Welcome To aBlackWeb

Movie Night (Official Movie Discussion Thread)

The Substance

PRAISE: A relative, an associate, a celebrity and people on the show Botched I've seen them all go to through experiences of cosmetic, body altering surgeries. Some have really taking it to the extreme. This movie takes it to an extreme and then some. Theres superstar Elisabeth Sparkle (Demi Moore) who let's what someone says about her looks eat away at her confidence. So she decides to go with the Substance that seemingly offers youth again. But of course it comes at a price and I'm talking about more than money. High praise to Moore and Margaret Qualley as Sue for completely and I mean COMPLETELY turning over their acting skills and bodies to the movie. As a studio executive Harvey, Dennis Quaid turns in a swarmy and chauvinistic performance. The close up shots show the internal unattractiveness of a character. I enjoyed Writer and Director: Coralie Fargeat's
playing with the guidelines and rules of the Substance but also that she presents a story with clear and strong messages about when compliments aren't enough, self obsession can push people out of your life that actually may care about you and like you the way you are. What are the true benefits of having cosmetic procedures? Are there really any at all? I definitely kept asking that of Elisabeths character once the movie reached a certain point. Even getting involved with something sketchy out of complete desperation because all logic and reason has vanished.I couldn't help but think of the work of David Cronenberg and the book The Picture of Dorian Gray as the movie progressed. This movie takes body horror to all kinds of insane levels, I found the movie involving and one of the most horrifying experiences I've ever had in a movie theater. This movie isn't for everyone and I'm not sure people will be able to stay in their seats for the entire movie.

PROBLEMS: As soon as there was a major turn in the first 30 minutes of the movie it was predictable what thread in the movie was going to unravel. The movie reaches stomach churning,over the top levels in its climax that I just shook my head at.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

I'm trying to go into it with an open mind but the Tyler Perry/TD Jakes type of films never really do it for me cause it's so exaggerated for a genre that's supposed to be based in some reality.

Same copy/paste story line but my main reason I'm here is for the fellowship
The fellowship and mentoring aspect made it a solid watch. Homeboy that forgave his sons killer and brought him in was a strong message cause it couldn't have been me

The 4:30 Movie

PRAISE: In this movie Kevin Smith helps us recall what binge watching was in the late 1980's. I used to call it surfing. Pay for one movie and go watch about 3 or 4 other movies for free. I remember actually being thrown out of a theatre after paying for Total Recall once but watching it four more times,until an usher finally caught on. Smith taps into those kind of memories filled with nostalgia and that's when the movie worked for me. The cast and characters are charming enough there's : film lover Brian David (Austin Zajur),ladies man Burny (Nicholas Cirillo), nerdy Belly (Reed Northrup)and the lovely Melody (Siena Agudong) who Brian adores .There's a lot of fun dialogue about Iconic characters, movies,and celebrities. Smith definitely infuses a lot of his love for movies into the film. He also gets the teenage vibe right particularly about hanging out with your friends all day but really looking forward to a date with a girl you care about later on. There's a host of guest stars that make cameos that were fun to see for the most part. Smith tried his best to avoid getting an R rating for the movie but I can definitely see why it couldn't get a PG-13 stamp.

PROBLEMS: Some bits in the movie go on far to long,and they are repetitive. So much so they become painfully unfunny. One character has a couple of funny lines but then just becomes extremely annoying.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7

Never Let Go

This movie about a family of three unnamed mother (Halle Berry) and her two sons, Nolan (Percy Daggs IV) and Samuel (Anthony B. Jenkins) starts off well enough because I wasn't even sure what type of foundation the film was building on. The family stays tethered to their home which is powerful enough to stop the "evil" that might take them over. All three leads do well as trust,what's real,and haunting imagery are intertwined with their performances.When the music plays during certain scenes it brought back great memories of several haunting movies ive watched over the years. I could see the biblical nods which i liked. Unfortunately after 20 minutes it becomes very predictable and I started to think Director Alexandre Aja and writers Kevin Coughlin and Ryan Grassby are fans of a former film that plays out in a very similar way and wanted to remake it but with more horrifying imagery. This film had to many dull moments for me and what actually kept me watching and entertained was my desire to see if the predictable turns would play out.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6

Back