Welcome To aBlackWeb

MTA ends cash transactions at subway booths

the ultimate question is: does this help or hurt people in the long run? does this add more time to folxs daily commute? what is the plan for those that may not use cash or have access to banks (debit card/credit cards) ? will this be sustainable for tourist coming from outside the country?

ultimately, is this move convenient for ALL people?

you should arrive at H E L L N O

it helps people in the long run.

kiosks are faster than booths agents so i say it reduces daily commute.

people without bank cards can use cash, people without cash can use their bank cards. If you have neither, the subway is the least of your concern.

NYC hates tourists so fuck em.

things will never be convenient for "ALL people" so shoot for the majority, and as i've seen the majority uses kiosks.

The biggest issue here imo is the booth workers losing their jobs, and as I've said some of them as rude as hell and shouldn't be dealing with people anyways.

First and foremost, most major metropolitan cities already operate without booth operators. DC, LA, etc. I’m surprised it took NYC this long.

Secondly, one of the reasons the toll is high is because the MTA is paying all these people to do very little. I’d rather reassign them to more upkeep duty, and dirty as the stations are.

Third, there are enough kiosks in each station to where it doesn’t slow down anyone’s commute.

And I’d appreciate it if you keep your bubble headed ass off my reactions. You’re wrong on this one. Just eat it.

Since when did subway in DC get rid of station managers? I haven't caught the train in years but never heard of them getting rid of station managers

it helps people in the long run.

kiosks are faster than booths agents so i say it reduces daily commute.

people without bank cards can use cash, people without cash can use their bank cards. If you have neither, the subway is the least of your concern.

NYC hates tourists so fuck em.

things will never be convenient for "ALL people" so shoot for the majority, and as i've seen the majority uses kiosks.

The biggest issue here imo is the booth workers losing their jobs, and as I've said some of them as rude as hell and shouldn't be dealing with people anyways.

what kiosk you be using thats faster than dumping $2.75 in someones hand and going about your day?

public transportation SHOULD benefit those without bank cards the most

since it was designed to provide people, mainly the working poor, with mobility and access to employment, community services, recreational activities etc

what kiosk you be using thats faster than dumping $2.75 in someones hand and going about your day?

the same kiosk that according to you don't work half the time. i've used kiosks in every borough as well as jersey, and have never had an issue. the most you'll see is a kiosk not taking cash, in which case you just go to any of other the other 3 or more in the same area.

sometimes booth ops are working with other people, sometimes the booth ops are tallying their coins, sometimes the booth ops are doing "paperwork" (FOH), or sometimes the booth ops themselves are just slow. in all those cases it's faster to feed $2 and 3 quarters to a kiosk.

public transportation SHOULD benefit those without bank cards the most

since it was designed to provide people, mainly the working poor, with mobility and access to employment, community services, recreational activities etc

public transport should benefit the majority. a majority which does include the folks you mentioned. if it didn't you'd see booth & kiosks being shut down, and more turnstiles that all you have to do is tap your bank card.

public transport should benefit the majority. a majority which does include the folks you mentioned. if it didn't you'd see booth & kiosks being shut down, and more turnstiles that all you have to do is tap your bank card.

and the majority of the people that ride the train are what?

“Americans who are lower-income, black or Hispanic, immigrants or under 50 are especially likely to use public transportation on a regular basis.”

39AC64E5-BA91-43D5-A7A7-81218D42BF3D.png

the same kiosk that according to you don't work half the time. i've used kiosks in every borough as well as jersey, and have never had an issue. the most you'll see is a kiosk not taking cash, in which case you just go to any of other the other 3 or more in the same area.

sometimes booth ops are working with other people, sometimes the booth ops are tallying their coins, sometimes the booth ops are doing "paperwork" (FOH), or sometimes the booth ops themselves are just slow. in all those cases it's faster to feed $2 and 3 quarters to a kiosk.

the stations could use BOTH!

a share of kiosk, booth workers and anything else that helps consumers

the end

Yeah, I'm not seeing the problem here. I'm a Metro rider in DC, and it sounds like NYC is moving to what DC has been doing. The poor and homeless have no problem getting around here. I can't speak on how well the machines in the NYC subway work, but if they work, this shouldn't really negatively impact the ability of the poor to get around.

DC has been like this for years. They have plenty of kiosk at each station. They do both cash and card. You can buy your metro cards from them as well. Each station does have people there but you dont buy stuff from them. They are there to help. They can help people at the kiosk or if you need help reading the maps. They also call security if need be. They are fast if you are use to it. The locals are use to it. People that are not, get one of them workers to assist. Going to a booth during rush hour would be slower. Especially if you are behind a person that is new to the metro. Kiosk work majority of the time. Never had a day where it wasn't. Metro has been taking a hit for years though. Bleeding money so they raise fairs or cut back operation time. Pandemic aint help.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the problem here. I'm a Metro rider in DC, and it sounds like NYC is moving to what DC has been doing. The poor and homeless have no problem getting around here. I can't speak on how well the machines in the NYC subway work, but if they work, this shouldn't really negatively impact the ability of the poor to get around.

stop comapring dc to nyc

no comparison whatsoever

For the people that use the cards is there a app that you can use that you can link your bank account to?

Back