OUT NOW Elden Ring (Shadow of Erdtree 6/21)

All ya'll beating the game, and I'm really just now getting into the main quest. There is a lot of shit in this game.

only side quests I've done are the one that got me better spells. actually looking forward to exploring more on the next run once I got a better feel for the game.

only side quests I've done are the one that got me better spells. actually looking forward to exploring more on the next run once I got a better feel for the game.

I only missed one side quest that I’m aware of & I couldn’t go back & do it cause I’d already passed a point of no return. I’d recommend doing them all if you can just to max out on special items though. Still short of 100% completion cause I’m missing a few spells/incantations. Might have to get those on NG+

It’s basically Dark souls w/ a different name ( which isn’t a negative thing ) & a sprinkle of Bloodborne influences ( some enemies & locales ).

Yeah and I think they changed the open world Genre game , they basically made an open world Metroidvania and that isn’t really possible.

I can’t go back to the semi open , corridor to corridor worlds of Dark souls due to it, even adding the relatively simple ‘jump and horseback‘ gameplay switched it all up for me. I’ve got 2 close friends that never got into Dark souls cause shit was to hardcore for them that are all over this game cause the open world gives them the freedom to literraly run away and try somewhere else lol.

Yeah and I think they changed the open world Genre game , they basically made an open world Metroidvania and that isn’t really possible.

I can’t go back to the semi open , corridor to corridor worlds of Dark souls due to it, even adding the relatively simple ‘jump and horseback‘ gameplay switched it all up for me. I’ve got 2 close friends that never got into Dark souls cause shit was to hardcore for them that are all over this game cause the open world gives them the freedom to literraly run away and try somewhere else lol.

you mean Breath of the Wild changed the open world genre because Elden is immulating that game. Alot of games are.

you mean Breath of the Wild changed the open world genre because Elden is immulating that game. Alot of games are.

nah Im saying it’s doing the same as what breath of the wild di d to the genre like the Ocarina of Time, Shenmue, GTA 3 etc did to the genre before. Its another step forward.

fromsoftware did it before with the ‘souls’ series, the most recent God of War, Nioh , even that Star Wars game all immulated Demon’s / Dark Souls.

neither of those games changed the open world genre more so than their own.

Zelda has always been a game about exploration and so a open world format seemed like the next fit. but alot of what they added is really not something folks want to see in every open world game. Genshin Impact chose to copy/paste BoTW simply cause its a gacha game first.

Elden Ring was just them doing the same rinse and repeat of the last few Souls games. They HAD to innovate because everyone was copying their hard ass difficulty as mentioned. there was so much more they could have done but a good portion of Elden Ring is reused assets and ideas.

Both have merits but I can't see games in the future utilizing either without being considered a copy. Not to say either dont deserve the acclaim they garnered but this is all just my opinion.

Aint been as active online as I usually am.

Bought this on day release. Love this game. So much. Playing a faith based build with confessor as a starter. Rocking my winged scythe at the moment. Havent done much summoning into my own world but been doing plenty of summon stones for other folks so I can learn areas. Also been following fightincowboys walkthrough on YouTube.

There's so many characters I want fo make in this game. I need a pure caster build, samurai build, berserker build, and a spell blade. Gonna be stuck on this game for years probably lol

just beat Malenia after pumping my levels to 156 and vigor to 45. Black Knife Tiche carried the fight but as a mage, I can't see myself not getting two-shotted till NG+. Ever since I added Bloodhound step to my loadout, been zipping around fights I would have otherwise lost due to casting.

• Goat
Reactions: Hundredeyes
I love the game, but damn these bosses are giving me a hard time. It's not even that they are super difficult either. It's just so easy to die.

Like I'm in the process of fighting Rennala right now, and I have a winning strategy. I've had her to within a few hits of death a couple times, and some little thing always goes wrong, but that's all it takes for everything to fall apart. Like there one time when i basically was going perfectly against her, hadn't even got hit a single time. Then she floods the screen with homing projectiles and then throws her staff at me and catches me coming out of a roll as I'm trying to dodge all that shit. I really think the game reads your inputs and kinda cheats some times.

Reactions: RandomNegro
I really think the game reads your inputs and kinda cheats some times.
Yeah, there's for sure input reading. There are a couple examples on reddit where it's pretty obvious, lol. Once you know it's there, you adjust to it. Like not drinking a flask within a godskin fireball's range or crucible knight lunge.

As for Rennala, rush her ass.

Yeah, there's for sure input reading. There are a couple examples on reddit where it's pretty obvious, lol. Once you know it's there, you adjust to it. Like not drinking a flask within a godskin fireball's range or crucible knight lunge.

As for Rennala, rush her ass.

Yeah I learned about being more careful with flask usage a long time ago. I tried to do shit I got away with all the time in other Souls games and suffered for it.

As for Rennala, I know how to beat her, shit just goes left and it only takes one mistake to lose. I'm not really complaining about the bosses to be clear. Most of my misery is from the fact is that I'm lazy and careless when it comes to getting stronger, so I'm pretty sure I'm not where I should be powerwise when fighting these bosses.

Reactions: Golan
Just beat the game today. first souls game I completed so my opinion is biased.

For a game touted as difficult, I just think that having to figure out EVERYTHING on your own is the hard part. Sure I used a wiki for stuff I wanted to find but I don't have 100+ hours to spend being frustrated. main thing is, if you level your Vigor between 40-60, the rest of the game becomes a breeze once you're not dying to one-shots all day. Some of the bosses are cheap but the fact that we have just as cheap options, if we know where to look, kinda balances it out.

May be me but I have no clue what the damn story is supposed to be. Most of the people you meet die for one reason or another in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment.

Now I got a viable build, I can't wait to test it out in NG+ and take my time. Even with wikis and guides, the game still took 76 hrs to beat so I'm not in a rush to go even slower than that.

cool game but I don't think I could play the older souls game without the open-world aspect.

Yeah I learned about being more careful with flask usage a long time ago. I tried to do shit I got away with all the time in other Souls games and suffered for it.

As for Rennala, I know how to beat her, shit just goes left and it only takes one mistake to lose. I'm not really complaining about the bosses to be clear. Most of my misery is from the fact is that I'm lazy and careless when it comes to getting stronger, so I'm pretty sure I'm not where I should be powerwise when fighting these bosses.

by that fight, your strength or damage still matters less than skill and health. I think it was a little bit past her that my strength started to factor in more than my health. Once the enemys start moving faster than realistically possible, thats when your gonna want to kill them before they do they bullshit.

by that fight, your strength or damage still matters less than skill and health. I think it was a little bit past her that my strength started to factor in more than my health. Once the enemys start moving faster than realistically possible, thats when your gonna want to kill them before they do they bullshit.

When I talk about strength, I'm talking about overall level and capability, so health is included in that. My health is low to the point that most things either kill me in one or two hits. Strength does make a difference even at this point though. Not so much because the bosses have phases that are too difficult to deal with but because the longer a fight lasts, the more chance you have to lose. Right now I'm taking like 50-70 off per hit. Even when I'm destroying Rennala, it's a slog. The only thing that kinda helps me is that I'm using a katana so I get the blood penalties on her periodically.

When I talk about strength, I'm talking about overall level and capability, so health is included in that. My health is low to the point that most things either kill me in one or two hits. Strength does make a difference even at this point though. Not so much because the bosses have phases that are too difficult to deal with but because the longer a fight lasts, the more chance you have to lose. Right now I'm taking like 50-70 off per hit. Even when I'm destroying Rennala, it's a slog. The only thing that kinda helps me is that I'm using a katana so I get the blood penalties on her periodically.

whats your levels and build? her first phase is really just a gimmick. If you can get to the second one with little effort, then you shouldn't have much trouble.