Welcome To aBlackWeb

Let’s Build (Vol3): We’re The Reason The Ghetto Is The Ghetto

My mom before she passed bought her house in a neighborhood with government assisted folks paying rent (this is in Maryland). The neighborhood had a good amount of crime going on. Her car got broken into by some serial carjacker who got caught soon after. There was all kinds of fights and stuff going on when I visited a couple summers ago. I know she regretted buying that house but she wanted to own something so I don’t blame her for that. Outside looking in it’s not a bad looking neighborhood but some people can’t appreciate a good thing I guess.

depending on a persons history or income they can’t buy or are honest with themselves about not being maintenance minded so renting is a better option.

Owning a home is a lot of work.

Even still, I believe most rental contracts for houses do mention outside upkeep. It may not be enforced if the landlord just don't care, but it's likely there.

You jumping over the renters to tell the owner doesn’t help black people learn to value where they are renting

Your unwillingness to help is naturally part of the issue

You would rather take 2 steps to tell the owner and hope they deal with it than take 1 step to teach the renters value
Yea it does. Teaches them that they'e adults now and if they rent something from someone in good condition, it should be maintained in that condition or they'll lose that right to someone else more deserving. Just because someone is black doesnt mean they're slow, I shouldn't be obligated to teach another adult to not litter. If you feel the need to do that, more power to you, but thats exactly how you get into some weird feud.

How am I the bad guy because I'm not doing the owners job for free? If its too much trouble for the owner, hire a company or dont rent. I'm not letting them pass on their responsibility to me.

depending on a persons history or income they can’t buy or are honest with themselves about not being maintenance minded so renting is a better option.

Owning a home is a lot of work.
Naw. You’re going to the highest level with this.

It’s more of the micro. Like leaving trash in the yard, being outside making a bunch of noise really late at night. Having broken down beat up cars in front the house. Putting the trash cans back after they have been picked up. It’s simple shit a bunch of folks are not doing.

Yea it does. Teaches them that they'e adults now and if they rent something from someone in good condition, it should be maintained in that condition or they'll lose that right to someone else more deserving. Just because someone is black doesnt mean they're slow, I shouldn't be obligated to teach another adult to not litter. If you feel the need to do that, more power to you, but thats exactly how you get into some weird feud.

How am I the bad guy because I'm not doing the owners job for free? If its too much trouble for the owner, hire a company or dont rent. I'm not letting them pass on their responsibility to me.
You should want to pass along the value of keeping your community clean to other black people as it helps us out over time

You skipping this step to tell the owner to enforce some rules doesn’t help as much

Even still, I believe most rental contracts for houses do mention outside upkeep. It may not be enforced if the landlord just don't care, but it's likely there.
They are greedy and predators.
A small percentage of the rental income can save so many headaches.

You should want to pass along the value of keeping your community clean to other black people as it helps us out over time

You skipping this step to tell the owner to enforce some rules doesn’t help as much
I'm not helping as much and them not enforcing any rules doesnt help at all. So either way, im in the right more than them

Naw. You’re going to the highest level with this.

It’s more of the micro. Like leaving trash in the yard, being outside making a bunch of noise really late at night. Having broken down beat up cars in front the house. Putting the trash cans back after they have been picked up. It’s simple shit a bunch of folks are not doing.
Community meetings about care and upkeep of the community along with screening renters and not renewing leases and/or certain clauses.

It falls on the landlord and renter because it effects the community.

All I I is it’s a bunch of houses for rent really close to me now.

And to be honest, I don’t like that.

Shrugs.

I mentioned this weeks ago that bad neighborhoods become that way bcuz we are too busy minding our own business. If Rita Lawson's boy, Rollo is out there busting bottles in the street, then you gotta let Rita know that this is not acceptable. Bcuz if you let Rollo go unchecked, the next thing you know his friends are doing it too. Then it just gets worse.

If someone gets their car broken into and a few days later somebody trying to sell shit on the low and you let it slide, pretty soon that is gonna be your car that gets ganked. The whole see no evil, speak no evil has got us fucked up. And we wonder why we have to pay higher insurance premiums than the pilgrims.

This is very true. A lack of people wanting to actually take care of their communities outside their own front yard is a problem

Too many people grew up in homes and apts they didn't own. Their family didn't own. So there's no accountability for keeping it clean.

It's always someone else job.

This.

The guy who use to rent out the house next door to my dad had to finally sell the house.

Muthafucca had drug dealers and crackheads as tenants. And each time they've left...they'd trash the fucc out the house. And each time he had to shell out money to gut the whole house.

After the last trash azzz tenant I think he decided to wash his hands of the house. He renovated it again and just put it on the market

Renters get called out but homeowners bring down property values too. Homeowners be struggling to pay the mortgage on a house they had no business buying. So upkeep on the house is an afterthought. Fence all fucked up, roof looks like shit. Barking dogs day and night. Grass won't grow or needs cut badly etc. Paint peeling and "project cars" sitting in the driveway that ain't gonna ever see the road. HOA's solve a lot of this but not all neighborhoods have them.

I’m looking at some of these posts like…

View attachment 1118095

I’m not gonna go full Bill Cosby pound cake speech with this”Let’s Build” series, but I do wanna present topics for us as a people to discuss that may be uncomfortable.

Of course some of our issues are systemic, but a lot of our problems are self inflicted as well. I think it’s time to address those and more importantly see how we can go about correcting it.

My neighborhood don’t have HOA. The community do a pretty decent job with keeping it looking nice but you got some houses around here that’s like ugh. They are all the rent houses too.

Renters get called out but homeowners bring down property values too. Homeowners be struggling to pay the mortgage on a house they had no business buying. So upkeep on the house is an afterthought. Fence all fucked up, roof looks like shit. Barking dogs day and night. Grass won't grow or needs cut badly etc. Paint peeling and "project cars" sitting in the driveway that ain't gonna ever see the road. HOA's solve a lot of this but not all neighborhoods have them.
This is true. My family just moved from a rental last year. We called the homeowner's agent during the winter to say that there was little to no heat coming into the house and that we think that the pipes were frozen. Instead of checking on the heat or the pipes, they told us that the renter that was there before us used a hair dryer to unfreeze the pipes. That was our last straw. They just wanted to raise the rent without fixing anything.

Back