes right as he is very protective of the astronauts and the space program.Part of the movie plays with the conspiracy theory that the moon landing happened on a soundstage and actually provided a couple of suspenseful moments. There are some great turns from Ray Romano, Woody Harrelson, Jim Rash and Anna Garcia. Also there are several moving tributes to the 1967 Apollo 1 tragedy in which three astronauts – Gus Grissom, Ed White, and Roger Chaffee – were killed in a fire that consumed the command module during a launch rehearsal.
I think the movie has the right amounts of humor and heart.

PROBLEMS: There are some predictable moments when it comes to what is going to disrupt the bond that is growing between the two leads characters. I thought that some of the dialogue and situations were kind of corny. The final act should have had better pacing .

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Divorce in the Black

Deteriorating Divorce

PRAISE: Tyler Perry's latest movie opens with campy and outrageous acts by several characters in this story about Ava ( Meagan Good) and Dallas's ( Cory Hardrict) marriage coming to a heated and volatile end. There's nothing wrong with beginning a movie like this because it got me involved and it was over the top entertaining. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the cast who give it there all including Joseph Lee Anderson, Shannon Wallace, Taylor Polidore, Richard Lawson and Debbi Morgan. When the movie goes through the basics I've seen in dozens of films like this it is the character of Dallas going into full Manic mode is when it comes alive again and at least the movie provides unintentional laughs through his sinister acts and what's done visually.

PROBLEMS: The middle of the film is beyond dull and predictable . Perry wants to show Ava's strength and he provides flashbacks of her but not the flashbacks I needed because I really wondered how she ended up with Dallas and why she was so supportive of him. I have to assume she saw him as a wounded bird or something because she makes it clear several times there's basically nothing else present in the marriage but then again maybe she was just getting salty revenge by doling out several put downs.
Perry is once again to on the nose with a character driving up in white truck instead of a white horse. I was waiting for the caption SAVIOR to pop up on the screen. I'm actually shocked Perry didn't really go full on crazy with some characters because at least it would have provided some much needed energy.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 5

Divorce in the Black

Deteriorating Divorce

PRAISE: Tyler Perry's latest movie opens with campy and outrageous acts by several characters in this story about Ava ( Meagan Good) and Dallas's ( Cory Hardrict) marriage coming to a heated and volatile end. There's nothing wrong with beginning a movie like this because it got me involved and it was over the top entertaining. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the cast who give it there all including Joseph Lee Anderson, Shannon Wallace, Taylor Polidore, Richard Lawson and Debbi Morgan. When the movie goes through the basics I've seen in dozens of films like this it is the character of Dallas going into full Manic mode is when it comes alive again and at least the movie provides unintentional laughs through his sinister acts and what's done visually.

PROBLEMS: The middle of the film is beyond dull and predictable . Perry wants to show Ava's strength and he provides flashbacks of her but not the flashbacks I needed because I really wondered how she ended up with Dallas and why she was so supportive of him. I have to assume she saw him as a wounded bird or something because she makes it clear several times there's basically nothing else present in the marriage but then again maybe she was just getting salty revenge by doling out several put downs.
Perry is once again to on the nose with a character driving up in white truck instead of a white horse. I was waiting for the caption SAVIOR to pop up on the screen. I'm actually shocked Perry didn't really go full on crazy with some characters because at least it would have provided some much needed energy.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 5

:hahaha:

Twisters

Windy & Woeful

PRAISE: I still remember attempting to see the original 1996 Twister on its opening weekend and that it was sold out in a couple of theaters. Not sure if this sequel will have the same draw but it has a few things going for it as we are introduced to Daisy Edgar-Jones’ as Kate,a tornado chasing scientist from Oklahoma,and Tyler (another charm filled performance from Glen Powell)and his team of famous Youtube posting of tornado chases,but hey they have hearts of gold. Kate is already off balance due to a traumatic tango with a twister and this plays out well in a few scenes. Definitely some good chemistry between the characters as they try to one up each other before they partner up.
The CGI,Sound and action sequences are on point and I'm glad I watched it in IMAX.

PROBLEMS: Aside from the two main characters I didn't really care about the dozen or so other characters who just get hyped over Twister chasing and yell out things about when and where the tornadoes will set themselves up. I never got to really know any of them. There are long moments when not much happens. It's definitely predictable in some spot and I knew exactly who were going to be taking out by several twisters. I kept waiting for a connection between the films and I actually laughed at the way a scene was filmed when I thought a big reveal was going to happen. I think it will be funny if in 10 years someone else makes a twister movie and the characters yell We are going to stop these things !!

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6½

Lumina

LAME !!

Before watching this dumpster fire I read an article about it and someone said it's right up there with one of the worst movies ever Birdemic. Well this I had to see ,how could it be? The person was right because the only difference is that this flick has a slightly bigger budget.
I was introduced to several obnoxious characters including Alex (Rupert Lazarus) Tatiana (Eleanor Williams) Delilah (Andrea Tivador) and Patricia (Sidney Nicole Rogers) who is at least beautiful and busty but vapes to much but boy can she drop the tears ,with snot hangs and cry laugh on cue.
I was trying to figure out the dynamics between Alex,Tatiana and Delilah because Alex does sonic screams for both of them as they are drawn into some type of alien invasion drama and he comes on to one of the ladies and then hes off to fool around with the other. Eric Roberts shows up looking like Darkman but without the burns and bandages.Oh can't forget George (Ken Lawson) he is supposed to provide comic relief but doesn't but i got on board with him lusting over Patricia.Fight sequences are horribly choreographed and the CGI looks like someone who got kicked out off assisting making the Resident Evil movies made it. Tons of unintentional laughs especially as the climax,final shot and fake Michael Jackson sounding song plays at the end.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 2½

I liked the first Guardians Of The Galaxy but didn't like the second movie.

I wasn't familiar with Dr Strange but it was cool for an origin movie.

I'm not a fan of the second and third Thor movies but Loki a cool character.

I spent a decade shitting on this Marvel universe but I've enjoyed most of the movies so far. Even those Ant Man movies weren't bad. I noticed they only did one Hulk movie while everyone one else got multiple movies.

I'm up to Infinity War, I'll get to it Saturday

Deadpool & Wolverine

Madcap Marvel

NO SPOILERS SPOILER FREE

PRAISE: Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman return to the roles they were born to play in this movie about the the Time Variance Authority (TVA) enlisting Deadpool to save the multiverse but he can't do it without Wolverine. I began to laugh during the movies first ten minutes and immediately knew I was going to have a good time. The movie is not only a tribute to everything Deadpool and Wolverine but also to Reynolds and Jackman. When I watched the first Spiderverse movie I said even if people are casual fans of Spider-Man they will find something to love about it the same can be said of this movie and it's two main characters. There were definitely situations and team ups I thought I would never see in a Marvel movie. It was fun watching characters be able to completely let loose in fight scenes on an R rated level. The film even manages to squeeze in some things about the current climate of world affairs. The jokes and nods to different genres of films and pop culture are almost as fast and fun as the action sequences. There is big time fan service but I really felt like it was earned,and i think the movie really didn't go overboard with it. The fourth wall was broken, smashed to bits until it was splinters of glass and I liked it.
The dramatic moments hit just the way they were supposed to I don't think they felt forced at all. I thought the villain
Emma Corrin’s Cassandra was just OK. So on the edge of being more memorable.

PROBLEMS: There are some moments that I felt were just to repetitive. I thought some lines of dialogue were kind of corny along with very weak delivery from a couple of actors. I thought more was going to be done with a couple of characters but they were just wallpaper.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

@AP2.5 @Inori they really dropped the ball with The Hulk in this universe. Dude been getting beat up and now in this movie they got him acting like a punk.
Hmmm

I disagree cause they need to show how much of a threat Thanos was.

Up until this point, everything you saw displayed how strong hulk was but he ran across Thanos to show the audience just how bout it he is

Hmmm

I disagree cause they need to show how much of a threat Thanos was.

Up until this point, everything you saw displayed how strong hulk was but he ran across Thanos to show the audience just how bout it he is
Don't get me started at what I'm watching from him in Endgame.

Back