Welcome To aBlackWeb

Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Added to Calendar: 05-18-24

Who Wins Tonight?

• Tank Davis

• Frank Martin

Results are only viewable after voting.
https://www.boxingscene.com/espinoza-showtime-not-going-anywhere-spending-more-2019--132140

Espinoza: Showtime Not Going Anywhere; Spending More $$$ In 2019
By Keith Idec

Stephen Espinoza recognizes the value in the increasing competition for broadcasting boxing.

The more exposure the sport gets from other networks and streaming services, the better it ultimately will be for Showtime’s viewership. Espinoza, Showtime’s president for sports and event programming, believes this to be particularly true of Premier Boxing Champions’ new deal with FOX, which is available in nearly 120 million households in the United States.

Al Haymon’s PBC and FOX announced a partnership September 5 through which the broadcast network will air 10 cards per year, as well as 12 PBC shows per year on FS1, its basic cable channel, and multiple FOX pay-per-view cards. Six days earlier, Showtime announced its own new three-year deal with PBC, which will include 12 “Showtime Championship Boxing” cards per year.

The first PBC/FOX show as part of that new agreement will take place on an undetermined December date. Showtime, which has aired PBC events since PBC’s launch early in 2015, will begin its new monthly PBC series sometime in January.

“As much as we love the sport of boxing,” Espinoza said, “there is no realistic way that we could service everything that we would wanna do. For the health of the sport, the sport needs multiple networks. And the addition of a network outlet supporting boxing is a great thing for everyone who’s invested in the sport. Does it mean that occasionally we’ll be jealous if FOX gets a great fight? Sure, a little bit.

“At the same time, that’s an important part of building new fans for the sport. And given the stars that we have on Showtime, we are confident that wherever the new fans come from, ultimately they’ll be showing up to watch Showtime because that’s where the current generation of stars and the future generations are gonna be.”

By the time it airs a “ShoBox: The New Generation” card Friday night from Temecula, California, Showtime will have televised 22 cards through its “Showtime Championship Boxing” and “ShoBox” series within the first nine months of this year. Promoter Bob Arum, whose company has an exclusive content partnership with ESPN, recently suggested Showtime, like HBO, will stop broadcasting boxing in the not-too-distant future

Espinoza explained that Arum’s assessment couldn’t be further from the truth.

Showtime will invest even more resources into its boxing brand in 2019, not less money. Showtime is owned by CBS, which also owns BoxingScene.com.

“As a general comment, I don’t think [Arum] understands our business as well as he thinks he does,” Espinoza said. “Boxing is an important and valuable part of Showtime’s business. Our subscribers respond positively to it and it definitely drives business for us. We’ve been in this sport for over 30 years and, arguably, the last few years have been the strongest period in that entire history. We’ve spent more on boxing this year than we have in the past several years. And next year, we’ll be doing even more. So the reality is regardless of whatever his perceptions are or his assumptions about the business are, we are committed to the sport of boxing. We’re not going anywhere. We’re as excited and positive about the future of the sport as we’ve ever been. It is an important part of our business.

“I think it’s great that more networks are waking up and realizing what a great sport boxing is, and that other networks and platforms are getting into a sport that we’ve been in for 30 years. It’s a positive thing for the sport. But from the Showtime perspective, we have been the industry leader in terms of the quality of the fights, in terms of the amount of fights and in terms of building the next generation of stars. And that’s not gonna change going forward. We intend to be the industry leader for a long time to come.”

https://www.boxingscene.com/wilders-team-no-desire-new-meeting-on-joshua-deal--132166

Wilder's Team Have 'No Desire' For New Meeting on Joshua Deal

Shelly Finkel, co-manager of WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder, has no desire to meet with Matchroom Sport's Barry Hearn to discuss a new deal for an April 2019 unification with IBF, WBA, IBO and WBO heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua.

Wilder is scheduled to defend his world title against Tyson Fury on December 1.

But Hearn wants a deal in place for April, before Wilder even steps in the ring with Fury. However, a victory in December would provide Wilder with a lot more leverage in a future negotiations.

Finkel believes the meeting would be a waste of time - based on past interactions with Joshua's handlers and because they have failed to place down a real deal on the table.

"I have sent three separate emails to Barry saying that I have no desire to meet with Barry unless I have a real offer for Wilder to meet Joshua," Finkel told Sky Sports.

"He and I have been in the business long enough to know what that offer would look like."

A few days ago, the younger Eddie Hearn of Matchroom had made it clear that Wilder was the top target for Joshua's next fight.

"We have got a couple of months. We have made it quite clear we don't want to wait until [Wilder fights Fury on] December 1 to see what happens. We want to get a deal in place to know before then. The absolute sole focus for us right now is to fight Deontay Wilder for the undisputed title in April," Eddie Hearn said.

Joshua returned to the ring on Saturday night and knocked out Alexander Povetkin at Wembley Stadium in London.

Afterwards, they began fan poll on Twitter - where the public overwhelmingly pushed for Joshua to take on Wilder.

According to Finkel, no new deal has been presented to them.

"Team Joshua does not care what fight the public that supports them wants," Finkel said.

"If they did, they would follow the poll they created to determine who the public wants Joshua to fight next. The public spoke and Joshua hid.

"Where is the new offer? Nowhere to be found."

Heard a rumour today that Keith Thurman going to return to the ring to a fight with zab Judah

Lol cut it out du

We all know Zab is one of @King Du favorites but I heard that same thing. My only issue with that fight is Zab been washed up. I get its a comeback fight from injuries but Thurman needs to pick someone better than Zab IMO if that is who it winds up being.

We all know Zab is one of @King Du favorites but I heard that same thing. My only issue with that fight is Zab been washed up. I get its a comeback fight from injuries but Thurman needs to pick someone better than Zab IMO if that is who it winds up being.

Nigga Jamie Calderon gotta prettt big boxing group on Facebook

Dude is one of the more reliable non press sources... He's normally on point

Screenshot_20180926-092143.png

https://www.boxingscene.com/hbo-lea...132225?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
According to an article in the New York Times, HBO is officially leaving boxing after 45 years.

HBO Sports Executive Vice President Peter Nelson made the announcement that HBO was dropping boxing Thursday morning in a meeting with the HBO Boxing production staff.

“This is not a subjective decision,” Nelson said to the New York Times. “Our audience research informs us that boxing is no longer a determinant factor for subscribing to HBO.”

When Top Rank left, the network lost rising fighters like Terence Crawford, Vasyl Lomachenko and numerous others.

And Showtime significantly expanded their boxing coverage, with top fighters like Deontay Wilder, Errol Spence and Mikey Garcia making SHO their home.

Promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom has also arrived with new streaming service DAZN, and nearly every boxer is his stable - including several that were featured on HBO - will be exclusively featured on the network.

Premier Boxing Champions, which boasts a massive stable of over 100 contracted fighters, also signed multi-year deals with FOX and Showtime to provide boxing content on a regular basis.

HBO has also faced declining ratings over the last few years. Their recent Super Fly 3 tripleheader - which took place on September 8 - peaked at 349,000 viewers, making it one of the lowest-rated live televised event in the network's history.

HBO's two biggest stars, Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin, became network free agents after their recent HBO Pay-Per-View rematch two weeks ago in Las Vegas.

Nelson left the door open for a potential "special" one-time event - if the fight was big enough.

“There’s plenty of boxing out there,” Nelson said. “But what we have not seen is a lot of signature destination fights.”

“Because of our association with boxing, people forget that we’re not a sports network. We’re a storytelling platform.”

“I’m still a fan of boxing. If there is a destination event, absolutely we’re in that conversation.”

only cable premium channel i have is showtime.. and that's just for boxing.. and i also have the espn steaming service for boxing...

fans of the sport will find a way to watch.. sucks for hbo tho....

i appreciate their efforts in making manny/floyd 1 happen tho......

i hope they do a greatest moments tribute...

Back