Welcome To aBlackWeb

Official Wrestling News Thread

I give my opinion just like y'all give yours, anything this dude does y'all champion like it's wrestling biggest gift
Getting ROH library is kinda a big deal if thry going to HBO Max. Hell Vince wanted it and if they got it im sure folks would of been hyped as well too for Peacock. Just seems you hate watching a product like folks say Shenco do. If thats the gimmick i get it.

Getting ROH library is kinda a big deal if thry going to HBO Max. Hell Vince wanted it and if they got it im sure folks would of been hyped as well too for Peacock. Just seems you hate watching a product like folks say Shenco do. If thats the gimmick i get it.
I shit on WWE just as much as I shit on AEW, both companies are pretty damn bad the last year but y'all only have an issue when I do it to the darling AEW

I shit on WWE just as much as I shit on AEW, both companies are pretty damn bad the last year but y'all only have an issue when I do it to the darling AEW
Well you on a hell of a roll. I was just about to type you going hit the "I shit on __ just as much line. I get the gimmick. But just look at your past months post in here. Its no issue shitting on something but its like you said in another movie thread why watch if your just going to complain 99% of the time.

Same shit Shenco do.

I think there's value if they're heading towards a streaming platform, as WWE has proven, content is king in streaming. But that's also why it would be more valuable to WWE, as another avenue to complete their portfolio.

AEW can buoy this transactions by purchasing IMPACT's library too. Then there'd start setting themselves up as a viable streaming alternative to WWE. Khan is still getting a bad reputation for over-promising and underdeliving at the least.

Be wild if Vince in some fantasy circumstance bought AEW down the line if shit went south and got their library and ROH for a 2 for 1.

AEW President Tony Khan just announced live on Dynamite that he has purchased Ring of Honor Wrestling from Sinclair Broadcast Group.

Sinclair, facing heavy financial losses due to a number of factors including the COVID-19 pandemic, opted to place ROH on a hiatus in December 2021 with the idea of returning to action this April with Supercard of Honor 2022. By selling off the company to Khan and AEW instead of continuing to operate the promotion on what one would assume was a reduced budget, Sinclair instead takes an entire division off their books (which are not in a great place based on their most recent quarterly earnings report), bringing in revenue for the sale.

So, instead of the promised re-imagining of ROH, Khan will steer the promotion that was the spiritual predecessor of both AEW and the Triple H-led version of WWE NXT. Going forward, Khan would have pretty much a blank slate to conjure the next chapter as most of ROH's contracted talents had their deals expire at the end of 2021 with the remaining slated to expire at the end of this March.

So, if Khan wishes to retain anyone from the Ring of Honor roster, he would have to go and sign them to new deals. ROH Champion Jonathan Gresham, who is slated to wrestle Bandido in the main event of the 4/1 Supercard of Honor PPV, was backstage at AEW's recent taping in Bridgeport, CT. Tag Champions The Briscoes, Pure Champion Josh Woods, TV Champion Rhett Titus and Six Man Tag Team Champions The Righteous are all free and clear contractually. The ROH Women's World Champion is currently Deonna Purrazzo, but she's just a phone call away via Impact Wrestling management.

Among a number of ROH talents who had been part of the roster at 2021, there had been frustration over a lack of communication from management advising them whether they would be booked going forward for the 4/1 Supercard of Honor or beyond. This announcement explains that silence, at least in part. Based on feedback from multiple ROH wrestlers who were working for the company last year (as my cell phone exploded with texts), none seemed to be aware (or would admit they were aware) that this was going to be announced..

There had been rumors of Sinclair looking to unload ROH going back to before the COVID-19 pandemic, but nothing was ever truly substantiated beyond whispers of potential sales discussions, which were routinely shot down by Joe Koff when asked for comment. There were at least preliminary conversations with WWE several years ago, according to sources in WWE familiar with the matter, but the terms were never right for each party and nothing ever came of the discussions.

With the sale of Ring of Honor, Khan would obviously acquire the entire ROH video library, which dates back to the company's debut in February 2002 and would also include the All In PPV, which ended up pretty much being the "proof of concept" event for AEW. If and when Khan decides to launch a streaming service or license his content out to a third party streaming service, the ROH library greatly enriches the overall AEW library well beyond what they have produced since 2019 when AEW was founded.
Sinclair purchased Ring of Honor in May 2011 from previous owner Cary Silkin, who self-financed the promotion off the success of his ticketing company. Silkin has since been the company's official Ambassador and one would hope he would continue on in some form of that role going forward.
One would think the sale is a bittersweet moment for ROH COO Joe Koff, who truly loved the promotion and relished overseeing it. There is no word what this means for the ROH office in Baltimore and whether they would be assimilated into other areas of Sinclair Broadcast Group.

Given the large amount of talents under contract to AEW, it makes the most logical sense that Ring of Honor continue on as a separate entity. Khan's speech certainly made it clear that ROH is still a thing going forward, not that this was a sale to grab the library assets. A number of AEW stars, including CM Punk, Brian Danielson, Jay Lethal, Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian and many more have ties back to ROH's earliest days and could always appear for the promotion in some fashion.

Tonight's AEW Dynamite opened with two-thirds of the original ROH main event, Bryan Danielson vs. Christopher Daniels (Low Ki was the missing third competitor), so already AEW is peppering ROH history into their TV series. AEW could easily populate Ring of Honor with contracted AEW talents who are underutilized and not featured regularly on Dynamite or Rampage, giving them a "home" and then accentuate those competitors with former ROH alumni that AEW wants to retain. They could also convert one of the AEW Dark series into a Ring of Honor branded show or try to sell a separate brand to Warner Media.
There is no word yet whether Hunter "Delirious" Johnston would remain on as booker, whether Tony Khan would take over the creative or if someone from AEW or beyond could be tapped in that role. Over the course of ROH history, only four men have held that creative pencil - Gabe Sapolsky, Johnston, Jim Cornette and Adam Pearce.

There is no also word yet whether the sale would include AEW receiving the ROH time slots on Sinclair Broadcast Group affiliates, CHARGE, Stadium, The New England Sports Network, etc. Khan stated the purchase took place today, so it's possible such things have not been fully worked out.

As I wrote back in December 2021 around ROH's Final Battle PPV, the Ring of Honor everyone knew ended with that event. Today's announcement simply drops a giantexclamation point at the end of that statement. ROH will live on, but it will never, ever be the promotion it once was. As I have written before, ROH was meant to be many things, but stagnant was not one of them. This may provide the much-needed boost and electric shock to get the ROH motor purring again in a way it may never have been able to accomplish under Sinclair.

ROH has a 4/1 Supercard of Honor PPV as well as a 4/10 TV Taping in Philadelphia at the 2300 Arena on the schedule currently. Whether either of those take place - or take place as originally envisioned - remains to be seen.

With this new chapter in ROH history announced, it should be noted there are two forthcoming books that will catch the attention of ROH fans in the works. Jonathan Snowden, who penned the excellent Ken Shamrock book that was released in May 2020, is teaming with former ROH and current AEW staffer Shane Hagadorn to write a book about the history and legacy of the promotion. Ring of Honor Ambassador and former owner Cary Silkin has been working on a memoir about his life in ROH and beyond that is expected to be released within the next year as well. Silkin has been working on that project for a long time.

As for AEW, they have a slew of shows this week and now also get fans to wonder which, if any, ROH alumni are going to show up as the company heads towards the 2022 Revolution PPV in Orlando, Florida.
PWInsider.com will continue to follow the story and update as needed.

Would of been a good time for Roderick Strong aka Mr. ROH to have been a free agent to use for a tribute match.

Vince paid 4.2 mil for WCW and it's library while Khan paid 30-40 mil for ROH, talk about over paying

Last edited:
Can we wait to see why he paid that much for it? Were the TV deals that ROH has included? You do realize that WCWs tv deals weren’t included in the deal that Vince made in 2001. FYI Bischoffs group was gonna pay $60-$70 million for WCW had that deal gone through and that included TV time as well

As the dust settles on Tony Khan's acquisition of Ring of Honor, there are a lot of people asking a lot of questions. At this juncture, we have no foresight into if and when he will run additional ROH shows, whether the announced PPV and TV taping in Dallas and Philadelphia will still happen and even whether the existing ROH TV will continue to air where it currently exists weekly. These are all things to be ironed out in the days ahead, so while we have gotten a number of emails asking for clarification, while I could be wrong, I honestly don't believe those finer points have had a chance to be worked out yet.

What we are hearing is the following:

Yesterday, the Ring of Honor side was still working on production for the TV show and the forthcoming events and the word making the rounds in that circle was that there were discussions but the deal wasn't done. That changed very late in the day. How late we don't know, but one person believed it could have been as late as 6 PM EST. So, while the two sides had been negotiating for at least a few weeks, the official deal was indeed closed yesterday, as Tony Khan said in the ring on Dynamite. Prior to that point, there was a small circle in AEW who were aware of the discussions and believed it to be a done deal well before that.

The ROH announcements for Supercard of Honor and the TV taping in Philly were made independent of the AEW side and were put into motion before the sale was announced. That was all pre-Tony Khan, so whether any of that takes place as originally envisioned remains to be seen.

The announcement that AEW would be returning to Baltimore and running The UMBC Event Center instead of the Royal Farms Arena has zero to do with the ROH acquisition. AEW is running UMBC because the Royal Farms Arena is in the process of undergoing extensive renovations. We've had some readers ask if the sale was a cause and effect leading to AEW running that venue. It has nothing to do with yesterday's announcement.

PWInsider.com can also exclusively confirm there had been WWE interest in purchasing Ring of Honor when the company's hiatus was announced last year. The two sides had entered into discussions in December but for some reason, the talks ended without an official deal being made. This would not have been the first time the two sides had some sort of communication about the idea of WWE buying the promotion and library, as there had been previous talks when Paul Levesque was in power. In the end, Khan stepped in and was able to strike a deal. I can confirm there were some in WWE who were legitimately shocked when the announcement happened, as they believed the announcement was going to be that AEW had come to terms with HBO Max for a streaming deal.

What if this sale didn't happen? ROH going forward under Sinclair would have been operated on a much smaller scale than previously seen. The plan going into and coming out of Supercard of Honor was to have a small, select group of talents under contract for a short term basis to have main eventers locked in for x amount of dates to headline the shows. So, if the Briscoes vs. The OGK was the main event feud, for example, they would have been offered deals to keep them locked in for the duration of that story. Underneath, it would have been a model similar to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla where ROH would have booked the best talents available and encouraged them to go all out with the best performances possible without locking them in to any deals. There were zero plans to go and sign an entire roster again in the near future as the ROH budget had been greatly slashed going forward thanks to all the Sinclair financial issues. That wasn't expected to change anytime soon.

On the ROH side, the sale was described as "bittersweet" as it felt this was the right thing for the long-term viability of Ring of Honor itself but there were a lot of people who truly loved working on the promotion who were extremely saddened to see this chapter end, although the reality is, the chapter truly, actually ended last December.

ROH ain't worth no 30-40 million. Maybe they recoup if the library adds value to a the streaming deal, I dont know that we will ever be privy to that though.

If DVDs were still popping, I think itd be a better circumstance to fill out career retrospectives for the guys that passed through. But short of that it seems like an overpay for what they can get out of the digital rights and the name.

Back