Welcome To aBlackWeb

HipHop Hasn't Done Anything Good For Black People

Explain how hip hop culture translates to “stay outta schoo, kids!”

Then explain how the millions of black kids who did well, went to college, got an education but also listen to hip hop or identify themselves as part of the culture were immune to this supposed curse
Explain to me how thousands of people were able to smoke crack and still go to work everyday.

Steel drums >>> Benny the Butcher
512o1v.png

nobody asked for sources yet? lol

You got the answers so break it down… just laying it at the feet of hip hop without the how or why is as intellectually lazy as you are claiming our black youth are.

So lay it out there. Time for you niggas making assertions to show and prove.

nevermind

You’d have to show me somebody consistently smoking crack and still going to work and functioning first. Every crack smoker I saw eventually looked and acted like a crack smoker

Alright for the sake of argument you’re going to say there’s no such thing as a functioning crack addict.. let me try another way

Does everybody who joins a gang die or go to prison?

This is great, now address my point. Why do Black schools in middle class Black neighborhoods underperform white schools of similar means?
I never once brought up white people in my post So I'm not sure why you are.

Also, you want me to debate a book , not an article, a book right now. A book I never read.

I looked it up. Saw a summary. Seems like the finger is pointed at the home of the kids and the school system. If you can pull from that book where he goes in with rap music, I'll be more inclined to understand.

Screenshot_20240825_221411_Adblock Browser.jpg

Here's an old video on the Shaker Heights controversy.

Again, the point is that if even many black kids in well-funded schools do worse than white kids attending the same schools, then inadequate resources - while obviously a problem for many schools -- can't be the whole story. I think hip hop is part of the problem.

Again, the point is that if even many black kids in well-funded schools do worse than white kids attending the same schools, then inadequate resources - while obviously a problem for many schools -- can't be the whole story. I think hip hop is part of the problem.

how you trying to make this correlation when them white kids are more than likely listening to the same music.

This whole school argument seems silly as fuck to me

At the bolded is opinion based. So this is not fact. This is a case closed discussion then. But I will watch the video

Another thing to consider is how black boys do in school versus black girls. Black girls do much better. Why? Being male-dominated, I believe hip hop plays a bigger role in shaping black male identity than in shaping black female identity. So it is one factor. Not saying it's the only one though.

how you trying to make this correlation when them white kids are more than likely listening to the same music.

This whole school argument seems silly as fuck to me

You can't be serious. Hip hop plays a far bigger role in shaping the identity of black young people than in shaping the identity of white young people, even if they listen to the music roughly the same (which I am not even sure is true).

I never once brought up white people in my post So I'm not sure why you are.

Also, you want me to debate a book , not an article, a book right now. A book I never read.

I looked it up. Saw a summary. Seems like the finger is pointed at the home of the kids and the school system. If you can pull from that book where he goes in with rap music, I'll be more inclined to understand.

View attachment 1365663
I’m not talking about “rap music”. I’m talking about “Hip hop culture” which not only includes rap music but also the cultural norms and values that come with it.

I mentioned White people because you cited lack of funding for Black schools as the primary reason as to why Black schools underperform. My point was, if that’s the case why do middle class Black students in majority Black middle class areas underperform white people of the same socioeconomic status?

My answer is different cultural values. What’s yours?

How yall gonna tell me to read a book yall obviously didn't read, or research a statistic that was observed in one school and in one state but claim it is happening at most schools? Then throw "hip hop" in there but the kids themselves said everything but hip hop?

What we doing here?

It's not just one school, and it's not just schools in one city. Shaker Heights schools just happen to be among the most well-known. Why would you think it's just one school? Obviously, we are making a more general point.

And just because the students themselves didn't point the finger at hip hop that means that hip hop couldn't possibly play a role? You can't be serious.

Back