Welcome To aBlackWeb

FINALS: Goat Song of 98: Get At Me Dog vs Da Art of Storytellin

FINALS: Goat Song of 98: Get At Me Dog vs Da Art of Storytellin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought Steven coined Did I do that

For one, Outlast were, well 3000, was dressing weird and niggas were not up on that wave in 1998 with the cat. Niggas fucked with Elevators heavy but DA Art Of Storytelling, hell nah. That shit was on nobodies hot 8 at 8 radio countdown but now it was the hottest single or better song in 1998?? When you had niggas out in 1998 in the south that made more noise than these niggas on an independent level??

Where would you even play this song and who is listening to this song, niggas at 11-17 wasn't bumping that shit, they thought 3000 was a weirdo, dude, as I stated.
Niggas were on CMR, or No Limit, the college crowd were on that wave to and on UGK or X,
Kast, Elevators got love heavy because the shit was jamming, the song DA Art Of Story Telling wasn't relatable to niggas, again a kool song at the time but niggas wasnt coming to school on some, man play that Art of Story Telling before we hit up class

We feel what you saying

Buuuuuuutttt

The best song is not indicative of its popularity

Its a part of the criteria but not a prerequisite fam.

We take into account a lot of things...

Popularity
Sales
Quality of the song (lyrics and production)
Timelessness (could we play it now and get a positive reaction sans nostaligia?)

Im sure im missing some criteria but you get what im saying

We feel what you saying

Buuuuuuutttt

The best song is not indicative of its popularity

Its a part of the criteria but not a prerequisite fam.

We take into account a lot of things...

Popularity
Sales
Quality of the song (lyrics and production)
Timelessness (could we play it now and get a positive reaction sans nostaligia?)

Im sure im missing some criteria but you get what im saying

Aight.

I can respect that, and what others stated, but still folk, niggas wasn't talking about dubbing no DA Art Of Storytelling at the lunch table in 98

Well here is my question, if the song is song good in that year, why was it the top or near the top in that year??
But Silk's non rapping ass had the top spot?? Followed by HA

Aight.

I can respect that, and what others stated, but still folk, niggas wasn't talking about dubbing no DA Art Of Storytelling at the lunch table in 98

I agree

You must have missed the

Back That Azz Up vs Slippin debate and the thread created off that match-up

Me and @AP21 was doing the lords work in there

Nah bro,

Believe it or not The Hot Boys and No Limit, UGK were the main ones music being played consistently down here

Kast, weren't on the radar to anyone outside of those living in ATL in 98. Elevators made more noise at the time

Master P - Thinking Bout You made more noise than Kast song

The Last Don was the most anticipated album of the summer but Kast track B song is the best song in 98?? And you had 400 degrees killing the scene?? Come on man, Lol

You the deep south aint the world. I find it hard to believe Outkast song wasnt being played in the deep south. I remember both songs. Inthink the first Cah Money song people remember is HA which came out that year. And Make em Say uh came out too. I personally think all these songs coulda been song of the year as much as we heard them.

Let me ask you this:

Whose album was more anticipated in 98?

Let's start there

Master P - Last Don
Juvenile - 400 Degrees
Outkast - Aquemini
Snoop Dog- The Game is to be Sold, Not to Be Told.

Folk, I lived the era, and again, I traveled to different parts of the country. Nobody was waiting for an Outkast (outside of ATL folks) back in 98 to drop.

Juvie 400 album had more anticipation than Outkast album and he wasn't even nation wide yet.

Bruh, I'ma say something and it may not sit well with you, folks (a lot of folks) had Juvenile as their best rapper in the South in 98-99 or before, Big Boi and 3000, started becoming niggas favorite rappers after everybody else fell off

Dmx albums

I'm just saying, No Limit dropped over 10 albums that year, literally ran 98 alone. Master P had the most anticipated albums to come out that summer, plus you had an album with Millionaires Dream (Big Tymers) on it and Da Art of Story Telling is running 98? Come on man Lol

It's a kool song to listen to when it's a windy day outside, but come on man, over Millionaire Dream, Wayne literally had niggas trying sip on Don P that year Lol

Smh. Lol Dayum

What is millionaire dream?

I thought Steven coined Did I do that

For one, Outlast were, well 3000, was dressing weird and niggas were not up on that wave in 1998 with the cat. Niggas fucked with Elevators heavy but DA Art Of Storytelling, hell nah. That shit was on nobodies hot 8 at 8 radio countdown but now it was the hottest single or better song in 1998?? When you had niggas out in 1998 in the south that made more noise than these niggas on an independent level??

Where would you even play this song and who is listening to this song, niggas at 11-17 wasn't bumping that shit, they thought 3000 was a weirdo, dude, as I stated.
Niggas were on CMR, or No Limit, the college crowd were on that wave to and on UGK or X,
Kast, Elevators got love heavy because the shit was jamming, the song DA Art Of Story Telling wasn't relatable to niggas, again a kool song at the time but niggas wasnt coming to school on some, man play that Art of Story Telling before we hit up class

So in other words if its not a lively song it wasnt getting played?

Come on Man,

These 2 songs weren't even on anybody's radar in 98 and in 2018 they are the GOAT songs in 98?? Are we still re-writing rap history??

Nobody in 98 was on these songs (heavy) down here at all. I don't even think they cracked nobody's number one countdown (late at night mix)

@5th Letter no malice towards you, just speaking from the time when these songs were out.

(I can't fuss, I haven't even listed a song in the tournament lol) but still though, come on man

I was living in NYC when Get At Me Dog was out. That song was a MONSTER!

You the deep south aint the world. I find it hard to believe Outkast song wasnt being played in the deep south. I remember both songs. Inthink the first Cah Money song people remember is HA which came out that year. And Make em Say uh came out too. I personally think all these songs coulda been song of the year as much as we heard them.

This is reality, not no Wikipedia shit or know guess-ti-mation type shit, I lived in the shit in 98 and witnessed the game, I was in the game.

Folk, No Limit, and Cash Money were running the south in 98. What you don't understand and others was how the climate was in 98, Outkast was in 98 like your D or E options or below in the rap game. Them niggas were like today's Kid Cudi or somebody, while Drake, J.Cole, K.Dot were more like your No Limit, Cash Money artists, Niggas in 98 were going to the mall, Circuit City, Best Buy, your mom and pop store to cop a No Limit, CMR, UGK, etc album on the day they dropped, I remember niggas skipping school, going to get these niggas albums back in 98, not no dayum Outkast album in 98 smh, Outkast wasn't in the game like that, Them niggas weren't on no big boy status, like a P, or a BG or a Silk. I lived in the Era, I know how the climate was back then down here, LA, TX, MS, AL, FL, GA the southern coast. No Limit had more fans in ATL than them niggas Outkast back in 98.

If one of these camps dropped an album back in 98, this how niggas down here picking order would be when they would go to the store:

"Man yall got that new"

No Limit Album
Cash Money Album
UGK
Too Short
Bad Boy
R&B Album
Outkast Album (if a nigga even mentioned them)

This would be your ranking order on how niggas got their albums.

Let me break the shit down even further,

1. That kind of rap style and content that Outkast, in 98 were rapping about, niggas down south, LA, MS, TX, the Southern Coast, wasn't on that wave yet, you had a nigga dressing like Dennis Rodman and you had another nigga rapping to wordy, niggas weren't on that wave to listen to all that, that's why your Jay-Z and other East Coast niggas couldn't break the market down here without having a southern artist on their shit, Niggas aint want to hear all that wordy wordy rap, Most Southern rappers were talking about dope, killing niggas, capers, etc in a context that could relate to the average black male living in the South.

2. Gangsta rap was the only thing niggas were listening to in 98, if you as a rapper didn't kill 2 or 3 niggas in your rap song, talked about moving weight, pulling capers, flossing, etc, your songs weren't on the radar down here. Aggressive content was the thing for us, not that mild, witty rap, that became the norm like in 2001, when Luda and then Kast started to break out, when the aggressive content started to take a backseat.

3. Ms. Jackson, when that song came out, niggas were like wtf is that song about, down the road, when niggas got much older, that's when niggas found out who the song really was about, when it came out, niggas was like ??? but it jammed because of the beat. Elevators too Also niggas down here, like songs with Knock, if yo shit didn't have base, to kick the 12's and 15's in niggas trunk, they weren't fucking wit it, along with aggressive content.

4. See the clip below, When No Limit dropped, CMR were still local, but coming up and still tearing up shit, when they would release a BG, or Big Tymers tape or Juvie, the shit was selling out 1st day in stores, that's all niggas played down here in the Southern Coast, that Outkast shit, niggas wasn't bumping that at all, where would you play your Outkast tape at??? A school dance, fuck no, in the parking lot outside a let out?? Fuck no, Going to a football classic, in TX, Fl, LA, etc?? At college, their Union or meet-up spot on campus? Fuck no, Freak Nic in 98?? Fuck no, Kappa beach?? fuck no, So where would a nigga play a "Da Art of Story Telling or songs off that album??? It kills niggas heart to know the truth about how things were back in the day.

5. The big dogs, in 98, Silk, C-Murder, Juvie, BG, even Lil Wayne, Master P, Snoop, I can keep going, albums were more anticipating coming out than anything Kast put out prior to 98 and these niggas were on a Major Label.

C Murder had one of the most anticipated albums that year alone, Niggas were sitting by the radio waiting for this dude album Life or Death to dropped, Lines were all out the stores in the Mall for that nigga shit, and the next day, niggas weren't bumping that shit at school, niggas weren't doing that shit with Kast shit in 98 Lol

Last edited:
Back