Welcome To aBlackWeb

Status
Not open for further replies.
People don't watch professional sports to support them. People watch sports to be entertained. The WNBA has been given a shot, and it's never really caught on among any demographic no matter what's been done to help it. Even now, the league is subsidized by the NBA, so you can't say no one is supporting it.

Women's tennis, women's track and field, women's soccer, and women's gymnastics all have decent followings. Even women's combat sports are flourishing to some extent. People just don't like the WNBA, and you can't fault people for not spending their money on something they don't like.

Many people , women included don't watch or like it just because it's a female sport. The thought or mindset is already set on its not entertaining because they are comparing what they see with how a man plays.

It's the mindset of human society.

Example: How many people watched women gymnastics versus male gymnastics?

Both are extremely entertaining. But most people are conditioned because of what society has told you . And it tells you it is more entertaining to watch women flip around than men.

Many are conditioned to see a sport played a certain way and are not open minded enough to be entertained because they are wanting what they watch to match or replicate something else.

Same for me, my experience is being in an environment where women sports were highly celebrated and supported ( people liked to watch). So my mindset is like why isn't everyone watching and enjoying this.

My desire is for the human collective to really appreciate the beauty of both men and women in all professional athletic endeavors.

Many people , women included don't watch or like it just because it's a female sport. The thought or mindset is already set on its not entertaining because they are comparing what they see with how a man plays.

Both are extremely entertaining. But most people are conditioned because of what society has told you . And it tells you it is more entertaining to watch women flip around than men.

Many are conditioned to see a sport played a certain way and are not open minded enough to be entertained because they are wanting what they watch to match or replicate something else.

Same for me, my experience is being in an environment where women sports were highly celebrated and supported ( people liked to watch). So my mindset is like why isn't everyone watching and enjoying this.

My desire is for the human collective to really appreciate the beauty of both men and women in all professional athletic endeavors.
The gap in talent and athletic ability between the NBA and WNBA is so wide it’s hard to be entertained by women’s basketball. When you see the likes of Jordan, Magic, Dr. J, Shaq, Kobe, KD, Kyrie, Steph, Vince Carter, Ja Morant, etc. play at the level they do, it’s hard to be entertained by women’s basketball.

The gap isn’t as wide in other sports so the women’s version is just as entertaining, if not more.

I get where you're coming from, but I respectfully disagree.

On the surface, men's and women's basketball might seem the same, but they aren't. Look at these videos:

Top 10 WNBA Plays of the Decade

Top 100 NBA Plays of 2021

Both videos were put out by their respective organizations. Compare what the WNBA considers to be its best plays from the past decade to what the NBA believes is the bottom 10 (100-90) of its best plays from last season alone. First of all, about half the NBA plays in that group will never even happen in the WNBA. But even when you look at comparable plays, the NBA versions happen faster with more explosiveness and, in the case of shots, typically from farther away from the goal. Again, this is the bottom 10 highlights for one year of NBA basketball vs the top 10 highlights for a whole decade of WNBA basketball. It's not just conditioning. The games are different, and people have valid reasons to prefer NBA basketball over WNBA basketball.

The gap in talent and athletic ability between the NBA and WNBA is so wide it’s hard to be entertained by women’s basketball. When you see the likes of Jordan, Magic, Dr. J, Shaq, Kobe, KD, Kyrie, Steph, Vince Carter, Ja Morant, etc. play at the level they do, it’s hard to be entertained by women’s basketball.

The gap isn’t as wide in other sports so the women’s version is just as entertaining, if not more.
You miss the point. Why are you comparing men and women sports. It's not supposed to look the same in my opinion. Women and men are different.

Like track and field for example. A woman running really fast is against other really fast women doesn't generate the same speed as alot of men. But it's still fun to watch.

I get where you're coming from, but I respectfully disagree.

On the surface, men's and women's basketball might seem the same, but they aren't. Look at these videos:

Top 10 WNBA Plays of the Decade

Top 100 NBA Plays of 2021

Both videos were put out by their respective organizations. Compare what the WNBA considers to be its best plays from the past decade to what the NBA believes is the bottom 10 (100-90) of its best plays from last season alone. First of all, about half the NBA plays in that group will never even happen in the WNBA. But even when you look at comparable plays, the NBA versions happen faster with more explosiveness and, in the case of shots, typically from farther away from the goal. Again, this is the bottom 10 highlights for one year of NBA basketball vs the top 10 highlights for a whole decade of WNBA basketball. It's not just conditioning. The games are different, and people have valid reasons to prefer NBA basketball over WNBA basketball.

Your comparing 😒. You want the wnba to be the same as the NBA. It's not going to look the same

Your comparing 😒. You want the wnba to be the same as the NBA. It's not going to look the same

That's the point though. Most people only watch the best version of a sport that's available. That's why the NBA and NFL and other major leagues don't worry much about competition. Anytime other leagues pop up, they tend to fail because most people don't want to watch those other versions when they can already watch the superior version.

Unfortunately, that's the problem with the WNBA. People see the game in the NBA, and as good as the WNBA players are, their game in general looks underwhelming in comparison, so people just stick with what they view to be the better product.

Great example

You miss the point. Why are you comparing men and women sports. It's not supposed to look the same in my opinion. Women and men are different.

Like track and field for example. A woman running really fast is against other really fast women doesn't generate the same speed as alot of men. But it's still fun to watch.
But they are playing the same sport, which is basketball. For your track example, women are still very fast. Usain holds the record for men in the 100 meters at 9.58 seconds. Flo Jo holds it for women at 10.49 seconds. The gap is not that large. If the gap was as large as that between NBA and WNBA, the fastest woman would have ran a 20 second 100 meter dash and that would seem very, very slow in comparison.

Great example
Not really. Women gymnastics are better because they are just better at it. Gymnastics takes a certain amount of grace to make the movements seem fluid yet powerful. Women are naturally more flexible as well which makes them better suited for gymnastics. They are also typically smaller which makes them better. If not, you’d have taller gymnasts even in the women ranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back