Welcome To aBlackWeb

Status
Not open for further replies.
You miss the point. Why are you comparing men and women sports. It's not supposed to look the same in my opinion. Women and men are different.

I think you answered your own question.

However, to your point.........to the general public...........it's just as much about how the sport is played as who's playing it.

Basically, most people prefer the way the sport looks when it's played by men.

They're not expecting women to play that way because they can't........since, like you said........men and women are different.

Therefore, unless you're talking about die-hard basketball fans who just love the sport for the sport itself........the majority is gonna be more drawn to men's basketball than women's basketball.

Now, I will say this.

For the first 20 or so years since the WNBA was created, the NBA did a horrible job of promoting it.

They've done a much better job promoting it over the past couple of years, and............maybe if they had promoted it like this from the beginning...........they might have been able to generate more interest in the league.

So we probably won't see the true results of their current marketing strategy until 10 or 20 years down the line.

Last edited:
That's the point though. Most people only watch the best version of a sport that's available. That's why the NBA and NFL and other major leagues don't worry much about competition. Anytime other leagues pop up, they tend to fail because most people don't want to watch those other versions when they can already watch the superior version.

Unfortunately, that's the problem with the WNBA. People see the game in the NBA, and as good as the WNBA players are, their game in general looks underwhelming in comparison, so people just stick with what they view to be the better product.
They've also had a monopoly on their respective sports by consolidating the very lack of competition you're referencing

Not really. Women gymnastics are better because they are just better at it. Gymnastics takes a certain amount of grace to make the movements seem fluid yet powerful. Women are naturally more flexible as well which makes them better suited for gymnastics. They are also typically smaller which makes them better. If not, you’d have taller gymnasts even in the women ranks.

Again my point your perception of "graceful" is set to be a 5"2 female. Many of the men performances are extremely gracefully.

And many 5"6 and above gymnasts are graceful and highly successful.

Had something typed, thought about it... Deleted it

~sighs in relief

They've also had a monopoly on their respective sports by consolidating the very lack of competition you're referencing

True, but that's not as relevant to this discussion. The WNBA probably has the best talent available, so that's not the reason it can't compete with the NBA. It really does just come down the difference in the games. In the NBA, you'll see a person do a crazy dunk on like three people from the other team or drain a 3 from like 5 ft beyond the arc. You're not going to see that in the WNBA, and that's going to turn some people away.

True, but that's not as relevant to this discussion. The WNBA probably has the best talent available, so that's not the reason it can't compete with the NBA. It really does just come down the difference in the games. In the NBA, you'll see a person do a crazy dunk on like three people from the other team or drain a 3 from like 5 ft beyond the arc. You're not going to see that in the WNBA, and that's going to turn some people away.
You brought it up though.

But let's not put the focus there. Women will never be able to do the high flying dunks men can do. Ok.

If that's the only reason people don't watch then they were never going to tune in no matter how much promoting the WNBA does

.....and women dont support the game enough...

I think you answered your own question.

However, to your point.........to the general public...........it's just as much about how the sport is played as who's playing it.

Basically, most people prefer the way the sport looks when it's played by men.

They're not expecting women to play that way because they can't........since, like you said........men and women are different.

Therefore, unless you're talking about die-hard basketball fans who just love the sport for the sport itself........the majority is gonna be more drawn to men's basketball than women's basketball.

Now, I will say this.

For the first 20 or so years since the WNBA was created, the NBA did a horrible job of promoting it.

They've done a much better job promoting it over the past couple of years, and............maybe if they had promoted it like this from the beginning...........they might have been able to generate more interest in the league.

So we probably won't see the true results of their current marketing strategy until 10 or 20 years down the line.

That preference is because the 1st introduction to something is often held as the only or better. Most people see male professional basketball players 1st. Most people see female gymnastics first.

That preference is because the 1st introduction to something is often held as the only or better. Most people see male professional basketball players 1st. Most people see female gymnastics first.

You keep saying that, but you don't really have any proof that's true.

Men's and women's gymnastics are different. You're assuming that people just choose whatever they see first instead of acknowledging the possibility that people just prefer what is highlighted in the women's version over the men's version. For example, IMO, the balance beam is the most impressive event. The men don't even do it. Women's gymnastics tends to highlight grace a little more, while men's gymnastics displays strength/power a little more. Either way, there are more valid reasons for why people might like one over the other than "they saw that one first."

You keep saying that, but you don't really have any proof that's true.

Men's and women's gymnastics are different. You're assuming that people just choose whatever they see first instead of acknowledging the possibility that people just prefer what is highlighted in the women's version over the men's version. For example, IMO, the balance beam is the most impressive event. The men don't even do it. Women's gymnastics tends to highlight grace a little more, while men's gymnastics displays strength/power a little more. Either way, there are more valid reasons for why people might like one over the other than "they saw that one first."

What did you see 1st growing up?

Men basketball(NBA) or Women's (WNBA)

Women's Gymnastics or Men's

What did you see 1st growing up?

Men basketball(NBA) or Women's (WNBA)

Women's Gymnastics or Men's
Womens gymnastics.. i dont think first is a factor it star power reconizability.. as for the dudes there is a name or two i think i know for the women since 92 they have had megastars and teams.

I dont think theyre is any correlation to wnba because when you think about it the each gymnastics events are like superbowl events overa 2 weeks or so stretch the dynamic is different

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back