Welcome To aBlackWeb

Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Added to Calendar: 05-18-24

Who Wins Tonight?

• Tank Davis

• Frank Martin

Results are only viewable after voting.
Care to elaborate on that?

The Cancelation of the Canelo fight even thot not GGG fault, has also exposed him. If u look at how GGG got his belts for one they werent against great opponents. Now GGG doesnt have Canelo, why doesnt he fight is number 1 ibf contender ? Who was ready to step in. In the past GGG has been happy to face the number 1 contenders like wade etc etc. He is about to fight a 154 fighter who has been off for 1 year and coming off a L. Not respecting it.

word, he tryna get away with a trash fight, ibf threatened to take his strap, i jsut got a new alert, i'll post the article in a second

ESPN.com: Boxing [Print without images]
espn.gif

Wednesday, April 18, 2018
Gennady Golovkin will face Vanes Martirosyan May 5
By Dan Rafael

From the moment unified middleweight world champion Gennady Golovkin's rematch with Canelo Alvarez was canceled on April 3, he vigorously and repeatedly maintained that he still wanted to fight on May 5 even though it meant a significant reduction in his purse.

Getting the logistics worked out was complicated and difficult, but GGG will get his wish. Instead of facing Alvarez on HBO PPV at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas in one of the year's biggest boxing events, Golovkin will instead attempt to tie Bernard Hopkins' division record of 20 consecutive title defense against late substitute Vanes Martirosyan on HBO (11 p.m. ET/PT) at the StubHub Center in Carson, California, Golovkin promoter Tom Loeffler announced on Wednesday morning.

r85279_600x400_3-2.jpg

Vanes Martirosyan, left, has not fought since May of 2016 when he dropped a unanimous decision to Erislandy Lara in a junior middleweight title bout.
Official word of Golovkin-Martirosyan, in the works for the past couple of weeks between Loeffler and Martirosyan promoter Don King, came just an hour before Alvarez was due to have a hearing with the Nevada State Athletic Commission over two failed drug tests in February for the banned performance-enhancing drug clenbuterol that caused the rematch of his controversial draw with Golovkin last September to be canceled.

But the show will go on and Golovkin (37-0-1, 33 KOs), who has trained through the uncertainty of whether he would fight, couldn't be happier.

"Vanes Martirosyan is now the most important fight of my career," said Golovkin, who will have live HBO fight for the first time since 2016 because his past two bouts have been on pay-per-view. "He has my respect and I am training hard to defend my titles against him. I am happy to be back on HBO and fighting at StubHub Center because they have great boxing fans. I will give my fans another big drama show."

Abel Sanchez, Golovkin's trainer, was also happy that his star fighter did not have to waste a training camp and will indeed get to fight.

"Gennady has had such a terrific training camp in Big Bear (Lake, California). It wouldn't be fair to him to let it go to waste just because Canelo was being punished," Sanchez said. "Gennady is going to light up Cinco De Mayo as only a true Mexican-style fighter can. I can't wait to unleash him."

Martirosyan (36-3-1, 21 KOs), 31, a 2004 U.S. Olympian from Glendale, California, is getting the title shot without having done anything to earn it but Loeffler was desperate to save Golovkin's fight date. Martirosyan, who got the fight after fringe Irish contender Gary "Spike" O'Sullivan turned down an offer, is coming off a loss; he has not boxed in two years; he is a junior middleweight who is 0-2 in world title fights; and now he is moving up in weight to face one of the most fearsome fighters in the sport.

"Vanes Martirosyan brings a passionate Armenian fan base from nearby Glendale and an aggressive style of fighting," Loeffler said. "Best of all, he is ready and wants the fight. Golovkin versus Martirosyan will definitely be the fiesta de résistance of Cinco De Mayo."

While Golovkin will defend his WBA and WBC titles in the fight, he faces the prospect of being stripped by the IBF, which deems Martirosyan unworthy of challenging for the title, has declined to sanction the fight, though Loeffler plans to file for an exception, which could be granted.

Golovkin, 36, a Kazakhstan native fighting out of Santa Monica, California, will be fighting at the StubHub Center for the second time. In October 2014, he destroyed Marco Antonio Rubio there in the second round before a stadium record-crowd of 9,323. Loeffler hopes for a similar crowd despite the short notice.

"We are adding extra bleachers to accommodate the demand from Gennady's fans. We are prepared for Gennady to break his own StubHub Center attendance record for a boxing event, which he set in 2014," Loeffler said. "When you think about all the great champions and exciting world title fights StubHub has hosted, that's quite an accomplishment."

The Cancelation of the Canelo fight even thot not GGG fault, has also exposed him. If u look at how GGG got his belts for one they werent against great opponents. Now GGG doesnt have Canelo, why doesnt he fight is number 1 ibf contender ? Who was ready to step in. In the past GGG has been happy to face the number 1 contenders like wade etc etc. He is about to fight a 154 fighter who has been off for 1 year and coming off a L. Not respecting it.

I'm not even a big GGG fan but I try my best to see things for what they really are. No fighter in history has said oh a bum has the belt I ain't going to fight for that belt until somebody great has that belt. You win the belt and try to fight best people who are willing to fight you. For years the best people at 160 ducked GGG whether is because of how good they thought he was or because they felt it didn't pay enough. Either way GGG was ducked for YEARS. You do know that damn near every belt Cotto ever won was a vacant belt?

Now on to the current shit. GGG is 36 yrs old and was training to fight a specific fighter with a specific style. Now you want that man on 2 weeks notice to fight a young dude who supposedly can fight but has a completely different style than what he had been preparing for 6 weeks already. That means a whole new game plan and finding quality sparring for that style for only 1 week cause damn near nobody spars 1 week before the fight.

I don't agree with GGG trying to Vanes either and thats a bullshit fight. I really don't have a problem not fight Sergei dude either. That shit makes no sense for him to do that. No champion in their right mind would take that fight. Ali ducked NO ONE and I'm of the opinion that he wouldn't take a fight like that on 2 weeks notice.

I'm not even a big GGG fan but I try my best to see things for what they really are. No fighter in history has said oh a bum has the belt I ain't going to fight for that belt until somebody great has that belt. You win the belt and try to fight best people who are willing to fight you. For years the best people at 160 ducked GGG whether is because of how good they thought he was or because they felt it didn't pay enough. Either way GGG was ducked for YEARS. You do know that damn near every belt Cotto ever won was a vacant belt?

Now on to the current shit. GGG is 36 yrs old and was training to fight a specific fighter with a specific style. Now you want that man on 2 weeks notice to fight a young dude who supposedly can fight but has a completely different style than what he had been preparing for 6 weeks already. That means a whole new game plan and finding quality sparring for that style for only 1 week cause damn near nobody spars 1 week before the fight.

I don't agree with GGG trying to Vanes either and thats a bullshit fight. I really don't have a problem not fight Sergei dude either. That shit makes no sense for him to do that. No champion in their right mind would take that fight. Ali ducked NO ONE and I'm of the opinion that he wouldn't take a fight like that on 2 weeks notice.

GGG said himself he want to be unified. Then unify . Also 2 weeks notice, cool then postpone the fight until u are ready for andrade , charlo, or Jacobs etc. Dont fight vanez. Also a couple years ago GGG wasnt ducked there just werent any opponents ready. He was like i will fight anyone from 154 to 168. Until the name andre ward was mentioned.

April 19
At San Juan, Puerto Rico (ESPN2/ESPN Deportes):

Lamont Roach Jr. vs. Orlando Cruz, 10 rounds, junior lightweights
Jose Lopez vs. Miguel Gonzalez, 10 rounds, lightweights
Magdiel Cotto vs. Elie Augustama, 8 rounds, middleweights
Luis Hernandez vs. Juan Abreu, 10 rounds, welterweights
Daniel Zorilla vs. Jimmy Rosario, 6 rounds, junior welterweights
Carlos Caraballo vs. Antonio Rodriguez, 6 rounds, junior featherweights
Bryan Chevalier vs. Luis Diaz, 6 rounds, junior lightweights
Alfredo Mejias vs. Edgardo Marin, 6 rounds, middleweights
Jean Rivera vs. Jonathan Delgado, 4 rounds, junior welterweights
upload_2018-4-18_12-37-33.png

GGG said himself he want to be unified. Then unify . Also 2 weeks notice, cool then postpone the fight until u are ready for andrade , charlo, or Jacobs etc. Dont fight vanez. Also a couple years ago GGG wasnt ducked there just werent any opponents ready. He was like i will fight anyone from 154 to 168. Until the name andre ward was mentioned.

GGG doesn't want to postpone the fight cause he still want to stay on a schedule to fight Canelo in Sept. I respect the move to stay on that schedule but I don't respect him trying to fight Vanes. GGG could find a better stay busy opponent than Vanes.

Charlo just moved to 160 and hasn't even fought anybody of note at 160 to show what he can really do or not do at the new weight. All those folks you saying wasn't ready for GGG then would've fought Canelo within that same time frame that they wouldn't fight GGG. So they were ducking GGG IMO.

I agree GGG ducked Ward.

I think so. I don't see Vegas suspending Canelo for a year and losing the money he brings to the city.
DanRaf referenced it

That was a quick hearing. The Nevada State Athletic Commission and Canelo Alvarez's team reached an adjudication agreement before Wednesday's hearing and it was adopted unanimously (5-0) by the commission: Canelo gets a one-year suspension, but because he has cooperated it is suspended to six months, as per the commission rules allow. He will eligible to fight Aug. 17, six months from the date of his first positive test. This means he can fight a rematch with middleweight world champion Gennady Golovkin in September assuming GGG defeats substitute opponent Vanes Martirosyan on May 5.

GGG doesn't want to postpone the fight cause he still want to stay on a schedule to fight Canelo in Sept. I respect the move to stay on that schedule but I don't respect him trying to fight Vanes. GGG could find a better stay busy opponent than Vanes.

Charlo just moved to 160 and hasn't even fought anybody of note at 160 to show what he can really do or not do at the new weight. All those folks you saying wasn't ready for GGG then would've fought Canelo within that same time frame that they wouldn't fight GGG. So they were ducking GGG IMO.

I agree GGG ducked Ward.

His IBF Number 1 contender is ready to fight right now. He was fight Canelo so why not fight his number 1 contender unless he thinks he is tougher than Canelo. GGG is finessing the system. Listen to the interview and sums up all my points

His IBF Number 1 contender is ready to fight right now. He was fight Canelo so why not fight his number 1 contender unless he thinks he is tougher than Canelo. GGG is finessing the system. Listen to the interview and sums up all my points

No champion in boxing would switch opponents like on a 2 weeks notice. Then they want him to Andrade who a southpaw when he preparing for a right handed Canelo.

Like I said they have some points but they also talking a lot of bullshit

Watching now they have some points but they talking some dumb shit as well.

I am just talking about the
No champion in boxing would switch opponents like on a 2 weeks notice. Then they want him to Andrade who a southpaw when he preparing for a right handed Canelo.

Like I said they have some points but they also talking a lot of bullshit
It has happened throught the history of boxing hell GGG has accpeted 2 week opponents himself.

Back