Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Official Black Web Boxing Corner

test
Whoever said they was taking bets on Thurman vs Manny and had Manny.

You accepting my 100K bet on Thurman?

Gervonta Davis: I'm The Cash Cow In The 130-Pound Division!
By Jake Donovan

Gervonta Davis takes it as a compliment that his name remains on the mind and tongue of just about everyone else in the super featherweight division.

The unbeaten southpaw remains a daily target among the division’s best, whereas he prefers to simply focus on the task at hand rather than waste energy on fights that may or may not happen down the road.

For now, that means all of his time and attention focused on Panama’s Ricardo Nuñez (21-2, 19KOs). More so than serving as a mandatory title defense, the July 27 bout is a homecoming for Davis who headlines at the Royal Farms Arena in Baltimore, Md.’

“This is my mandatory. Every (champion) has mandatories,” Davis (21-0, 20KOs) notes of his upcoming Showtime headliner. “There’s a lot of good fighters out there from 126 to 130 to 135 (pounds). My team is waiting on the right time, and meanwhile we’re just fighting the guys they put in front of me.”

The bout is the second of the year for Davis, following a slow stretch where he had just one fight in nearly 18 months. His lone fight of 2018 was a title-winning effort, knocking out Jesus Cuellar to begin a second tour as a super featherweight titlist after having left his first belt at the scale due to missing weight in an Aug. 2017 knockout of Francisco Fonseca.

His first fight of 2019 was to come versus former three-division titlist Abner Mares. The planned February clash tracked tremendously well at the box-office until Mares withdrew less than two weeks before fight night due to a detached retina.

Davis was left to face former 122-pound titlist Hugo Ruiz, whom moved up to featherweight for a Jan. 19th bout and took the fight on short notice. It proved to be a mismatch, with Davis scoring a 1st round knockout in front of a crowd of more than 8,000.

Now comes his long overdue homecoming, which marks the first time in more than 80 years where a Baltimore-bred boxer defends his title at home. The response has been favorable, as Davis headlines on Showtime for the second straight time while making his 7th overall network appearance.

With a win, the plan is to get him back in the ring for a third fight in 2019. Against whom remains to be seen, although he likely won’t have any shortage of willing takers.

“I’m really like the cash cow in the (130-pound) division,” notes Davis of the other titlists calling his name far more aggressively than each other. “I believe it’s a big risk (for opponents) but it’s a big payday when you fight me.

“So that’s why they’re calling me out. It’s a big risk to fight me but it’s a big reward.”

i got Thurman saturday night, i know i made a bet with someone on here, it was either @Playmaker88 or @JUDAH

do yall remember taking a bet with me for this fight??

Wilder-Ortiz II: November 9 New Working Date For Rumored Bout

By Jake Donovan

Nearly two months after racing to social media to share with his fans the major developments in his career, Deontay Wilder’s big reveal of not one but two allegedly secured rematches still remain fluid.

Plans for the unbeaten heavyweight titlist to make his 10th defense in a rematch with top-rated contender Luis Ortiz have now shifted towards a working date of November 9, BoxingScene.com has learned.

Should the latest offered date hold, it will likely put the fight at Staples Center in Los Angeles, Calif., with the MGM Grand in Las Vegas also under consideration.

The bout was once targeted to take place September 28 in Los Angeles, with those plans quickly dissolving as Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) brass tried to maneuver all of the working parts for its yet to be revealed fall schedule. The months-long suggestion has been that three venues were under consideration for the event: Staples Center, MGM Grand and Brooklyn’s Barclays Center, where their thrilling 1st fight took place.

Wilder rallied from a major mid-fight scare to drop and eventually stop Ortiz (31-1, 26KOs; 2 NC) in the 10th round of their entertaining slugfest last March, which drew a peak audience of 1.2 million viewers live on Showtime.

All three venues were available at the time Wilder made such a declaration, racing to social media days before the U.S. debut of divisional rival and then-unbeaten and unified titlist Anthony Joshua. Since then has come Joshua’s first career loss, a massive upset 7th round stoppage at the hands of Andy Ruiz on June 1.

Also transpiring since the initial social media announcement is the official removal of Barclays Center from the equation. The venue is officially ruled out for November 9, as it hosts a New York Islanders hockey game that evening; every other Saturday is also booked.

November 9 is one of the few remaining Saturdays still open at Staples Center and that’s without the NBA’s L.A. Lakers and L.A. Clippers yet revealing their home games for the 2019-20 season. Wilder and Ortiz appeared in separate fights at the Southern California locale last December. Ortiz scored a 10th round stoppage of Travis Kauffman in supporting capacity to Wilder’s 12-round draw with Tyson Fury atop a Showtime Pay-Per-View event.

Both have fought once since then; Ortiz outpointed Christian Hammer over 10 rounds this past March, while Wilder (41-0-1, 40KOs) annihilated Dominic Breazeale in one round this past May, with both fights taking place at Barclays Center.

Wilder-Breazeale came about for two reasons—it being Wilder’s mandatory title defense, along with it serving as the alternate plan once plans fell through for a long-discussed rematch with Fury.

The delay in the two unbeaten heavyweights having already danced a second time came about when Fury bailed from negotiations at the 11th hour to instead sign a reported nine-figure deal with Top Rank and ESPN+. Fury’s first fight under the pact came this past June, scoring a 2nd round knockout of then unbeaten—and still unheralded—Tom Schwarz in an event which generated a lot of coverage but proved disappointing at the box office.

Those plans are allegedly back in place and further along than was the case earlier this year, according to Wilder’s breaking news in late May. Fury has suggested a working date of February 22, 2020 for the rematch, although it’s just that—one of several dates having been offered for the event.

While there remains time on sorting out the back end of his rematch tour, the clock is ticking on nailing down a date and location for a second fight with Ortiz.

Report: Spence-Porter Set For September 28 At Staples Center

By Keith Idec

LAS VEGAS – Errol Spence Jr. and Shawn Porter apparently have a date and site for their welterweight title unification fight.

The Athletic’s Lance Pugmire reported Wednesday that Spence-Porter will take place September 28 at Staples Center in Los Angeles. September 28 has been the rumored date for their FOX Sports Pay-Per-View main event, but Barclays Center in Brooklyn was a potential spot for their 147-pound title fight as well.

The 29-year-old Spence (25-0, 21 KOs), of DeSoto, Texas, and the 31-year-old Porter (30-2-1, 17 KOs), a native of Akron, Ohio, will fight for Spence’s IBF belt and Porter’s WBC crown.

The Spence-Porter fight could be announced as soon as Saturday, when Manny Pacquiao and Keith Thurman are set to square off for Thurman’s WBA “super” welterweight tile at MGM Grand Garden Arena. Spence and Porter will be part of FOX Sports’ coverage of the Pacquiao-Thurman weigh-in Friday from MGM Grand Garden Arena (FS1; 4 p.m. ET/1 p.m. PT).

The winners of the Pacquiao-Thurman and Spence-Porter fights could meet early in 2020 for three welterweight titles.

Spence most recently scored a lopsided, 12-round victory over four-division champion Mikey Garcia (39-1, 30 KOs), who moved up two weight classes to oppose Spence on March 16 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. A week earlier, Porter edged Cuba’s Yordenis Ugas (23-4, 11 KOs) by split decision in a 12-rounder at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California.

Their September 28 bout will mark Spence’s second straight pay-per-view main event. Porter will headline a pay-per-view show for the first time in his career.

The Philippines’ Pacquiao (61-7-2, 39 KOs) and Thurman (29-0, 22 KOs, 1 NC), of Clearwater, Florida, also will headline a FOX Sports Pay-Per-View card Saturday night. That four-fight telecast is set to start at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT and costs $74.95 to view in HD.

Back