Welcome To aBlackWeb

Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Added to Calendar: 05-18-24

Who Wins Tonight?

• Tank Davis

• Frank Martin

Results are only viewable after voting.
We on the same page, I just been hearing that he old shit in media etc. yea Canelo get all the close calls but we know what that is. Fuck that shit tho, I'm ready to see boo boo against Billie joe.

Definitely

I got Andrade winning that. It just seems his overall boxing game is better than Saunders to me. Who you got?

I wanna see the 3rd fight even though i think it would be a less even fight when it happens.. But both of them washing anyone else period... GGG should retire by 2020

as an aside
Its gets lost in peoples fandom the skills these two cats possess because of extreme rooting interest and you know how that is..

I wanna see the 3rd fight even though i think it would be a less even fight when it happens.. But both of them washing anyone else period... GGG should retire by 2020

as an aside
Its gets lost in peoples fandom the skills these two cats possess because of extreme rooting interest and you know how that is..

If Andrade is who I think he is I don't see GGG washing him. Andrade could really box, stick and move on GGG for a full 3 mins of 12 rounds. Andrade has faster feet and hands than Canelo as well as having a longer reach. Andrade 73 1/2in reach; GGG 70in reach. Tough for GGG to get past that with a boxer of the skill level of Andrade and the movement without taking a lot punches to hopefully get inside to do his work.

5 years ago he was on of those oh man he has potential niggas... but Its seems to be a waste in the same way Gamboa was a waste.. he still has time curious to see how he does vs Saunders and there after

as an aside

I watched the fight again and i can see how they had Canelo winning.

I can see how too. I can see what they were thinking and him obliging and fighting/moving with intent but he didnt imo ill watch again soon

5 years ago he was on of those oh man he has potential niggas... but Its seems to be a waste in the same way Gamboa was a waste.. he still has time curious to see how he does vs Saunders and there after

Exactly why I said "If he is who I think he is" You remember that nigga just like I do. I think he still has it, he just has to fight on a consistent basis and we all will find out if he got it or if it was fool's gold.

Last edited:

as an aside

2 good fights move on and fight new opponents the division has solid names let them get smoke. What's Gonna change in the 3rd fight. If it's another close fight then they will call for a fourth like manny and Marquez. Me personally I'm good on that.

Exactly why I said "If he is who I think he is" You remember that nigga just like I do. I think he still has it, he just has to fight on a consistent basis and we all will find out if he got it or if it was fool's gold.

Yea I'm pulling for boo boo I wanna see him win, I think Billie been holding that strap hostage with no real risk. But like yall said been waiting on dude to make moves, but he and or his team wasn't making the right business moves to stay active.

2 good fights move on and fight new opponents the division has solid names let them get smoke. What's Gonna change in the 3rd fight. If it's another close fight then they will call for a fourth like Manny and Marquez. Me personally I'm good on that.
anything can change it might be more lopsided more definitive and just for the annuals of boxing history as far as rivalries go

And the 4th fight gave us that closure and was the perfect bow on a great rivalry. These new cats needs to have rivals outside of the twitter verse.. Canelo got a long time left in his journey smoke will be given

anything can change it might be more lopsided more definitive and just for the annuals of boxing history as far as rivalries go

And the 4th fight gave us that closure and was the perfect bow on a great rivalry. These new cats needs to have rivals outside of the twitter verse.. Canelo got a long time left in his journey smoke will be given

Having rivals doesn't mean these fighters need to fight the same person 3 times in a row. If these fighters fight quality opponents they can fight many different opponents while still having rematches in between those fights.

For the record Marquez and Manny never fought each other back to back. They always had other fights in between their rematches.

If Canelo and GGG would've happened sooner like it should've then both of them mixing in other fights wouldn't be an issue.

I'm against a 3rd fight as well. Time to move on. I say that just cause all the advantages going forward are easily in Canelo favor.

https://www.boxingscene.com/david-benavidez-comes-up-positive-cocaine-vada-test--131961

David Benavidez Comes Up Positive For Cocaine in VADA Test
By Rick Reeno

BoxingScene.com has been advised that WBC super middleweight champion David Benavidez came up positive for cocaine in connection to a random drug test administered by VADA [Voluntary Anti-Doping Association] on August 27th.

The random test was given to Benavidez as part of his enrollment in the World Boxing Council's Clean Boxing Program.

At the moment, Benavidez has not signed a contract to fight in the coming months - which means his punishment will be limited to an undetermined fine from the WBC.

Sources have advised BoxingScene that Benavidez came up clean in all of his past tests - which indicates that his recent failure is likely an isolated incident.

Benavidez is still scheduled to fight again before the year is over.

Attempts to reach Benavidez's promoter, Sampson Lewkowicz, were unsuccessful.

Benavidez (20-0, 17 KOs) is bound to make a mandatory defense against top contender Anthony Dirrell (32-1-1, 24 KOs).

On May 21, the World Boxing Council had ordered them to fight, and a purse bid, scheduled for June, was canceled after both sides reached a deal.

Their fight was initially targeted for this month.

Last year, Benavidez and Dirrell were scheduled to fight each other for the vacant WBC title - but Dirrell withdrew with an injury, and he was later replaced by Ronald Gavril.

Dirrell holds the number 2 ranking under the WBC. Callum Smith, who is part of the World Boxing Super Series tournament, is ranked at 1.

Dirrell previously held the WBC title and lost the belt by way of a close twelve round majority decision to Badou Jack in April of 2015.

Since that loss, he's won five fights in a row - with a dominating decision earlier this year over Abraham Han.

Benavidez had previously reached a deal to defend his title against former Olympian Matt Korobov (28-1, 14 KOs) of Russia on July 28.

But that contest was canceled when Benavidez became involved in a minor promotional dispute. He attempted to break away from Sampson Boxing and signed a promotional deal with Top Rank. However, he quickly had a change of heart and returned to Sampson Boxing in less than two weeks time - after Lewkowicz filed a legal suit.

Benavidez retained his world title back in February, when he won a dominant twelve round decision in his rematch with Ronald Gavril.

https://www.boxingscene.com/arum-lomachenko-wants-mikey-garcia-fight-right-pedraza--131964

Arum: Lomachenko Wants Mikey Garcia Fight Right After Pedraza
By Keith Idec

LAS VEGAS – Bob Arum had another conversation recently with Robert Garcia regarding his younger brother boxing Vasiliy Lomachenko.

The Hall-of-Fame promoter expressed to Mikey Garcia’s older brother/trainer that he wants to begin negotiations for that fascinating fight right after Lomachenko defeats Jose Pedraza in their lightweight title unification fight. Ukraine’s Lomachenko (11-1, 9 KOs), the WBA 135-pound champion, and Puerto Rico’s Pedraza (25-1, 12 KOs), the WBO champion, are scheduled to square off December 8 in The Theater at Madison Square Garden (ESPN).

According to Arum, if Lomachenko wins it shouldn’t be difficult to make Lomachenko-Garcia because Lomachenko has expressed that’s the fight he wants right after facing Pedraza.

Arum claims his company’s contentious history with Mikey Garcia won’t prohibit them from making a deal for a Lomachenko fight. Top Rank Inc. promoted Mikey Garcia for his first 34 fights, but a financial dispute led to Garcia buying himself out of his promotional contract in May 2016 and ultimately kept him out of the ring for 2½ years.

“The only conversation I had was with Robert,” Arum said. “I said, ‘Tell your brother to shut the f*ck up. Lomachenko is fighting Pedraza in December. And if he wins, I promise you I’ll sit down with Mikey right after that fight and try to make a fight with Loma.’ That’s the best I can do. I’m not gonna sit [down with him] now and make the fight, when [Lomachenko] has a fight coming up.

“But I promise – I told Robert. He was there [Friday night in Fresno]. He’s a great trainer. He trains [Jose] Ramirez, so he was up in Fresno and we had time to talk. That’s all I can say. Loma wants that fight, but he has to beat Pedraza first. And then it’s a really interesting fight because each guy has two lightweight titles, and the winner has all four.”

Arum considers Lomachenko-Garcia a pay-per-view fight.

“Not the greatest, not the biggest pay-per-view fight,” Arum said, “but it would certainly do enough business. … So that’s a good fight to look forward to next year. We really wanna do that fight, [all] bullsh*t aside.”

Mikey Garcia (39-0, 30 KOs), who holds the IBF and WBC lightweight titles, has continually talked this summer about moving up two weight classes to challenge unbeaten IBF welterweight champ Errol Spence Jr. (24-0, 21 KOs). Even though Garcia is considered one of the top boxers, pound-for-pound, in the sport, he would be a huge underdog against the bigger, stronger Spence.

“All Robert keeps saying to me,” Arum said, “is, ‘My brother’s out of his mind. I’ll do anything possible that he doesn’t fight Spence.’ ”

Lomachenko, while highly skilled, is at least considered an opponent Garcia could beat. Arum just hopes Mikey Garcia is reasonable when the time comes to negotiate.

“He’s saying that he wants the fight,” Arum said. “Now, when we sit down with him, as long as he’s willing to take a guarantee, with a percentage, OK. But if he starts asking crazy numbers, then who could afford to do it?”

https://www.boxingscene.com/adonis-stevenson-vs-oleksandr-gvozdyk-card-coming-together--131992

Adonis Stevenson vs. Oleksandr Gvozdyk Card Coming Together
By Luke Furman

Groupe Yvon Michel (GYM) confirmed to RDS that everything is coming together his December event, which is going to be headlined with Adonis Stevenson making his tenth defense of the World Boxing Council (WBC) light heavyweight title against Olympic bronze medalist Oleksandr Gvozdyk.

The contest will take place at the Videotron Center in Canada on December 1st.

Stevenson (29-1-1, 24 KOs) will jump into the ring for the first time since his majority draw against Badou Jack on May 19. As for Gvozdyk (15-0, 12 KOs), the 31-year-old Ukrainian who is the mandatory contender for the Montrealer, had a unanimous decision win over Mehdi Amar in March to secure the WBC's interim title in the division.

GYM CEO Yvon Michel added that Marie-Eve-Dicaire (13-0, 0 KOs), Oscar Rivas (24-0, 17 KOs), Mikael Zewski (31-1, 22 KOs) and Sebastien Bouchard (16-1, 6 KOs) will also be a part of this event.

Michel, who promotes two other light heavyweight champions, has a very busy schedule to close out the year.

GYM will be part of a Matchroom card on October 6th, when Artur Beterbiev (12-0, 12 KOs) will stake his International Boxing Federation ( IBF) world title against his mandatory challenger, Callum Johnson (17-0, 12 KOs), in Chicago.

As for his newest champion, Eleider Alvarez (24-0, 12 KOs), he is waiting for the outcome of the negotiations between GYM and Main Events with respect to the rematch against Sergey Kovalev (32-3-1, 28 KOs).

Alvarez gained a resounding knockout over Kovalev on August 4 to capture the World Boxing Organization (WBO) title. Kovalev was down three times in the seventh round before the contest was waved off.

GYM was hoping to stage this fight on January 19 or 26 of 2019. But as BoxingScene.com reported a few days ago, the fight is heading to February 2 - likely at a venue in Texas.

https://www.boxingscene.com/bob-arum-hbo-showtime-belong-boxing-anymore--132001

Bob Arum: HBO and Showtime Don't Belong In Boxing Anymore
By Keith Idec

LAS VEGAS – A few hours before the biggest boxing match of 2018, Bob Arum wasn’t ready to call Canelo Alvarez-Gennady Golovkin the last high-profile pay-per-view fight HBO would ever televise.

The outspoken promoter, whose company long prospered from its work with HBO, is still convinced that the premium cable network soon will move away from broadcasting boxing. Arum also suspects Showtime, which has committed more dates and resources to boxing in recent years than its longtime rival, won’t continue airing boxing much longer, either.

Speculation intensified during the buildup toward the Alvarez-Golovkin rematch regarding HBO’s future in boxing because their respective promoters revealed that the middleweight stars both would be network free agents after their second bout.

“How can I say?,” Arum told a small group of reporters when asked if he thinks Alvarez-Golovkin would be HBO’s last major pay-per-view event. “What do I know? I’m saying HBO doesn’t belong in boxing, Showtime doesn’t belong in boxing. They’re entertainment networks and I think they’re beginning to realize that. You don’t spend money on an entertainment event that opens and closes the same night.

“You don’t spend money, which they don’t anymore. That’s the key. How many concerts do you see on HBO or Showtime? None. Both of them used to do it. Different philosophy. Now their competition, for both, is one competitor, and that’s Netflix – not schmuck boxing, not ESPN. That’s different.”

Arum’s company, Top Rank Inc., entered an exclusive television and streaming partnership with ESPN in June 2017. The Hall-of-Fame promoter believes streaming will become boxing fans’ favored method of consuming the sport in the not-too-distant future.

Fans can watch boxing live via Showtime’s streaming app, the same way they can consume ESPN’s boxing programming through the basic cable network’s ESPN+ app. HBO doesn’t offer fans the option of streaming boxing live, but like ESPN and Showtime, subscribers can stream replays through hbogo.com.

HBO has approximately 32 million subscribers, roughly eight million more than Showtime (24 million). ESPN is available in an estimated 87 million homes in the United States.

HBO has televised 10 live events through its “World Championship Boxing” and “Boxing After Dark” series in 2018, whereas Showtime has aired 18 live events, including “Showtime Championship Boxing” and “ShoBox: The New Generation” broadcasts. As part of its recently announced, seven-year deal with ESPN, Top Rank will at least help produce 54 live boxing events per year through 2025 (18 prime-time cards on ESPN, 12 prime-time shows on ESPN+ and 24 international events on ESPN+).

“Let’s be honest – look what’s happening,” Arum said. “The premium networks saved boxing. They came in, they paid more than the networks, they took it over and we’ve been living off them for the last 20 years. Right? Their time is over. Why? Because they’re entertainment networks. They make their money on entertainment – on Succession, on Sopranos, on Sex and the City, on Billions. That’s their business. It’s stupid business for them to put money into boxing, where the fight opens and closes the same night. After it’s done, it has no more value to them.

“If you put that into a series and that original programming, and that series hits, then you can syndicate it for billions of dollars. HBO now realizes that and you will see, in my opinion, HBO out of boxing. And now with the change at CBS [from former CEO Les Moonves, who resigned recently, to Joseph Ianniello], you’ll see Showtime be out of boxing. But [Al] Haymon has FOX, which belongs in boxing. We have ESPN, which belongs in boxing. And five years from now, the linear platform won’t mean sh*t. Everything will be streaming – everything. Entertainment, sports, everything will be streaming.”

CBS owns Showtime. CBS also purchased BoxingScene.com in June.

Arum admits he wouldn’t have said such things when Top Rank did almost all of its broadcasting business with HBO, which regularly paid seven-figure license fees for fights Top Rank promoted.

“Of course not,” a smiling Arum said. “We all sucked on their t*t.”

7FBFE39A-2F60-4AE8-87FB-09C6DB11B9CE.gif

Back