Welcome To aBlackWeb

HipHop Hasn't Done Anything Good For Black People

Let me recap.

Your Claim: “The kids that give "less then their full effort into their Education " are usually the ones that come from terrible schools. Schools where they are understaffed , don't have money, teachers that dont give a fuck, gangs in school, lack of resources, etc. Entertainment and sports are a way out for most in those types of environments.”

My counter claim: That’s a myth
Fact to support my counter claim: Black students underperform relative to other groups regardless of socioeconomic status or school resources.
Evidence to support my counter claim: Black American Students in an Affluent Suburb: A Story of Academic Disengagement (Ogbu,2003)
Money and School Performance: Lessons from the Kansas City Desegregation Experiment (Ciotti, 1998) <=Which I referenced in an earlier post

You and @BlackRain both made the assertion that the lower school performance among Black students can be mainly attributed to lower resources. I disagreed and provided evidence that showed instances of Black students under performing even with similar access to resources. Y’all have provided ZERO evidence to back up your claims.

It is true that it’s my OPINION that the difference in performance can properly be attributed to a different set of values amongst the students. It’s an opinion and not fact because I have no way of proving “culture” empirically.

I think my reasoning is sound, but I understand you’re not willing to admit that maybe “Hip Hop Culture” and its norms aren’t necessarily conducive to academic or economic success.

Shit, @Inglewood_B ain’t even willing to admit that gangbanging(!) hasn’t done anything good for Black people.

So yeah y’all are hopeless 😂.
You didn't quote my whole post. If you did, you would see I compared underprivileged /under funded schools to properly funded/ privileged schools.

You compared Black and whites in the same school and same financial middle class background. So in your example, funding wouldn't matter. But problems that were listed in that video is still there and has nothing to do with hip hop. Opinion vs facts is not a good debate at all.

But you called my example a myth. If you honestly believe funded and underfunded schools provide the same results for black students, then this debate is hopeless.

If a school is not properly funded, some of the following things can happen: large class sizes, fewer advanced classes, lack of resources, less experienced teachers. Teachers have to spend their money to buy kids supplies. Teachers burn out quicker.

Didn't know you needed proof on that but I'll get that for you. It will be easy to find because that is fact. I will be back later with the links. Got to step out for a moment

Let me recap.

Your Claim: “The kids that give "less then their full effort into their Education " are usually the ones that come from terrible schools. Schools where they are understaffed , don't have money, teachers that dont give a fuck, gangs in school, lack of resources, etc. Entertainment and sports are a way out for most in those types of environments.”

Fact to support my counter claim: Black students underperform relative to other groups regardless of socioeconomic status or school resources.
Evidence to support my counter claim: Black American Students in an Affluent Suburb: A Story of Academic Disengagement (Ogbu,2003)
Money and School Performance: Lessons from the Kansas City Desegregation Experiment (Ciotti, 1998) <=Which I referenced in an earlier post

You and @BlackRain both made the assertion that the lower school performance among Black students can be mainly attributed to lower resources. I disagreed and provided evidence that showed instances of Black students under performing even with similar access to resources. Y’all have provided ZERO evidence to back up your claims.

It is true that it’s my OPINION that the difference in performance can properly be attributed to a different set of values amongst the students. It’s an opinion and not fact because I have no way of proving “culture” empirically.

I think my reasoning is sound, but I understand you’re not willing to admit that maybe “Hip Hop Culture” and its norms aren’t necessarily conducive to academic or economic success.

Shit, @Inglewood_B ain’t even willing to admit that gangbanging(!) hasn’t done anything good for Black people.

Still got it wrong. I named more than resources. That's a part of it but not the whole equation. Part of that nuance that's supposed to not be good for this topic

You didn't quote my whole post. If you did, you would see I compared underprivileged /under funded schools to properly funded/ privileged schools.

You compared Black and whites in the same school and same financial middle class background. So in your example, funding wouldn't matter. But problems that were listed in that video is still there and has nothing to do with hip hop. Opinion vs facts is not a good debate at all.

But you called my example a myth. If you honestly believe funded and underfunded schools provide the same results for black students, then this debate is hopeless.

If a school is not properly funded, some of the following things can happen: large class sizes, fewer advanced classes, lack of resources, less experienced teachers. Teachers have to spend their money to buy kids supplies. Teachers burn out quicker.

Didn't know you needed proof on that but I'll get that for you. It will be easy to find because that is fact. I will be back later with the links. Got to step out for a moment

@Stiff Here is your proof of underfunded schools and the impact it has. The second link is a bit more time consuming to read but they both get the point across. Shit was easy to find.

@Stiff Here is your proof of underfunded schools and the impact it has. The second link is a bit more time consuming to read but they both get the point across. Shit was easy to find.

These articles aren’t proof. The first one is an editorial (ie. Opinion). The second one correlates poverty to poor school performance which isn’t in dispute; but correlation is not causation.

You’d have a case if you could give an example of a school that was receiving poor funding, went on to receive adequate funding and then observed notable improvements in scholastic achievement.

To support my point (Black students generally underperform regardless of funding or resources) I gave two specific case studies that supported it.

We disagree on WHY that is.

Oh word…?

Now why you get on here and lie like my unedited post ain’t right there? I answered immediately when you tried to go there.
Nah b you lying. The post of yours you just quoted was in response to this:

Alright for the sake of argument you’re going to say there’s no such thing as a functioning crack addict.. let me try another way

Does everybody who joins a gang die or go to prison?

When I followed up with

One more I promise: do you agree with the statement that “gangbanging has never done anything for the Black community”.

You left the thread, never to be heard from again.

Nah b you lying. The post of yours you just quoted was in response to this:

When I followed up with

You left the thread, never to be heard from again.

I left the thread to go to work, man… I don’t live on ABW.

I didn’t answer because you asked yet ANOTHER useless rhetorical question and I already seen where you were going with it. The answer is stil the same. It’s no.

Now what? And don’t answer my question with another question

I left the thread to go to work, man… I don’t live on ABW.

I didn’t answer because you asked yet ANOTHER useless rhetorical question and I already seen where you were going with it. The answer is stil the same. It’s no.

Now what? And don’t answer my question with another question
If you’re not able to say that Gangbanging has never done anything for the Black community then of course you’re not going to say hip hop has been detrimental.

Lol we’re done.

Are YOU serious? You provided an example and video evidence that doesnt even back up your orginal claim.

This is what you said Verbatim:

"Hip hop has depressed black academic achievement, and it has done this mainly by making kids give less then their full effort into their education.

There would be more black doctors, engineers, scientists and businesspeople but for hip hop.

More black businesspeople, for example, could have lead to a black Elton Musk, or a black Bill Gates.

Do you know much good even one black multibillionaire like that can do?"

The video gave many reasons why that school is the way it is and none said "hip hop culture". Why are yall ignoring what they said? That is their experience. Yall are basically insinuating and making it sould like you are saying "naw, that ain't the main reason yall are behind. It's due to hip hop".

Why do you have so much faith in billionaires? We have black billionaires. Why haven't the kids been saved yet? A very small portion may have been but that is not enough. Starts with home and community .

The video clearly doesn't back up what I initially said. Very Clearly. So why would I post it as "proof"?

Let's put the video aside because what you're saying is just dumb.

Can you understand the concept of "If things had been different in certain ways, we would have had more of x"? We have a few billionaires. But do you really think that we couldn't have had much more? And it's not just billionaires, but millionaires and owner of small businesses too. We would have had more at every level. I just mentioned billionaires for obvious reasons.

These articles aren’t proof. The first one is an editorial (ie. Opinion). The second one correlates poverty to poor school performance which isn’t in dispute; but correlation is not causation.

You’d have a case if you could give an example of a school that was receiving poor funding, went on to receive adequate funding and then observed notable improvements in scholastic achievement.

To support my point (Black students generally underperform regardless of funding or resources) I gave two specific case studies that supported it.

We disagree on WHY that is.
I don't know what to tell you then. You have yet realized you are not debating my point with a proper comparison. Under privileged schools vs privileged schools. One will have more students that get careers in some of the fields gray matter listed. That is not debatable. If one high school has a computer programming class and the other doesn't, which school is most likely to have the most students continue with computer programming after high school? That was the main argument.

The book and video gave you multiple reasons why for your example but you still think it is hip hop culture. Nasty work. In a debate, Opinions don't matter so not sure why you brought it up.

Poverty and underfunded schools go hand and hand. It relates to how those schools get funding. It seems you want it to be one main issue but there are many. School funding is not the only thing that needs to happen but it is one of the issues. Properly funded schools help.

Screenshot_20240826_212921_Adblock Browser.jpg

Let me recap.

If that dude was even minimally informed, he would know that what you're saying must be right. Some conservatives (even some liberals) have been saying for decades that affirmative action should be class-based, not race-based. But the well-known reason why most liberals and left wing people have resisted this is because even middle class blacks underperform academically. So a class-based AA wouldn't help them.

Back