OPINION Should college in the U.S. be free? Should college debt be forgiven?

Smh. Thread was on some positive shit until 11 minutes ago. Now we back to the bullshit.

• Coon
Reactions: Race Jones
I dont understand how you blame kids for this.

Society is literally built around telling kids to go to college. From a young ass age. And then once they turn 18 they are just automatically supposed to be smart enough to realize that either they dont need college or look at a community college instead etc.

Society literally beats college into your head, and then charges you 100k for it, which most have to take loans for, which the govt backs.

How do you look at that and not realize its a predatory system used to make rich people richer.

Now dont get me wrong. Im not a bleeding heart, kumbaya, lets all come together ass person. If mfers let me in on the scam, im saying fuck everyone and getting in there.

But heres the thing, none of us in there. This system aint benefiniting anyone of us. its taking advantage of people like us and some of us are like "well he had a choice"

His choice was influenced from the very begining. Thats why the shit is the definition of predatory.

Its the same shit when people get upset at Bernie saying there shouldnt be any billionaires and poor people get upset.

Its like bruh theres only a few hundred billionaires in America in total, fuck them. Why yall care about them? Let bernie tax them, it dont hurt yall. Stupid mfers man.

Same shit when AOC said peoples income after their first 10 million should get taxed at 70% and regular people got upset saying it wasnt fair. Like yo how many people do you know that make over 10 million a year? Its only a few thousand of them at most, fuck them. They dont give a fuck if shit is unfair to millions of us regular people, so why do yall care about shit being unfair to them?

Stupid.mother.fuckers

Last edited:

"Lyric Young’s financial experience in community college was luckier than most.

Yet she is now struggling to afford to continue her education at a public four-year college.

Young, who lives in Manhattan, was part of the City University of New York’s Accelerated Study in Associate Program, while she attended Borough of Manhattan Community College. Known as ASAP, the program covered her tuition, books and transportation during her time at BMCC.

The idea behind the program: If students’ college expenses are covered, they’ll be able to keep up their grades and complete their associate’s degree relatively quickly.

That was the case for Young, 21, who finished her associate’s degree in liberal arts in two years and one semester. “The only reason I had managed to go to community college in the first place was because there was that sense of security knowing that I would have my classes covered,” she said.

Though Young’s college costs were covered during that period and she lived at home, she still worked in retail and as a barista to make sure she had enough money to deal with a financial emergency and to help her family afford groceries and other costs..
."

Did you even read this shit???

That fuckin COMMUNITY COLLEGE cost more per credit than UNLV!!!
It's in Manhattan!!! One of the most expensive places to live ON THE FUCKING PLANET CALLED EARTH!!!
Someone living in one of the most expensive zip codes in the country is somehow too poor to go to community college in said zip code... But got all her shit paid for and somehow we're posta take a lesson from this???

Fuck

Outta

Here.

I randomly searched for colleges in Georgia, a state I know a lotta niggas are in. Athens Technical college charges $100 per credit hour.

$100 per fucking hour.

A quick glance and it turns out the community colleges in Georgia are affordable as fuck. I posted up about Maricopa CC in AZ on the IC some years ago and while the amount per-credit has gone up, the sentiment is still the same:

konceptjones said:
that's why I prefaced this by saying it's anecdotal. Not everyone will have the same experience, but doing something to put yourself ahead of the game is crucial and has been for decades. Despite what people say, community college ain't really that expensive when you take into account the bullshit that people are willing to blow their money on. I posted these numbers in another thread where I showed how much it costs per semester to attend community college in Detroit and Phoenix:

Tuition for Wayne County Community College is running $1358 per semester for 12 credit hours ($102/credit + fees)
Tuition for Maricopa Community College is running $852 per semester for 12 credit hours (71/credit+fees)

When you take an honest look at the spending habits of the average individual, you'll find that the average person blows far more than either amount on shit that does nothing to advance them in the job market. Take that money and put it to better use. In Phoenix, we're talking only $1704 a year towards an associates degree, less if you go there to learn a skilled trade! In one year you will blow more than that on a cellphone phone + service, Xbox/Playstation+games, expensive over priced clothes and shoes, weed (if you partake), and so many other wastes of money it's pathetic.

The problem I've found is that niggas expect to have a "lifestyle" while going to college. No, you're there to learn, the lifestyle comes later. You must sacrifice luxuries in order to better yourself and ain't none of these new niggas trying to hear that. Fuck that, work and get to where you want to be in life, the rest will come.

"Lyric Young’s financial experience in community college was luckier than most.

Yet she is now struggling to afford to continue her education at a public four-year college.

Young, who lives in Manhattan, was part of the City University of New York’s Accelerated Study in Associate Program, while she attended Borough of Manhattan Community College. Known as ASAP, the program covered her tuition, books and transportation during her time at BMCC.

The idea behind the program: If students’ college expenses are covered, they’ll be able to keep up their grades and complete their associate’s degree relatively quickly.

That was the case for Young, 21, who finished her associate’s degree in liberal arts in two years and one semester. “The only reason I had managed to go to community college in the first place was because there was that sense of security knowing that I would have my classes covered,” she said.

Though Young’s college costs were covered during that period and she lived at home, she still worked in retail and as a barista to make sure she had enough money to deal with a financial emergency and to help her family afford groceries and other costs..
."

Did you even read this shit???

That fuckin COMMUNITY COLLEGE cost more per credit than UNLV!!!
It's in Manhattan!!! One of the most expensive places to live ON THE FUCKING PLANET CALLED EARTH!!!
Someone living in one of the most expensive zip codes in the country is somehow too poor to go to community college in said zip code... But got all her shit paid for and somehow we're posta take a lesson from this???

Fuck

Outta

Here.

I randomly searched for colleges in Georgia, a state I know a lotta niggas are in. Athens Technical college charges $100 per credit hour.

$100 per fucking hour.

A quick glance and it turns out the community colleges in Georgia are affordable as fuck. I posted up about Maricopa CC in AZ on the IC some years ago and while the amount per-credit has gone up, the sentiment is still the same:

The problem I've found is that niggas expect to have a "lifestyle" while going to college. No, you're there to learn, the lifestyle comes later. You must sacrifice luxuries in order to better yourself and ain't none of these new niggas trying to hear that. Fuck that, work and get to where you want to be in life, the rest will come.

man summarize this shit

• Haha
Reactions: Dwayne

dont remember anyone worried about a lifestyle in college, the majority of us were broke and depended on a refund check or money from our parents every two weeks to survive

i know youre like 68, but times are way different

predictable

really Race? I'm predictable??? You posted an article about how community colleges are not affordable and in the opening of the article it talks about a girl that lives in one of the most expensive places and got her associates a community college more expensive than some major universities AND she did it without paying for any part of it.

Clearly you ain't even read the article 'cause if you had you would have realized that the opening is completely counter to any point that could be made.

bruh... That's literally what I said. Start small at a CC taking classes that will transfer, save your money, and go to a university when the time comes.

At the same time some, not all, but some CC's have viable associates programs that can get you a decent paying job out the gate. I don't know what field you're in that required a bachelors just to get an interview, but that's some bullshit.
I agree that now you can do this

I actually encourage it if you can, but I'm talking about for those who have already gone to college and gotten degrees with debt to go with it

CC have had to do a ton of work over the last two decades to erase the stigma that was tied to them early on that they were for kids who weren't smart enough to get into the state schools.

And they have also worked very hard with their accreditation so that kids can feel comfortable with getting degrees from them

state schools arent affordable for ppl that even live there Thor. WHATS NOT CONNECTING? thats why student loan debt is at a all time high.

you think everyone chooses an out of state school? lmao
I couldn't even afford to go to LSU out of pocket

If I didn't get the state's scholarship they offer, I would've had to come out of pocket for everything for the school I actually chose

My loan amount isn't as bad as most Americans. I just don't like the fact I owe people but I also have a home so... Yeah lol

There’s ways to make your college experience affordable if you take the time to research it....

Reactions: konceptjones
I agree that now you can do this

I actually encourage it if you can, but I'm talking about for those who have already gone to college and gotten degrees with debt to go with it

CC have had to do a ton of work over the last two decades to erase the stigma that was tied to them early on that they were for kids who weren't smart enough to get into the state schools.

And they have also worked very hard with their accreditation so that kids can feel comfortable with getting degrees from them

The issue, I think, is that in the past people would just take random ass classes at a CC and then get bewildered when those credits didn't transfer. They got a bad rep 'cause counselors rarely worked with the students properly to chart their paths so if the intent was to transfer, you could do it without issue.

I had to do my homework to make sure the credits transferred to a state university. I went to Wayne County CC from spring of '91 to spring of '93 and every single credit transferred because I made sure to pick classes that would transfer whenever I went back to EMU.

I know the same can't be said about everywhere, and I do know the schools have been getting better over the years, so in this day and age there's really no excuse not to go to a CC if you can't afford a state university.

Reactions: AP2.5
really Race? I'm predictable??? You posted an article about how community colleges are not affordable and in the opening of the article it talks about a girl that lives in one of the most expensive places and got her associates a community college more expensive than some major universities AND she did it without paying for any part of it.

Clearly you ain't even read the article 'cause if you had you would have realized that the opening is completely counter to any point that could be made.

i read the article sir. the only way she was able to attend community college because she was enrolled into a special program which covered her college expenses.

she has since gone on to further her education and it is now struggling financially even as a NY resident.

“Young, meanwhile, is now a student at City College, a public four-year school in New York City, Young’s financial calculus has become even more complicated. Her financial aid isn’t enough to cover her total cost and she has an outstanding balance at the school that she estimates is between $4,000 and 5,000 for three semesters at the school (one which starts in the fall)”

Reactions: SeaSnake
ppl complain and complain about crime and never think constructively about ways to reduce it. you can solve a lot of problems in society by simply making education affordable. you can cut out a lot of madness by affording ppl opportunities for socioeconomic mobility/advancement and ensuring them a quality education.

Last edited: