FEATURED Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Added to Calendar: 05-18-24

test
https://www.boxingscene.com/wilder-manager-still-hopes-fury-rematch-deal-reached--136382

Wilder Manager Still Hopes Fury Rematch Deal Can Be Reached

As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, British heavyweight Tyson Fury has signed a broadcast deal under which his fights will be shown exclusively on ESPN platforms in the United States.

No financial details were disclosed, but British newspaper the Daily Mail reported on Monday that the deal was worth 80 million pounds ($103 million), while the BBC reported that it covered Fury's next five fights.

Fury and promoter Frank Warren signed the deal with Bob Arum's Top Rank, which has a multi-year contract with ESPN, and the agreement calls for Fury to fight a minimum of two bouts per year in the United States.

British broadcaster BT Sport will continue to hold the rights for Fury's fights in the UK.

The deal with ESPN could have an impact on the 30-year-old's rematch with WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder.

The American has been in negotiations with Fury's camp over a rematch of their Dec. 1 draw at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, but Wilder has a long-term relationship with rival U.S. television network Showtime.

In recent weeks, a deal appeared to be close with an ordered purse bid pushed back several times by the WBC.

Their bout in December was aired on Showtime in the United States, and the two fighters' relationships with the rival networks could complicate negotiations over the rematch.

Wilder’s manager Shelly Finkel, told ESPN that he still hopes a deal can be reached for the rematch.

“We are hoping to make the fight and figure out how with this new relationship they have with ESPN that it can be done. I would want to try to make it with Showtime and ESPN (working together). Al Haymon wants to make the fight and that whatever is realistic will get done," Finkel said.

https://www.boxingscene.com/tyson-fury-wilder-joshua-i-call-shots-its-my-show-now--136379

Tyson Fury To Wilder, Joshua: I Call The Shots, It's My Show Now!

Tyson Fury has agreed a lucrative multi-fight deal to be co-promoted by Bob Arum's Top Rank Boxing.

The former IBF, WBA, IBO and WBO champion and his promoter Frank Warren announced the deal, said to be worth £80 million, on Monday.

His fights will now be shown on ESPN in the United States, while BT Sport will continue to broadcast his bouts in the United Kingdom.

The news will cast doubt over a potential rematch with WBC champion Deontay Wilder, who has a deal with Showtime, while any future domestic dust-up between Fury and Anthony Joshua may also be complicated due to the latter's contract with streaming service DAZN. Now all three of the sport's top heavyweights are aligned with rival networks.

However, Fury is confident the announcement will not stop an agreement being reached with Wilder for a second meeting between the pair.

"It's the Tyson Fury show now. I've got the biggest TV platform in the world. I call the shots. I still want the biggest fights and that includes Wilder and Joshua," Fury said.

Fury's co-promoter, Frank Warren, added. 'The lineal champion is now in the No 1 position and getting everything he wants.

"ESPN have almost 3 million subscribers and BT here and he has the respect he deserves both sides of the Atlantic... the game has changed dramatically... Showtime are no longer the only show in town for Wilder now that ESPN are in the field. That will involve a lot more discussion.

"As for Joshua, we wanted that also but they didn't... Now they will have to come to us."

Fury is looking at three fights this year and added: "After all the hard work I could fight so I want the first no later than May. I will fight whoever is put in front of me."

https://www.boxingscene.com/arum-wilder-fury-rematch-next-we-know--136385

Arum: Wilder-Fury Rematch Could Be Next, But We Don't Know
By Keith Idec

Bob Arum is more than open to Tyson Fury fighting Deontay Wilder next.

The Hall-of-Fame promoter just needs to know how willing those that work with Deontay Wilder will be to work with his company and ESPN to make that immediate rematch happen. Now that Arum’s Top Rank Inc. has signed England’s Fury to a multi-fight agreement for the lineal heavyweight champion to box on ESPN in the United States, he’ll help co-promoter Frank Warren decide Fury’s next move.

A deal nearly was finalized late last week for Fury (27-0-1, 19 KOs) to challenge Wilder (40-0-1, 39 KOs) for his WBC title again May 18 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Those working on Wilder’s behalf believed that the deal would be consummated soon and announced perhaps as early as sometime this week.

That all changed when ESPN issued a press release Monday morning to announce Fury’s new partnership with Top Rank and ESPN. Those two companies formed an exclusive content alliance in June 2017.

“It could be next,” Arum told BoxingScene.com regarding the Wilder-Fury rematch. “We don’t know. We’re not gonna be playing around with anybody. But if everybody is reasonable and wants to do what I think is right for the fighters and the fans, it’ll get done. But again, ESPN – you can talk about promoters and this and that – but ESPN is no schlock outfit. ESPN is the big leagues, and we’re playing in the big leagues now, not with people are that are advisers and promoters and you don’t know what they are. This signals, I think, a new day.”

The 87-year-old Arum acknowledged that an immediate rematch with Wilder is the most profitable fight Fury can take at the moment. Arum also made it clear that unless he and Warren get can what they want for Fury to fight the hard-hitting Wilder again, Fury has other options he can explore.

Top Rank recently signed Bulgarian contender Kubrat Pulev to a co-promotional agreement. The 36-year-old Pulev (26-1, 13 KOs) has lost only to retired former champion Wladimir Klitschko (64-5, 53 KOs), whom Fury upset in November 2015 to win the IBF, IBO, WBA and WBO championships in Dusseldorf, Germany.

Wilder, meanwhile, knocked down Fury in the ninth and 12th rounds of their December 1 fight at Staples Center in Los Angeles. Until Monday morning, they appeared headed toward an immediate rematch May 18.

Now Arum and other Top Rank employees will begin negotiating with Wilder’s team, which consists of adviser Al Haymon and co-managers Jay Deas and Shelly Finkel.

“That’s a fight that should happen,” Arum said, referring to the Wilder-Fury rematch. “But again, it’s not the end of the world. It has to happen and it has to happen on the terms that make sense for us, for the fighters, for ESPN. I mean, let’s be honest about it – Showtime did a very good job for boxing when it was Showtime and HBO. But this is past the era of Showtime and HBO. Showtime and HBO are great entertainment channels, but they play to a relatively small audience and an older audience.

“And therefore, their megaphones are not what a megaphone is for a sports network that programs on multiple channels 24 hours a day. Now, with ESPN being the megaphone, any pay-per-view fight worth its salt, like a Fury-Wilder fight, will out-perform anything that they had before. This is a different, different era that we’re getting into, and we’re not playing around with the old way things were done.”

ESPN, a basic cable channel, is available in approximately 86 million homes in the United States. Showtime, a premium cable network, has roughly 27 million American subscribers.

CE7A6C24-AEAF-4669-B342-435C89B73634.gif

So it takes fury to get signed for people to FINALLY realize Bob is the one who blocks fights...

Amazing.....

Like I say certain shit doesn't surprise me anymore... But boxing politics does it every time

So it takes fury to get signed for people to FINALLY realize Bob is the one who blocks fights...

Amazing.....

Like I say certain shit doesn't surprise me anymore... But boxing politics does it every time

Don’t tell that Steve Kim tho...

WBC have ordered the fight right??? So Fury/Wilder at worst would go to purse bids, which Frank/Bob or Uncle Al would win, so I think we will still get the fight...

Just been watching all the Joshua/Miller presser vids, my god I hope Joshua sparks Miller out, Miller's trash talking is mad wack cringeworthy...

Last edited:
Reactions: dasmooth1

One of the better fights in the last 5 years.

Porter has gotten better.

Thurman wouldn't win a rematch.

@HarryHippie @Duwop

Do yall think Spence should carry Garcia in the fight and make it seem closer before a late round KO just so he could possibly make Porter, Thurman and Danny Garcia actually want to fight him? Might give the impression that he's not as good as they thought he was if a smaller Mikey Garcia can make the fight close.

If he blows out Garcia in a few rounds it will look good and folks will say Garcia was small but that still might make those 3 not even want to fight Spence unless the really have to.