Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION The Wire - A Hindsight Discussion

Cutty went through all of that run around and bureaucracy trying to do it the "right" way to open his gym, just to go to his drug dealer friend as a last ditch effort, and get the 10k plus extra like it wasn't a thing.

I know I'm not the only one who was happy Fruit got knocked off especially after he burned Cutty. I never forget when Cutty was talking to the boys on the corner and Fruit came out the store. Boy look like his heart fell into his ass. Lmao.

To answer your question, I actually enjoyed how "dated" the show was using pagers, pay phones and the early versions of cell phones. It made for character development.
I will say though the writing is top notch. I won't dispute anybody saying it's one of the greatest shows ever.
To be completely honest, I enjoyed the street shit way more than the other shit. Those scenes were tense and had consequences depending on a certain decision or things leading up to it. It was like watching live action chess.
Nobody really above that got hit with any real life shit except for Kima getting shot.
I was ___ this close to not finishing after like I think the 3rd or 4th episode of season one when Omar got introduced and it started with the "other shit". I was like here we go. Luckily he's so good of a character that his sexuality takes a backseat and morals/code are the highlight for him.

Reading you say that is another reminder of how great and timeless this show is bc it's exactly what i felt when i watched it then. It felt "real", you had smart cops and dumb cops, you had smart gangstas and dumb ones and you enjoy each for what they were.

A few of my favorite characters from the show in no order.
Avon - when he checked Marlo in prison. Had that boy looking like a #2. And when he looked out for Cutty when he was looking for money for the gym.
Slim Charles - when he rocked Cheese in regards to Prop Joe.
Omar - this dude got too many good scenes.
Daniels - every scene he's in was commanding.
Bubbles - was proud he got his happy ending.
Michael - "you look good, girl"
Lester - was one of my favorites until season 5.
Wee-Bey - him and his fish lol

Good list, but you can't leave Bodie off it IMO. Avon was a boss, and you got to see what that side looked like through characters like him, Stringer, Marlo, and Prop Joe. Bodie gave you the best understanding of what it was like for a normal street guy. That's an important part of the story.

Good list, but you can't leave Bodie off it IMO. Avon was a boss, and you got to see what that side looked like through characters like him, Stringer, Marlo, and Prop Joe. Bodie gave you the best understanding of what it was like for a normal street guy. That's an important part of the story.
Bodie was cool later on.
But I won't lie man I was mad at him for a long time for what he and Poot did to Wallace.
That shit was sad to watch man. Probably the one and only time I almost let one go.

Stringer's death scene was one of the most perfectly laid out scenes ever and a real metaphor for his character overall. At the end him being trapped in a corner after trying to outrun his ultimate ending and realizing he wasn't the smartest nigga in the room fit to a tee.

Stringer's death scene was one of the most perfectly laid out scenes ever and a real metaphor for his character overall. At the end him being trapped in a corner after trying to outrun his ultimate ending and realizing he wasn't the smartest nigga in the room fit to a tee.
I was watching some review and they was talking about how Omar and Brother Mouzone represented the two sides he was living.
Omar, someone who was entrenched in the game, was at eye level with him while the learned, "proper", tailored-suit wearing Brother Mouzone was standing above him.

Also how he used to tell everyone to lock the door and he couldn't escape that building because of a locked door

Bodie was cool later on.
But I won't lie man I was mad at him for a long time for what he and Poot did to Wallace.
That shit was sad to watch man. Probably the one and only time I almost let one go.

Yeah, but even that is part of why his character was so good. At that point he was naive. He thought that as bas as things like that were, if he paid his dues, the game would pay him back. As he grew he found out that he was wrong. Without characters like Bodie, the show wouldn't have been as grounded.

Yeah, but even that is part of why his character was so good. At that point he was naive. He thought that as bas as things like that were, if he paid his dues, the game would pay him back. As he grew he found out that he was wrong. Without characters like Bodie, the show wouldn't have been as grounded.
Oh don't get me wrong he was needed and played the part. It just took me awhile for him to get back in good graces.
I hold grudges with characters that do shit I don't like. Lol.

Bodie was cool later on.

They pretty much had Poot as the "class clown" of the crew. But he had his moments, like when he broke down the Lil' Kevin & Wallace situations to Bodie. When Bodie was only seeing it one way.

Bodie and Michael. Probably Bodie as my favorite character. What you said about 'normal street guy' is so on-point. GOAT show.

Reactions: GNS
I liked how Slim Charles watched and took everything in. I just wished Prop Joe really listened to him about what Marlo was up to.
They low key implied that Joe couldn’t/didn’t have kids .... he saw Marlo as a son

His main issue was thinking them Greek niggas gave a fuck about anything but money

True bro. The writers on this show were GOAT.

It's the acting too. It's basically that perfect combination of good writing and actors who know exactly what to do with it. The Wire was one of those shows where sometimes you forget the actors aren't the actual people. Michael K Williams has played like 5 well known roles since Omar, and people still call him Omar. lol

Back