Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Official Black Web Boxing Corner

test

https://www.boxingscene.com/wilder-ortiz-ii-done-deal-eyed-september--139468

Wilder-Ortiz II A Done Deal, Eyed For September
By Jake Donovan

Deontay Wilder prides himself on being a man of his word. The unbeaten heavyweight titlist meant it when he said boxing fans shouldn’t expect an undisputed championship showdown with Anthony Joshua until at least 2020.

Happening well before then is a rematch with Cuban southpaw Luis Ortiz. Wilder confirmed the rumors himself through his verified social media account Tuesday evening.

“Wilder v Ortiz II FIRE!” declared the reigning WBC titlist, just two weeks removed from a highlight reel 1st round knockout of Dominic Breazeale. “To all my fans, I want to announce that Luis Ortiz and I have signed for a rematch, with the date and site to be announced shortly. All my controversial fights must get dealt with ASAP!”

A date and location both remain forthcoming, but it is believed that the fight will take place in September. Two suggested dates and venues are September 7 at Staples Center in Los Angeles (as per L.A. Times’ Lance Pugmire) and September 28 in either L.A. or Las Vegas.

The announced bout is a rematch to their slugfest last March. Wilder overcame rocky moments midway through their Showtime-televised contest to drop and eventually stop Ortiz in the 10th round of their Fight of the Year contender.

Rumors swirled of a sequel shortly after handlers for Ortiz (31-1-0-2NC, 26KOs) turned down a $7 million package for a June 1 clash versus Joshua at New York City’s Madison Square Garden. The heavyweight contender was offered the DAZN-headlining fight after Jarrell Miller was removed from the bill after having failed multiple drug tests in late March.

The package offered to Ortiz instead exposed two matters: the dysfunction among his team, as well as a glimpse into Wilder’s reasons for turning down his own offer to join the DAZN family, a nine-figure deal that would have guaranteed him two fights with Joshua.

The 33-year old from Alabama instead chose to stay loyal to the Premier Boxing Champions brand, which includes his long-standing relationship with Showtime. It resulted in his grudge match versus Breazeale airing on the premium cable giant’s flagship network as opposed to Pay-Per-View.

As much likely cannot be said of the rematch, as it will result in far too expensive a price tag for Showtime or Fox Sports to carry without going a la carte.

Wilder-Ortiz I aired live on Showtime, peaking at 1.2 million viewers. Wilder-Breazeale peaked at 990k viewers earlier this month.

Whatever is thought of the rematch, what remains unclear is Wilder’s claim of all controversial fights being dealt with ASAP.

There was nothing disputed about the first fight, other than finally getting to that point. It was originally slated to take place in Nov. 2017, only for Ortiz to test positive for a banned substance attributed to high blood pressure medication. His crime was not disclosing the medication when filling out the forms for Voluntary Anti-Doping Agency (VADA) random drug testing, for which he received a temporary suspension.

Once the matter was cleared up, Ortiz was permitted to return to the ring in Dec. 2017 in scoring a 2nd round knockout of Daniel Martz. By that point, Wilder had already fought on the November date, tearing through Bermane Stiverne in the opening round of a rematch to their Jan. 2015 fight in which Wilder first won the title he’s now defended nine times.

Number 10 will come in a second fight with Ortiz, with no clear indication as to when one will come in a first fight with Joshua.

The unbeaten, unified titlist from England has gone public in wanting to speak directly with Wilder shortly after this weekend’s fight with Ruiz, which marks his stateside debut.

Whether Wilder decided to make his announcement four days prior to the fight was simply to upstage the event or just to get on with his own career is open to interpretation. Whatever the case, Joshua can at least focus on nothing else but Andy Ruiz.

What he does with his career come June 2 remains anybody’s guess—other than knowing it won’t involve an undisputed heavyweight championship showdown with Wilder.

https://www.boxingscene.com/crawford-on-spence-you-gotta-ask-them-it-happen--139439

Crawford on Spence: You Gotta Ask Them When It Will Happen

By Jake Donovan

KISSIMMEE,Fla.—Terence ‘Bud’ Crawford is arguably the best pound-for-pound boxer in the sport today but where he ranks among the current welterweight elite is up for debate.

The easiest way to resolve the dispute is simply to have the division’s best face one another. If the unbeaten three-division titlist had his way, his next fight would be against any of his fellow titlists.

However, his contract status with Top Rank and ESPN has him politically on the outside of current plans for a series of welterweight bouts under the Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) banner, as the conglomerate boasts nearly every other relevant 147-pound titlist and contender in the world today.

Among that lot is unbeaten rising superstar Errol Spence Jr., considered by many to be the best of the bunch. The past several months have seen Spence and Crawford go back and forth—mostly through social media but also in person during their spirited backstage discussion following Maurice Hooker’s knockout win over Alex Saucedo last November on ESPN—but so far failing to lead to an in-ring collision.

It’s a fight that both boxers claim to want, so why hasn’t it yet happened or negotiations even yet begun?

“You gotta ask them,” Crawford told a group of reporters on Saturday in Kissimmee, Fla., where he was on hand for stablemate Jamel Herring’s ESPN-televised 130-pound title win over Masayuki Ito. “You can’t ask me something that I’ve been calling for. It’s on them. They gotta get on the phone.”

By “they”, Crawford refers to those among the Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) brass responsible for Spence’s in-ring activities. The conglomerate was created by adviser and multi-year Manager of the Year recipient Al Haymon, who has a long and sordid history with Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum, who has guided Crawford’s career since 2011.

The two sides are not completely averse to doing business with one another, with several PBC fighters having even faced—and suffered knockout losses to—Crawford. None were “A” side clients, though, just as Top Rank has never been quick to send any of its tentpole fighters to other platforms.

Still, the fight that most boxing fans want to see in the loaded welterweight division should at least initiate two way conversation.

“When will we see it? We’ll see it when Errol Spence gets his guys to call Bob (Arum) to make the fight happen,” noted retired former two-division titlist Tim Bradley, who now works as an ESPN boxing expert analyst. “I believe both guys want to get it on, they just have to get their people together to make it happen.”

Spence remains linked to a unification bout with Shawn Porter, though when exactly that takes place remains very fluid. The two were rumored for a summertime showdown on Fox TV, although BoxingScene.com has learned those plans are no longer on the table and that such a fight could wind up going the Pay-Per-View route if it materializes.

The fact that it’s not yet official leaves Crawford’s side optimistic—if only to a fault—of the one fight that most in the industry want to see above any other welterweight clash.

“That’s the fight that people want to see,” acknowledged Arum. “It’s this generation’s Ray Leonard versus Tommy Hearns.

“Hopefully it will be Spence versus Crawford in the fall. That’s the fight that should happen.”

https://www.boxingscene.com/golovkin-jabs-sanchez-time-with-banks-more-true-not-fake--139471

Golovkin Jabs Sanchez: Time With Banks is More True, Not Fake

By Michael Rosenthal

SANTA MONICA, California – Gennady Golovkin has never been the disagreeable sort but he seemed to be particularly content before an open workout Tuesday afternoon at the Churchill Boxing Club, a few-hour drive from his training camp in Big Bear.

New platform on which to fight, DAZN (a six-fight deal for a reported $100 million). New trainer, Jonathan Banks. New beginning. Triple-G is a happy man these days.

“I just feel very comfortable,” he said to a group of reporters in a small room above the gym. “I have strong people who stay with me, who just believe in me, and I believe in (them).

“… I’m enjoying a relationship that’s more true, not fake.”

The person to whom Golovkin was referring when he used the word “fake” was Abel Sanchez, his longtime and now-former trainer. The two reportedly split over money – Surprise! Surprise! – but Triple-G also accused Sanchez of being ingenuine.

“Abel at first said he feels like dad and son and the second time he said it’s only business. C’mon,” Golovkin said.

That led to a new partnership with Banks, the former trainer of Wladimir Klitschko who learned the ropes under the late Emanuel Steward at the Kronk Gym in Detroit. They’ve been training for five weeks for Golovkin’s fight against unbeaten, but relative unknown Steve Rolls on June 8 in New York City.

Golovkin is almost giddy about his work with Banks in Big Bear, the mountain town in which he used to train with Sanchez. He was asked to describe the difference in working with his former and current trainers. He chuckled and said, “a lot.”

Of course, one shouldn’t expect a significant transformation given his age (37) and success. At the same time, he discovered he can still learn new tricks.
He said he and Banks have been working on his quickness – “at my age, you know, you lose a little speed,” he said – and his technique, which Golovkin has embraced.

He said we should expect “more boxing, more strategy.”

“Jonathan doesn’t (teach) Abel’s stuff, he brings his own stuff, different stuff from Detroit, from that school,” Golovkin said. “He brings a lot of boxing. It’s different. I feel like a teenager going to a new school.”

“… It’s like a new sport a little bit,” he went on. “OK, boxing is jab, hook, uppercut. The three punches, that’s it. If you want to learn more, (you need a) new school. This is new.”

Golovkin (38-1-1, 34 knockouts) is like the rest of us: He doesn’t know much about Rolls (19-0, 10 KOs), an untested 35-year-old out of Toronto who presumably was selected so Triple-G can ease into his six-fight deal with DAZN. They agreed to a 164-pound catch weight for the bout.

The legitimate opponent on Golovkin’s radar is more familiar, middleweight titleholder Canelo Alvarez, who also fights on DAZN. That obviously is one reason Golovkin chose the streaming service over other platforms; it sets up a third fight with his arch rival, who enjoys a 1-0-1 advantage in their two meetings.

Golovkin said he’s “absolutely sure” it will happen, perhaps in September. And this time, he promised, he won’t end up on the wrong side of another controversial decision.

“For me, it’s important to finish (the series) in the right way,” he said.

Beyond that? Golovkin doesn’t know. He feels he has limited control over who he fights. For example, he’d love to regain a middleweight title and then unify the belts but, as he put it, “it’s very difficult to force people to box with me.”

He talked about possibly moving up to 168 pounds or even 175 for the right opportunity but he wants to take things a step at a time.

“Let’s do the first fight and maybe do the Canelo fight and then we’ll consider everything,” he said.

One thing seems certain: He’ll enjoy the journey, wherever it takes him, more than he has in the past.

Yeah its pointless, Ortiz has only gotten older and fatter since the first fight and Wilder has stayed active and gotten better but we knew this was gonna happen... Funny he announced this fight right before Joshua fight too haha which says it all, he wont even entertain the fight...

The fact Wilder said he might not even accept a 50/50 because he had 'plans' we really knew him and AJ is not gonna happen for a good 18-24months, he will prolly fight Kownacki after Ortiz, like I said earlier he will only fight Haymon fighters for the time being...

To not even negotiate is a sucka move but it's really not about him only fighting Haymon fighters. Its a lot other shit that goes into it.

Wilder seems like he doesn't want to be in a multi fight deal with dazn.

Also if the fight has to be on dazn because of Joshua exclusive contract with them what exactly is Haymon getting out of that business wise. What fighter or fighters is Hearn going to send to Haymon to fight on Fox or Showtime.

Its the same shit but with a little difference with Arum.

Hearn and Arum want Haymon fighters to fight on their platforms (ESPN & DAZN) but ain't sending shit close to equal value back to Haymon for fights on Fox or Showtime. It's a two way street but folks only trying to place blame on Haymon for fights not happening.

Yall trippin and giving old ass Manny way too much credit for where he really is. If Thurman is even 80% of what he used to be he KOs Manny no later than round 8.

Don't let that shit fight between Manny vs Broner fool yall into believing Manny got more in the tank than he really does. Manny washed the fuck up for real.

Manny really looking to get 2 last checks. Manny hoping and praying the Thurman of Lopez fight shows up so he can get that check and then get KTFO by Spence. That is real reason he didn't go straight to Spence for this fight cause he know Spence going to fuck him up bad and if that happened then that would be his last big check. Fighting Thurman first its slim but still possible for him to get 2 big checks if he somehow beats Thurman.

Yall trippin and giving old ass Manny way too much credit for where he really is. If Thurman is even 80% of what he used to be he KOs Manny no later than round 8.

Don't let that shit fight between Manny vs Broner fool yall into believing Manny got more in the tank than he really does. Manny washed the fuck up for real.

Manny really looking to get 2 last checks. Manny hoping and praying the Thurman of Lopez fight shows up so he can get that check and then get KTFO by Spence. That is real reason he didn't go straight to Spence for this fight cause he know Spence going to fuck him up bad and if that happened then that would be his last big check. Fighting Thurman first its slim but still possible for him to get 2 big checks if he somehow beats Thurman.

I agree with most of this.

Nobody want that Spence work other than Crawford, but Arum aint having that.

And this fight 100% depends on how hard Thurman has trained/rehabed since the Lopez fight.

A completely healthy Keith Thurman washes Manny. But im betting against that. And the only way Manny wins is to pressure Thurman like Porter tried to. If Thurman cant make him respect his power, Manny wins on points.

When was Thurmans last KO? He's gptta make a statement to bounce back...

Last edited by a moderator:
To not even negotiate is a sucka move but it's really not about him only fighting Haymon fighters. Its a lot other shit that goes into it.

Wilder seems like he doesn't want to be in a multi fight deal with dazn.

Also if the fight has to be on dazn because of Joshua exclusive contract with them what exactly is Haymon getting out of that business wise. What fighter or fighters is Hearn going to send to Haymon to fight on Fox or Showtime.

Its the same shit but with a little difference with Arum.

Hearn and Arum want Haymon fighters to fight on their platforms (ESPN & DAZN) but ain't sending shit close to equal value back to Haymon for fights on Fox or Showtime. It's a two way street but folks only trying to place blame on Haymon for fights not happening.

Thing is though Hearn wasnt even involved in the multi fight negotiations, he stayed out of it because of the back and forth calling etc... But it sounds like Wilder's team took the negations just to say they did... Everything was negotiable but they didnt even bother to counter by the sounds of it... Say Wilder said, no I dont want a 3 fight deal I want 2 and this amount of money??? Fine have a Breazeale fight then have AJ??? And make a bucket load of money, like STUPID amounts of money... Both teams need to make concessions to make it happen but its sounds like Wilder or his team are not interested...

Also at the end of the day advisers need to do whats best for their fighters, not themselves and it seems Wilders team arnt... Clearly not, I heard the viewing fighters and attendance for Brazeale wernt great BUT everyone has seen the knockout which is something but in terms of maximising his earning potential he is not, unless his team really dont have confidence in him...

It's not the fight against Broner that makes me think he can still fight at a high level. Pac would beat Broner sitting in a wheel chair. I don't believe 80% of Thurman will be good enough. This is not going to be an easy fight for Thurman. I think we're in for a very competitve fight.

Also you say what is Haymon getting out of it business wise??? He is employed by Wilder to do whats best for him i.e maximise his earnings and help him gain the 3 remaining belts... Plus he would get cut a massive cheque from the mega fight (and possible rematch)... And like I say if he is really confident in Wilder, he would also get out if the undisputed heavyweight champion... At the moment AJ has most belts...

Thing is though Hearn wasnt even involved in the multi fight negotiations, he stayed out of it because of the back and forth calling etc... But it sounds like Wilder's team took the negations just to say they did... Everything was negotiable but they didnt even bother to counter by the sounds of it... Say Wilder said, no I dont want a 3 fight deal I want 2 and this amount of money??? Fine have a Breazeale fight then have AJ??? And make a bucket load of money, like STUPID amounts of money... Both teams need to make concessions to make it happen but its sounds like Wilder or his team are not interested...

Also at the end of the day advisers need to do whats best for their fighters, not themselves and it seems Wilders team arnt... Clearly not, I heard the viewing fighters and attendance for Brazeale wernt great BUT everyone has seen the knockout which is something but in terms of maximising his earning potential he is not, unless his team really dont have confidence in him...

This the thing they not giving Wilder a 2 fight deal. Their shit not set up that way. Cause the fight between Wilder and Joshua has a rematch clause. So that's the 2 fights right there. Also have to factor in how Hearn went for a few months ago 12-15 mill to now Wilder worth 33+mill per fight. Wilder sees that and feel why the fuck should he allow DAZN to put a cap on his number.

They actually are doing whats best for Wilder by not letting him take a fight where his money is capped. They also have to protect their investment as well. Lets say Wilder loses both fights to Joshua on DAZN. Why would Fox or Showtime now want Wilder on their networks or pay him any decent amount of money?

Espinosa already said he has no problem on showtime's end as long as they get close to equal value fights back on their network in exchange. That shit is fair.

The Breazeale KO was great but nobody wanted to see that fight from the get go so it ain't really move the needle like that for Wilder. Fucked up thing is nobody wants to see the Ortiz rematch either and definitely not on ppv.

Wilder in a tough position and I respect that he is betting on himself but he has to figure some shit out.

Last edited:
I get the business side of the AJ vs Wilder fight. And someone has to lose....after that fight does happen...the only big payday for either side would be fighting Fury.

Then it's a wrap.

I think some of this is bad blood between the camps, but it's also some theateics to buipd anticipation all while increasing casual exposure. Because once the three biggest names mix it up, there really aren't any big dollar match ups left.

All of the promoters are just trying to maximize their earnings.

Also you say what is Haymon getting out of it business wise??? He is employed by Wilder to do whats best for him i.e maximise his earnings and help him gain the 3 remaining belts... Plus he would get cut a massive cheque from the mega fight (and possible rematch)... And like I say if he is really confident in Wilder, he would also get out if the undisputed heavyweight champion... At the moment AJ has most belts...

That check doesn't cover what he could lose by Showtime not fucking with them anymore or by cutting down on dates. Its bigger than this fight and you have to realize that. Showtime built Wilder and that is part of the reason Showtime and PBC are still working together. Showtime wants a return on that investment. Could Wilder just walk away and sign with dazn of course he can. That would have an effect on PBC going forward with Showtime and that ain't good thing for Wilder, Haymon or PBC.

You can be confident all you want in a fighters ability but we've all seen how judges in boxing fuck obvious things up. So it ain't about how much confidence Haymon has in Wilder.

I get the business side of the AJ vs Wilder fight. And someone has to lose....after that fight does happen...the only big payday for either side would be fighting Fury.

Then it's a wrap.

I think some of this is bad blood between the camps, but it's also some theateics to buipd anticipation all while increasing casual exposure. Because once the three biggest names mix it up, there really aren't any big dollar match ups left.

All of the promoters are just trying to maximize their earnings.

True. I think all of them see that whoever comes out with the best record after all of them fight at least twice can fight bums for the rest of their career for big money until they retire or the new young guy KOs and puts them out to pasture.

This the thing they not giving Wilder a 2 fight deal. Their shit not set up that way. Cause the fight between Wilder and Joshua has a rematch clause. So that's the 2 fights right there. Also have to factor in how Hearn went for a few months ago 12-15 mill to now Wilder worth 33+mill per fight. Wilder sees that and feel why the fuck should he allow DAZN to put a cap on his number.

They actually are doing whats best for Wilder by not letting him take a fight where his money is capped. They also have to protect their investment as well. Lets say Wilder loses both fights to Joshua on DAZN. Why would Fox or Showtime now want Wilder on their networks or pay him any decent amount of money?

Espinosa already said he has no problem on showtime's end as long as they get close to equal value fights back on their network in exchange. That shit is fair.

The Breazeale KO was great but nobody wanted to see that fight from the get go so it ain't really move the needle like that for Wilder. Fucked up thing is nobody wants to see the Ortiz rematch either and definitely not on ppv.

Wilder in a tough position and I respect that he is betting on himself but he has to figure some shit out.

Wilder is only in a tough position because his team are holding him back and wont sit down... I just used the 2 fights as an example, as in he could negotiate its clear both fighters would want a rematch clause... With regards to protecting their investment, thats what Im saying, imo Wilder's team are scared to let Wilder fight and bet on him, because if he wins they have all the marbles and power, so bet on him... I really dont think Wilder is scared, its his team worrying about their investment and keeping the belt in house...

You said why cap his earning??? But Wilder said he probably wont even accept a 50/50 now, there is no defending that, theres nothing else to offer if they wont even sit down...

The fight wont happen, if does we will have to wait 2 years until Wilder has fought Ortiz and someone like Kownacki or Arreola which is a joke... He wont even fight Whyte who has been WBC number 1 for like 2 1/2 years, and some how they let Haymon fighter Brazeale jump over him, its a joke... And Dillian Whyte can fight on any network as he is on a fight by fight deal with Matchroom...

That check doesn't cover what he could lose by Showtime not fucking with them anymore or by cutting down on dates. Its bigger than this fight and you have to realize that. Showtime built Wilder and that is part of the reason Showtime and PBC are still working together. Showtime wants a return on that investment. Could Wilder just walk away and sign with dazn of course he can. That would have an effect on PBC going forward with Showtime and that ain't good thing for Wilder, Haymon or PBC.

You can be confident all you want in a fighters ability but we've all seen how judges in boxing fuck obvious things up. So it ain't about how much confidence Haymon has in Wilder.

I get that, thats half the problem for Wilder its thinking 'what if he loses'... AJ still has massive fan base to work with if he loses, Wilder doesnt...

But Al still has a ton of champions who Showtime want though, they wont stop fckn with him if Wilder loses his bit of pulling power... Again like I said though Al should be working for Wilder and whats best for him, and thats getting delivering AJ fight and making some concessions...

Wilder is only in a tough position because his team are holding him back and wont sit down... I just used the 2 fights as an example, as in he could negotiate its clear both fighters would want a rematch clause... With regards to protecting their investment, thats what Im saying, imo Wilder's team are scared to let Wilder fight and bet on him, because if he wins they have all the marbles and power, so bet on him... I really dont think Wilder is scared, its his team worrying about their investment and keeping the belt in house...

You said why cap his earning??? But Wilder said he probably wont even accept a 50/50 now, there is no defending that, theres nothing else to offer if they wont even sit down...

The fight wont happen, if does we will have to wait 2 years until Wilder has fought Ortiz and someone like Kownacki or Arreola which is a joke... He wont even fight Whyte who has been WBC number 1 for like 2 1/2 years, and some how they let Haymon fighter Brazeale jump over him, its a joke... And Dillian Whyte can fight on any network as he is on a fight by fight deal with Matchroom...

All sides are protecting their investment. I can agree that some probably more than others but they all have some bullshit with them.

Ain't no 50/50 to accept if he fights on DAZN cause the purses are already set by the deal he would sign to be on that network. So he just talking shit to be talking shit. Somebody should've called him on that bullshit.

Don't nobody give a fuck about any of those fights. Wilder, Fury and Joshua are all doing themselves a disservice because the only fights people want to see is them against each other. The only person who won't take flack for not fighting them is when 2 of them are facing each other so the odd fighter has to fight somebody in the mean time.

At the end of the day, to simplify it (though its never simple) the fight is either gonna be on DAZN or Showtime... If DAZN are offering more money AND they have more belts its in Wilder's best interests to go there...

If Al said, no... Here is proof of funds, AJ take this 50-60million its on Showtime he would prolly go there Hearn would not be able to stop him...

Back