Welcome To aBlackWeb

FINALS: Goat Song of 98: Get At Me Dog vs Da Art of Storytellin

FINALS: Goat Song of 98: Get At Me Dog vs Da Art of Storytellin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is reality, not no Wikipedia shit or know guess-ti-mation type shit, I lived in the shit in 98 and witnessed the game, I was in the game.

Folk, No Limit, and Cash Money were running the south in 98. What you don't understand and others was how the climate was in 98, Outkast was in 98 like your D or E options or below in the rap game. Them niggas were like today's Kid Cudi or somebody, while Drake, J.Cole, K.Dot were more like your No Limit, Cash Money artists, Niggas in 98 were going to the mall, Circuit City, Best Buy, your mom and pop store to cop a No Limit, CMR, UGK, etc album on the day they dropped, I remember niggas skipping school, going to get these niggas albums back in 98, not no dayum Outkast album in 98 smh, Outkast wasn't in the game like that, Them niggas weren't on no big boy status, like a P, or a BG or a Silk. I lived in the Era, I know how the climate was back then down here, LA, TX, MS, AL, FL, GA the southern coast. No Limit had more fans in ATL than them niggas Outkast back in 98.

If one of these camps dropped an album back in 98, this how niggas down here picking order would be when they would go to the store:

"Man yall got that new"

No Limit Album
Cash Money Album
UGK
Too Short
Bad Boy
R&B Album
Outkast Album (if a nigga even mentioned them)

This would be your ranking order on how niggas got their albums.

Let me break the shit down even further,

1. That kind of rap style and content that Outkast, in 98 were rapping about, niggas down south, LA, MS, TX, the Southern Coast, wasn't on that wave yet, you had a nigga dressing like Dennis Rodman and you had another nigga rapping to wordy, niggas weren't on that wave to listen to all that, that's why your Jay-Z and other East Coast niggas couldn't break the market down here without having a southern artist on their shit, Niggas aint want to hear all that wordy wordy rap, Most Southern rappers weren't talking about dope, killing niggas, capers, etc in a context that could relate to the average black male living in the South.

2. Gangsta rap was the only thing niggas were listening to in 98, if you as a rapper didn't kill 2 or 3 niggas in your rap song, talked about moving weight, pulling capers, flossing, etc, your songs weren't on the radar down here. Aggressive content was the thing for us, not that mild, witty rap, that became the norm like in 2001, when Luda and then Kast started to break out, when the aggressive content started to take a backseat.

3. Ms. Jackson, when that song came out, niggas were like wtf is that song about, down the road, when niggas got much older, that's when niggas found out who the song really was about, when it came out, niggas was like ??? but it jammed because of the beat. Elevators too Also niggas down here, like songs with Knock, if yo shit didn't have base, to kick the 12's and 15's in niggas trunk, they weren't fucking wit it, along with aggressive content.

4. See the clip below, When No Limit dropped, CMR were still local, but coming up and still tearing up shit, when they would release a BG, or Big Tymers tape or Juvie, the shit was selling out 1st day in stores, that's all niggas played down here in the Southern Coast, that Outkast shit, niggas wasn't bumping that at all, where would you play your Outkast tape at??? A school dance, fuck no, in the parking lot outside a let out?? Fuck no, Going to a football classic, in TX, Fl, LA, etc?? At college, their Union or meet-up spot on campus? Fuck no, Freak Nic in 98?? Fuck no, Kappa beach?? fuck no, So where would a nigga play a "Da Art of Story Telling or songs off that album??? It kills niggas heart to know the truth about how things were back in the day.

5. The big dogs, in 98, Silk, C-Murder, Juvie, BG, even Lil Wayne, Master P, Snoop, I can keep going, albums were more anticipating coming out than anything Kast put out in prior to 98 and these niggas were on a Major Label.

C Murder had one of the most anticipated albums that year alone, Niggas were sitting by the radio waiting for this dude album Life or Death to dropped, Lines were all out the stores in the Mall for that nigga shit, and the next day, niggas weren't bumping that shit at school, niggas weren't doing that shit with Kast shit in 98 Lol

Niggas in va understood ms. Jackson easy. I mean it came out in 7th grade it aint that hard to figure he talking about his bm and her mama.

Niggas in va understood ms. Jackson easy. I mean it came out in 7th grade it aint that hard to figure he talking about his bm and her mama.

Man,

I salute them niggas in VA, but when that song came out, Folks were making a joke about the song, the hook was the only thing niggas were reciting and they were only doing that to make a joke out of it, telling somebody that they were sorry. The lyrics as I stated, were to wordy, The hook was the most recited shit niggas down here quoted and from the hook, I and many others didn't know it was about his BM and her mama

So Kast before 2000 was up there with UGK, No Limit, CMR??

Kast were consider a big dog group prior to 2000?? Is this what we doing?? I know niggas hold these dudes high, but this aint 2018 we talking about

U do know America is much bigger than the slums of Louisiana right?

Outkast wasn't on anybody's radar in 98!?!?!? Them mfs been on the map since 94. This is why I half way can't take the shit you be saying serious. Cuz you're either trollin or don't know wtf you're talkin about lol
since i know your role, im not gonna get offended by this

but knock and I talked yesterday and while i agree with some of his points, I countered him with a perspective outside of his own to hopefully show him the positions ya'll were taking, however, i agree wholeheartedly with him when he asked "how is Silkk's "it aint my fault" NOT in the tournament?"

@5th Letter, i know you just post the nomination threads, but as the tourney curator, I feel you should've mentioned something like this.

Like how does practically the biggest label that year in hip hop...not just the south, in all of hip hop have NO songs mentioned? This is why a lot of these threads seems biased as hell against most southern artists

would "it aint my fault" win the tourney? Probably not, but the fact that its not mentioned is unsettling.

@5th Letter, i know you just post the nomination threads, but as the tourney curator, I feel you should've mentioned something like this.
At least 7-10 posters nominated songs and no one thought to nominate any No Limit song, Goodie Mob wasn’t in the tournament either. People pick stuff that they like.

Man,

I salute them niggas in VA, but when that song came out, Folks were making a joke about the song, the hook was the only thing niggas were reciting and they were only doing that to make a joke out of it, telling somebody that they were sorry. The lyrics as I stated, were to wordy, The hook was the most recited shit niggas down here quoted and from the hook, I and many others didn't know it was about his BM and her mama

How could you not know what the song was about?

Its clear as day

@Knock_Twice must have been hanging with illiterate niggas or something...

And even if I give you the benefit and say Big Boi verse was “hard to understand” (smh)

Dre verse was about as str8 forward as it gets...along with the hook...

Nigga said his niggas aint know what Ms Jackson was about

:niggaa:

OutKast>>No Limit
OutKast>>Cash Money
OutKast>>UGK

i think I see what Knock is trying to say lol

wasnt it just three years prior at the 95 source awards where Andre made his now infamous remarks about the "south having something to say"?

but now all of a sudden, EVERYBODY in 98 was fucking with them like that?

At least 7-10 posters nominated songs and no one thought to nominate any No Limit song, Goodie Mob wasn’t in the tournament either. People pick stuff that they like.
my point is, as the curator, YOU should've nominated stuff as well outside of it to offset some of their bias

How could you not know what the song was about?

Its clear as day

@Knock_Twice must have been hanging with illiterate niggas or something...

And even if I give you the benefit and say Big Boi verse was “hard to understand” (smh)

Dre verse was about as str8 forward as it gets...along with the hook...

Nigga said his niggas aint know what Ms Jackson was about

:niggaa:
So niggas in his hood wasn’t having issues with their child’s mother. That’s not relatable?

since i know your role, im not gonna get offended by this

but knock and I talked yesterday and while i agree with some of his points, I countered him with a perspective outside of his own to hopefully show him the positions ya'll were taking, however, i agree wholeheartedly with him when he asked "how is Silkk's "it aint my fault" NOT in the tournament?"

Like how does practically the biggest label that year in hip hop...not just the south, in all of hip hop have NO songs mentioned? This is why a lot of these threads seems biased as hell against most southern artists

would "it aint my fault" win the tourney? Probably not, but the fact that its not mentioned is unsettling.

I feel you...

But fam...there are a gang of southern posters on here....myself included....and not nan’ one of us nominated that record....sooooo

my point is, as the curator, YOU should've nominated stuff as well outside of it to offset some of their bias
That’s not my job to be honest, every year I can find at least a few songs that were left out that should’ve made the tournament. If No Limit was popping like that then how come no one thought to nominate them? Even southern posters didn’t nominate No Limit. Guess what I put Juvie’s Ha in the tournament no one nominated it.

Uh...

Yes nigga

Bruh in 95, They made the statement at the Source Awards, like @AP21 mentioned

And in 98, niggas were on them heavy?? No breh.

Their wave didn't take off like that down here, that rap as I stated was to wordy and niggas were talking about how 3000 style was, the nigga was a weirdo and niggas down here wasn't fucking with that shit, blonde wigs, etc, What niggas were on that kind of wave??. Gangsta ass niggas?

11-17 year old niggas?? Who was on that wave like that with what 3000 was doing, who co-signed that shit and his style of rap in 98??

Aggressive content was the wave, thus why No Limit ran the game

Breh, in 98, C-Murder, Master P, Snoop Dog, had the most anticipated albums of that year, All 3 off No Limit, Then the Big Tymers album that year was out, Juvie had next and Solja Rags had every nigga rocking a rag. Niggas weren't copping Kast album like that in 98

i think I see what Knock is trying to say lol

wasnt it just three years prior at the 95 source awards where Andre made his now infamous remarks about the "south having something to say"?

but now all of a sudden, EVERYBODY in 98 was fucking with them like that?

Cuz outkast got sued in 98 by Rosa Parks for thier HIT SINGLE Rosa Parks....

Which every nigga was jamming

Niggas was jamming the shit out of Aquemini

This shit is amazing bro...

Nigga said Kast and break out till 2001

and that they werent a perennial respected group in the south in 98

Cuz outkast got sued in 98 by Rosa Parks for thier HIT SINGLE Rosa Parks....

Which every nigga was jamming

Niggas was jamming the shit out of Aquemini

This shit is amazing bro...

Nigga said Kast and break out till 2001

and that they werent a perennial respected group in the south in 98

I mentioned Rosa Parks song was jamming and what other song did they have??? What follow up single?? That jammed like that??

As I stated, the climate was different in 98, Them niggas had 1 song that made noise off that album in 98 which was Rosa Parks

No Limit at the time had 3 artists that I name (with no singles) but had the most anticipated albums of that year, along with CMR albums. We can't fit 2018 mindset into 98.

Outside of Rosa Park, what song Outkast had that shot up to number 1 on your radio station rap late night countdown in your hometown?? I'll wait

Niggas in your back yard were bumping Da Art of The Storytelling (it was a single) hard like that in 98, is this what you're saying???

Back