Welcome To aBlackWeb

Ep. 9 was the finale, to me. Ep. 10 was like the "where have they been?" episode.
I thought that was pretty slick to end it this way.
Franklin becoming a junkie, living amongst them was a great full circle moment.
Greed got to him like a mothefucker. Mans hated his mom, that was wild.

Smh@ anyone thinking Franklin “can just get it together”

You didn’t see all that broken down stuff in the back yard? Dude was suffering from mental Illness along with beings drunkard. He was probably breaking that stuff down for scrap metal to sell

Mentally ill all cause hes breaking down shit to sell as scrap metal?

Around here thats called a crackhead

Solid finale. I dug it.

Show had its ups n downs. But i fux w it....tbh best finale since the americans.

Its been fun watchin this show over the last 6 years w yall niggas.

Its been real my tv watchin ppl...

richard-pryor-first-black-president.gif

btw if u go thru this thread from start to finish i had sum on the best hot takes in here during s2 n s3

Shout to my nigga @Loch121

“Nigga got smoked by a fiend.Tried to floss on ‘Em.Blind to a broken man’s dreams ,learned a hard lesson”

Ohhhhhhh Snow……. Fall

How did you land on that ending with Franklin basically destitute, virtually alone and drinking heavily?

Over the years, we had talked about versions of Franklin’s end. Part of it was maybe staying away from the expected thing of he’s dead or in jail. I kind of think if Franklin had stayed in the game, he probably would have ended up that way. But we saw he was really trying to make it work as a legitimate businessman. And then you start thinking about, “What is an end that’s befitting for a tragedy where a guy has destroyed his own neighborhood?” And you think, “Well, him being kind of condemned to live in a place that he has destroyed, the dramatic irony of that seems right.” And then you think of the totality of everything Franklin Saint’s been through in his life and the horrible things that he’s done, and you think that could very much break a guy, and you know he’s got the possibility of the alcohol gene from his father. He always hated and resented what his father was, and for him to become that very thing that he hated seemed like it was right.

In terms of the structure of the final season, the finale really centered around Franklin and his family and his community — the conflict with Teddy and the CIA ended in the previous episode, and Franklin got rid of the KGB at the beginning of this episode; the battle with Kane (DeVaughn Nixon) is over. How much of that was intentional to just focus on Franklin in that final episode?

It was completely intentional. Once we had Jerome’s (Amin Joseph) passing in [episode] six and a beat to be with that in [episode] seven, everyone really made their push in [episode] eight. And that really played out over [episode] nine with Cissy. And then it was really just about Franklin and who would he become now that the money was gone? Could he keep it together? Could he find reserves? Could he overcome his pride? Could he figure it out? Could he make it work? Unfortunately, I think his mother shooting Teddy just decimated him. I think the way she did it, he just couldn’t cope with it and he couldn’t recover.

We see a little bit of Louie in the finale where she’s on the run. What is life like for her after everything? Is she constantly on the run?

We wanted to communicate that she had to go to a distant place to get away to really try to escape and start over, to the extent that you’re able to, and also in short amount of time to communicate that this is not like she gets a happy ending, like, “Oh, she’s out on this ranch, and she’s working with horses. These people kind of look after her.” No, no, no, she’s wanted by the DEA. They have the picture. They’re always going to be after her. It’s not like they’re going to be out there every day searching, but if they get a tip or something turns up, they’re going to go after it. That’s the price she now pays. She’s going to live the rest of her life wanted, and whether or not they’ll actually catch up with her one day, let the audience decide.

And there were a few people who were able to step away from things, Oso and Wanda (Gail Bean) and Leon, even Veronique, in a sense. Why did you want them to be able to walk away from this and how much of a happy ending did they get?

One of our guiding lights for who was going to make it out was: The people who had taken stock of the things they’d done and tried to change their lives should get to make it out. And that’s really Leon, and even Oso was trying to get out. The real tragedy is Jerome who, at that last gasp, wants to get out but, of course, it’s too late. But it felt like you wanted there to be, for those people, a chance to go live a life. They get a chance to go forward and try to right the wrongs of their past. That felt important as well. Because the reality is it’s not just hopeless for everybody. But that was the guiding light for who gets a happier ending.

At the end, Franklin, despite his very visible decline, still seems to have his pride and he’s talking to Leon about being free. What do you think Franklin has learned throughout this whole experience?

I go back to the pilot with him and the scene with Melody (Reign Edwards) where he’s in Cho’s and she comes to see him and she’s kind of on him about what he’s doing and why he didn’t go to school and why he’s working at Cho’s, and like, what is it really he’s trying to do here? And he does talk to her about how he doesn’t want to be in the rat race; he doesn’t want to play the game their way; he’s going to try to do it his own way, no matter what that means. He wants freedom from all of it. He obviously doesn’t get where he wants; he doesn’t get what he wants. But he’s not playing the game their way. He’s still out there on his own terms. I don’t know if you asked Franklin at that point what he’d learned what he’d tell you. I think he’s still probably a little bit in denial. But he feels like he’s at least done it his way. He didn’t dance for anybody and he didn’t succumb in that way. That’s the only thing he has left to hold on to.

Back