Welcome To aBlackWeb

Movie Night (Official Movie Discussion Thread)

Are the next set of movies any good?
That's been the biggest divide on this site tbh

They definitely aren't the infinity war phase level in terms of quality. I do feel like the ball was dropped as a whole and maybe they were too ambitious with a few projects but I also didn't think they just flat out sucked

Watching them from the pov of connective tissue will help with your expectations knowing that other stories will be told based on events from these movies but I personally have no desire to watch most of them again maybe outside of spider Man and black panther

I did like most of the TV offerings though. I enjoyed she hulk but a few cats here didn't.

Basically it's hit or miss imo and mileage will vary

*shrugs* Well since you brought it up............

I spent that $20 card, but I can get another one. Whoever up this, we can negotiate prices$$.

summoning-png.437766
This the specific movie you're looking for?

Idk what it is but the last few years, my favorite movies have been nearly entire Asian casts lol

2022 - Everything Everywhere All At Once
2023 - Past Lives
2024 - Didi

The Instigators

Even in every heist film in which the thieves are sharp and seem to have a fool proof plan something or everything goes wrong. In this movie the thieves are basically new to heisting and have no solid plan. Theres retired Marine Rory (Matt Damon) and an alcoholic Cobby (Casey Affleck) who have great banter throughout the movie and of course there are hot heads and threatening organizers along for the ride.Apple TV spared no expense gathering the talent for this movie which I found impressive. The movie has one of the most exciting car chases I have ever seen.By the time the movie gets to its last 30 minutes it starts to run out of steam. Something that was introduced at the beginning of the film makes certain parts of the aforementioned very predictable. There was a cute moment at the end of the film that I liked and I know they were going for a hey that's life in the big city finish but I thought the ending was one of the most unsatisfying I have ever watched in a movie.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6½

Alien Romulus

Franchise Tribute

PRAISE: Director Fede Álvarez and his Co writer Rodo Sayagues definitely have love and then some for the Alien films and that love makes most of Alien Romulus work for the most part. Introducing characters that just want the simple pleasures in life and freedom to go with it I immediately cared about them. The standouts are Rain Carradine (Cailee Spaeny who reminds me of Natalie Portman) and Andy ( a truly excellent David Jonsson). The SFX are on point for the most part. A haunting and cold feel is presented and took hold of me as scenes slowly but surely kept the tension building as the crew begins to discover they are in more trouble than they think. The call backs to previous films worked about 80 % of the time. One really stood out and I welcomed the haunting and cold presence of it. Intentions and loyalty are played with and that really made a scene of true anguish work.The practical effects definitely worked in several horrifying scenes that were linked to some standout kills definitely not for the faint of heart along with a few jump scares. I thought the sound design was great,i actually felt every footstep,crash and rumble of an explosion.

PROBLEMS: Because I'm such a huge fan of The Alien movies it kind of killed the suspense for me in several scenes. I knew exactly what characters were looking at before the camera turns to it,and the fate of some characters way before they discovered it for themselves. I said before that 80 percent of the call backs worked but the delivery of a certain line of dialogue came off cheesy. One call back was horrifying to look at but eventually just lead to unintentional laughter from me because it reminded me of scenes from one of the worst films in the franchise.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

The Union

Netflix continues to dish out action comedies with big names attached to them and this movie about secret agent Roxanne, recruiting her high school flame Mike to be a part of a secret mission. Yes its definitely flimsy but the beginning of the movie was fun for me . Halle Berry and Mark Wahlberg looked like they were having fun together. Dana Delany and Berry still look milftastic. There are a few good action sequences. Then the movie starts to get a bit dull in it's second hour with basic things happening and ultra predictable turns. A lot of the talent is wasted and actors collect easy paychecks. Some characters completely vanish for the second half.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 5

Back