Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official World Politics Thread

The money is all debt man which is why the US is operating at a debt to GDP ratio of over 100% which isn't good. The US has ran at higher deficits to GDP during the 40s and 50s and after the war just taxed the shit outta everyone to bring it down. Ironically enough during Obama's term he brought it down only for Trump to shoot it back up.

Thats all well and good. But that's the whole point that's being made.

When it comes to corporations.. even if its a bad idea economically.. these politicians still find a way to cut the check for these already rich corporations.

When the issue of reparations comes up every single T has to be crossed and every I needs to be dotted before even a conversation about it is even considered lol.

It's just silly to me.. and im not even one of those reparations or no vote cats

"The Trump administration is expected on Thursday to weaken regulations on the release of mercury and other toxic metals from oil and coal-fired power plants, another step toward rolling back health protections in the middle of a pandemic."

You can't make this shit up if you tried

What I always wonder is how come every rugged individual has to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and immediately
struggle and save to put away a 6 month Emergency Fund... or else they are shamed for being fiscally irresponsible.

Meanwhile corporations pay little to zero taxes, pay their workers extremely low wages, have $100s of billions in profit, often times - 2X that in revenue, access to up to $Trillions in capital via market cap / shares and/or loans ...

And somehow they STILL “NEED” $Billions in relief from the government IMMEDIATELY whenever a crisis hits.

- Where are these Corporations own emergency funds?

- Haven’t they been saving some of those historic profits?

- Have they not prepared enough cash to cover their employees for at least 6 mos in an emergency?

Why on Gods green earth would employers “have” to cut 80% of their workforce within weeks of a crisis?

Does a family throw their children out on the street in the first sign of a crisis?

On some - “What do you want me to do?”

“I had to take care of myself, right?”

Y’all got to help me understand

Last edited:
What I always wonder is how come every rugged individual has to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and immediately
struggle and save to put away a 6 month Emergency Fund... or else they are shamed for being fiscally irresponsible.

Meanwhile corporations pay little to zero taxes, pay their workers extremely low wages, have $100s of billions in profit, often times - 2X that in revenue, access to up to $Trillions in capital via market cap / shares and/or loans ...

And somehow they STILL “NEED” $Billions in relief from the government IMMEDIATELY whenever a crisis hits.

- Where are these Corporations own emergency funds?

- Haven’t they been saving some of those historic profits?

- Have they not prepared enough cash to cover their employees for at least 6 mos in an emergency?

Why on Gods green earth would employers “have” to cut 80% of their workforce within weeks of a crisis?

Does a family throw their children out on the street in the first sign of a crisis?

On some - “What do you want me to do?”

“I had to take care of myself, right?”

Y’all got to help me understand
@Sion
@DOS_patos

giphy-downsized-large.gif

^^^namely the airline industry for one

From a business standpoint I can see why airline A wont keep their employees on payroll if airline B won't do the same. They would shoot themselves in the foot to the advantage of their competitors for the sake of the bottom line/profits.

But when offered bailout, kick and scream that it's not enough though, as @Mr.LV noted, are running record number profits in the billions.

Shady capitalism or nah?

I know either of u know better than I do

This is why government regulation is needed. Government needs to mandate that businesses have to maintain 6 months of operating expenses in cash. If a business does not maintain that level of liquidity, they get no bailout in an economic emergency.

This is why government regulation is needed. Government needs to mandate that businesses have to maintain 6 months of operating expenses in cash. If a business does not maintain that level of liquidity, they get no bailout in an economic emergency.
Republicans would destroy that, that be too much bureaucracy for them

Will never happen and no they dont. In a perfect world all companies are financially sound and everyone has no debt. The nature of some businesses dont allow for it. Some businesses are more capital intensive than others and government doesn't want to be in the business of regulating how a business runs, they only want to intervene when absolutely necessary. Like check this, General Electric has hundreds of billions in debt and that's because they have a lot of subsidiaries and different businesses they also own a financing department (GE Capital). It is very very tough to maintain double the amount of assets to debt because A. it's hard to steer a big company like that, B. The operating costs are very high and C. Financial companies that take in loans have to be marked on their books as a liability (even tho banks have a trillion dollars in assets, those loans arent their money so they also owe a trillion dollars as well). Car manufacturers, airlines, energy companies, mining companies, etc. Any capital intensive industry likely can't keep up with that. It's not as easy as saying "well fix your profits and liquidity". Lastly noooo one can predict when a major pandemic is going to come to threaten American business.

Oil and gas companies would also be shit out of luck since they cant control the price of oil, are already hugely capital intensive and many are (or going to) report major losses based on where oil prices are because they themselves can't restructure fast enough to accommodate oil prices.

This is what makes my role as a financial advisor more challenging, I'm always looking for companies whose financial standing is strong and in good shape coupled with good management. Companies like that are few and far in between - let alone selling at a fair price.
What companies are?

Back