Welcome To aBlackWeb

Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Added to Calendar: 05-18-24

Who Wins Tonight?

• Tank Davis

• Frank Martin

Results are only viewable after voting.
That’s not what he said it at all...like not even a little bit was that his message

There’s rumors Andre Ward taking some time to get his body right to possibly go all the way up to HW
Andre Ward say he getting that Creed and Contender money, he ain’t thinking bout Bellew..

https://www.boxingscene.com/golden-boy-diaz-admits-ryan-garcia-not-ready-title-shot--127890

Golden Boy's Diaz Admits: Ryan Garcia Not Ready For Title Shot
By Keith Idec, photo by Tom Hogan

CARSON, California – Robert Diaz was nervous before Ryan Garcia’s fight Friday night.

Golden Boy Promotions’ matchmaker is very familiar with Jayson Velez because he was once one of the company’s fighters. Diaz knew Velez would give Garcia the rounds he desperately needed against an experienced opponent who wouldn’t just fall down after the first few times Garcia hit him.

Diaz, Golden Boy founder Oscar De La Hoya and Golden Boy president Eric Gomez were anxious to see how Garcia would react once an opponent took him into a second half of a fight. They were pleased overall by what Garcia gained from going 10 rounds for the first time, but Diaz admitted after Garcia beat Velez by unanimous decision in a fight ESPN2 televised from StubHub Center that their emerging 19-year-old contender isn’t quite ready for a title shot.

Garcia (15-0, 13 KOs) hasn’t been shy on social media about calling out 130-pound champions, most notably unbeaten Baltimore knockout artist Gervonta Davis (20-0, 19 KOs). Diaz doesn’t want to rush Garcia into anything remotely that challenging just yet and acknowledged that Golden Boy could “step him down” in competition for his next fight.

“If he would’ve knocked out Jayson Velez in three or four rounds,” Diaz said, “like he’s been doing the other opponents, who have been opponents, I would’ve said, ‘At the end of the year, let’s go for a world title. He’s that ready.’ He has the experience from the amateurs. [Friday night], I saw things that we need to work on and gradually get there. There’s no rush. I don’t wanna rush him into something.

“I want him, when he fights for the world title, to win the world title. He’s not ready. He’s 19 years old. At 20 years old, physically, he’s gonna get more mature. At 21, with the experience, with the fights and gradually getting him there, he’ll be ready.”

Before Friday night, Garcia had boxed beyond the fourth round in only one of his first 14 professional fights. His punch output remained steady throughout this bout, though, and Garcia demonstrated stamina by firing power punches at Velez right up until the final bell.

Diaz would’ve liked to have seen the fast-handed, strong Garcia throw more combinations and use his job more consistently against Puerto Rico’s Velez (26-5-1, 18 KOs). The Victorville, California, native showed some defensive vulnerabilities as well, but Diaz considered this an invaluable learning experience versus a veteran who has never been knocked out.

“Jayson Velez is coming off a very good win over JuanMa Lopez,” Diaz said of Velez’s 12th-round stoppage of Lopez on March 3. “Regardless of how faded or what, [Lopez is] a former world champion. Velez, he was a Golden Boy fighter. A clean fighter, comes forward, could take a punch, had never been knocked out. … I was nervous because the first thing that happens is if Ryan would’ve lost [Friday night], ‘Oh, Golden Boy pushed him too quick.’ And if Ryan would’ve knocked him out in the first round, ‘Oh, they put him in with another bum.’ So if he would’ve lost, [there would’ve been] criticism of Golden Boy and the matchmaker not knowing how to grow a fighter and moving him too fast. And they always say, ‘Oh, they put him in with another bum.’ They forget, he’s 19 years old.

“But I knew Jayson Velez, because he fought Jo Diaz and Alvarado, he fought for me for three or four years. I knew he couldn’t get knocked out in one or two rounds. And I said, ‘If it goes the distance, it’s great because it’s valuable experience,’ which he got [Friday night]. He got hit on the chin a couple times, he went 10 rounds, which a lot of people didn’t think he could go because he’s gonna get tired. And he learned a lot.”

Uh he was going to fight the second best again.. what the fuck man. and all them cats getting washed if they get in the ring. including Canelo and he whipping all they asses too. but for entertainment sake id love to see him fight a few of them cats too..

I dont know about him washing and whipping they asses, he aint wash Canelo or Jacobs. All im saying is outside of those 2 since I started hearing about him around Ouma and Rosado I cant remember anybody that made me think it would be a good fight. .... I take that back Curtis Stevens was talking that shit which made it interesting but this dude who was talking that 154-168, he will dog andre ward shit blah blah. And you think Canelo the 2nd best at 160?

Tank ain’t no world beater though. Farmer should whip on Billy Dib fairly easy to get the title and then a unification between those two will give a clearer view of Tank as a fighter.

He doing whatever he want in the ring right now

Yea I really wanna see that fight, even tho I only saw tevin fight that Asian kid. I like the bad blood they have

Who's next for Jermell Charlo
Super Welterweight/Jr. Middleweight (154 lbs)
WBC WBA IBF WBO
Jermell Charlo Jarrett Hurd
Brian Carlos Castano Jarrett Hurd Sadam Ali
1. Vanes Martirosyan 1. Michel Soro 1. Julian Williams 1. Liam Smith
2. Julian Williams 2. Kanat Islam 2. Takeshi Inoue 2. Dennis Hogan
3. Erislandy Lara 3. Kell Brook 3. Kanat Slam 3. Julian Williams
4. Kell Brook 4. Erislandy Lara 4. Dennis Hogan 4. Jaime Munguia
5. Sergio Garcia 5. Carlos Adames 5. Erislandy Lara 5. Brandon Cook

Who's next for Jermell Charlo
Super Welterweight/Jr. Middleweight (154 lbs)
WBC WBA IBF WBO
Jermell Charlo Jarrett Hurd
Brian Carlos Castano Jarrett Hurd Sadam Ali
1. Vanes Martirosyan 1. Michel Soro 1. Julian Williams 1. Liam Smith
2. Julian Williams 2. Kanat Islam 2. Takeshi Inoue 2. Dennis Hogan
3. Erislandy Lara 3. Kell Brook 3. Kanat Slam 3. Julian Williams
4. Kell Brook 4. Erislandy Lara 4. Dennis Hogan 4. Jaime Munguia
5. Sergio Garcia 5. Carlos Adames 5. Erislandy Lara 5. Brandon Cook

That nigga Charlo options not looking too good competition wise IMO.

Back