Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Official Black Web Boxing Corner

test
https://www.boxingscene.com/arum-wants-ramirez-prograis-take-interim-fights-on-same-card--126339

Arum Wants Ramirez, Prograis to Take Interim Fights on Same Card

By Keith Idec

NEW YORK – The WBC has mandated that Jose Ramirez must make his first title defense against Regis Prograis.

Bob Arum, Ramirez’s promoter, has another idea.

Arum wants to pair Ramirez, who won the WBC super lightweight title Saturday night, and Prograis, the newly crowned WBC interim 140-pound champion, in separate fights as part of an ESPN doubleheader sometime in June or July. Assuming Ramirez (22-0, 16 KOs) and Prograis (21-0, 18 KOs) win those fights, Arum would then make a Ramirez-Prograis bout toward the end of this year.

The Hall-of-Fame promoter already has discussed his plan with Lou DiBella, Prograis’ promoter.

“I talked with Lou and we’re gonna see if we can put them on the same bill next, and then have them matched,” Arum said following Ramirez’s 12-round, unanimous-decision defeat of Amir Imam in The Theater at Madison Square Garden. “So then people will know Prograis.”

Arum added that the Ramirez-Prograis doubleheader would take place at a minor-league baseball stadium in the Fresno, California, area, where Ramirez has become one of boxing’s biggest draws thanks in part to his social activism. When informed of his proposed appearance on a Ramirez undercard, Prograis expressed reluctance.

“I don’t think I wanna fight on a Ramirez card,” said Prograis, who watched Ramirez-Imam from ringside. “I’m already the mandatory for him. I wanna fight for the belt. By the WBC, I’m mandated to fight the champion next. I really felt like me & Indongo should’ve been a championship fight, or me and [Viktor] Postol. So I feel like I wanna fight for the belt next.”

New Orleans’ Prograis knocked out former IBF/IBO/WBA champ Julius Indongo (22-2, 11 KOs) in the second round to win the WBC interim super lightweight title March 9 in Deadwood, South Dakota. Prograis was supposed to fight Ukraine’s Postol that night, but Indongo replaced Postol (29-1, 12 KOs) on three weeks’ notice because Postol suffered a thumb injury during training camp.

Ramirez beat Imam (21-2, 18 KOs) to win the unclaimed WBC 140-pound championship Terence Crawford relinquished to move up to the welterweight division last year.

Prograis is concerned that if he agrees to participate in a doubleheader that would feature Ramirez, and they both win, that he still won’t get to challenge Ramirez in his following fight.

“We’ll take to the promoters and we’ll see,” Prograis said. “But I’m a competitor. I wanna fight the names. I still wanna fight Postol. I wanna fight someone like Adrien Broner. And I wanna fight Ramirez. You know, but of course, before anything I wanna get the belt. I don’t want [Ramirez] to trying to swiggle around. And I know they might wanna try to get Pacquiao to fight [Ramirez]. I don’t know, but it might happen.”

I hate when people say someone is dirty for certain things.. Universally agreed upon griminess is any modification/lowblows and headbutts.. there is but someone clinching pushing someones head down or whatever other shit people would deem dirty is all fair. i mean their are rules i get that but its a fight as a fighter rights and lefts should be your refs.. and if you need to catch a break.. why not do what you need to do to get right in that moment.

https://www.boxingscene.com/wbc-prez-im-not-protecting-canelo-we-fair--126346

WBC Prez: I'm Not Protecting Canelo, But We Have To Be Fair!

World Boxing Council President (WBC) Mauricio Sulaiman has rejected the idea that his organization is protecting Mexican superstar Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (49-1-2, 34 KOs), who is currently preparing for a scheduled rematch with WBC, WBA, IBF, IBO middleweight king Gennady Golovkin (37-0-1, 33 KOs).

The fight takes place on May 5th, at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

But the contest has a dark cloud above it, after the news came crashing down that Canelo tested positive for traces of clenbuterol in two random drug tests that were administered in February.

Canelo and his handlers have blamed tainted meat as the cause.

The problem with contaminated meat is an ongoing problem for Mexico - which has Canelo's supporters backing his claim, while his critics believe he should have been far more careful since he and his handlers were well aware of the problem - as several other athletes, including boxers, have tested positive for clenbuterol in the last few years - and all of them have blamed meat contamination.

Sulaiman has come out in defense of Canelo.

Last year, there was a lot of bad blood between the Mexican superstar and the WBC, but Sulaiman said recently that they buried the hatchet - and Canelo agreed to fight for the WBC belt in May. In the first contest last September, Canelo refused to fight for the WBC title.

Sulaiman says he's only being fair and not trying to protect Canelo from any punishment.

"Canelo enrolled voluntarily in the clean boxing program and has been tested by VADA for over five years in countless fights. We consider that also as a fact, there has never been a positive test, and these tests have been out of competition, which means they are random surprise testing to make sure this clean boxing program works properly," Sulaiman told Forbes.

"As a high-level competition athlete, he should have a very strong team behind him [and they should have been cautious], but also you have to look at the human aspect. He was in Mexico, going back and forth going to several commitments; this could be the result of one appetizer, one steak, one event where he had one taco.

"I am not trying to protect Canelo; believe me, this was an opportunity for the WBC and myself to take on the last year of abuse that we received from his side. It is well documented that there have been problems from the fighter against the WBC for some reasons. But we have to be completely neutral. We have to be fair, and justice has to prevail."

xq78z.gif

Holding and hitting is text book dirty boxing. Even in MMA where it's legal it's still considered dirty boxing

Holding and hitting is text book dirty boxing. Even in MMA where it's legal it's still considered dirty boxing
Weapons of war. that excessive shit is certainly annoying and i dont like it and fighters dont either but its another weapon in the war and has dual purposes

Bhop was dirty... Holding and hitting, stepping on feet

Cotto ... Low blows

Sam Peter.. Back of the head punches

Bradley & holyfield .... Head butting...

Like what do you consider dirty??

Only extreme examples like plaster in the gloves or illegal wrapping?

Bhop was dirty... Holding and hitting, stepping on feet

Cotto ... Low blows

Sam Peter.. Back of the head punches

Bradley & holyfield .... Head butting...

Like what do you consider dirty??

Only extreme examples like plaster in the gloves or illegal wrapping?

Nah all that shit is dirty.. im not sayin its not but its a part of the game.. like i said i frown upon low blows and especially headbutts.. I mean is someone really dirty for evening the odds momentarily.. ala Diego for spitting his mouthpiece out im just saying in most cases its in your control as the opposition to combat that. you either fight fire with fire.(Eye for an eye) or dont put yourself in position to get got when its avoidable.

i appreciate the wily tactics not enjoyable when in excess but its has its purposes.. yeah Bhop had a bag of this shit

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...canelo-alvarez-oscar-de-la-hoya-doping-cheats

Golovkin calls Canelo a cheat, De La Hoya 'dirty'

Six weeks before unified middleweight world champion Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez are due to meet in a highly anticipated rematch, Golovkin has accused his rival of being a serial drug cheat.

Alvarez tested positive for the banned performance-enhancing drug clenbuterol in random urine tests conducted by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association in his hometown of Guadalajara, Mexico, on Feb. 17 and Feb. 20.

Speaking on Tuesday to a group of reporters at his training camp in Big Bear Lake, California, Golovkin said he didn't believe Alvarez's explanation for the positive test, which was that he ate contaminated beef. That has been an ongoing problem for athletes from Mexico, where farmers include the substance clenbuterol, which is prohibited in the United States, in cattle feed because it helps reduce fat and increase lean muscle mass.

"Again with Mexican meat? Come on," Golovkin said. "I told you, it's not Mexican meat. This is Canelo. This is his team. This is his promotion. Canelo is cheating. They're using these drugs, and everybody is just trying to pretend it's not happening.

"This guy, he knows. This is not his first day in boxing. He proves he gets benefits from everyone and he can get away with it. Check him on a lie detector and then we can find out everything."

Speaking by phone to ESPN later Tuesday, Golovkin added: "I think it is silly to blame the meat because an athlete at this level should not be caught on the meat. I eat Mexican food all the time and I've never had that problem."

Golovkin (37-0-1, 33 KOs) and Alvarez (49-1-2, 34 KOs) are set for a rematch on May 5 (HBO PPV, 8 p.m. ET) at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, where they put on an action-packed fight on Sept. 16 that many thought Golovkin won but that was ruled a draw.

Because of the positive tests, Alvarez is now subject to more rigorous testing. The Nevada State Athletic Commission has declined to comment or announce any disciplinary action while it is in the process of investigating the situation.

For now, the fight remains on.

Golovkin told reporters he thought that the recent positive test is not indicative of the first time Alvarez has used performance-enhancing drugs. Golovkin said he thought Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya, Alvarez's promoter and an International Boxing Hall of Famer who won world titles in six weight classes, is "dirty," as well.

"It was pretty obvious when [Alvarez's] muscles were all [enlarged] ... and with the traces of injections, which were visible," Golovkin said. "Before the first fight, I knew he was not clean. I can talk about Oscar De La Hoya too. He is also not clean. He's dirty."

Golovkin's comments about injection marks stem from the fact that he and his promoter, Tom Loeffler, said they have been sent videos and photos of Alvarez apparently taking some kind of pill following the weigh-in for the fight in September, in addition to photos that show him having apparent injection marks on his abdomen.

"People were sending him videos and photos, and they said he should ask the commission what these photos and videos are," Loeffler told ESPN. "People were telling him to get the commission to clarify what it was. But he doesn't think Canelo was smart."

Golovkin told ESPN that as long as the commission allows the fight to go on, he will get in the ring "and do my job."

"If nobody from the commission will cancel it, I will do my job," Golovkin said. "But this is a very hot topic about doping. What did he inject in his belly? What are the marks on his belly? Look at the photos. These questions should be asked of the commission."

Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez has noted that Alvarez tested negative for any banned substances three times, on March 3, 5 and 9, since the positive test. He also told ESPN that Alvarez has had more recent tests but the results have not yet come back. Gomez also took exception to Golovkin's accusations.

"[Golovkin] doesn't sound like a confident fighter. It sounds like he wants to try to find a way out of the fight," Gomez told ESPN after being told about Golovkin's comments. "If that's what he wants, he should just say so. Just last week he said the opposite. The remarks about the needle marks, the remarks about Oscar, the defamatory things he said, we'll deal with them appropriately.

"As far as Canelo, he is training hard for the fight. He didn't need motivation for this fight, but now he's got added motivation. There's an ongoing investigation, and when it's completed, you'll hear from Canelo."

Alvarez's only public comment on the situation came in a statement Golden Boy released from him on the day the positive test results were revealed earlier this month.

"I am an athlete who respects the sport and this surprises me and bothers me because it had never happened to me," Alvarez said. "I will submit to all the tests that require me to clarify this embarrassing situation, and I trust that at the end the truth will prevail."

https://www.boxingscene.com/pacquiao-camp-standing-firm-top-rank-contract-expired--126434

Pacquiao Camp Standing Firm That Top Rank Contract Expired

Things are going to be interesting in the coming weeks, as Manny Pacquiao's team members are insisting that his contract with Top Rank has expired.

Pacquiao himself has refused to comment on the matter, but he's made no mention of Top Rank, or longtime trainer Freddie Roach, when discussed his planned return on June 24th in Malaysia against WBA 'regular' welterweight champion Lucas Matthysse.

Pacquiao has only mentioned Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya, who promotes Matthysse, as his partner on the June card.

According to Pacquiao’s lawyer Eldibrando Viernesto, the last fight under promotional deal was against Jeff Horn in Brisbane, Australia last July.

“I reviewed the contract and I found out that Bob Arum has no more say even in the rematch, should there be any, between Manny Pacquiao and Australian boxer Jeff Horn,” Viernesto said to The Philippine Star.

Last week, Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum rejected any claims that Pacquiao was a free agent.

“Pacquiao is under contract with Top Rank for reasonably long period of time but I don’t know when the contract will expire,” Arum told BoxingScene.com.

Aquiles Zonio, who is Pacquiao's media relations officer, made allegations against Arum, claiming the veteran promoter prevented Pacquiao from staging several bouts outside of the United States.

“The first one was the planned Pacquiao Dubai fight then the other was the fight supposed to be staged either in Macau or Hong Kong,” Zonio wrote in a Philboxing article.

“In two separate occasions, Arum called up Pacquiao’s financiers threatening to file a lawsuit if Top Rank is not included in the promotion. They cowed in fear resulting to the scrapping of the fight.”

“This time, Arum, for the third time, tried to sabotage the fight by calling up Pacquiao’s Malaysian financial backers. No dice, old man. He was ignored."

Pacquiao plans to make a formal announcement early next month on the Matthysse fight. And De La Hoya, according to Pacquiao, will fly to the Philippines to help promote the bout.

“De La Hoya called up asking me if we could reset the Manila launching after the Holy Week. That’s why it (Manila press conference) was moved to April 4,” Pacquiao said.

Ugly ugly KO

Right as Oscar was saying

" Yea, I think this is the perfect test for him. A veteran fighter who will take him into deep waters. I expect this to go several rounds"
"riight"

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...ly-suspended-nevada-state-athletic-commission

Canelo temporarily suspended over two tests

The Nevada State Athletic Commission temporarily suspended Canelo Alvarez on Friday due to his two positive tests for the banned substance clenbuterol, commission executive director Bob Bennett told ESPN.

The situation puts Alvarez's scheduled rematch with unified middleweight world champion Gennady Golovkin on May 5 (HBO PPV, 8 p.m. ET) at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas in serious jeopardy of being canceled.

Alvarez will be required to appear at a commission hearing -- either in person or via telephone -- on the issue on April 10, less than a month before he is to challenge Golovkin in a heavily anticipated rematch of their controversial draw at the same venue in September. ‎The commission will decide at the hearing whether the fight will be permitted to go ahead as scheduled.

The commission issued the suspension per its regulations in the midst of an investigation after Alvarez twice tested positive for clenbuterol in random urine tests conducted by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association in his hometown of Guadalajara, Mexico, on Feb. 17 and Feb. 20.

Alvarez said the positive tests were from eating contaminated beef, which has been an ongoing problem for athletes from Mexico, where farmers include the substance, which is prohibited in the United States, in cattle feed because it helps reduce fat and increase lean muscle mass.

"Mr. Alvarez is temporarily suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for his adverse analytical findings, that being clenbuterol, on Feb. 17 and 20," Bennett said in a statement. "A commission hearing is scheduled for April 10, 2018, to hear from Mr. Alvarez."

The commission has already required Alvarez (49-1-2, 34 KOs), who is now training in San Diego, to undergo more rigorous testing, but at the hearing he will face questioning from the commission about the positive tests.

Bennett, a former FBI agent, already interviewed Alvarez in Las Vegas last week as part of the investigation and told ESPN that he has been cooperative, but the commission will have the final say. If Alvarez, the highest-profile boxer ever to test positive for a performance-enhancing drug, can't convince the majority of the five-person panel that his positive tests were because of contaminated meat, he could be suspended for a time between six months and two years.

"We respect the Nevada State Athletic Commission's process and will vigorously present Canelo's case throughout," Golden Boy Promotions spokesman Stefan Friedman said in a statement to ESPN. "Over his career, Canelo has tested clean more than 90 times and would never intentionally take a banned substance."

Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez and Golovkin promoter Tom Loeffler both met with Bennett and commission chairman Anthony Marnell III on Friday in Las Vegas for a status update on the investigation. Bennett told them later Friday about the suspension.

During a session with boxing media members on Tuesday at his training camp in Big Bear Lake, California, Golovkin (37-0-1, 33 KOs) expressed frustration about Alvarez's positive tests but said he still wanted to fight him, though he also accused Alvarez of purposefully cheating and of having used PEDs for their first fight. Alvarez never failed a test related to that bout.

"Again with Mexican meat? Come on," Golovkin said Tuesday. "I told you, it's not Mexican meat. This is Canelo. This is his team. This is his promotion. Canelo is cheating. They're using these drugs, and everybody is just trying to pretend it's not happening.

"This guy, he knows. This is not his first day in boxing. He proves he gets benefits from everyone and he can get away with it. Check him on a lie detector, and then we can find out everything."

Speaking by phone to ESPN later Tuesday, Golovkin added, "I think it is silly to blame the meat because an athlete at this level should not be caught on the meat. I eat Mexican food all the time, and I've never had that problem."

If the Nevada commission suspends Alvarez further on April 10, Loeffler said Golovkin still will fight on May 5 at T-Mobile Arena.

"GGG is in full training-camp mode right now, and he wants to fight May 5 regardless of what happens," Loeffler told ESPN on Friday night. "The commission did issue the temporary suspension for Canelo, but everything is subject to what happens April 10 at their hearing. On the GGG side, he's fired up. He's on edge for this fight. This fight was really getting red-hot and nearing being sold out after this week. On the GGG side, whenever he can get Canelo in the rematch, he'll fight him. Gennady felt he was wronged [by the decision] the first time. That's where some of those comments came out in the heat of the training camp this week. As soon as he can get him back in the ring, whether it's on May 5 or on a future date, he'll do his best to knock out Canelo. The respect he had for him in the first fight is out the window after this. All the pleasantries are out the window."

The cancellation of the fight would be a massive financial hit for all involved. The fight last September sold around 1.3 million pay-per-view buys, generated the third-biggest gate in boxing history ($27,059,850), eight-figure paydays for both fighters, millions for the promoters and untold millions for the Las Vegas economy. Loeffler said he felt the commission had done a thorough job with the investigation and whatever it decides is fine by their side.

"We definitely respect the commission for their thorough investigation. I have to commend them for what they're doing," Loeffler said. "Canelo has cooperated with them from (what) they've said, and they've subjected him to numerous tests since the failed tests. Whatever the commission does, Gennady would still fight May 5 if Canelo is out.

"If for some reason it's not against Canelo, we'll figure out the best course of action at that time, but he is training to fight May 5. We'd look at [middleweight titlist] Billy Joe Saunders or anyone else who makes sense. Hopefully, it's Canelo. If not, we will weigh the options and meet with HBO and the people from the MGM [owner of T-Mobile Arena]."

It’ll be interesting to see how Roids & Cinnamon gets out of this situation...

Last edited:
They already setting the angle.

They're stressing that athletes don't always know what they're using. They just hear "helps with recovery" and they so often train hurt

Back